Smith & Wesson SW1911 Pro Series 3" Subcompact Review & Pics - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 PM

400 Rounds later and go to go no more ftf
Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 PM

I just purchased one new a few weeks ago and love it. 200 rounds fired. Mine fails to feed last round of magazine about 40% of the time. Tried a wilson combat magazine with same results. Actually, the Wilson Combat magazine is worse. When the next to last round is ejected, the last round will eject with it rather than load. I'll call Smith & Wesson customer service Monday.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:29 AM

I know this is a dead thread but over a year later and still no issues. Im just posting cause I have had my pistol about 3 years and love it and this thread still comes up with most searches about 3 inch pro series. Feeding / chambering is a common problem for the earlier pistols and is nothing but a short trip back to S&W or local gun smith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 AM

Well since it was bumped Ill chime in with an update... after several trips back to S&W I got sick of it and sold it last year. When it comes down to it with these large production plants quality comes down to how fresh the tools are when my parts came down the line. Out of all the S&W products I own, this was the only one that gave me a problem that could not be fixed by sending back. The new owner tore it down and fully customized it to his liking and is happy with it, just was not meant to be in my hands.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 AM

It appears to me that only Colt, with it's Series 90 Defender line has figured out how to make a 3" 1911 run reliably. I had a New Agent, and before I bought it I scoured the Internet looking for reports of issues with it. Would have taken me 12 seconds if I was looking for reported problems with a Kimber Ultra. I looked at literally hundreds of web pages, and found two reported issues, one caused by putting the recoil spring in backwards. That issue was since corrected by the spring change done via Colt recall.

Mine was as reliable as a Glock, ate anything I fed it without so much as a hiccup. Two friends of mine also had New Agent, and their experiences mirrored mine.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM

I have the Pro Series 3" by Lew Horton and have almost 1,000 rounds through it since March 2. No problems. As a matter of fact, it shoots as well as my DW CCO and just as accurate. I must have gotten a good one.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM

+1 on the GOOD one..not one single problem..about 450 rds down the pipe and I strap her on everyday for my EDC with no doubts..
COTEP #0561
Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
How is the spring installed on a brand new one straight from the factory?
The spring in my Lew Horton 3"pro series was install backwards from the factory. First time I took it to the range, it failed to return to battery after the first ten rounds. I turned the spring around and have fired it only another 40 times so far, but no more problems. I did notice that with the spring in backwards while working the slide, it felt a little sluggish. After turning the spring around, it felt like it should. I have sense cleaned and lubed it, but have not fired it again. I will likely do so soon, and I'll give a report on how things go. Other than that one little glitch, it is an awesome pistol.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 PM

I'll give an update to my post from above. Sent it in to S&W. it was returned after about three week. Runs perfect now.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Just bought one here the other day and have fired about 300 rounds through it with the spring in backwards. No problems whatsoever. I've got the spring in right now and will shoot another 50 through it in a bit. I'll post status as soon as I'm through. Love this pistol so far. Perfect size for my hand and perfect recoil etc. Love it.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM

I typed up the above post around 5:30 but forgot to post it. LOL Anyway, just got in from shooting about 38 more rounds through it and it ran fine. Just as good as it did with the spring in backwards. I'll run it some more this weekend but sofar, great!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:51 AM

Well I'll add my thoughts on the 3" Pro Series gun...

I bought one to replace my EDC gun, a S&W M&P 40c...

I love it, the only problem is,,, I found one of the new E-Series Commander size guns that fit my Bear Paws better than the 3" Pro Series gun... So it is no longer my EDC gun...

On both guns I added XS Big Dot sights and CT Laser grips...

I love both guns...

I did change to Wilson Combat ETM magazines though http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/inde...oducts_id=1120...

I was having the nose dive problem on my commander with the ACT mags that I had bought... I then started having the same thing happen with the Officer 3" gun...

I had bought the 8 round ACT mags and added the X-Grip magazine adapters http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/inde...roducts_id=974 to them to work in the officer size gun, but as I said I started having trouble with those nose diving...

