And this is helpful to the OP, how?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1340 View Post
Just did it as well Kimber -> Search About 280,000 results (0.14 seconds

Springfield -> Search About 1,930,000 results (0.16 seconds

Ruger -> About 1,420,000 results (0.23 seconds

Seems we all have our problems

* I used the search terms, kimber 1911 issues, Springfield 1911 issues, ruger 1911 issues

Interesting! I also saw a similar post on another forum where the word "problem" was substituted for "issues" and it was done for many more 1911 producers. Oddly enough, with the substitution, the numbes for Kimber, Springfield & Ruger increased by 3 fold. Also, high end manufacturers, Night Hawk, Ed Brown & Les Baer, were up in the 500K range along with Kimber & Wilson was 1 million +. Very surprising. Of course, I'm sure these numbers included imagined problems, owner induced problems & magazine problems, so not really conclusive.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Gee View Post
Interesting! I also saw a similar post on another forum where the word "problem" was substituted for "issues" and it was done for many more 1911 producers. Oddly enough, with the substitution, the numbes for Kimber, Springfield & Ruger increased by 3 fold. Also, high end manufacturers, Night Hawk, Ed Brown & Les Baer, were up in the 500K range along with Kimber & Wilson was 1 million +. Very surprising. Of course, I'm sure these numbers included imagined problems, owner induced problems & magazine problems, so not really conclusive.
All this tells us is how many hits particular search terms generated, not necessarily any data on actual statistics of problems for any brand available.

For example, Wilson sells, what, 50k guns a year, and kimber 2+ million?

What percentage of those guns have failures? What is the return rate?

None of that searching tells us this.

However, looking at various online forums and scanning the types and numbers of issues brought up in posts gives one a good feel of the types and numbers of issues coming up.

At the end of the day, the only thing that's really going to matter is what happens with the firearm you buy. Buy the one that fits you best, looks the best, feels the best, and works the best FOR YOU.

Test the snot out of it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, get it fixed so it does work.

The rest is mental masturbation.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallb View Post
in that price range you should consider kimber. the custom stainless 2 seems to be right up your alley. i think you get better quality with the kimber. you'll get a match grade barrel and bushing, the frame and slide are mated to each other ( gives a nice tight fit) that you dont get with the others. plus its completely made in yonkers ny.... U.S.A. i think its just a much better made pistol than the others you've mentioned. msrp is about 960 i think... the pistols you did mention are all perfectly serviceable and probably wont give you a problem. good luck!!!
+1 i would go with kimber
Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
+1 i would go with kimber
-1 I owned four and no more.........

In that price range I would look at an STI Trojan, lot of gun for 1k.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:05 PM

Many here will not like my answer to this posting.

1. Some here will say buy Brand XXX because that is what they have and it works for them and therefore must be the better gun.

2. Most here have not shot all three and do not own but one of them but they will say it is the best to buy.

3. I own two of the guns in the selection and several of other brands. The S&W is far better than the Ruger or the Springfield. I have over 15,000 rounds through one of my S&W 1911 without a problem and the grouping is much tighter than with a Springer.

4. How would you feel if someone from another country took your job? Most would take offense to it but Springfield relocated their plants to another country in the name of profit and put Americans out of work in favor of hiring foreign workers for less than half what the labor cost in the US is. Even foreign car companies have their cars assembled in the US but Springfield is not that nice. They want profit.

5. Got a defective Springer? Send it back under warranty and it will be gone for months. Been there done that. Got a defective S&W? Send it back and it comes back in 7-10 days. Read the warranties of each. S&W has the better warranty.

6. I have a couple of customs. The S&W shoots as good as either of them.

7. Learning to shoot is easy. Learning to shoot a 1911 properly takes perfect practice. Which ever gun you decide to get, take the time to learn the gun. I was in the US Army in the early 60's and we had to field strip our 1911 sidearms in total darkness by feel and then reassemble them only by feel. We would shoot day and night using sights and point shooting. The more we learned about the gun, the better we shot. The same holds true today. I carry a 1911 all day. My life depends on that gun. Those I deal with do not value life and will kill for a dollar. Often times I am in a project alone without backup and I depend on my 1911 like I cannot any other gun. I trust the gun and know both the potential of the gun and myself.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenringx2 View Post
-1 I owned four and no more.........

In that price range I would look at an STI Trojan, lot of gun for 1k.
Or the ruger, springfield, or Sig.

Colt's are nice, but they're too loosely fitted for my taste.

I've owned 5 kimbers, and all of them have been junk that never worked despite multiple trips and lots of money to the gunsmith.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
Many here will not like my answer to this posting.

1. Some here will say buy Brand XXX because that is what they have and it works for them and therefore must be the better gun.

