1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 04:43 PM

USGI grips or not?

Hi friends!
I decided to buy one of the Auto Ordnance BXO military clones and am very happy with it. I thought it would be nice to at least have a set of authentic USGI grip panels on it just to make me feel better. I bought these on eBay but now have doubts if they are USGI or not. Any ideas?

Thank you, Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190610_174646611.jpg  

Last edited by Dave Baird; 06-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Does it really matter if you put GI clone grips on a GI clone pistol? As long as you like them it doesn't matter.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:18 PM

Well, I didn't ask for an opinion of my decision. Just if anyone knows if the grips I posted might be USGI or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 PM

I don't know for a fact but they sure look like the ones on all of our Army .45's that we carried in the '70s and 80's.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 PM

they appear to be Vietnam or later GI replacement grips, not WW2

possibly 1970 - 1980 era?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:37 PM
Administrator

They're not WW2 or Korean vintage. Possibly Vietnam or later, but it's hard to say for sure as anyone could make grips with a military drawing number on the inside.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:59 PM

Thanks fellas! These are advertised as post-1970 era USGI grips, so maybe they are! I originally became interested in the Auto Ordnance (made in USA) when reading the thread on this forum: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=438714
One of the guys said he preferred USGI grips over the cheap ones that came on his pistol. So, naturally, I ordered (this) set too. Once I removed the grips that came with my pistol, they are the exact same! So, either Auto Ordnance put USGI grips on their guns which I think is a cool accessory; or, all of these might be cheapo repos! I don't know if we'll ever know for 100%, but I'm keeping mine hoping they are legit. Thank you all again!
Dave