I changed to Wilson Combat magazines that I had from another gun and the new ETM ones I bought, I now have not had any problems...

I also found that the X-Grip adapters will work with the Wilson magazines, I had to trim a little bit off of the front plastic part of the grip panel 1st, after that they slide in fine... X-Grip says that they will only work with ACT or Mec-Gar magazines, but I proved that wrong, you just need to modify the Wilson Combat mags a little...

You will se that I gave Greg Cote's website... I have had real good luck with him and dealing with him is real easy... I have found his prices are even cheaper than my dealer pricing at Midway and Brownells...

http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/

I have added Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Safety's to the guns also, these safety's are amazing and they work real good...

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ambidext...ctinfo/192BBP/

I have added a few photo's so you can see what the CT Grips look like, I love them...

Attached Thumbnails
S&W CM 1.jpg   S&W CM 3.jpg   S&W PS 45 2.jpg   S&W PS 45 11.jpg   S&W PS 45 12.jpg  

Last edited by DavidC77; 08-08-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:21 PM

Those are really nice!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 PM

I'm back with an update;
I took my pistol to the range a few weeks ago, and put 150 rounds through it. No problems. My wife fired it about 30 times, she too likes it. She might take it over and force me to get another piece...lol.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo54 View Post
Those are really nice!
Thanks, I have updated the Officer 1911...

My CT laser went bad, I returned it to Crimson Trace and they replaced it at no charge...

Trouble is I feel in love with the wood CT so I bought one of those for it ( I will be selling my new/old one ).

The shot also shows the Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Ambi Safety ( I love it )...

-Bullet-Proof-Blue/192BBP/

Here's a shot of the gun with the new CT on it...

Attached Thumbnails
S&W PS 45 13.jpg  

Last edited by DavidC77; 10-07-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Just picked mine up. Off to the range, well tomorrow. It will be my ccw just waiting on my Theis Holster.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 AM

That's a fine looking weapon Cfl. Be sure to let us know how she shoots.

And those beautiful, unusually figured grips...yum!

Rick
COTEP Member #CBOB0698

Last edited by Tango3; 12-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:24 PM

I love this little gun. Here's a target from today. Lower group from 10 yards 5 rounds top group 5 rounds 2 together 3 low under first group. Straight out of the range bag.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:24 PM

If you notice the avatar I also have a Lou Horton 3" I also have a E SC round but I have run Chip McCormick and Wilson and had problems with both the ACP's run fine. One of these days I will try some of the Tripp's I have heard good things about them. Both of mine will pitch a brass at my forehead every 2nd or 3rd mag. but that has almost stopped now so the ejector is getting wore in better now. I love the 3" it is more accurate than the Sc. I got a Girsan 5" to play with it is as accurate as the 3" and takes any mag. Of course I walk lop-sided when I carry it. I m not to large so I prefer small guns. I hate to say it but I got a Glock 30s and it is the most accurate gun I have. I put an external safety on it and carry it a lot. However I still love my 3".
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSky View Post
Heinie straight 8's are awesome. I put them on my carry gun as well. Highly recommend it. This is what my sight picture looks like.

Night sights? Glow in the dark?

If so, I might get those. The "dot the i" types are like what's on my Kahr....I've carried a Kahr since 2003 so it would be familiar.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:10 PM

Mag info

Could you please provide the model, SKU, item number; whatever you may refer to it as, for the mags you ordered from Tripp? Much thanks
Old 05-07-2015, 12:12 PM

Mag info please, ones u ordered from Tripp; SKU, model or item number, etc. thank you.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:44 PM

scposwret ......

I would get the 7R-45-RO from Tripp for the 3 inch PRO. I've got 5 of them and they work great.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:43 AM

Have now passed 3500 rounds in only a few months of ownership without a failure. Have been a 1911 fan since the early 1960s and can almost disassemble / assemble in my sleep. A quality product I've learned to trust. A bit more expensive than some, but worth the investment.