Remington 1911 R1 Problem - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Remington 1911 R1 Problem

I recently purchased the Remington R1 from a local gun shop. After waiting the required 3 days per Florida law, I picked up the piece which is packaged quite nicely in a bright green plastic case, complete with barrel bushing tool and two magazines.

I planned to disassemble and clean the pistol before heading off to the range, but noticed that the grip safety was not working... the trigger could be pulled without depressing the safety.

As it was Friday evening, I had to wait until Monday morning to call the 888 number provided for warranty service. I had to call three times, as the first two calls resulted in on-hold music for an extended period of time. On the third attempt, it was 21 minutes on hold before I spoke with a Rep. (yes, I timed it). He said they would fix the problem and would send me a UPS return postage label for shipping the gun to them. Hopefully, I'll receive the label today.

I must say, I'm a little concerned about the quality control for this firearm, as well as the customer service of the manufacturer.

It's a beautiful gun, and reasonably priced, but I may have made a mistake with this purchase. Oh well, live and learn!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 AM

PM sent..

"Land of the Free because of the Brave"
"IN GOD WE TRUST, ALL OTHERS WE MONITOR"
Life Member - NRA
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM

You could possibly return the R1 to your dealer and replace it with another (if one's available). However, my experience with Remington's custormer service was top notch. I had to send mine in for minor repairs (grip bushing). Sent in on Monday and I had it back on Wednesday of the same week.

Good luck with your piece as you will be satisfied once you begin shooting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 01:42 PM

I'm sure the dealer would have exchanged the R1, but had none in stock, so I thought it best to deal directly with the manufacturer.

I'm glad to hear that Remington treated you well, and am hoping they resolve this situation as quickly and professionally.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM

Remington Warranty service

Just the fact that Remington's picking up shipping both ways represent a fair chunk of change. I just shipped a gun into the Manufacturer's Warranty Service and had to pay the FedEx overnight ($77.00) I went to the LGS and they stated that it would be $30.00 + Shipping=~$50.00. My R1 has about 2500rds through it and it sweet. It's as accurate as my Custom SA. I actually left the factory grips on it. I normally go with Mil-Tac Diagonal G-10s.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Typical remington customer service for sure i've heard it before with other remington guns. I've read on other forums there trading there remingtons in on another brand of 1911. If i paid $700 for a remington i'd be rippin if i had problems. Heck i had two new colts and one new spring that had problems in the past too. Its beginning to be a crap shoot if we get a good 1911 at any cost?

Remington Arms never actually manufactured a 1911 in the first place it was a totally different company Remington Rand.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 10-28-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 PM

Remington Arms Co. WW1 veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Remington Arms never actually manufactured a 1911 in the first place it was a totally different company Remington Rand.
Well actuality Remington Arms Co. did produce about 20,000 1911 pistols for WWI. The largest manufacturer of model 1911s outside of Colt durring the Great War. FWIW
Remington rand the typewriter company made them for WWII, while remmy arms worked on ammo contracts.
You can find the new R1 cheaper, best $605 OTD ive spent lately. Mine has been great, shoots JHP all day long.
OP big green will take care of you.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
If i paid $700 for a remington...
I haven't seen the 700.00 model - I bought the 600.00 model when they first came out.

Is it new? The next generation?
Do you have a link with pics and specs?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Remmington is in trouble legally over there model 700. Its killed several people when they took the rifle off safety. Theres a bunch of lawsuites going on now over this and it could break remington.
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM

I bought the $550 model and had a minor grips screw bushing issue that I fixed myself. Other than that it is running fine.

My only experience with Remington service was good. That was several years ago on a 700 that had a barrel crown issue that should have never gotten out of the factory. Re-barreled, and returned very quickly looking like it never happened.

I have a few 1911's. The last two times I had to return a new 1911 to the factory for service... they were Colts, and prior to that a DW that even DW could not ever get to run.

I have others on both ends of the $$$ scale that have been shot extensively and never had an issue. On the cheap side, a Brazillain Springer Loaded... and the Remington... so far.
FLAWLESS... It's the new AWESOME!

Last edited by BloodyThumb; 10-29-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Spelling - clarification
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 AM

The problem with the remington 700's is if you have the safety on and touch the side of the trigger it can fire for some reason. The gun designer knew about this malfunction in his design and told remington exec's about it and how to fix it for just $.05 1/2 cents per rifle. The exec's at remington refused to spend that per rifle so now there in deep do do. Well beyond deep do do i guess. This problem is from 1947 till today they said but the news can blow things out of wack too as we know.

Remember the number one law on safety about guns;

The fact is never point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot.

Never ever trust the guns safety.

Treat the gun as if its loaded even when its unloaded. Its the unloaded ones that cause most accidents.

Never carry or transport the rifle chambered(when you can situations do vary)

Don't play with the safety by putting it on and off. Just put it off when your ready to shoot.

Never touch the trigger until its time to shoot.

Becareful were you keep your gun at night while you sleep. Make sure you need to get out of bed to get it.

Follow the gun handling safety rules all the time gun safety never sleeps.

I can't stress gun safety enough. I'm 60yo and still practicing gun safety every day 24/7. Sorry but i'm a PIA about gun safety.

