1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Grip safety INOP

Picked this up at the Crossroads of the West gun show yesterday:

When I checked it out at the show I noticed the grip safety didn't work. Got a hundred bucks off. How do I fix it? Do I need to replace the grip safety? It's obviously been accurized, and must have had a trigger job because it's amazing. I'm just not sure whats causing the problem. If I pull the trigger without depressing the grip safety the trigger moves about 1/8" and the hammer falls, still holding the trigger, if I depress the grip safety the trigger will move through it's entire range. Do you think that "tang" on the grip safety is too short? Will a new Colt replacement come on the long side, and require fitting?

How about these sights? Any idea who makes them? The front has a thin horizontal yellow line under the yellow dot. I like them, wouldn't mind getting a couple more.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 AM

yep I'd replace the grip safety personally I'd use the wilson (semi)drop in commander/enhanced beavertail
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/258...series-80-blue
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Don't know for sure about the grip safety. I will say that based on the trademark on the bushing and plug, and the photo of the rear sight that gun was worked over by King's Gun Works.

Good news is King's did outstanding work and was a top notch shop back in the day. Bad news is King's is no longer in business so there goes getting more of those sights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 AM

There are two things that I would look at first, one, being the grip safety, remove it from the pistol and look at the tip of the arm and see if any has been removed. Two, I would look at the pre-travel on the trigger, sear engagement and proper function of the disco. If you dont know how to do this, then take the 100 bucks you saved on the purchase and invest in a good 1911 gunsmith.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Sights are King-Tappan and as said, King's is out of business.

The grip safety isn't right. I'd be off to the gunsmith with it.
Finding a period grip safety might be tough, later model Combat Commanders have a grip safety as long as a G.M. but notched out to clear the burr hammer.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Based purely on what you have said...

I would also suspect a problem with the sear/hammer. It is possible that the engagement is "delicate" and more than just a problem with the grip safety allowing too much movement.

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 AM

The prior owner may have disabled the grip safety by mutilation. Some owners just feel they have to do this, but fortunately many just tape it down or put a rubber band on it. Definately have it checked out by somebody who makes/customizes 1911s for a living. You have given a clue as to what's happening, but I don't know enough about it to say what is going on. That is, the hammer will drop without pressing the grip safety but the trigger is still blocked from full travel until the safety is pressed. I'm pretty sure any of our resident pistolsmiths would know right off the bat how that could happen. The first thing I would do is detail strip the pistol and see if anything looks wrong. Clean and oil, put it back together and carefully position the sear spring. If it still does the same thing, then I would need some help.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Very nice pick-up! Kings was a top notch shop for custom 45's back in the day.

John
Old 12-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
The prior owner may have disabled the grip safety by mutilation.
My first impression also.Pulling a high grip on that GS could cause problems."about an 1/8 inch" is in the ballpark of normal.An 1/8" is .125,above minimum pretravel at say .080 + a release of say .020 = .100" with room to spare.

Definately address the issue though,it's not right.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:34 PM

Remove the stocks and see if the GS arm is indeed blocking the trigger stirrup. If it's slipping from lack of contact you may be able to punch it to increase contact or have a smith build it up. It will save time and expense on fitting a new GS.

Any new acquisition ought to have a complete detail strip and thorough cleaning followed by a single round magazine, two rounds, etc. Until you know it's safe, treat it as if it is not. If you aren't sure what you're doing, take it to a professional.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 AM

Nice find! I like the King's stuff. I have a Colt/Essex with all King stuff on it. I would field strip it and check the sear spring. It happens sometimes where the sear spring is installed wrong (either under the sear or the GS).
Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 AM

I would rather spend that money destroying perfectly good grip safety's attempting to learn how to do this myself. It isn't rocket science, with the grips off you can clearly see the relationship between the trigger/grip safety. File a little at at time checking fit periodically.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
My first impression also.Pulling a high grip on that GS could cause problems."about an 1/8 inch" is in the ballpark of normal.An 1/8" is .125,above minimum pretravel at say .080 + a release of say .020 = .100" with room to spare.

Definately address the issue though,it's not right.
It appears that the angle on the GS arm is a little extreme. Might be time for a new one. Where can one find a stock Colt replacement? I don't want an upswept style beavertail for CC.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Numrich carries most everything for colt 1911's. http://www.gunpartscorp.com

Brownells, MidwayUSA, and many others probably do too!

Good luck,

Ray
Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 AM

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=1...ts/Frame-Parts

Brownells sells stock factory Colt parts.

Also if you want a beavertail but a small version Wilson Combat makes a CC beavertail.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Beaverta...oductinfo/563/
Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Those places will work fine.Yours had the rear of it nipped off so a new one will be quite a bit longer with the top relieved for the hammer.Your frame tangs are cut for a beavertail now but you said you don't want one.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Those tangs don't look cut, the GS looks to be relieved for the hammer. If a new GS is fit, it will require either a replacement hammer or the same relief cut which will entail refinishing the part.

Better to swage the one you've got or have someone weld up a little extra to work with. No wrong way as long as it functions.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM

What year is that made?The tangs on mine made somewhere in the 80s look longer and shaped a little different.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:34 PM

The older Commanders and Combat Commanders differ in tang shape and length from a Government Model. This one does not look cut.

It has the old style short Commander grip safety different from what they have used recently.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM

I thought Colt made them at some point because I was given one when they put in a drop in Wilson.It's original blueing but has an A1 arm.I bet he said Colt and it's an older off brand,I've had this for over 10 years.

NINE,if you want it just pay shipping,I have no use for it.The only marks are the normal rub marks on the side from the frame and spring leaf,there's no hammer hit mark and nothing where the trigger would,I wonder how long it was even in there.Not knowing the brand the arm may need a little length but it's almost twice as long as yours so there's much less chance of the hammer pinching you,and it's basically free.Hell,if it's only few bucks for a padded envelope you owe me nothing.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
The older Commanders and Combat Commanders differ in tang shape and length from a Government Model. This one does not look cut.

It has the old style short Commander grip safety different from what they have used recently.
Thanks Jim,I knew the tangs were different between the 2,but mine look different than those.I hate looking at these pics without having one in my hand to get the...proportions I suppose, in perspective since I don't look at them every day.I grab it in the morning and put it up at night,every so often I clean the fuzz out if I don't shoot it.

Last edited by rex; 12-07-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Help me find this

I'm looking for the grip safety pictured in the last post of this thread: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=281315 (numerich part#1119100B pictured here: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...0B&catid=12261 )
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM

The frame tangs and grip safety are indeed stock Colt. All of my pre S80 Commanders are or were exactly like that from the factory.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Mine is the longer one in the thread,not the short.Offer still stands if you want it to try.It should be servicable but if it doesn't it's still a freebee to throw in your parts box.I'm not worried about a few bucks if you can use it.