.22 Conversion for SW1911PD - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-09-2019, 06:37 PM

.22 Conversion for SW1911PD

I purchased a SW1911PD (no box or papers) with the intent of putting on my Colt 22 conversion, that I currently use on a Colt Government. When I got it installed, I could not pull the trigger. The only difference between the PD and my other 1911 is in the below picture. What is that part?
Attached Thumbnails
SW1911PD Receiver Pic Mod.jpg  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:57 PM

Firing pin safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indynick View Post
I purchased a SW1911PD (no box or papers) with the intent of putting on my Colt 22 conversion, that I currently use on a Colt Government. When I got it installed, I could not pull the trigger. The only difference between the PD and my other 1911 is in the below picture. What is that part?
Looks to be a part of the firing-pin safety. The S&W design is operated by the grip safety. Does the trigger operate when the center-fire upper is mounted and the grip safety is disengaged?
Old 05-09-2019, 09:03 PM

When I first got the gun, I sent 200 rounds down range, with the original slide, with no problems. I can also put the trigger, with no slide installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 09:43 PM

You are correct. It is a firing pin safety. I found this thread.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=286924

Don't know what I am going to do now. I got the SW1911PD to use the 22 on.

My Colt was build in 1928, so no firing pin safety. My other SW1911 E-Series does not have it either.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 PM

Thats unfortunate. I was one of the members saying that a Colt .22 Conversion Unit will work on a S&W when you were asking originally. I've not seen that firing pin safety on a S&W before and as you can see my SW1911PC doesn't have one either.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2005.JPG  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:39 AM

The PD is a very nice shooter, so all is not lost. I will just put the 22 on my E-Series, and keep an eye out for something else.

Do you know the year your PD was built? Also, I see you are using a shock-buffer. Is that because of the Alloy frame?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
The PD is a very nice shooter, so all is not lost. I will just put the 22 on my E-Series, and keep an eye out for something else.

Do you know the year your PD was built? Also, I see you are using a shock-buffer. Is that because of the Alloy frame?
My pistol is from the Performance Centre and its a full size all stainless pistol. I use the shock buffers on all my 1911's. Cheap insurance in my mind. We can't carry up here so I have no reliability concerns using them, although it's been 100% reliable with them.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 PM

Short side-track

Quote:
Originally Posted by 824tsv View Post
I've not seen that firing pin safety on a S&W before and as you can see my SW1911PC doesn't have one either.
Is that frame in the white? In any case, it looks nice. The softness of the factory finish was a minor nuisance as I was using kydex holsters at the time I puchased mine. } -;

[ed. Ah ... NVM ... steel, so yes, it’s in the white.]

Last edited by tgt_usa; 05-10-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:03 PM

Since you didnt recognize it ...

Quote:
You are correct. It is a firing pin safety. I found this thread.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=286924

Don't know what I am going to do now. I got the SW1911PD to use the 22 on.

My Colt was build in 1928, so no firing pin safety. My other SW1911 E-Series does not have it either.
Since you didnt recognize it, youíve likely not previously re-assembled a 1911-pattern with a FPS. And Iíve certainly re-assembled 1911-pattern pistols such that the FPS would not disengage; taken it back apart and, paying more attention, re-assembled it correctly as indicated by the action now working. Thatíd be my -guess- here. Never used a Coltsí .22 conversion ... but lots of other .22 conversions. So itís -possible- thereís an incompatibility with the FPS ... but Iíd be pretty surprised.

S&W has given me ownerís manuals for the asking. If theyíve had a policy change, itís likely still worthwhile to get one. Ah ha! Is your S&W a government? Or a commander? That model I understand to be a commander ... and this might explain an incompatibility:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showpos...84&postcount=6

Last edited by tgt_usa; 05-10-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:55 AM

It is a government. I will examine the 22 slide and the PD Slide, and look for the differences. I assume the PD will have a firing pin plunger in the slide, for the upper sear to press on.