2. Most here have not shot all three and do not own but one of them but they will say it is the best to buy.

3. I own two of the guns in the selection and several of other brands. The S&W is far better than the Ruger or the Springfield. I have over 15,000 rounds through one of my S&W 1911 without a problem and the grouping is much tighter than with a Springer.

4. How would you feel if someone from another country took your job? Most would take offense to it but Springfield relocated their plants to another country in the name of profit and put Americans out of work in favor of hiring foreign workers for less than half what the labor cost in the US is. Even foreign car companies have their cars assembled in the US but Springfield is not that nice. They want profit.

5. Got a defective Springer? Send it back under warranty and it will be gone for months. Been there done that. Got a defective S&W? Send it back and it comes back in 7-10 days. Read the warranties of each. S&W has the better warranty.

6. I have a couple of customs. The S&W shoots as good as either of them.

7. Learning to shoot is easy. Learning to shoot a 1911 properly takes perfect practice. Which ever gun you decide to get, take the time to learn the gun. I was in the US Army in the early 60's and we had to field strip our 1911 sidearms in total darkness by feel and then reassemble them only by feel. We would shoot day and night using sights and point shooting. The more we learned about the gun, the better we shot. The same holds true today. I carry a 1911 all day. My life depends on that gun. Those I deal with do not value life and will kill for a dollar. Often times I am in a project alone without backup and I depend on my 1911 like I cannot any other gun. I trust the gun and know both the potential of the gun and myself.
Good to know on the Smith. I'll have to add an E-series 1911 to the stable.

I would point out that Springfield never HAD major US production, they started up pretty much with importing brazillian 1911s and had a custom shop/higher-end production facility here in the US, same as they do now. IIRC, they've increased their production of in-the-US 1911s over brazillian imports, but the low-cost guns they import are their bread and butter because they cannot make them as cheaply. Even RIA is cheap because they come from a low-labor-cost country.

Last edited by DeltaKilo; 10-31-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post
I've owned 5 kimbers, and all of them have been junk that never worked despite multiple trips and lots of money to the gunsmith.
Looks like it took you one more Kimber than it took me to figure it out.

I feel your pain on the smith fees trying to get them to work, I will not sell a gun that will not function properly. I was so discussed with them that even though the smith got them working ( as best he could) I sold them anyway!

A friend of mine has the Ruger and has no complaints. Springfield makes a nice gun and thoroughly backs it with their warranty.

Still for the cost STI.

Only Sig's I would buy are the X-5, 220 and 226. Although I and thinking about a 232 for the wifee.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Looks like it took you one more Kimber than it took me to figure it out.

I feel your pain on the smith fees trying to get them to work, I will not sell a gun that will not function properly. I was so discussed with them that even though the smith got them working ( as best he could) I sold them anyway!

A friend of mine has the Ruger and has no complaints. Springfield makes a nice gun and thoroughly backs it with their warranty.

Still for the cost STI.

Only Sig's I would buy are the X-5, 220 and 226. Although I and thinking about a 232 for the wifee.
Their 1911s are nice. Now-days the only 1911s I buy are Ed Brown 1911s.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I owned four and no more.........
I owned three and no more. Third time was the charm (bad luck charm, that is) for me and Kimber!

I've never owned an STI...since they are made in Texas, I need to give them a shot!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 PM

My only observation is the Springfield has adjustable sights. The slide is cut differently for adjustable sights. If you find they don't work for your needs, you are really limited with your aftermarket options. Fixed sights will typically be more durable and will give you more aftermarket options.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Their 1911s are nice. Now-days the only 1911s I buy are Ed Brown 1911s.
I am with you on that one, Ed Brown was one of my last 1911 purchase's and will also be my next.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 PM

You all aren't really helping the OP much. My first suggestion is to go to each manufacturer's site and get the detailed specs directly. Who knows, there may be another model that you like more.

Honestly, you'll learn more using the Search function than you will with open-ended questions that result in "Kimber stinks" "No, Springfield bites" and "I just love my Glock". Check out the manufacturer specific sub-forums here, go to the M1911 forum and search there too.

What is the purchaser's experience level with the 1911 platform? It's a wonderful pistol, but today's production guns may not be for someone who wants to take a gun home and expect it to work perfectly with any ammo, every time, right out of the box. Many new 1911s are trouble-free, but every manufacturer has some percentage of problem products. The really important question is how well does the manufacturer handle the problems?

Also, it helps if you have a modicum of mechanical ability and like to tinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1340 View Post
Just did it as well Kimber -> Search About 280,000 results (0.14 seconds

Springfield -> Search About 1,930,000 results (0.16 seconds

Ruger -> About 1,420,000 results (0.23 seconds

Seems we all have our problems

* I used the search terms, kimber 1911 issues, Springfield 1911 issues, ruger 1911 issues
Garbage in, garbage out.

Quote:
All this tells us is how many hits particular search terms generated, not necessarily any data on actual statistics of problems for any brand available.

