Retirement!!! - Page 12 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-30-2019, 07:17 PM

Update......I had my meeting/interview this week with my potential new employer. Numbers are where they need to be. If I can squeeze a couple more weeks of vacation out of them....I'm pulling the trigger. Hard to go from 340 hours of vacation on the books to 2 weeks. I might not use it, but for peace of mind.....I gotta have it.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:39 PM

Hope it works out for the best.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 03-31-2019, 03:42 PM

Not a LEO, but a mostly retired guy. What I think is key to retirement is to be debt-free when you clock out. If you look at what the average family pays out in interest on debt, it is as much as a lot of people live on. And remember, money you don't spend on payments is after-tax money, so you actually get all of it. If you need another year or two to get you debt-free, I would say hang in there. Otherwise, go for it. Do keep in mind that health insurance costs as much as a full-time minimum wage job makes, so pension subsidized or Medicare is a big deal. Whatever you decide, good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
Not a LEO, but a mostly retired guy. What I think is key to retirement is to be debt-free when you clock out. If you look at what the average family pays out in interest on debt, it is as much as a lot of people live on. And remember, money you don't spend on payments is after-tax money, so you actually get all of it. If you need another year or two to get you debt-free, I would say hang in there. Otherwise, go for it. Do keep in mind that health insurance costs as much as a full-time minimum wage job makes, so pension subsidized or Medicare is a big deal. Whatever you decide, good luck to you.
I have found that to be entirely true as well. I have two older brothers that were forced to retire (non-LEO) before they had their debt paid off - both are struggling with varying degrees of success. Health Care costs are also a major consideration when looking at retirement "net" income. There are several things to look at.

Having said that, retiring from one profession and being well-paid to work another with benefits (such as health care and 401k) can be a good choice even if you have a few years left before outstanding debt is paid down. A KEY factor to consider is: at full retirement (no real side-job significant income), what percentage of current income will you be able to live on? Run those numbers too - for both paths.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:28 AM

I have found 2 reason's (mainly) why some folks fall out of the pure bliss retirement brings:

1) Personal finance issue, as discussed above...But also...
2) Loosing a feeling of purpose and getting "bored", even when they have more money than they likely will spend on planet earth.

As for LEO's, I have two very close friends who are retired-Leos, a neighbor and a childhood friend (NYPD)...The latter picked up security work the day he left NYPD and continues to work what was about 20 years since his retirement out on necessity, mostly to support his X-wife and Kid (the X-wife was also NYPD left on disability, but knew just how to screw him). But also unfortunately he spends well above his means on himself.

The former went back to work because he retired "too" early and just got plain bored.

I retired 2 years ago after working all my life starting at about age 12 with paper route, then part time at a catering hall washing dishes, then the US Navy, college, followed by 35 more years in a blue chip company. Enough is enough, I don't miss working, I have so many "hobbies" and things I'm passionate about, and nothing short of starvation for me and mine would ever cause me to go back.

So yes, get your finances in order, but also, and especially, for you guys retiring after say 20 years and are still very young, make sure you have a lot of passion's to keep yourself happy.

BTW, neither of my retired leo friends carry, except the NYPD guy for his security jobs, a bit ironic.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-02-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 AM

G50 and CA are my two favorite guys on the Forum. So, I'll throw in my experience with retirement. Officially I retired Dec 31, 2018, although I had a medical issue that forced me to burn through 8 months of sick time before that. Therefore, it's been almost a year since I've worked. I miss parts of it, but we built a house and moved into it this last year so we've been extremely busy.

Financially, I think I've got it squared away, but you never really know what life will bring you. I haven't really pared down my spending, but I plan to very soon. After my next gun, I promise. At least that's what I tell her. I don't really feel old enough to be retired, but I am 64. So I guess that's old enough. If I get bored there are things I will do to fill the time. I doubt very seriously that I'll ever go back to work again.

