American Guns on Discovery - Page 7 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 01:18 AM

I agree that tab shoulda been picked up by Gunsmoke.

When I heard the phrase " ...didnt make alot of money on this..." I literally said outloud ***!!!! And I then shook my head in disgust when it was followed by "but", as if anything he said after that could negate the beginning of that statement.

I watch this show to see guns I normally wouldnt see and to check out if any 1911s make an appearance, but after this episode the glory that is the 1911 may not be able to draw me in to watch.

I much prefer and like SOG. I know it has some scripting but Will is more like some of the childhood friends dads or grandpas in the neighborhood when growing up. So Im used to sarcasm, smart mouths, and southern quips. Heck I use some of them even today.

The more I get to know SOME PEOPLE....the more I like dogs.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45recoil View Post
I agree that tab shoulda been picked up by Gunsmoke.

When I heard the phrase " ...didnt make alot of money on this..." I literally said outloud ***!!!! And I then shook my head in disgust when it was followed by "but", as if anything he said after that could negate the beginning of that statement.

I watch this show to see guns I normally wouldnt see and to check out if any 1911s make an appearance, but after this episode the glory that is the 1911 may not be able to draw me in to watch.

I much prefer and like SOG. I know it has some scripting but Will is more like some of the childhood friends dads or grandpas in the neighborhood when growing up. So Im used to sarcasm, smart mouths, and southern quips. Heck I use some of them even today.
The funny thing is he went to all that trouble to make a scout rifle out of a Ruger, when Ruger already makes one. And their gunsmiths don't even know how to fit a trigger. He is just making his whole operation look like a bunch of idiots so that he can look like the hero. I hope his crew is getting paid well by the production company.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
The funny thing is he went to all that trouble to make a scout rifle out of a Ruger, when Ruger already makes one. And their gunsmiths don't even know how to fit a trigger. He is just making his whole operation look like a bunch of idiots so that he can look like the hero. I hope his crew is getting paid well by the production company.
When I talked to them, the gunsmiths were paid, supposedly, on comission, an average of about $12.50/hr.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post
When I talked to them, the gunsmiths were paid, supposedly, on comission, an average of about $12.50/hr.
Was this before the show?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 AM

That makes sense

Quote:
So who is more at fault, him for keeping the money or the "gunsmiths" for working for peanuts.

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com
Old 11-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Was this before the show?
I asked last september when I was trying to figure out what gunsmiths made, and that's what I was told. i don't know when they signed on and started filming.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I asked last september when I was trying to figure out what gunsmiths made, and that's what I was told. i don't know when they signed on and started filming.
A good gunsmith makes much more than that, but starting out you will probably have to deal with someone like that.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Couldn't get through the one episode I tried to watch. Expect to see the daughter on the next season of Teen Mom though.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 AM

I think it's highly unfortunate, that when gun oriented shows come to cable television, they wind up being unwatchable "reality TV" crap. If the producers took more the approach of something like Modern Marvels, or How It's Made, and shopped the show to any network but Discovery, they would have a much more loyal following from people who actually like and shoot guns.

I'm sure they make decent ratings from the average TV base, but they're missing a key demographic.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveview View Post
I think it's highly unfortunate, that when gun oriented shows come to cable television, they wind up being unwatchable "reality TV" crap. If the producers took more the approach of something like Modern Marvels, or How It's Made, and shopped the show to any network but Discovery, they would have a much more loyal following from people who actually like and shoot guns.

I'm sure they make decent ratings from the average TV base, but they're missing a key demographic.
Agreed. That bothers me too.

These shows have a good chance of waking up some anti-2nd Amendment people to the realities of firearms ownership, self protection and the fun of the shooting sports.

