Remington R1 experience - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 AM

I bought an R1 Carry for dirt cheap via the Friends and Family deal. Never owned a Remington other than 700's and 11-87's. For $550 out the door, including FFL transfer fees... I figured why not?

When I got the gun, I was blown away by the level of workmanship, the fit and finish. I thought I had the deal of the century and was certain the gun would be a shooter.

Unfortunately, it was a 4-5" at 25 yd gun at best regardless of what it was fed, so I got rid of it.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

Unfortunately, it was a 4-5" at 25 yd gun at best regardless of what it was fed, so I got rid of it.
most 1.5" guaranteed semi custom 1911s are shot with a fixed mechanical devise. 4-5" groups off hand standing is a very respectable combat accuracy.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:05 PM

I wish I could complain about shooting 4" group at 20 yards, or 4-5" groups at 25 years. Those numbers would be great for me.

When I got back into shooting and got my Ruger 1911 cmd, I was shooting 6" left and 6" high. But after reading posts here and other articles, I have improved greatly, at least for me. Usually 3" groups at 12 yards, sometimes 1.5", sometimes not very good at all.

Reading the posts is almost as much fun as shooting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewie51 View Post
I wish I could complain about shooting 4" group at 20 yards, or 4-5" groups at 25 years. Those numbers would be great for me.

When I got back into shooting and got my Ruger 1911 cmd, I was shooting 6" left and 6" high. But after reading posts here and other articles, I have improved greatly, at least for me. Usually 3" groups at 12 yards, sometimes 1.5", sometimes not very good at all.

Reading the posts is almost as much fun as shooting.
I'm with you . I don't know how anyone can be so precise at 25 yards off-hand. I'd feel lucky to get 5" grouping at that distance.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbreloader View Post
I'm with you . I don't know how anyone can be so precise at 25 yards off-hand. I'd feel lucky to get 5" grouping at that distance.
I'm not interested in "combat" accuracy so I'm not shooting offhand. I enjoy putting a bunch of holes as close together as I can so I'm shooting off bags at 25 yds. All my semi customs will do 2" or less in my hands. I enjoy an inexpensive 1911 myself, but one that won't shoot any better than 4-5" at 25 yds just isn't an enjoyable experience for me to shoot.

I've learned over the years that $1500 and up 1911's will do that. Sub $1000 guns typically can't but occasionally you'll find one that does.

I expect that the next post will be of a 2" group that somebody shot 1 time with an R1.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I'm not interested in "combat" accuracy so I'm not shooting offhand. I enjoy putting a bunch of holes as close together as I can so I'm shooting off bags at 25 yds. All my semi customs will do 2" or less in my hands. I enjoy an inexpensive 1911 myself, but one that won't shoot any better than 4-5" at 25 yds just isn't an enjoyable experience for me to shoot.

I've learned over the years that $1500 and up 1911's will do that. Sub $1000 guns typically can't but occasionally you'll find one that does.

I expect that the next post will be of a 2" group that somebody shot 1 time with an R1.
What is it you enjoy from economy priced 1911's that you dont get from your "semi-custom" guns? Yes I am your next poster who has done just that too..... And my R1 likes its cheap factory mags better than fancy pants namebrand mags too. Folks on this board are amazing. "Look I bought the econo model and its not as good as my safe full of tricked out guns. See it proves Remington is junk and my Dan Wesson is the best and it only took my spending $600 to prove it....."
Old 12-30-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0119 View Post
What is it you enjoy from economy priced 1911's that you dont get from your "semi-custom" guns? Yes I am your next poster who has done just that too..... And my R1 likes its cheap factory mags better than fancy pants namebrand mags too. Folks on this board are amazing. "Look I bought the econo model and its not as good as my safe full of tricked out guns. See it proves Remington is junk and my Dan Wesson is the best and it only took my spending $600 to prove it....."
Nah. I like guns that shoot tiny little groups. The problem is that it's very difficult to find inexpensive guns that can. Like I said....you'll find one occasionally that will, but for the most part, they won't. Ergo, I end up buying guns that will. They typically cost in excess of $1500 or so. I'm not a Remington hater. As well put together as the gun was... I was very surprised it wouldn't do any better than what it did.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 PM