For example, Wilson sells, what, 50k guns a year, and kimber 2+ million?

What percentage of those guns have failures? What is the return rate?

None of that searching tells us this.

However, looking at various online forums and scanning the types and numbers of issues brought up in posts gives one a good feel of the types and numbers of issues coming up.

At the end of the day, the only thing that's really going to matter is what happens with the firearm you buy. Buy the one that fits you best, looks the best, feels the best, and works the best FOR YOU.

Test the snot out of it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, get it fixed so it does work.

The rest is mental masturbation.
+1 on the second post. My guess is that the 2 most important variables missing from the "total number of search results" analysis are (1) number of pistols sold, cumulative over however many years/decades, and (2) expectation levels of buyers.

When someone buys a Wilson or has the Springfield Custom Shop build them a 1911, their expectations are very high. My Springfield from the Custom Shop was not perfect. It should have been... but they fixed it and fast.

Here's some hard data to look at: how many of Brand-X 1911s are for sale used at your local gun shops with very little wear? I know which brand I seem see the most and it's not one of the three in the first post.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 AM

Wisdom

"Here's some hard data to look at: how many of Brand-X 1911s are for sale used at your local gun shops with very little wear? I know which brand I seem see the most and it's not one of the three in the first post."
Wisdom.

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallb View Post
in that price range you should consider kimber. the custom stainless 2 seems to be right up your alley. i think you get better quality with the kimber. you'll get a match grade barrel and bushing, the frame and slide are mated to each other ( gives a nice tight fit) that you dont get with the others. plus its completely made in yonkers ny.... U.S.A. i think its just a much better made pistol than the others you've mentioned. msrp is about 960 i think... the pistols you did mention are all perfectly serviceable and probably wont give you a problem. good luck!!!
I agree. Having a dozen of them, I've found them to generally be a good quality, reliable, accurate handgun.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTarget1911 View Post
"Here's some hard data to look at: how many of Brand-X 1911s are for sale used at your local gun shops with very little wear? I know which brand I seem see the most and it's not one of the three in the first post."
Wisdom.

Jess
+1 If we could retrieve the numbers, percentage of units sold compared to actual issues with the weapon,I doubt that there would be very little difference in any of the 1911s produced in the USA.I have had excellent service with Kimbers not so much with Colts,so experiences vary.I have not owned a Springfield because I prefer USA made,plus the fact that almost every post praising Springfield includes "great customer service" which most reasonable intelligent people would conclude that the service was needed by the poster.Buy whatever YOU like there is a very high probability you will never have an issue unless it is self induced.Good luck on your choice and good shooting.COLD.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 AM

Springfield would be my pick out of those, all of mine have been trouble free.

good luck with your choice!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Thank You for all your reply's everyone. I like all three models, but may get one sometime down the road. One thing...I've heard some dislikes about S&W's external extractor on their E-Series. Some have said it's a silly design, but I don't know...I haven't heard of it not working properly.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:59 PM

Iíve personally never owned a Springfield, but Iíd go with that one of the ones listed, likely. I wouldnít listen to the nay sayers about Kimber, though; I own one and it has never as much as hiccupped on me.

Canít go wrong with the SA, though.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Well now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in1911 View Post
Thank You for all your reply's everyone. I like all three models, but may get one sometime down the road. One thing...I've heard some dislikes about S&W's external extractor on their E-Series. Some have said it's a silly design, but I don't know...I haven't heard of it not working properly.
I have "built" dozens of S&W bobtails and fired hundreds of rounds through them and NEVER had the extractor fail me. I think that people are silly for thinking it is silly. Now the 80 series safety, that is silly.

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com
Old 11-02-2011, 04:15 AM

"I have "built" dozens of S&W bobtails and fired hundreds of rounds through them and NEVER had the extractor fail me."

Roger that!!

The dislike for Smith & Wesson and it's external extractor is a bunch of donkey dung. They have forgotten more about building guns with external extractors than most people know to begin with. Their previous autoloaders, including 1911's have proven utterly reliable. You may not care for how they look and that's one thing but there is absolutely nothing wrong there reliability wise. Now external extractors on other brands may be a different story.

Bruce
Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
And this is helpful to the OP, how?
It sugests he might expand his options.
Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
If you can list them, you aint got enough!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Recommend you find a nice used Colt 70 or 80 series or look at the Sig 1911 series
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 AM

A gunsmith I know of likes S&W because he rarely sees problems with them. I just purchased a new E-Series Bobtail, but can't get back to try it out for quite a while (I live overseas part of the year).

There is a post in this very forum about LEO's and 1911's. Not many S&W's in the bunch, but I read at least a post or two stating that the officers start with 1911's in the Kimber and Springfield mid-range, but end up with too many problems and upgrade to more expensive guns (like Les Baer, etc).