1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSkyy87 View Post
Oh wow. Thanks for pointing that out Fin. I was confused at first and then realized that I missed an r.
Sorry brother, I should have PM'd you first. I just couldn't resist!

Fin
Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4finny View Post
Sorry brother, I should have PM'd you first. I just couldn't resist!

Fin
It's all good. I got a real good laugh out of it. I am thinking it must have been my subconscious expressing how I really felt about those shirts.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
It's all good. I got a real good laugh out of it. I am thinking it must have been my subconscious expressing how I really felt about those shirts.
My shirts? my wife would be sad to
hear that

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. - JFK
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Tactical is something you do, not something you buy....
Such as a tactical reload.

There is no such thing as "Tactical Clothing" no matter what a manufacturer wants a Chairborn Ranger to beleive.....

Now, having said that, I often do wear a fishing vest that is laden with pockets simply because they come in handy to load down stuff...specially in summertime when I wear regular gym shorts that have none.
I carry a wallet, keys, pocket knife, five shot snubby and sometimes a cell phone. I don't like carrying other stuff in with my knife and gun. Which is why I like extra pockets.

I am also known to wear cargo shorts in the summer when it's too warm for the vest, because it has more pockets for the stuff we tend to carry these days.

And if it is super hot and I am only travelling to relatives houses I will wear a pair of sweat shorts and a wife beater shirt with a fanny pack.

Vis a vis people who say rediculous stuff like "wearing a fanny pack or a cargo vest will make the bad guys target you first." The reality is that IF the bad guys were smart enough to suppose that "tac" clothing meant somebody was armed, that usually means they would target you DEAD LAST.
Remember, even the dumbest mugger doesn't want to draw ATTENTION to himself, so he wants an unarmed victim who is scared at the sight of a knife or drawn gun- a drawn gun he doesn't want to draw attention to himself by firing.
Its like the saying that experts tell us - "When somebody says "don't make a sound" the best thing you can do is SCREAM YOUR HEAD OFF and draw attention so he will run away. Criminals just want an easy score, not a challenge.''
If you look armed they will look elsewhere for their next victim. Predators like prey that don't have fangs and claws, after all.
Go visit your local courthouse and sit on on preliminary hearings where they talk with real criminals. You will learn fast that a criminal ain't like what you see on tv shows and read about in books.
Most are so zonked out on pain pills they cannot think straight. None of them want a challenge, they just want an easy score and they tend to be horrendous cowards.
The Big Bad Wolf is often the victim, not the predatory criminal. Just ask the guy who robbed a local short order cook a few months ago in my town and got blown away for his troubles. What he didn't know is the cook had been mugged once before and beaten down badly and decided it wasn't happenin' again.
The cook was wearing none of that tac stuff. But if he had been I bet the mugger would have robbed somebody else.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch520 View Post
My shirts? my wife would be sad to
hear that
I was referring to the overpriced "tactical 5.11" super concealment button up shirts that cost over $40 a pop.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...eve-Shirt.html

VS

http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing...Shirt-1574.jsp

Why pay more for the same thing?

Not to mention, the Dickies don't have tactical on the tag.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 AM

The closest things I have to tactical clothing is a pair of cargo pants and some cargo shorts from REI. Otherwise the rest of my wardrobe consists of mostly jeans, khakis (not the tactical kind), button-down shirts, polo shirts, and other styles of men's fashion commonly seen in the area where I live bought from such "tactical" places like Old Navy, J.C. Penney, Nordstroms, etc.

"For those who fight to protect it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."- LCPL Edwin "Tim" Craft, B Co. 3rd ATs, Khe San 1968
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the overpriced "tactical 5.11" super concealment button up shirts that cost over $40 a pop.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...eve-Shirt.html

VS

http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing...Shirt-1574.jsp

Why pay more for the same thing?

Not to mention, the Dickies don't have tactical on the tag.
well buddy if it doesn't say tactical I wouldn't take it to war with me! I don't even get that tactical for classes. Tshirt, woolrich pants, and a infidel warbelt is as tactical as I get

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. - JFK
Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 PM

crye precision.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Train Like You fight

I wear suits or jeans in the cooler months and dress pants and shirts or shorts in the summer. I took some PSD classes and showed up with suits I bought at goodwill. I may look untactical as hell but I can draw pretty quick from under my suit and overcoat. I refuse to buy anything with 5:11 on it. Ill wear olive drab fatigue pants or Khaki and with a polo shirt or sweatshirt with sneakers look like an urban hipster. When I see 5:11 I think Fed or wannabe since most of the undercover cops in the NYC area dress like ghetto rappers or LL Bean models.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM

I might make an exception for these cargo pants:

http://www.ccwbreakaways.com/product.../products.html

I certainly would if I were still working and pretty much forced to wear Docker type pants, although they aren't cheap. Pretty neat idea, and they don't look tacticool, at least to me.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 PM

As for me.