If it still has a battery problem call them again and put a note in the package. My experience with their CS was very good. Don't let them off the hook. The extractor is probably the problem. With the recoil spring removed you should be able to point it at the ceiling and point it at the ground and the slide should go into battery.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 PM

Funny you say that Charlie. I have tried an 18lb and 20lb recoil spring and it will now hesitate but go into battery with that 20lb'er. I will try your trick, and then get in touch with Remington again, unless the extractor is an issue that I can fix myself and save the trouble of sending it back.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde the Pointer View Post
It doesn't matter whether reloads or factory = same failure. It's a gun issue not a "me" issue. Others have documented the same here with pics.
Clyde,

I had a few FTF/FTR problems with my R1S, but it was rampant with my Sig 1911 RCS. I solved the problem with the R1S by changing ammo - found that there was a slight lip where bullet was pressed into the casing on the Fiocchi .45 ACP Ball ammo I was using so switched to Federal, Winchester, and Blazer - that helped tremendously.

Also got some Wilson 47D mags - now - after over a 1000 rounds thru my R1S, have no issues with it, even with Fiocchi, unless I use one of the stock Remington or MecGar mags I have. As for the Sig, had to send it back to them twice to get the feed ramp polished and they finally had to change the slide - the fit was too tight to allow proper cycling. Working much better now - but also had to replace the stock Sig officer's model mags with Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags to get flawless cycling.

Have no issues with the accuracy of either pistol, they both exceed my capabilities. Hope you have been able to get some resolution to your problems. I'd guess that some of the attitudes in Illion NY now are due to the upcoming shift of manufacturing operations to Huntsville, AL. They aren't very happy - we don't expect many of them to make the move here and local hires are already being made for some of the key positions.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:39 PM

Called Remington today and had a nice conversation with a young lady who will arrange for repair #2 of this pistol.

Meantime I bought a Series 80 Colt stainless, rattles, supposedly not shot too much, and fired great for me. Not nearly as tight as the Remington, but worked.

I will keep the updates coming. And above Sir, the issue is not with ammo it's with the gun. And yes I have changed mags around. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:48 AM

R1S Enhanced...Failure to return to battery

I have a R1S Enhanced purchased new three days ago that will not return to battery. The slide catches internally, leaving about a 1/4" gap between the face and the barrel. I've contacted Remington and am waiting for a response. This is not a "normal" issue with any 1911 I've ever owned, including my other Remington R1S government model.

I'm very disappointed at the lack of quality control exhibited by this American manufacturer, seems that Remington is another company that has turned engineering and manufacturing over to accountants.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:50 PM

My newly acquired R1 is used, but has not been shot at all. Maybe 25 rds. If I shoot using the tip of my trigger finger, Will take out the x ring, if i let it slide to the first joint the groups open up and move left and down 4 to 5 inches. Make sure of your finger placement. Taught to me by a couple of very experenced IDPA shooters.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:33 PM

I am finding the barrel link pin is starting move a little side to side after a few months and is concerning me on the sideways drift my shots have been showing. I am an experienced Army shooter, I may have to address it sometime later this year but most of my accuracy problems have to deal with finger tip control and forearm flexing while pulling the trigger. I noticed a two to three mm drift pulling toward my shooting hand. Been usung a pushing motion with pulls to compensate. Try dry firing while you are sitting around and working on muscle memory mechanics.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:48 AM

When I first got my R1 I was really disappointed with it. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Several months later I purchased a Colt Commander and my accuracy with THAT pistol was MUCH MUCH better! I also found that I could shoot my wife's Kimber way better than the Remington. So looking at all 3 guns...what I found was that the Colt and Kimber pistols had longer triggers. The R1 has a REALLY short trigger. After replacing the short trigger with a Wilson Combat long trigger, it behaved like a completely different gun. It is now my favorite gun to shoot.

