Smith & Wesson SW1911 Pro Series 3" Subcompact Review & Pics - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-26-2015, 10:18 PM

I have one that I can trust with my life! External extractors I prefer. Which model Heinie sights do you use?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:30 PM
Banned

I bought one of these pistols last week. At first, things looked rather uncertain with the slide failing to return to battery on the last round. Checked the recoil spring and it was in the wrong way, switched it around and now it runs fine. With ball ammunition.

This week will be the test with HP and whatever other dregs of boxes I can find to throw into it, but I am as pleased with the little 1911 as I am reassured about modern Smith & Wesson products. Now to get some new magazines to replace those ones with the dreadful bumper pad and some nicer grips, and I'll be set.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Banned

I wanted to also report about the service life of that flat wire recoil spring. I made a call to Smith & Wesson, and the technician there said the springs had a suggested life of 7500 rounds.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:40 AM

I spoke with customer service and was told there is no recommended service interval for the recoil spring replacement. Maybe start thinking about it at 10,000 rounds.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:52 AM

Great thread, I have been looking at the 3" pro for any everyday carry (currently Wilson professional), had a kimber ultra (not impressed).

I really like the weight of the pro but the 3" 1911s don't have the best track record.

I have been following the S&W Pro 3" and Sigs Ultra, still trying to decide.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:39 PM

I love shooting this pistol. Never had problem with it

Old 09-15-2015, 01:44 PM

just joined and still all but one photo says ''photo not found'' ?

BlackSky's photo of ''Heinie straight 8's are awesome.''and spikeo's phot are the only two photos found ? I was at Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown , Kentucky and salesman recommended this 3'' 1911 over all others so wanted to see what others had to say about it.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:37 PM

I'm continually impressed on how well it shoots every time I take it to the range.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:48 PM

Really like my Smith Pro Series sub compact. Reliable and accurate, when I do my part. Shot mine in an IDPA backup gun match and it pleasantly surprised me with its handling under pressure. Don't hesitate, get one, you'll love it.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:46 PM

Looks even better with a mag well on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieH View Post
I'm continually impressed on how well it shoots every time I take it to the range.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 PM

New subcompact Pro Series .45

This thread really caught my attention when I decided last month to sell my Colt Commander for something slightly smaller, more concealable while still staying with a .45. The first session with the new pistol resulted in 4 failures to completely return the slide to battery. After cleaning the pistol, which I didn't do the first time out, reversing the spring and oiling a bit it shot great! No failures of any kind with 30 rounds being fired. A variety of ammo, reload, JHP, FMJ, 180 to 230 grain. I will be using Hornady 200 grain XTP in it. Very pleased with how it feels when firing, had to get several new holsters to go with it. (I cringe when I look in the holster drawer). It carries well, shoots nice with no kick issues due to the light frame. Sights are great, except maybe at night. As much as I liked my Commander it was always just a bit heavy and large to carry on a regular basis. This 3 incher will easily carry on a daily basis with me. I keep a snubby for when I really need something that will just drop into a pocket. The rest of the time,with a variety of holsters, I am set with this .45. Gee, can you tell I am happy with my new pistol?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:19 PM

I have had a S&W SW1911 Pro Series 3" for about six years and I have not seen or heard of anyone else having one like it. It has no aluminum anywhere, looks likes all steel expect for the stainless steel barrel.
I purchased it at a military PX and have used it as my main carry since I purchased it.
It is 45 ACP and with the weight I can put five rounds in a 1" circle at 15 feet as fast as I can pull the trigger.
Does anyone else have one like this or know of someone that does? I just saw that AWMP has one like mine.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 PM

I know this is an old thread but yesterday I happened to stop at my local gun shop and I saw a beautiful new to me Lew Horton Compact Pro 3 inch. So today I take it out to the farm where my brother and I built a shooting range and I put all 8 rounds of 230 grain round ball right in the middle of the bullseye at 10 yards. Now I am no marksman but I admit to feeling a little cocky so I told my wife I bet I can hit our 12 inch metal gong set at 100 yards. And can you believe the first round hit it. I fired 8 rounds at it and hit it one more time. So in conclusion I believe if I do my part this little gem will do its part as well. I am still in awe that this little 3 inch 1911 shoots so well.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:36 AM

Just picked up a 3Ē Pro Series from a pawn shop for a very good price, canít wait to go range test it. Going to at least clean and lube it for now until I can get to the range.

I carry a Desert Eagle 1911 commander but it is a bit on the heavy side; I was considering an XDS 3.3Ē .45 but didnít really want a hinged trigger (I prefer 1911 triggers now). Then I ran into this, so hopefully Iíll be able to conceal it as easily as an XDS compact.

Pics to come...

Raz
Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdriver View Post
This thread really caught my attention when I decided last month to sell my Colt Commander for something slightly smaller, more concealable while still staying with a .45. The first session with the new pistol resulted in 4 failures to completely return the slide to battery. After cleaning the pistol, which I didn't do the first time out, reversing the spring and oiling a bit it shot great! No failures of any kind with 30 rounds being fired. A variety of ammo, reload, JHP, FMJ, 180 to 230 grain. I will be using Hornady 200 grain XTP in it. Very pleased with how it feels when firing, had to get several new holsters to go with it. (I cringe when I look in the holster drawer). It carries well, shoots nice with no kick issues due to the light frame. Sights are great, except maybe at night. As much as I liked my Commander it was always just a bit heavy and large to carry on a regular basis. This 3 incher will easily carry on a daily basis with me. I keep a snubby for when I really need something that will just drop into a pocket. The rest of the time,with a variety of holsters, I am set with this .45. Gee, can you tell I am happy with my new pistol?
Nice choice, but you're gonna regret selling that gun one day. Don't sell em, just buy another one.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:58 PM

Giving this thread its annual trip back from the dead.

What brand/source for recoil springs are you all using? I called S&W today and they're out of stock.

Mine has been failure-free with every load I've tried. (I haven't tried any flying ashtray loads, but just about everything else.). It's also amazingly accurate. I'd love to see what it would do in a Ransom Rest with the human element taken out of the equation.