The Grand Negligent Discharge Thread - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you had an AD or ND? At what age?
No 133 53.85%
3-10 1 0.40%
11-20 28 11.34%
21-30 30 12.15%
31-40 23 9.31%
41-50 14 5.67%
51-60 16 6.48%
61-70 10 4.05%
71-80 2 0.81%
81 or older 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:42 PM

I set off a .357 in a friends kitchen once, had my head squarely up my arse. I was 19 years old. That was my first and last.

Okay there sorta was one other. In an IPSC competition about 25 years ago I had a FTE. Did a tap-rack-bang, but stupid me I had my trigger finger still inside the trigger guard. When the slide went home, it went off...but I scored an A zone hit, followed up by another quick A zone hit, and I played through; no one even noticed. But guilt got the best of me and I turned myself in to the RO. That was the only time I was ever DQ'd from a match. So it was a rule 1 violation, but I was still squared away on the other 3 rules.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:30 PM

I had an inadvertent discharge with the firearm pointed towards the targets in a condition hot indoor range last year. I was handling a known loaded firearm, but was not intending to fire a round at that moment.

I instantly reconsidered firearms into the "heavy machinery" category in accordance with the nature of "Do not operate heavy machinery" warning on medication labels.
I also instantly reconsidered myself to be a mere mortal instead of a firearm demigod.

I unloaded and safed the weapon and left for the day. Cheap, easy lesson learned.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:44 PM

I started hunting with my father, who taught me safe gun handling, when I was 6 years old. I completed a stint in the military, and have just recently retired after 33 years of firearms qualifications, pistol, shotgun, and carbine training courses and generally handling firearms daily as a police officer. In all that I've never experienced a NG with a firearm. You do as you're trained, and I was trained that my fingers never enter a trigger guard until I'm on target. I can't say I've never come close to disaster though. I think the closest call I ever had was after several officers and I got into a pursuit of some dope dealing suspects, we finally got them stopped after a 20 mile high speed chase up I-65. I approached the drivers side of the suspects vehicle with my 1911 drawn, then opened the door of the car and yanked the driver out and put him on the ground. All the while my cocked and locked 1911 was in my right hand. I didn't notice that I still had the gun in my hand until I had the guy on the ground and I saw it in my hand. I'm left handed but shoot right handed, so my strong side is my left side. Adrenalin is a wonderful drug. Second would likely be when I was sighting in a scope on a 629 S&W when my target blew over while I was aiming in on it, hammer cocked. I lowered the revolver and walked 50 yards to the target to find the gun still cocked when I went to lay it down to reset the target. A brush of my leg against that trigger would have set it off.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Those of you that have served maybe familiar with the S.A.W. The Squad Automatic Weapon. It fires from an open bolt. Too many times did I see a young Marine send the bolt home not thinking and have an ND. I learned real quick to know where that thing was at all times.
1984 - 1992
Old 12-24-2014, 03:13 PM

Wow!

95 responses and still at 50%!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:17 PM

the poll results is disturbing. imagine them as your neighbors.....
Old 12-24-2014, 03:18 PM

I've been fortunate to have never had an AD or ND. Once owned a Rem 700 that scared the crap out of me to unload with the safety off.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
It's more dangerous to take a bath or clean your gutters - to say nothing of going for a drive at 11:30 Saturday night!

Although we seem to have enough data now to conclude that we cannot say that every gun owner will experience one eventually, it does appear to be a 50/50 proposition.

In more ways than one.

50% of us have had one, and 50% of the rules have to be broken to have one.

So keep those muzzles pointed in safe directions, and be sure of your target and what's beyond, and, when your turn comes, you will only have a negligent discharge, and not a sentence for manslaughter...

Maybe this thread can serve as a public service announcement, leading to heightened caution and reduced percentages in the future?
Old 12-24-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB_fan_#45 View Post

50% of the rules have to be broken to have one.
I am no good in no math, but my count is that one rule has to be broken to have one. All other rules are about minimizing consequences, unless my rules are different from yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
Without exception, every single one that I personally know of occurred at shooting ranges. All of mine happened there, all with muzzle downrange and only one was when I didn't intend to shoot; four of five others were shots going off early, with different degree of early. That does not absolve them, but they do have a different implications than others. Results of this poll maybe misleading in regards to the gravity of this situation.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Been there and done that.

Not proud of it. Nobody hurt, thank God. Took out a sliding glass door. 300$ bucks. I saw the light!
Old 12-24-2014, 05:50 PM

Not yet...I've always been anal,more so with age...
I expect my luck to continue...
Though I have had a double...take that as you will...

Kirt...
Old 12-24-2014, 07:57 PM

I was 25 or 26 and new to revolvers, shooting a .38 Special S&W Model 67. I fired a shot cocking with the trigger and without thinking thumbed the hammer back for the next shot. When I touched the trigger, I got an immediate bang instead of the long double action pull I expected. The shot went into the dirt in front of the target. I decided I probably wasn't smart enough to carry a gun that could be fired 2 ways so I switched to a 1911.
"A superior man, when resting in safety, forgets not that peril is ever present. When in a state of security, he forgets not that ruin is only a breath away. When all is orderly, he forgets not that chaos ever hovers over him. Thus, his state and clans are preserved." ************************************************** ******************** Confucius
Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 PM

I was in my mid thirties when I killed a recliner and weather radio.

