Remington 1911 R1 Problem - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 06:08 PM

Still Waiting

Now it's Dec. 2nd, and I'm still waiting for my new R1 to be repaired and returned. I've contacted Remington a couple of times and I get the same story... you'll just have to wait.

Since their "Platinum Warranty" boasts a 7 day turnaround on repairs and is valued at $79.00, I'm sure they'll send me a check for that amount when (and if) the piece is ever returned to me.

Extremely disappointed!... and MADDER by the day!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Wow, that's a long wait...

When I used their service earlier this year I got a very prompt response on my Model 597 22lr rifle.

My brother got a super fast response last year with his 870 shotgun.

Not sure what to tell you.... Have you tried calling the local sales rep?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 PM

I haven't tried locating a local Rep. yet, but I think it's a good idea. I'll try to find one on the net and call Monday.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 10:30 AM

I'm having my R1 sent back to Remington for failure to feed issues and had a similar experience with their customer service. I called them last Friday (waited on hold for about 20 mins) and the lady I spoke with said she would send a UPS overnight box with instructions for how to return the firearm for repairs. It's now Wednesday and no UPS box yet. I hope this isn't a signal of how the entire experience will go... but after reading the original post, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
I was looking for a new rem 700 in 300 wm until i seen the tv report....
Don't let that report bother you. I'd buy another remington 700 in a heart beat. But not another Chevy or GM product.(not this heatbeat of america)

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 AM

Problem resolved... finally!

I contacted the Florida Remington Rep. on Monday, and he personally looked into the problem. I received a new (different) R1 on Wednesday.

I expressed my concerns with their e-mail/call-in customer service and quality control. He was very helpful and apologetic and made no excuses.
Hopefully, he will make an effort to initiate changes in their customer service/quality control departments.

Anyway, thanks for listening.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:31 PM

I got my UPS mailer in today... only problem is the first lady I spoke with at customer service told me there would be a form to fill out which would explain the problems I'm having, this form was not included. I called customer service back (another 20 mins on hold) and the person I spoke with this time confirmed there was supposed to be a form. I was told to "write a letter" instead. I've got a feeling that this is going to turn into a big mess before all is said and done.

kbrock, did you get one of these forms when you mailed your R1 back to the factory? If so, what info did you have to provide? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 PM

No form was sent. I just received a reinforced envelope for mailing.

You might want to contact an area Rep., as I did. Heres a link:

http://www.remington.com/my-account/.../southern.aspx

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM

BTW, I took the R1 apart and cleaned it up tonight. It was pretty dirty... and way too much oil! Maybe they do that for rust protection. If you didn't do this with the first one you received, you probably should do it this time. It was the first time I've taken apart a 1911, but I followed the manual and it wasn't difficult.

It is a beautiful pistol. I hope they get their Customer Service issues fixed. The Rep. that helped me was great and helped to restore some confidence in Remington.

I'm ready to shoot it this weekend!

Once again, good luck!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the info, kbrock. The service rep gave me a timeline of about 2 weeks, saying they were really swamped right now. If they're too slow, I'll be calling my area's rep.

I'll post if I run into any problems and/or a review when I get my gun back.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:46 PM

Just got my R1 back today. The turnaround was much quicker than what I had expected and was told by the customer service rep. The repair document says that the gunsmith found the same problem I had reported, the slide stop was replaced, and the gun was tested.

Will post a range report hopefully tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Sorry your having problems. Any maker can make a lemon. It seems Remington has mad a few since the new R1911 is out. Glad they finally got you rolling again.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 AM

I also am having a problem with the safety lock and am told i need to send the gun back to the company............this was the 21st and it is now the 25th and i have yet to recevie the package to send it back and cant get in on their phone line as they want you to wait forever. I did however shoot the gun and before i purchased this one i shot one my friend has and i like it ina very positive way but very troubled by the problem and the trouble i have in co ntacting them.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 PM

I've had a R1 since Oct. 2010. Every bit as good as my Colt Combat Comm. Have shot at least 2K rounds; 600 in one 4 day period. Very reliable and a very fun gun to shoot. Definite recommended buy.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances R View Post
I've had a R1 since Oct. 2010. Every bit as good as my Colt Combat Comm. Have shot at least 2K rounds; 600 in one 4 day period. Very reliable and a very fun gun to shoot. Definite recommended buy.
My time frame and experience is the same as yours. I love mine.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 PM

I was looking at an R1 and the GSG 1911-22, but ended up buying a beautiful Ruger MK2 22/45. Now after reading of the headaches with the R1 and GSG, I am even happier that I went with the Ruger.

