Caspian slide with barrel fit problem - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Caspian slide with barrel fit problem

I bought a new Caspian .45 carbon steel slide this summer and can't seem to get the barrel to fit properly. First I tried a couple of the GI surplus barrels with the chrome lining (779..etc), but they got hung up before swinging up into battery ( just with the bushing installed, not in the frame with link pin). I have a barrel made by "10X" and a generic barrel which seemed to fit well. I even checked it out with the Shuemann barrel timing test, and the clearances were within spec and everything.

However, when I shoot a couple of hundred rounds thu this gun, the front of the lugs at the top of the barrrels get peened on the front surface, near the top. There is no damage to the slide. It seems like the barrel lugs are not engaging deep enough in the slide. Do I have to remove some metal at the top of the barrel channel where the lugs sit?? I have never had a slide/barrel do this before, and it baffles the heck out of me. I stopped shooting both barrels before I do some major damage. The reciever is an old Colt GI.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by greco; 11-02-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm sure the experts will chime in, but sounds like it could be a metallurgical issue..the barrel might be soft or improperly heat treated.

Just a guess.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM

I thought the same thing, except this has happened with both the 10x barrel and the generic barrel. And both seem to have very shallow uppper lug engagement. I will try to find a place that could give them a quick hardness test. Thanks for the response.
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM

greco,

Upper lug engagement is measurable. How much do you have?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks Bob. I have about .34 mm. Looks to convert to .0134 inches. This is on the upper barrel lugs. That doesn't seem like enough.
Also, the peening is worse on the side of the barrel, where the lugs go into the barrel. The hood fits the slot real well, so there are no side to side problems. This is on the ejection port side. I think I will measure this thing up to see if it is straight and square. I hope they didn't send me an out of spec slide...The 30 day return period ended months ago..

Last edited by greco; 11-03-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 AM

How are you measuring it? I'd like to see about .045" of engagement.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 AM

I put some blue on the bbl lugs and worked the action a few times, then measured the area where the blue was removed. The front and middle lug were the most obvious. I also noticed that the rear of the barrel, where the chamber is, has witness marks. It seems the bbl rubs against both sides as it swings into battery. This just above the rails on the slide. I worked the bbl down a little this morning and it seems to work a little more free.

I wonder if this slide is a little thick in this area and needs to be fitted better. ( of course I filed the bbl rather than the slide since it is easily replaced if I messed it up). I checked my (military surplus 779...) barrels, and now I see that is where they all hang up... And it doesn't matter which bushing I use at the front (in case it positions the barrel a little higher or lower).

thanks for the response
Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM

Use modeling clay

Roll a thin strip of clay and lay it in the lug channels in the slide. Then measure the thickness of the clay in the channel.

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com
Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the clay suggestion. I have lots of the plastic type in the basement. I will do with the pistol assembled, and with the slide and barrel only.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Use your caliper's depth probe and measure from the top of the slide to the top of the barrel while in battery. Take the same measurement again with the slide cracked open and out of battery approximately .100". The difference in the two measurements is your lug engagement. Take several readings in both positions. It may take a bit to get consistent numbers.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Measuring the rear of the barrel hood, I get over .07" engagement. This is after I took some material off the sides of the barrel. I think the slide has some extra meat on it, and this barrel was big in that area too. Seems pretty good now. Tomorrow, the range. Thanks again..
Old 11-05-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco View Post
...Measuring the rear of the barrel hood, I get over .07" engagement...
That's the wrong place to measure. It has to be done at the top front edge of the ejection port in order to be reasonably accurate. The barrel tilts up in the slide when in lockup, pivoting around a point in the bushing. The measurement will be different at the front edge of the ejection port and back of the barrel hood.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 PM

Well, that would explain all that engagement... back to the mikes...
Old 11-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Ok... engagement measured at .051. thank you
Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 AM

At the range yesterday. Fired 200 rounds with out any problems. Great accuracy, empties land all together about 5-7 feet away. Blue on upper lugs shows good engagement and no peening. Looks like the problem was at the rear of the barrel/slide area. Thanks everyone for the help.