I'll probably post more on the Forum, and therefore put my foot in my mouth like I'm prone to do, but please take it with a grain of salt. One thing I've noticed in the last 5 or 6 years on the Forum is how the quality of the guns and gunsmithing has risen above what it was before, which was already outstanding. So to my fellow retirees, enjoy every day, because we never know what's around the corner.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
G50 and CA are my two favorite guys on the Forum. So, I'll throw in my experience with retirement. Officially I retired Dec 31, 2018, although I had a medical issue that forced me to burn through 8 months of sick time before that. Therefore, it's been almost a year since I've worked. I miss parts of it, but we built a house and moved into it this last year so we've been extremely busy.

Financially, I think I've got it squared away, but you never really know what life will bring you. I haven't really pared down my spending, but I plan to very soon. After my next gun, I promise. At least that's what I tell her. I don't really feel old enough to be retired, but I am 64. So I guess that's old enough. If I get bored there are things I will do to fill the time. I doubt very seriously that I'll ever go back to work again.

I'll probably post more on the Forum, and therefore put my foot in my mouth like I'm prone to do, but please take it with a grain of salt. One thing I've noticed in the last 5 or 6 years on the Forum is how the quality of the guns and gunsmithing has risen above what it was before, which was already outstanding. So to my fellow retirees, enjoy every day, because we never know what's around the corner.
Brad My Friend, enjoy your retirement Brother! I'm so glad to hear you made it to the "Land-of-Bliss"! I am also hoping you had a great outcome from the medical issue.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-02-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Brad My Friend, enjoy your retirement Brother! I'm so glad to hear you made it to the "Land-of-Bliss"! I am also hoping you had a great outcome from the medical issue.
Thanks CA. The medical issue resulted from an accident where I lost 75% of the vision in my left eye and then couldn't pass the FAA vision test. I'm totally fine, just legally blind in my left eye. Luckily, it was my non-dominant shooting eye that was damaged. So all is good. Enjoy your retirement too!!!
Old 04-03-2019, 05:28 AM

Surprisingly they were not willing to give me any more time off. So, I'm going to stay with DPS until the right thing pops up. I'm glad this got me off my ass and I finally bought those 3 years. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you made the right decision ranger, hang in there brother! The right opportunity will come along, then it will make the decision a lot easier. There are many factors that come into play when considering retirement, and brad has it right about not knowing what life will bring tomorrow.

Brad - thanks for the friendship and the kind words! Sorry to hear about the vision accident, but glad it was the non-dominant eye that was affected.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-27-2019, 03:17 PM

Retired end of March. Been working 33 years for the Government and am taking some me time. Wife still working, debt free, plenty of investments, and have a young son. Now I am full time Dad, with plenty of home maintenance, photography, car rebuilding, reloading, shooting, etc to do. Also carry Colt Combat Commander (NP3, Novak’s, etc). Enjoying it so far.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR505 View Post
Retired end of March. Been working 33 years for the Government and am taking some me time. Wife still working, debt free, plenty of investments, and have a young son. Now I am full time Dad, with plenty of home maintenance, photography, car rebuilding, reloading, shooting, etc to do. Also carry Colt Combat Commander (NP3, Novak’s, etc). Enjoying it so far.
Congrats

Are you working on a 60-70s muscle car.?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
Congrats

Are you working on a 60-70s muscle car.?
Need to find one first I would like a 69-72 Challenger, GTX, or Road Runner. Hard to find and expensive. They were a dime a dozen in the late 70's....wish I had bought several back then!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR505 View Post
Need to find one first I would like a 69-72 Challenger, GTX, or Road Runner. Hard to find and expensive. They were a dime a dozen in the late 70's....wish I had bought several back then!
SWEET!

my Mopar fav has always been a GTX. good luck

there was a shop 30 minutes from where I live and when I would go to a shooting match.... he always had some cool Mopars sitting outside.

He still has a website but his shop moved.....so they are not out in the open when I drive by.

http://www.lucasmopars.net/