As far as not going into battery....I've seen it happen twice with my R1 but by that time I had around 4,000 rounds through it. I dropped in an 18 lbs Wilson Combat recoil spring and haven't seen it happen since. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:25 PM

For a $600 pistol you can't ask for much more.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickers View Post
I have a R1S Enhanced purchased new three days ago that will not return to battery. The slide catches internally, leaving about a 1/4" gap between the face and the barrel. I've contacted Remington and am waiting for a response. This is not a "normal" issue with any 1911 I've ever owned, including my other Remington R1S government model.

I'm very disappointed at the lack of quality control exhibited by this American manufacturer, seems that Remington is another company that has turned engineering and manufacturing over to accountants.
02/22:
Received my Enhanced back from Remington's authorized service center, paperwork indicates that a burr was removed from the disconnector, this did not solve the issue. Whoever did the "work" on my pistol left it so dirty it took quite a while to clean up after them. All I can say is goodbye Remington, both of my 19111 R1's are going to be replaced.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:14 PM

An update on my (replacement) R1...

After going through the internal workings of this pistol extensively
(and I mean extensively!) and smoothing out everything that moves and
anything stationary that is near anything that moves, finally doing a
True Radius trim on the sear, and switching to lithium grease this pistol
is more than acceptable.

It has become a real keeper.

The trigger is near perfect.
The action is smooth as silk.
Accuracy is better than expected (and better than me).
And it looks really good in black and white.

On top of that, it has forced me to learn a lot more about
the workings of the venerable 1911.

I've done three 1911 clean-up jobs now.
Maybe I'm just weird, but I get a huge sense of satisfaction from this kind of work.
It's very enjoyable.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:06 PM

I received my pistol back last week. They replaced the barrel, and plunger tube. Paperwork stated "tight chamber".

I have put a hundred rounds through it and no battery return issues. I always liked the rest of the gun. Now I feel like it is reliable and continue to shoot it and report on accuracy. I am shooting steel plates at 35 and 65 yards. That's just my thing. The close in stuff (25 yds) is like shooting fish in a barrel to me. I like the challenge of longer range shooting. Next I will put up steel at 100 yards. Winter gets boring here in OH!

I will shoot it on paper and publish that. Once I get a few more rounds downrange. Am using 200 gr Missouri bullets and 5.4 gr HP 38. I tried a few of their new coated bullets and really like those, much cleaner to shoot. Less munk on the gun too.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:55 AM

My R1S was shooting to the left, I put a Wilson Combat long match trigger in, that made the gun a good shooter.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 AM

One thing I have noticed on new gun owners is that they are all about what experts say and have no experience of their own. Kind of like a guy who watches fishing shows but never put a line in the water. But he talks a big deal.

All I see is gotta do a trigger job. Gotta get a match grade barrel. Gotta make this tighter. Gotta get one of these for it. Gotta polish the feed ramp. Gotta gotta gotta...

Does anyone actually shoot the gun. Metal parts need to break in and mesh with each other to see what they really need. If you change things to what you think you need or you think it needs now guess what after a couple hundred rounds it changes.

Reading all these what the pros say will only make your weapon fit for them.

I say break it in first, fix anything that makes it unuseable, get the feel of it. Change only what needs to be changed for you. Your hand is too big get a longer trigger. A spring is out of spec, change it. Let a new gun become what it was meant to be first. Give it some seasoning. You don't take a new car and gun the hell out of it right off the show room floor. The parts have mesh first. No two guns or cars are the same, like people each one is different in its own way.

