Hard Hat Finish - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 PM

Hard Hat Finish

In regards to the Hard Hat Finish. Is it a shiny black or a dull or matte finish?
I like the black , but I don't really care for the shinier ones.

TRS; SS Stinger; 6"PII w/1.5"
Old 12-11-2011, 02:32 AM

I believe its dependant on the underlying finish of the pistol to start with. I would assume a bead blasted pistol would turn out flatter then a polished pistol
Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 AM

My old PII that has been Hard Hat finished. It's been a year and still looks the same. No wear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Looks tuff.
Dan Wesson Valor (2009) Valor #46 Cotep #184
Springfield TRP 10mm 6" RMR
Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Helm View Post
My old PII that has been Hard Hat finished. It's been a year and still looks the same. No wear.

Good looking gun.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:30 PM

My Custom Carry (as well as others) have the Hard Hat treatment and it is flat black. You can ask Dave Severns directly about how the finish of the metal underneath would affect gloss or flat.
The treatment is TOUGH and I have found nothing yet, including a screw head that has even smudged it, let alone damaged it. I love being able to use a pistol in day to day stuff, and still have it look brand new - best of both worlds!
Dave's site - https://severnscustom.com/
Good luck,
Sarge

Old 12-11-2011, 01:57 PM

Hey Sarge. Could we get an open view of the grips on your Dark Knights gun. Those things look awesome. As does the rest of the gun. Very nice. Thanks ...
Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Hold my beer & watch this

I'll parrot that Dave has said it depends on the metal underneath. I would suppose the gun could be prepped to allow for a dull or shinier finish. Either way it's a fairly matte finish, but not completely dull like most of the Ionbond I've seen.

I do know for a fact it's harder than a coffin nail. I've had it on my DW CBOB for a few years now and in nearly 7000 rounds and lots of carry it still looks new everywhere there's no friction. The only visible wear is along the rails, on the slide where it rides the disconnector and on the slide stop itself - to be clear the finish hasn't worn down or worn through, only been buffed to a higher gloss through use.

Anyway I got it on my CC recently. Most of the sheen is from fresh oil in the pics. It certainly isn't shiny like some of the paint-on finishes.

On that last one you can see the oil picking up a lot of the light. For a more accurate look, here's my CBOB. Quite a bit more matte when dry, as you can see.

COTEP #10
"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some death to defy."