I am so Tactical that nobody even knows when I am around.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I am so Tactical that nobody even knows when I am around.
Who said that? Did somebody say something? ........

Hmmmmm ....

Fin
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cro View Post
There you go.... The newest catch phrase "Practical Tactical"........
Not new at all.....my business was incorporated in 2007, Practical Tactical Products and Training. Company slogan "Because Tactical Isn't Always Practical." There are a couple of gun shops and other suppliers that have the name Practical Tactical.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Practi...32791303413975
Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 AM

My tactical outfit usually consists of my Walmart camo cargo shorts, "Death Before Disco" t-shirt, and $12.00 Payless sandals with tire-tread soles. It lets those who may ponder starting sh*t with me know that I mean business and have a warped sense of humor at the same time. That usually confuses them long enough for me to get what I need and boogie back home to Stella.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 AM

I wear the 5.11 pants almost every day because I'm a wannabe. I wannabe comfetable and the tac-lites feel like you're almost not wearing pants at all!
They do cost considerably more, but the wrangler khakis at walmart don't have nearly the lifespan of my 5.11 pants.

I also like the Vertex, but it's hell trying to iron them.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyV View Post
I wear the 5.11 pants almost every day because I'm a wannabe. I wannabe comfetable and the tac-lites feel like you're almost not wearing pants at all..
I wear 5.11 quite often as I too feel they are comfortable. I haven't been spotted yet and gunned down by all these incredibly situationally aware criminals that are supposedly around. And if I wear 5.11 who am I "wanting to be" exactly other than myself?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:59 PM

The most tactical thing I wear is a pair of Converse "Stealth" zip boots.

They are the shizz for tactical leaf-raking. Definitely SWAT-worthy.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I don't buy into all that tactical stuff that is supposed to conceal better for only 40+ bucks a shirt.

I usually wear these everyday - http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing...Shirt-1574.jsp

They are thicker and don't print, have two button down pockets, and are very comfortable and affordable. Good to work in, and good enough to wear out and about as well. Oh and they also come in tall sizes, which is a huge plus for me. I can actually carry OWB with one as a cover garment. (I'm 6'3")
So a shirt designed to cover plumber's crack works well to cover a .45 OWB? Smart.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:47 AM

I normally wear a pair of pants one size larger than I normally wear when I CC. My shirt is normally a short or long sleeve button down t shirt as an outer shirt that I don't button. If it is cold out I will switch to my wolverine jacket and switch my CC location. I wear boots all year long but during the warmer months I wear a pair of Thorogood black side zips and the colder months I wear my Converse tan insulated side zips. The Thorogood boots are actually an LEO style boot and when I have them on people actually move out of my way.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 AM

I have a 5.11 coat the fire department gave me. Does that mean I'm a target? (It does have all kinds of day glo and reflective tape on it.)
"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere The ceremony of innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats
Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Roe View Post
The most tactical thing I wear is a pair of Converse "Stealth" zip boots.

They are the shizz for tactical leaf-raking. Definitely SWAT-worthy.
Still using the outdated rake?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM

Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
I hung up my "tactical" clothing 3 years ago when I retired and only break them out during hunting season. Now I just wear what fits and is comfortable, carrying or not.
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM

"tactical" yeah

I took a local class 3 years ago for ongoing NRA training. EVERY instructor in the class and at least half the class showed up in tan 5.11 pants, black instructors belt and some sort of "tac" shoes. Totally cracked me up. Then you should have seen them at the range day. You would think that half of them were Navy Seals!
My cold weather boots are 5.11. Not because they are tactical, because they were a gift and very comfortable. I gave the digitasl camo ones to my son. He loved them.
I was coordinating a National Day of Prayer a couple of years ago. Every single person in the crowd with a vest on was carrying. You may not be ID'd as a gun carrying tactical desperado but you will be tagged as either stupid looking, old or eccentric.

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com
Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTarget1911 View Post
I took a local class 3 years ago for ongoing NRA training. EVERY instructor in the class and at least half the class showed up in tan 5.11 pants, black instructors belt and some sort of "tac" shoes. Totally cracked me up. Then you should have seen them at the range day. You would think that half of them were Navy Seals!
My cold weather boots are 5.11. Not because they are tactical, because they were a gift and very comfortable. I gave the digitasl camo ones to my son. He loved them.
I was coordinating a National Day of Prayer a couple of years ago. Every single person in the crowd with a vest on was carrying. You may not be ID'd as a gun carrying tactical desperado but you will be tagged as either stupid looking, old or eccentric.
Jess

Well then I'm batting three for three.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Me too MG. I don't often wear a vest but old, stupid and eccentric sure fits.