Browning designed it for an Army horse soldier, yes there have been some refinements , but that soldier 100 years ago can take your gun down today and put it back together. The design was ment to be kept clean, it was meant to be well lubed, it was designed for ball ammo. If anyone wants to find out what the weapon requirements are just look up the United States Army model M1911A1 technical manual. Then go from there before getting too carried away and complaining about this and that. Break it in, let it tell you this is what I am, then start molding it one thing at a time to what feels best for you. It is not a Glock now will it ever be. It is heavy, it is reliable, it was designed for 7 shots not 17, it is a single action. It has a complex safety system with interlocking, it is a military intended weapon, not for kids who want a video game gun..

You don't get three lives in this world you get one, this gun was not designed for a game but for hard reality it was made to protect your life and it has done it damn well for a hundred and four years.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
an update on my (replacement) r1...

After going through the internal workings of this pistol extensively
(and i mean extensively!) and smoothing out everything that moves and
anything stationary that is near anything that moves, finally doing a
true radius trim on the sear, and switching to lithium grease this pistol
is more than acceptable.

It has become a real keeper.

The trigger is near perfect.
The action is smooth as silk.
Accuracy is better than expected (and better than me).
And it looks really good in black and white.

On top of that, it has forced me to learn a lot more about
the workings of the venerable 1911.

I've done three 1911 clean-up jobs now.
Maybe i'm just weird, but i get a huge sense of satisfaction from this kind of work.
It's very enjoyable.
^+1
Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM

Sgt. Y - I like your post. Most people I know who really love guns and like to shoot consider going to the range and putting most of a box of 50 through it a full day. They keep back enough out of the box so they can fill up the magazine. Although that may be fun it is not much more than plinking. The range trip probably costs them $30 plus gas. They take much joy in just holding it and talking about what they have. All of that is fine. What I know and many people here know is that they are missing the real fun.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Y View Post
One thing I have noticed on new gun owners is that they are all about what experts say and have no experience of their own. Kind of like a guy who watches fishing shows but never put a line in the water. But he talks a big deal.

All I see is gotta do a trigger job. Gotta get a match grade barrel. Gotta make this tighter. Gotta get one of these for it. Gotta polish the feed ramp. Gotta gotta gotta...

Does anyone actually shoot the gun. Metal parts need to break in and mesh with each other to see what they really need. If you change things to what you think you need or you think it needs now guess what after a couple hundred rounds it changes.

Reading all these what the pros say will only make your weapon fit for them.

I say break it in first, fix anything that makes it unuseable, get the feel of it. Change only what needs to be changed for you. Your hand is too big get a longer trigger. A spring is out of spec, change it. Let a new gun become what it was meant to be first. Give it some seasoning. You don't take a new car and gun the hell out of it right off the show room floor. The parts have mesh first. No two guns or cars are the same, like people each one is different in its own way.

Browning designed it for an Army horse soldier, yes there have been some refinements , but that soldier 100 years ago can take your gun down today and put it back together. The design was ment to be kept clean, it was meant to be well lubed, it was designed for ball ammo. If anyone wants to find out what the weapon requirements are just look up the United States Army model M1911A1 technical manual. Then go from there before getting too carried away and complaining about this and that. Break it in, let it tell you this is what I am, then start molding it one thing at a time to what feels best for you. It is not a Glock now will it ever be. It is heavy, it is reliable, it was designed for 7 shots not 17, it is a single action. It has a complex safety system with interlocking, it is a military intended weapon, not for kids who want a video game gun..

You don't get three lives in this world you get one, this gun was not designed for a game but for hard reality it was made to protect your life and it has done it damn well for a hundred and four years.

That is the best post I've read in years !!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbreloader View Post
Me, but then you don't know me. All the gun PROBABLY needed was the right length barrel link (or a Group Gripper) if there was vertical play at the back, a reasonably snug bushing if the factory bushing was sloppy *ss loose, and good ammo and you got your 2"-2.5" groups. Been there, done it, no big deal. Haven't seen a R1 yet that that couldn't be made to shoot well with very little effort and expense if needed.