Extreme Threat to the NRA! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 AM

Extreme Threat to the NRA!

I've just become aware of an extreme threat that everyone who values their gun rights should be aware of. The latest issue of the NRA magazine "Shooting Illustrated" has an article on page 68 titled "Critical Update" that I think was added immediately before they went to press. It has a message from Wayne LaPierre, saying that actions taken by Andrew Cuomo (governor of New York state) will put the NRA out of business if the actions are allowed to continue. The NRA has filed a lawsuit in Federal court seeking to stop Cuomo's actions against the NRA. The NRA is requesting donations specifically to help fund this lawsuit. If this lawsuit fails, the NRA WILL be history, and soon thereafter, so will the 2nd Amendment. As LaPierre says, "This is NOT a drill".
Old 04-27-2019, 11:54 AM

LaPierre, should give up some of his massive salary to fund this legal battle. I'll wait patiently.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:56 AM

I realize Cuomo would LIKE to kill the NRA but I am sufficiently jaded that THE SKY IS FALLING will not always pry open my wallet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 01:00 PM

What are these "actions"? After receiving several membership renewals in the mail that were formatted like collections notices, (I.e. "Last Notice, Action required immediately" Inlarge red letters) I'm a little hesitant to sign over my 401k.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:27 PM

If the NRA hadn't gone into the insurance bidness they would'nt be having a fight with NY state.

They sort of stuck their neck out there.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:50 PM
Administrator

I see a lot of parallels between the NRA and AARP. Both began as lobbying groups for their particular special interests and both devolved into for-profit organizations hawking everything from insurance to car rentals.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:58 PM

Who the he|| failed to understand that insurance laws and regulations are the province of the states and NOT the Feds?

The left wing NY lunatics have weaponized their insurance laws and regulations and the NRA stepped to close to the line, if not over it.

Insurance sales are solely a STATE issue.

Or would all have VA quality medical care.

They dicked around so long when my uncle had pneumonia it drowned the bottom half of each lung and he was on oxygen for the rest of his life.

Carried a bottle and had a cannula for about 15 years.

Something a small dose of prednisone would have fixed in a few days to a week.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
LaPierre, should give up some of his massive salary to fund this legal battle. I'll wait patiently.
Agreed... I'll immediately re-join the NRA as soon as LaPierre is replaced. I'll continue to support the 2A in other ways.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Agreed... I'll immediately re-join the NRA as soon as LaPierre is replaced. I'll continue to support the 2A in other ways.
Well, I guess it all hinges on you .
Old 04-28-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
Well, I guess it all hinges on you .
Old 04-28-2019, 11:43 PM

Why do these NRA update threads turn in to Bash the the NRA and Wayne LaPierre gabfests?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 AM

Because the NRA is really starting to piss us off.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:54 AM

I think that it was the NRA's foray into insurance that got them in trouble with New York. If the NRA loses their lawsuits then they can stop selling insurance. They sort of stole the insurance business from the other company that started it all anyway. But the NRA and the other PACs send out so many "the world is ending" kind of solicitations for donations so much that I quit paying attention to them. Almost every day I get a solicitation or more from them.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Because the NRA is really starting to piss us off.
*Applause*
Old 04-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Have you ever heard the phrase "divide and conquer" ? Sounds like some folks here have already been divided by anti-NRA propagandists. Even assuming some of it is true, there is an old poker players saying about when does one play in a crooked game. The answer is when it's the only game in town. When it comes to protecting the second amendment, the NRA is the only game in town. Were it not for them, the second amendment would probably have been repealed years ago and this would be a pellet gun forum.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Adminstrator

Yes, it's sad to see some of our own fall for that divide and conquer crap.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Have you ever heard the phrase "divide and conquer" ?
They would give in to the Leftists just to spite Wayne LaPierre.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
I realize Cuomo would LIKE to kill the NRA but I am sufficiently jaded that THE SKY IS FALLING will not always pry open my wallet.
Yeah, how would NY disappearing from Earth (or creating their own stupid laws) put the NRA out of business?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:49 AM

Perhaps I've missed something, but I haven't read any comments advocating for a mass exodus from the NRA. There's no 'new division' that threatens the existence of the NRA. We're not going anywhere. However, I'll ask this: to those of you who are comfortable with the 'status quo', will you still be OK with Wayne and the leadership when our ranks dwindle to 4M members? How about when the 4M becomes 3M? The fact is we're not picking up the numbers we need in the younger generations, and depressing as it is to admit, we older folks won't be around forever. Perhaps there would be fewer 'sky is falling' donation requests in our mailboxes if there were higher numbers of new, younger dues-paying members contributing?

I believe that the NRA suffers from the same ailments that inevitably afflict long-standing, monolithic organizations with entrenched leadership: lethargy, complacency, and myopic focus. The lethargy makes it difficult to react quickly to changing conditions. The complacency makes it easier to do what we're 'used' to doing, regardless of whether it's the best course of action. The myopic focus makes it very difficult to see the big picture. And let's face it, big money changing hands tends to subvert whatever good intentions existed at the outset. Even the appearance of impropriety is damaging enough.

Most of us support the NRA not only in name, but also with our wallets, and with our actions. In my case, I contribute, I teach their classes, I put their logo on my vehicles and I promote the association to everyone who cares to ask. However, one goofy statement from Wayne or one ill-worded press release / sound bite can do more damage than I can ever hope to offset. In practical terms, to blindly follow a flawed strategy is as foolish as abandoning ship while there's still a chance to save it.

Again, we need not just new blood, we need 'capable' new blood. Eloquent, visionary leaders who can appeal to that huge swath of Americans that exist in the wide gulf between the loony left and us, the current NRA members. Those are the people we need and we're not taking the proper measures to bring them into the fold. North was not that guy. Wayne has never been that guy.

