Got a vintage Crawford Hard Ball Colt 1911 - Can anybody tell me about Dick Crawford? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Got a vintage Crawford Hard Ball Colt 1911 - Can anybody tell me about Dick Crawford?

Just picked up this Crawford Hard Ball Colt 1911. It's a very nice gun, well put together, very accurate. It is also very much like an older Clark Hard Ball gun - similar front strap stippling, sights, engraving on the slide, last three numbers of the serial number and the month/year it was worked on stamped into the underside of the slide (3/76). The thing is, I can find almost no info on the builder, Dick Crawford, and can only find mention of one other gun bult by him. I'm hoping someone here can provide some background on Mr. Crawford and his guns.
Thanks!

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 AM

I saw a post selling a pistol made by a John Crawford from Bushmaster? Maybe a relative?

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 AM

try www.pistolsmith.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
Thanks but I have, no joy. This guy is a mystery.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 PM

deleted.

Last edited by ronbo5151; 11-11-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM

The only mention I have ever heard of him was the occasional post on this board. And not much then, just that he was a known bullseye gun gunsmith of those days.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 PM

The name rings a bell, but back before IDPA and IPSC most 1911 custom shops built bullseye guns. Names like Giles, Clarke, Day, Dinan, Maple,Shockey and Best are all fading into the background now but were very much sought after 1911 smiths in the day. Crawford was locally known, but not as well as the aforementioned.
American Pistolsmith Guild
Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Don't know if it's the same guy, but there was a Dick Crawford that built a few down our way and shot in some of the local club matches. Not sure where he came from before he got down here (SE Alabama/NW Florida). If it's the same guy, he moved on to IPSC and Bianchi Cup stuff. I'll ask some of the old hands when I have a chance.

A buddy just called and did know that our Dick Crawford was a cop in NY state for a while before he came down this way and that he did build some bullseye guns. He's in bad health now. Old age and lots of old back problems.

Gregg, Jackie Best built a good gun, too. I got to know him years ago and have had the pleasure/privilege to work on a few of the ones he built for a couple of the old school bullseye shooters.

Last edited by BBBBill; 11-11-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-12-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Gregg, Jackie Best built a good gun, too. I got to know him years ago and have had the pleasure/privilege to work on a few of the ones he built for a couple of the old school bullseye shooters.
Right you are BBBBill, I met him once long ago at Benning I think. I included him. I'm sure I missed some great smiths.
American Pistolsmith Guild
Old 11-12-2011, 09:20 AM

Another Clue

Posted by Gammon on M1911.org

"Both pistols were custom Colt 1911s built for me, so that they were about as "new" as you can get when I took delivery. The 50,000 round gun was a long slide built by Dick Crawford of Pleasant Valley New York."
From Firing Line
"His smith may be Dick Crawford of Crawford Guns, as pictured on page 22."

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Last edited by OnTarget1911; 11-12-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTarget1911 View Post
Posted by Gammon on M1911.org

"Both pistols were custom Colt 1911s built for me, so that they were about as "new" as you can get when I took delivery. The 50,000 round gun was a long slide built by Dick Crawford of Pleasant Valley New York."
From Firing Line
"His smith may be Dick Crawford of Crawford Guns, as pictured on page 22."

Jess
Thanks, guys!

Jess, I saw those. IIRC that second quote was talking about Crawford being the guy that worked on Jim Cirillo's guns. If that was the case you'd think he'd be better known.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Follow up

It is indeed the same Dick Crawford. Former WW2 military, former Dutchess County, NY Deputy Sheriff. Pleasant Valley is in Dutchess County north of Poughkeepsie. He was friends with Cirillo and he did operate a gunshop down here for a while as Crawford Custom Guns. As noted, he's in bad health now. Cirillo lived down here for a while, too, before moving back to NY.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info. Got a couple of links to the address/number for Crawford's Gunsmithing in Altha, FL from the Colt forum. Tried calling today but no answer, I'll try again Monday.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 AM

I just saw this thread while doing a bit of surfing on the web and had to post a reply. I know it is quite a while since the original poster wrote but if you are still on here I can give you plenty of info on Crawford. Dick Crawford aka Richard A. Crawford is my great-uncle and is a fantastic and fasinating man. He has stopped building guns but from what i hear from family he made some of the most accurate and smooth 1911's out there. I just wish I could get my hands on one. If you would like to know more please let me know.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNYCop View Post
I just saw this thread while doing a bit of surfing on the web and had to post a reply. I know it is quite a while since the original poster wrote but if you are still on here I can give you plenty of info on Crawford. Dick Crawford aka Richard A. Crawford is my great-uncle and is a fantastic and fasinating man. He has stopped building guns but from what i hear from family he made some of the most accurate and smooth 1911's out there. I just wish I could get my hands on one. If you would like to know more please let me know.
You may want to PM the original poster just to let him know.

But, if you want to share more about your great Uncle and any stories, facts, etc that's always welcomed information.

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Well most everything post on here about Dick Crawford is accurate except about his military service. He actually served in Korea as a US Army Paratrooper. He was in law enforcement for many years following his service in the Army. He was a member of the 1976 US Olympics Pistol team. I have heard that his 1911s are fantastic to shoot and own but unfortunately for me i have never actually had my hands on one, I hope one day to get one to keep in my family and eventually pass on to my son. Any other questions you want to ask feel free. Although I haven't spoken to him in a while I think I will give him a call soon and just let him know people are chrious about him.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:40 PM

Have one myself

Hello, I came across this thread while doing some research of my own. I realize this post has been out there for awhile, but I just purchased a nice-looking 1911 and was curious that it has "Crawford Heavy Slide - Pleasant Valley, NY" engraved on the slide. Bo-Mar heavy rib with tuner installed, and this sucker is TIGHTLY made. It is also as accurate as any pistol I've ever shot, and I only put about 20 rounds through it just to test it out. Anyway, I wanted to post on here and let the world know that Crawford's pistols are still in circulation and still driving tacks.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:27 PM

For all those out there asking/wondering about Dick Crawford guns, it is with a heavy heart that I inform you that he has passed away. Those that have read the feed, he was my uncle and he was a wonderful man. I was lucky enough to hook up with a member of this sight that realized the value if a family heirloom and I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Dick Crawford 1911 prior to his death. I spoke to him about it and could hear the pride in his voice, knowing that at last one of his masterpieces would stay in the family.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:23 PM

Dick Crawford Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc145 View Post
Just picked up this Crawford Hard Ball Colt 1911. It's a very nice gun, well put together, very accurate. It is also very much like an older Clark Hard Ball gun - similar front strap stippling, sights, engraving on the slide, last three numbers of the serial number and the month/year it was worked on stamped into the underside of the slide (3/76). The thing is, I can find almost no info on the builder, Dick Crawford, and can only find mention of one other gun bult by him. I'm hoping someone here can provide some background on Mr. Crawford and his guns.
Thanks!
Try this info:

Crawfords Gunsmithing
Licensee Name: Crawford, Richard A & Crawford, Irene R
24506 Ne Cr 69a
Altha, FL 32421
Phone: 850-762-8164

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-16-2017, 06:17 PM

Richard Crawford passed in June of this year. He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Irene and family. His health had been failing for the past many years. He was a true American hero, many of his years working for the government, before he retired to gunsmithing. I am fortunate for him to consider me his son.

November 6, 1035 - June 20, 2017
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Richard Crawford 1935-2017

Richard passed away on June 20th, 2017. He is survived by his wife Irene and family.