380 pocket pistol? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 AM

I'll stick with my 30 year old Walther PPK! Love that thing!

Smitty
Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 AM

Kel-Tec

While I've heard others have similar experiences to dsk, I have had good experience with the Kel-Tec P3AT .380 pistol. I keep it loaded with Glasers currently and it has been reliable with Glaser, Gold Dot and standard FMJ .380 rounds.

As mentioned by others using small pistols it is important to keep it clean. To some this means cleaning after shooting but remember you are wearing this thing mainly in your pocket (if you are like me) and lint build-up can be quite a deal. I like to clean it and check it monthly whether it is fired or not.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:21 AM

Don't have one but I like the Sig 238. They did have a feed problem I've heard but that was supposed to have been fixed as it was a mag problem-I heard.
A friend's wife has a Bersa, likes it well.
With the advent of "critical" self defense loads in .380, that makes them a little better.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 AM

I have no 380 pocket pistol YET. But I do pocket carry my five shot Taurus 851 38 special +p. The hammer is shrouded for snag free drawing and only weighs 16 oz unloaded.

But this Christmas I am goin to gift myself a Taurus TCP380 or otherwise known as the 738. Its a tiny gun thats slim as heck...and for 200 dollars I can't beat it. Also the trigger is actually pretty good. No grit. Smooth and predictable.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 AM

I recently sold a Kel Tec P3AT, and got a P238 Sportsman12 ( custom run for Sports South) that is basically and all black Equinox with a Hogue style grip. I shot it last week for the first time and was able to hit a 9"x12" steel plate at approx. 45 feet fairly consistently. NO failures, which is a nice change from the Kel Tec.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markdett View Post
I recently sold a Kel Tec P3AT, and got a P238 Sportsman12 ( custom run for Sports South) that is basically and all black Equinox with a Hogue style grip. I shot it last week for the first time and was able to hit a 9"x12" steel plate at approx. 45 feet fairly consistently. NO failures, which is a nice change from the Kel Tec.
Sweet, pictures would be nice. Looked it up, nice looking piece.
I've run over 500 rounds through mine with no failures. No issue with reloads, seems to take anything. Accurate and easy on the hands. And very controllable recoil.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJC View Post
Sweet, pictures would be nice. Looked it up, nice looking piece.
I've run over 500 rounds through mine with no failures. No issue with reloads, seems to take anything. Accurate and easy on the hands. And very controllable recoil.
Sorry, not so great with a camera anymore. I have some problems with tremors. I can only target shoot when medications are just at max function.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM

What holster is this and where did you get it?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps6bd1014c.jpg
Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Started carrying 8-9 years ago with a Bersa Thunder as it had the features I liked, quick acquire 3 dot sights, decocker and DA functionality. Carried in a Don Hume 721OT and it has never had a failure of any kind. Pretty accurate and recoil isn't as sharp as some of the lighter .380's. Decided on a larger caliber so put the Bersa up and carried a Sig P239 9mm for a spell. Now I have a beautiful Colt GM .380 (1983-84 build) that I put Nutmeg Ivories on and have been searching for an OT holster that'll keep it high and tight but alas, nobody makes em unless I go custom. It's one accurate little .380

Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM

My wife and daughter both have a tcp and bersa 380 CC that they carry and they run very well on a wide variety of ammo fmj or hp. Both carry corbon dpx loads.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 AM

S&W Bodyguard. I carry it in my pocket everyday. I never use the laser during practice, because at defensive ranges the sights are fine. Trigger took some getting use to and it's a little snappy with some ammo. I carry Hornady XTPs in it.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM

I have both p380 and p238. The Kahr goes with me 95% of the time.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgad View Post
What holster is this and where did you get it?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps6bd1014c.jpg
This is a Sneaky Pete Holster. They are made for assorted guns and they have other gear as well.
I love it. I can walk into a restaurant or where ever and it doesn't draw a 2nd glance. The flap is pretty easy to get by, just bring your thumb up under the flap and it's open. If shirt is worn out, still easy to open same way and flap helps get the shirt out of the way.

Nice soft glove like leather and soft lined interior

SneakyPeteholsters.com
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 PM

I pocket carry a S&W BG380.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 PM

Sig P238 here also,not fussy with ammo,fits a large palm fairly well with extended mag,great factory night sights, very easy to control and conceals well.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM

Should mention I do not own a 380. I have a Kahr P9 and an AMT 45 Backup that I use which are under my Colt Defender.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 PM

TCP 738 with crimson trace, wallet holster in my back pocket always. I find it easy to shoot out to 7 yds. I sure wouldn't want to do any extended range shoots with it though. Not a particular fan of the 380 cartridge but it seems like a adequate BUG for me. Had a few FTF in the first 50 rounds but several hundred since and goes bang every time.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:26 PM

Why a 9mm short which is a .380 when you can have a real 9mm caliber? Many options out there in the 9mm, .45 calibers.. Too many options to fit all hands, likes, budgets...
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgofirefighter View Post
Why a 9mm short which is a .380 when you can have a real 9mm caliber? Many options out there in the 9mm, .45 calibers.. Too many options to fit all hands, likes, budgets...
Can't speak for everyone, but I picked up my BG .380 before the current crop of "tiny nines" became available, and for my purposes I can't convince myself that it's necessary to change from what has worked for me. If I were in the market for a new BUG I'd probably give one serious thought, though.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 PM

chgofirefighter Cause some times micro 10oz pistol is just right?? Hey what does a chgo guy now about defense handguns anyhow?? !! Just joking. It can be one of several defensive pistols used for different reasons. My main working hour pocket pistol as al little bigger but still a pocket pistol cm9 but still want a tcp for when only smaller is possible like gym shorts or as a back up in a around the neck holster. U guys will get a chance to figure it out soon.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Lcp, just a pocket short range gun, but one that will work and you can depend on it, and you don't know you have it in your pocket. I will not carry a heavy pistol, but have this one with me every day, everywhere. I have several friends that have these, haven't heard of on misfire, etc.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM

My LCP has been completely reliable, and it's the only tiny gun I have tried that I can shoot decently.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Picked up a Taurus TCP three or four years ago. I carry it in a Galco pocket holster. The day I brought it home I put three hundred rounds through without cleaning and I didn't malfunction once. Once last winter and twice this summer as I pulled into the drive I spied the muskrats, one in the yard behind the old milk house and two I'm the pond. Didn't want to take time to run in the house for the .22 rifle so I used the TCP. Took all three. The one in the yard was thirty paces away. After a first shot miss and getting the elevation "kentucky windage" took all three on the second shot. Say what you will about the TCP but mine works, and works well, so far every time.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 PM

We own two Sig P238's, which have never malfunctioned.

After buying the first one for the wife; I found out that Colt Mustang mags work in them just fine, and are much cheaper than Sig mags.

Here they are (mine's the plain one):

I throw mine in a handlebar bag on my bicycle; but other than that, mine never gets carried anymore.

For the times when I can't carry a 1911; I carry either a Kahr CM9, or a J frame.

Rick
Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Went to my LGS. They had most of the 380 handguns mentioned in this post. Of the guns I held, the Sig 238 had the nicest trigger and appeared to be the best quality; it was also the heaviest and thickest. Furthermore, most of my experience involves pistols, which have no external safety. So...

I purchased a Ruger LCP. It seems to have a lot going for it. The trigger felt pretty good for DAO--better than I was expecting. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have much time the next few days. --Hope to shoot it soon.
George MacDonald