1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Auto-Ordinance 1911 GI, dented casings

Hey everyone,

So I just got my first 1911 earlier this week, picked up an Auto-Ordinance (owned by Kahr Arms) GI model. I was looking for a good balance between cost and (hopeful) good performance.

The owner of the gun shop could not stop talking about how much he loved the AO's, especially the fact that they are an EXACT replica of the original Colt 1911 design. Said he had a Colt and an AO side by side, switched all the internals of the Colt to the AO, and the AO to the Colt, said both guns fired flawlessly. Also said that CA Highway Patrolmen had been coming in and buying up most of his stock.

So he sold me on the AO!

Anywho... I took it shooting for the first time on Tuesday, put about 100 rounds of Remington 230gr. FMJ through it, to begin to break it in (obviously I know it takes a lot longer than that...) But I noticed that probably 70% of the ejected casings were coming out pretty dented on the end opposite the primer.

Any ideas what might be causing this?? And what I might do to remedy the problem?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1 (1).jpg   photo 2 (1).jpg   photo 3 (1).jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 10:53 PM

Do a search

On lowered and flared ejection ports and why. Dented cases out of a 1911 GI spec is normal.

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com
Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Thanks Jess!

I put another 100 rounds through yesterday. Dents were still there but they were less prominent. Guy working the counter said it's just a breaking-in period that will eventually fade away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

While this 'guy behind the counter you have been talking to is quite the salesman, you can stop listening to him now as he has been feeding you quite the line of BS. The dents will never 'eventually fade away' nor is the current A-O 1911 offering an 'EXACT replica of the original Colt 1911'

Enjoy your pistol.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Well,

I'm sorry to disagree... although I'm not familiar with the dents, but my AO 1911A1 (June 11) has been flawless. And, I carried a 1911A1 in the NJ National Guard, and this is the CLOSEST I have seen out there to the real thing.
I also own a 1911 Remington R1 and I have to say, the AO runs circles around it. Much more accurate. Maybe I'm used to the GI sights.
Anyway, I can't say enough about my AO...

Pix of both
Attached Thumbnails
2-45's.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM

I haven't noticed any dents yet but i been shooting the wolf 45acp ammo with the steel case. Do you use an oil or gun grease to lube it? I prefer moly but a gun grease will do too. It may speed up the slide enough to stop the dented cases. My thoughts anyway.

I picked up my new AO 1911a1 when they were first offered and its been flawless the whole time now with over 250rds+ thru it. Its past the breakin now. I lubed it with moly, installed the FLGR w/18# recoil spring and thats it. Its the very first brand new 1911 to function properly right out of the box new. This proves we can get a decent quality new 1911 for around $500. I wish i purchased two when they were just $389.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 11-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
I wish i purchased two when they were just $389.
That must have been a older West Hurley AO for sale at that price, the new AO's made by Kahr are in the $500+ range and are 1000% better firearm.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
I lubed it with moly, installed the FLGR w/18# recoil spring and thats it.
I just recently put in a full length guide rod as well. I've noticed a smoother and more consistent recoil action.

And while there are still dented cases, I forgot to mention that I have not had a single failure to feed OR failure to eject. So if the worst thing is that the cases are dented but everything functions properly? I'll take it!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:51 AM

Lower the ejection port and that will solve the problem of dented cases. How to do it? Get a small file and file down the bottom of the port evenly across. Do not take to much off. Keep trying the gun and filing, when the cases eject clean with no dints the port has been lowered enough.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfarter View Post
Lower the ejection port and that will solve the problem of dented cases. How to do it? Get a small file and file down the bottom of the port evenly across. Do not take to much off. Keep trying the gun and filing, when the cases eject clean with no dints the port has been lowered enough.
How easy is it to refinish the slide after completing the filing?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 PM

If you lower the port you will be losing one of the great things about the AO... how close it is to the original WWII 1911's.

The dented cases are not a big deal as any competent re-loader can remove the dent before re-loading and if you don't reload it is a non issue. As posted above... it's supposed to dent the cases (maybe not "supposed to" but expected at the least).

Leave it alone and enjoy... it is what it is... if you want a lowered/flared ejection port, beaver tail and want-not buy a Springfield or RIA... leave the AO alone

I love my AO and bought it for the simple reason that it was the 1911 that closest resembled my dads old WWII Ithaca 1911.

Oh and the dents might get smaller as the gun wears in and the recoil spring weakens a bit (this is what I noticed on my AO, the recoil spring may or may not be the issue but that is my guess).

Last edited by fredg; 11-15-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
That must have been a older West Hurley AO for sale at that price, the new AO's made by Kahr are in the $500+ range and are 1000% better firearm.
No this was when the very first new Kahr / AO ww2 copy 1911a1's were offered, my dealer had stacks of them to the ceiling and offered them for just $389. I have the kahr / ao 1911a1. This was in 2005 and i also purchased the new Springfield Armory 1911a1 G.I. Mil-Spec as it was first called for only $424 the same week as i purchased the new kahr AO.( in 2005)

Last edited by 1911crazy; 11-15-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon7 View Post
I just recently put in a full length guide rod as well. I've noticed a smoother and more consistent recoil action.

And while there are still dented cases, I forgot to mention that I have not had a single failure to feed OR failure to eject. So if the worst thing is that the cases are dented but everything functions properly? I'll take it!
Mine has been operating flawlessly for over 250rds now. This proves we can get a decent, reliable, dependable 1911 for under $400. (at one time).

Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
No this was when the very first new Kahr / AO ww2 copy 1911a1's were offered, my dealer had stacks of them to the ceiling and offered them for just $389. I have the kahr / ao 1911a1. This was in 2005 and i also purchased the new Springfield Armory 1911a1 G.I. Mil-Spec as it was first called for only $424 the same week as i purchased the new kahr AO.( in 2005)
If I could get one for that price today I'd buy a stack of them.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
My Kahr made AO 1911A1 milspec was $349 on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse three years ago. I have shot the daylights out of it. It has gone through a transformation over the past few years, dove tailed sights, beaver tail, flat MSH, lowered ejection port, EGW barrel bushing, Springfield guide rod, new internals. I reload and go to the range every week. It gets 400 to 800 rounds through it a month. it's been great.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 PM

I have an OA that does the same thing I am no expert! Repeat No expert in fact maybe a fool, but I think it has to do with the adjustment of the extractor. I have played with my extractor and have reduced if not eliminated the flatening of cases but also introduced other issues. I am currently researching this issue in more detail. As far as my current experience goes the 1911 is not for the average joe, seems to need lots of TLC. Unless you pay massive cash and get super tuned models out of the box.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Old thread brought back to life!! jiffyg, I agree you can probably get the extractor adjusted to the point that your cases are almost dent free (but as you have experienced, this may lead to other issues). The only limiting factor would be the ejection port. With the original small GI port it will tough to completely remove the case denting issue 100% of the time.

In all reality the dented casings is a non-issue, as long as the gun functions that is the key. When they used this pistol in combat I can bet they could care less about the disposable casings, it's only and issue today as folks like to reload so the casings are no longer considered a disposable part (at least to some people, I don't reload so I could care less how the casings look or where they go once the pistol pukes them out.

But hey, tuning and tweaking our 1911's is half the fun! Good job getting in there are doing the extractor tuning!

Last edited by fredg; 06-22-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

If you are not reloading I don't see the issue with dented cases. Hell, one of my GI 1911s rips Tula cases.

The Auto Ord 1911s are still a good value in a series 80 GI replica.