As I said in the other thread, there's no reason why the NRA shouldn't boast 10M or 15M members, save for our lack of vision and leadership. If we continue down the current path, our approx. 5M WILL become 4M. Then what? At that point it'll be too late to say: "Gee, perhaps we should've swapped out the old guard while there was still time!"

Again, we're not going anywhere, regardless of what happens. I suppose we can resolve to be 'content' with the current state of affairs, but the reality is we could be doing so much more with the right people at the helm. I do hope we can turn things around.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:16 PM

havanajim has pretty well nailed it.

They need to break the mold so to speak and broaden the appeal of the organization to a wider segment of the population. I am going to write a letter to this effect and include it with my next donation. Not sure if it will actually get to Wayne or Chris. But one of the staffers will at least see it and some good may come of it. They should try to get Tom Selleck to take a greater part in the PR direction. Additionally get some people that do not look like old stodgy white guys out there.

I thought that this was what Colion Noir was all about. But I have not seen or heard much from him of late. They need to bring in some Americans of Hispanic descent on stage. I think that they are the fastest growing segment of the population currently.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Perhaps I've missed something, but I haven't read any comments advocating for a mass exodus from the NRA. There's no 'new division' that threatens the existence of the NRA. We're not going anywhere.

I believe that the NRA suffers from the same ailments that inevitably afflict long-standing, monolithic organizations with entrenched leadership: lethargy, complacency, and myopic focus.

Most of us support the NRA not only in name, but also with our wallets, and with our actions.

Again, we need not just new blood, we need 'capable' new blood. Eloquent, visionary leaders who can appeal to that huge swath of Americans that exist in the wide gulf between the loony left and us, the current NRA members.

Again, we're not going anywhere, regardless of what happens. I suppose we can resolve to be 'content' with the current state of affairs, but the reality is we could be doing so much more with the right people at the helm. I do hope we can turn things around.
An outstanding post!! Havanajim, you should apply to the NRA for a leadership position. I'm a voting member, and you'd get my vote.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Perhaps I've missed something, but I haven't read any comments advocating for a mass exodus from the NRA. There's no 'new division' that threatens the existence of the NRA. We're not going anywhere. However, I'll ask this: to those of you who are comfortable with the 'status quo', will you still be OK with Wayne and the leadership when our ranks dwindle to 4M members? How about when the 4M becomes 3M? The fact is we're not picking up the numbers we need in the younger generations, and depressing as it is to admit, we older folks won't be around forever. Perhaps there would be fewer 'sky is falling' donation requests in our mailboxes if there were higher numbers of new, younger dues-paying members contributing?

I believe that the NRA suffers from the same ailments that inevitably afflict long-standing, monolithic organizations with entrenched leadership: lethargy, complacency, and myopic focus. The lethargy makes it difficult to react quickly to changing conditions. The complacency makes it easier to do what we're 'used' to doing, regardless of whether it's the best course of action. The myopic focus makes it very difficult to see the big picture. And let's face it, big money changing hands tends to subvert whatever good intentions existed at the outset. Even the appearance of impropriety is damaging enough.

Most of us support the NRA not only in name, but also with our wallets, and with our actions. In my case, I contribute, I teach their classes, I put their logo on my vehicles and I promote the association to everyone who cares to ask. However, one goofy statement from Wayne or one ill-worded press release / sound bite can do more damage than I can ever hope to offset. In practical terms, to blindly follow a flawed strategy is as foolish as abandoning ship while there's still a chance to save it.

Again, we need not just new blood, we need 'capable' new blood. Eloquent, visionary leaders who can appeal to that huge swath of Americans that exist in the wide gulf between the loony left and us, the current NRA members. Those are the people we need and we're not taking the proper measures to bring them into the fold. North was not that guy. Wayne has never been that guy.

As I said in the other thread, there's no reason why the NRA shouldn't boast 10M or 15M members, save for our lack of vision and leadership. If we continue down the current path, our approx. 5M WILL become 4M. Then what? At that point it'll be too late to say: "Gee, perhaps we should've swapped out the old guard while there was still time!"

+1911
I was about to post much the same as you posted above. I couldn’t add much more but to emphasize that the NRA - needs to grow the membership. Five mill is not enough. The NRAs political influence in Congress lessens with each new Dem politician elected. The Dems, and some Reps, no longer fear the “third rail” of political consequences on gun control issues from NRA members. However, with two or three times the members, even some of the Dems would have to listen.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 04-29-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Have you ever heard the phrase "divide and conquer" ? Sounds like some folks here have already been divided by anti-NRA propagandists. Even assuming some of it is true, there is an old poker players saying about when does one play in a crooked game. The answer is when it's the only game in town. When it comes to protecting the second amendment, the NRA is the only game in town. Were it not for them, the second amendment would probably have been repealed years ago and this would be a pellet gun forum.
Well said!! There's nothing I need to add. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:05 PM

One other thing is also clear.

All of the media bloodsuckers are having a field day with this.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:08 PM

The 2 biggest problems the organization has, is an inability to market and defend themselves efficiently, and the fact many gun owners feel "betrayed". The bumpstock fiasco angered many, and the NRA's statement regarding red flag laws didn't help this sentiment either.

I understood many of you think this infighting is making the ship sink. But the reality is, is that if we ignore the current problems with the organization entirely, membership will plummet further, and the organization will fade away entirely. The NRA needs to restructure itself into the gun rights lobby it once was, and focus less on cooler sales, and handing out A ratings like candy (many anti gun politicians have gotten these for whatever reason, even after taking bad actions.)