General George S. Patton

Please Join the NRA -- Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights.!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Too bad

That most of the reality TV gun shows, SOG included, show gun people as low brow money grubbing chauvinists that are only interested in eye candy and blowing crap up. Now don't get me wrong, I like blowing crap up but would not parade my wife and daughter around on national TV with hardly any clothes on. The NRA founders would roll over in their graves. If you want to read something interesting go to the Discovery channel website and read some of the comments posted there. Not too positive.
Then you got the six gunning pastor with Wyatt cackling like a maniac everytime one of the targets explodes?

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 PM

The dad's bio says he is the father of 4. Wonder where the other two are chained up?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 AM

IMO, the TV show that reflects most positively on firearms ownership is "Mythbusters".
Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 PM

Reality ??

Like it or not, many of the people who watch these abominations think that they reflect reality at least to some degree. I love firearms and the shooting sports and have a lot of respect for what I call "gun people". Most of the people I spend my time with in and around the shooting clubs where I have memberships are very disciplined and decent people. I wouldn't hesitate to take my grandkids to one of these places which certainly isn't the case with many other club venues.

These so called "reality" gun shows are an insult to genuine firearms enthusiasts. The juvenile scripts and behaviors make us all look like a bunch of adolescent knuckledraggers. They fuel the negative images that are promoted by the anti-gun side and are probably very effective in that regard. Some of the fears that people have about guns and gun owners have some basis in fact. All these shows do is reinforce and further distort what many of us work hard to refute.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Who watched last Monday? I think their compressor broke. Renee looked kinda flat. Those two never look the same.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra45 View Post
Who watched last Monday? I think their compressor broke. Renee looked kinda flat. Those two never look the same.
I think few of us support that godawful show.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 PM

The owner has an obnoxious attitude. The wife and daughter dress like floozies. And the "gunsmiths" are inept klutzes. It's a wonder that they are still in business.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 AM

While flippin channels I caught another glimpse of an episode,

The "Father" and I use that term very lightly, was yelling at the daughter for wanting to get a tattoo, stating that it will cause the boys to "come after" her. HA! like the clothes you have her wearing doesnt?

If I was her age (and even my age) and was around her I would hit that faster then he could grab one of his "showroom quality" firearms and shoot me.

I think it was the episode of the soldier getting the custom POS rifle. Also stolen from SOG, at least SOG had a Marine...the James Bond car with 2 walthers under it? really? in what world is that legal? I mean come on, I have to move to that state and strap some M2s to my hood.

crapy show!
rant over

-Eric
Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 AM

Not legal in CO

No, putting guns on the car is not legal here.

Jess
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTarget1911 View Post
No, putting guns on the car is not legal here.

Jess
Well, we already knew he was a criminal already...
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra45 View Post
Ya see? That's why this show will inevitably fail.

Lack of attention to detail.

Gun enthusiasts are, by and large, detail-oriented and meticulous about maintaining their equipment.

Who in their right mind would trust a firearm on which their life might depend to a guy that doesn't even keep his wife's breasts properly inflated?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:41 AM

The preview for Mondays show indicates that daughter Paige will detail-strip & re-assemble a Colt 1911.

Don't know about anyone else, but I can't wait to see this.

Bet she does the "gomer-scratch" putting it back together
Old 11-06-2011, 11:11 AM

It is unfortunate there isn't a quick link to tell Discovery Channel our opinions on this particular portrayal of American gun owners?

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-06-2011, 12:33 PM

I watched a few episodes last night. Guy is a Blue Ribbon Douche. Whoring out his daughter and wife to sell over priced guns. Is it me or is he always yelling? It seems as if the money has gone to his head, all flash and cash, no humility, tact, or personality for that matter.

By contrast, Sons of Guns is a much better show and Will is a much better human being. I know much of the "drama" is all scripted bs, but at least Will doesn't act like a complete douche tossing around wads of cash and yelling at everyone.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Regretfully I watch the show when I catch it in my spare time. More or less just to see what they are up to. They are a bunch of jokers though and theres no way I would ever buy from them.

How mad are their customers who watch the show later on and see how fubar their product was while in their shop!