I think I may try to find a .22lr conversion kit that will work on my Taurus PT1911 instead of a dedicated 1911 in .22lr
Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 PM

this will be the second time i had to send my r1 back in. The first time they ground the front sight down and failed to recoat it with anything. So when i got it back the sight was already covered in rust. So i called them and they agreed to put the r1 enhanced sights on it for no cost. That was 2 weeks ago that i sent it in and no gun yet. So i called them and they said that i didnt send a letter with the gun and that i gave them the wrong contact info which sounded a little fishy to me because i had talked to them before i sent the gun back in and the lady on the phone repeated my number back to me 4 time throughout the conversaion. The letter with setting under the gun in the case that is originally came in. Now im going on 3 weeks and still no gun. Not impressed with remington or e-rpc will deff. not be buying anymore remingtons after this.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 PM

Had an issue with my new R1. Called Remington- customer service rep answered quickly and had me ship it back. Mailed me a prepaid envelope/mailer I had 2 days later. They did forget the form to fill out but just wrote a letter with my contact info on it anyway. No big deal. Gun was overnighted, they had it exactly 7 days and it will be delivered back to me today. Total time without the pistol- 9 days and shipping didnt cost a dime. So far extremely happy with Remington's CS and hoping they got the pistol fixed........have a few hundred rounds ready for some range time to test it out tomorrow-
Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 PM

Wow, what a thread! I have a brand new Para GI-LTC (that I never fired 1 round out of) on the way to Para to repair a hung hammer. I was looking at the Remington R1S today and was going back to purchase it tonight - Now I'm not so sure. Wonder of they've "de-bugged" them by now. Too bad some of you fellas didn't give an after action report.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
Wow, what a thread! I have a brand new Para GI-LTC (that I never fired 1 round out of) on the way to Para to repair a hung hammer. I was looking at the Remington R1S today and was going back to purchase it tonight - Now I'm not so sure. Wonder of they've "de-bugged" them by now. Too bad some of you fellas didn't give an after action report.
Look it over real good before you buy it. Check trigger pull, grip safety. If it doesn't look right or feel right don't buy it. I've been lucky with their customer service and factory repairs, others haven't.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy charlie View Post
Look it over real good before you buy it. Check trigger pull, grip safety. If it doesn't look right or feel right don't buy it. I've been lucky with their customer service and factory repairs, others haven't.
Thank you, I did what you recommended, and I didn't! Didn't buy the Rem. that is. Chose a great looking Ruger SR1911.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
Thank you, I did what you recommended, and I didn't! Didn't buy the Rem. that is. Chose a great looking Ruger SR1911.
Good Luck with your SR1911. I've owned two, the first had issues with how the slide was machined and was returned. The second seemed nice enough, but I sold it without ever firing it to fund a Remington R1S. I've been extremely pleased with the R1S, perhaps you'll be as fortunate with your new Ruger (I do like my P90).
Regards,
Greg
Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Sold my SR1911 too and forked up an R1 Enhanced. It is much better in all regards, except looks, than the Ruger. I despise the forward slide serations on any 1911.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Hey Reggie Dunlop, I have recently brought home a R1 Enhanced and really like the looks but was thinking about getting the Ruger SR 1911 also. Why did you not like it. I like the looks also and I thought they were supposed to be well made.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Z06 -
The front sight fell off at round 125.
and
It rattled incessantly after I had run about 500 rounds thru it. The grip safety was one of the sloppiest I've ever seen and the slide to frame fit was loose as a goose. If you touched it it rattled or clinked. I know 1911s do not need to be tight but I prefer it.
It was not as accurate as the R1E, but would still group 8 shots in a big cloverleaf from 10 yards firing offhand. With my R1E I can half that and consistently ping off spent 12 gauge hulls at that distance. The fiber optic sight does make a difference for me.