Caspian Frame Materials - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-20-2001, 01:38 AM

Caspian Frame Materials

I've heard that Caspian is offering a Titanium frame. I didn't see one on the web site, http://www.caspianarmsltd.8m.com
but I thought someone here might know amore bout it. I also wanted to know if a pistolsmith can checker this frame without special tools. I know that Ti can be a finicky metal.

I also wanted to know more about the Damascus Steel frames and slides. Does anyone have a pic of Damascus Stainless? It caught my attention. I was considering a pistol built from the ground up, and with the waiting list for some of these smiths, I didn't think that lead time would be a problem.

I just wondered if this is a material for a gun, or for a work of art I put on a pedestal and just look at from time to time.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo
Old 05-20-2001, 01:57 AM

I kinda' like this one...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<< <<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!
Old 05-20-2001, 12:27 PM

Electric Armadillo
I've heard that Caspian is offering a Titanium frame. I didn't see one on the web site,
http://www.caspianarmsltd.8m.com
but I thought someone here might know amore bout it.

Yes Caspian is offering a Ti frame. They also recomend you have it coated before use. Cp bullets (now CP indoor )just put one together and it works just fine. It is not coated as of yet.

I also wanted to know if a pistolsmith can
checker this frame without special tools. I know that Ti can be a finicky metal.

Ti can be hard to drill espically. We will look at checkering them in the future. Ti probably will not have the issues of the feed ramp that alum does. Probably 6al4v so it is 35rc ish. harder than most frames out there.
but Gary would know for sure. We have made 20 plus comps out of ti as have several other Smith's so it is machineable. With a checkering file or machine checker is a good question.

I also wanted to know more about the Damascus Steel frames and slides. Does anyone have a
pic of Damascus Stainless? It caught my attention. I was considering a pistol built from the
ground up, and with the waiting list for some of these smiths, I didn't think that lead time would
be a problem.

Good point, Last slide we waited for took 4 month's. We have put 3 together and have not seen any issues at this point. probalby 2k rounds through each gun. Not Competition level but a good impression can be had.

I just wondered if this is a material for a gun, or for a work of art I put on a pedestal and just
look at from time to time.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo

Good Questions, Hopfully Gary will add on monday.
geo ><>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2001, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the interest in the Tianium units. We have been messing around with this material for seveal years. We tried machining a slide out of barstock but it had a tendency to 'claw' when hot and we did not feel that it held up well enough for this application.
Ruger came up with the alloy that machines nicely for titanium and holds up really well.
I know folks out there have built guns on these frames without coatings or rails that function, but I still think coating or anodizing is a good idea. It is not officially on the market, but you can get them. Yes, it can be checkered.
the damascas is made in Sweden and trade names under Damasteel and is as durable as it is beautiful, so go ahead and shoot it. That's what it's made for. Delivery time for damascus is getting better.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:08 PM

How does the weight of the titanium frame compare with that of an aluminum frame?
Old 05-23-2001, 10:45 PM

Matt

The course answer is ti is 60% the weight
of steel and alum is 40%
hope this helps
geo ><>
Old 05-24-2001, 05:08 PM

Looks like the Damascus steel is a definate winner. I love the way it looks.

Now for the big choice, receiver, slide, or both? Maybe a Damascus slide over a Ti receiver, hope that doesn't make it to top heavy... Well, I have four years on a waiting list to decide.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

[This message has been edited by Electric_Armadillo (edited 05-24-2001).]
Old 05-26-2001, 08:27 AM

Gyp_c,
Whose blaster is that? Can you tell us more about the Parts used?
Old 06-05-2001, 04:45 AM

How durable is Titanium compared to steel?Can a Titanium pistol last a lifetime of lots of shooting?

This is a interesting pistol built totally of Titanium.
[file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/tiki2_375_375.jpg]
Old 06-05-2001, 04:47 AM

By the way,how does one post a picture on here?Thanks

SHOKz
Old 06-05-2001, 09:26 AM

Ti is very light, stong, and more springy than steel. Due to its unique properties, its also difficult to work with, although easier than Berylium. I'm uncertain which property corresponds to wear resistance (Probably Rockwell or Brinnell hardness)but I'm sure that Ti will last a lifetime of shooting.

As for posting a pic, (img)http://public website where the image is stored(/img) except you replace the round brackets with square ones [].

[This message has been edited by Electric_Armadillo (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old 06-05-2001, 01:20 PM

[img][http://www.sviguns.com/catalog99/tiki1_368_206.jpg][/img]
Old 06-05-2001, 01:22 PM

Guess I dont get it.Spent alot of brain cells in college.

SHOKz
Old 06-08-2001, 01:03 AM

Would like to show the group, a picture of my Damascus (Caspian) slide on a Springfield National Match (Trophy Match).
[img][c:my documents/my pictures.lside1.jpg]
Old 06-08-2001, 01:12 AM

[img]c:\windows\desktop\Lside1.jpg[\img]
my Damascus(Caspian) 1911 45acp.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:40 AM

Has anyone taken delivery of one the new Ti frames yet???just wanting to know first impressions. thanks

[This message has been edited by eerw (edited 06-08-2001).]