It was a S&W 4513. It had a mag disconnect and hammer/safety drop lever. I point the gun at the recliner which is toward the center of the house. Remove the mag and put the gun on safe to lower the hammer.

BANG, SMOKE, RINGing, EARS. Neat hole in the weather radio on the recliner found the bullet on the floor behind the chair.

I took the gun to the gunsmtith and he found the disconnect had broken in such a way to not disconnect the firing pin. So when the hammer dropped it fired.

I try to practice rule one and point the gun in a safe dirrection when loading or unloading.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:57 PM

Back in 1991 or so I had a replica 1861 Navy that had gone out of time. 80% of the time it would fire just fine. If it didn't fire I would spin the cylinder and most times it would lock up just fine. However there was one exception, one cylinder just would not fire.

So I unloaded that cylinder but did not take the cap off while at the range. I was sitting with my sister and mother watching TV and of course playing with that Navy. My sister told me I was making her nervous and I rather frankly told her there was "no way" that gun could go off.

Well as luck would have it the cylinder lined up just right and I dropped the hammer on the cap. Thank God it was just a glorified cap gun, but needless to say I was in the doghouse for a while.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:29 PM

Back when I was 14, hunting rabbits with a .22. Had the rifle pointed in the air. I was alone. I stumbled on something and apparently with my finger on the trigger, it went off. Farm country, nothing happened. Scared me completely, haven't had one in the 50 years thereafter.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB_fan_#45 View Post
It's more dangerous to take a bath or clean your gutters - to say nothing of going for a drive at 11:30 Saturday night!

Although we seem to have enough data now to conclude that we cannot say that every gun owner will experience one eventually, it does appear to be a 50/50 proposition.

In more ways than one.

50% of us have had one, and 50% of the rules have to be broken to have one.

So keep those muzzles pointed in safe directions, and be sure of your target and what's beyond, and, when your turn comes, you will only have a negligent discharge, and not a sentence for manslaughter...

Maybe this thread can serve as a public service announcement, leading to heightened caution and reduced percentages in the future?
that logic is flawed. I don't care if you climb 50 feet to clean your gutter. there is no projectile penetrating my home. its not your safety I am worried about.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:39 PM

Never had one but almost got gut shot by someone who did. Guy at the range picked a gun up off of the back bench thinking it was unloaded. I turned around at the front bench and watched as he swept the gun across my mid section. I did not have time to open my mouth in protest it happened so fast. Gun went off just at it cleared my stomach. Needless to say we had a serious discussion about safety and range procedures at that point. Be safe, Shoot well.

Last edited by mitrod3; 12-25-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:33 AM

Walther with a weak firing pin safety went auto for three rounds on a slamfire at the range. Was pointed down at the target, but if you think that first one you don't expect is loud, three in rapid fire succession will have you drop the mag check the pipe and leave. Even just 32 s still wakes you up.

But it saved me, I read up on how guns fail. Last weekend I had a hang fire with my 45. But I stood there and waited perfectly set up and when it fired a few seconds later I was ready. I knew to wait it out from researching the first miscue. Saved me a 45 hole I would not have expected.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Banned

Haha! When I first glanced over this title, I thought it said "Nugent" discharge. I immediately thought he said something way out there again!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:12 AM

My wife had just got herself, after an 8.5 month wait, a yak leather briefcase. It hadn't even been unboxxed before a desert eagle 44 blasted a hole into its side. How it happened, no one knows.

I do know, that as a result, my wife confiscated my new Kimber Ultra Raptor with NS as her own, but in true evilness, she had the frame cerakoted pink and the slide purple so that I could never re-appropriate it down the road.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:58 PM

One.

Sighting in a rifle out by Fernan Lake, Idaho (at the impromptu range next to the rod and gun club I was too cheap to join), had just made an adjustment, some sort of bug buzzed in close to the scope, and as I jumped up, I jerked the trigger.

Would have been a no harm, no foul thing, except I managed to hit a 6 week old fawn, which I didn't realize until I went to retrieve my targets. Drove down to the ranger station, they called the appropriate people who came out and collected the carcass.

It was still warm, and I was the only one who had been there for past few hours--weekday morning. 160 grain Nosler went in through the neck and took the opposing shoulder. Little guy was dead when it hit the ground and tumbled--knee high grass showed the path.

Still feel like a schmuck, and it's been 17 years.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:00 AM

I'm very impressed with the very humble people who admitted their misadventures in this thread.
I don't know how much I trust the poll results, knowing the nature of people when it comes to admitting a mistake. I'm surprised the numbers are this high. WOW
Old 12-26-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBo View Post
I don't know how much I trust the poll results, knowing the nature of people when it comes to admitting a mistake.
Think this one's anonymous...no one sees your name, I tend to trust those more

i would venture a guess, one or more who said no, aren't counting shots that broke a little early on the way to target or multiple targets

many may not shoot all that much or for very long either.
Shoot a lot rnds for years and years and the odds go up greatly

not unlike the person that drives lots miles everyday is more likely to have an accident in their lifetime than the person that only drives a few miles a couple/three days a week

..L.T.A.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsbud View Post
Fodder for the enemy. I won't participate. No offense .............
+1
Not sure that this is that good of an idea, mostly because I can't see the intent of the info. Don't mean to step on toes, JMO, carry on.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:40 PM

About 30 years ago, a MkIV GC innards were more worn than I thought and one trigger pull emptied the magazine (shooting cans...one can really got shot up!). Took it home, ordered and received new Colt parts...