Quote from the national timber fellers, Ask yourself is what i'm about to do safe????

Don't become a stastic.....practice good gun safety.

I have a '94 remington 700 in 338win mag and never had a problem with it yet. Do i trust it? Never trust a guns safety.

Sorry i thought the currect prices on the remington 1911 r1 was $700 list or close to it?

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 11-01-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 PM

I was looking for a new rem 700 in 300 wm until i seen the tv report....
Old 11-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
Remmington is in trouble legally over there model 700. Its killed several people when they took the rifle off safety. Theres a bunch of lawsuites going on now over this and it could break remington.
That problem should not be put on Remington as it comes from people that do not know what they are doing trying to adjust the trigger too light. Might work good while it is warm but when it cools off, the problem can be there. Happens when a person pulls the trigger and then pushes the safety off. Take your gun to a good gunsmith for any adjustments.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 AM

You better watch the tv program better. Jmo
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 AM

I wouldn't base my gun buying decisions on what MSNBC had to say about it. The 700 safety issue is old. It happens when someone adjusts the trigger below 3lbs which is unsafe for that design or the trigger system is worn or gunked up. What this hatchet job really is an attempt at back door gun control again. The anti's want to be able to sue the gun companies out of existance, they have lost on that front with the last court rulings. They never give up.

Check Remingtons response here http://www.remington700.tv/#/home

And from Field and Stream

October 22, 2010

Petzal: CNBC’s Remington 700 Trigger Coverage A Clean Miss

Editor’s Note: In light of the recent controversial CNBC program that deemed Remington Model 700 rifles unsafe, we asked Rifles Editor and Gun Nut blogger David E. Petzal to view the broadcast and offer his thoughts in this extended post. Petzal, a 54-year shooter, NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, former Army Drill Sergeant, and one the country’s foremost gun authorities, had this to say:

On October 20, CNBC ran a program entitled “Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation.” Claimed to be the result of 10 months’ of investigation by CNBC, it was narrated by a Senior Correspondent named Scott Cohn. The focus of the program was the trigger designed in the late 1940s for the Remington 721 (the predecessor to the 700) by Remington engineer Mike Walker. According to CNBC, the trigger was known to be defective almost from its inception; its design allegedly allows the rifle to be fired without the trigger being pulled. This has resulted, the program claimed, in thousands of complaints caused by accidental firings, as well as injuries and deaths.

Those are the bare bones. As I expected, “Remington Under Fire” was a hatchet job. The verdict is guilty from the get-go. No one from Remington would come on the program, nor would anyone from Cerberus, Remington’s parent company. This is not because they have something to hide, but because they know that if they appear on a program like this they will be made to look like liars or fools or both. If you’d like an example, consult any of the “documentaries” made by the lovely and talented Michael Moore.

Scott Cohn’s program exhibits an unsubtle mix of ignorance of the subject as well as serious journalistic deficiencies. First is the attitude toward guns as a whole. There were references to “safe” guns. Memo to Mr. Cohn: There is no such thing as a safe gun. Guns are inherently dangerous, and unless you handle them with care the results can be tragic. Everyone shown on the program who was killed or wounded by a 700 suffered because either they themselves or someone else pointed a 700 at them.

This is poignantly illustrated by the death of Gus Barber, a Montana boy who was shot by his mother Barbara in 2000. Mrs. Barber was unloading a 700 whose muzzle was pointed at a horse trailer. On the far side of the trailer was her son. The rifle went off; the bullet passed through the trailer; Gus Barber died. This was a terrible tragedy, and I am very sorry for the unbearable pain the Barbers suffered.

Rich Barber, Gus’ father, believes his son was killed because the rifle went off accidentally. In fact, Gus Barber died because a rifle was pointed at him. If the rifle had been pointed in a safe direction, all the Barbers would have gotten was a bad scare.

This kind of tragedy can happen to anyone, with any gun, if he or she ignores the prime directive of safe gun handling, put best by Jeff Cooper:

“Do not cover with the muzzle of a gun anything you do not wish to destroy.”

The CNBC program has a scene showing a Portland, Maine police sniper setting off a 700 by simply tapping the bolt. Incredibly, Mr. Cohn asks no questions at all about the rifle. Any journalist with even a modicum of gun knowledge would have dragged the department’s armorer on camera and asked this one simple question:

“Have you modified the trigger on this rifle?”

There is an interview with a West Coast range officer who states that 700s fire accidentally with such frequency that these incidents are called “Remington moments.” This is yet another example of more journalistic ignorance. If the rifles are so unreliable, why did Cohn not ask the gentlemen why they are allowed on the range?

In the course of the entire program, only one shooter is allowed camera time to say what a great gun the 700 is. One. There are 5 million Model 700s out there. Surely more than one person must like them. Could he possibly have found two people to say nice things?

It is mentioned that Remington has just been awarded a contract to build 3,000 more Model 700 sniper rifles, but that the Marines have had problems with accidental firing. I guess it was too much trouble to have someone explain that the 700 has been in continual service as a sniper rifle for more than 40 years, and that is has served with distinction under some of the most adverse conditions imaginable. Otherwise, why would the U.S. Government be buying 3,000 more? Are the Marines and the Army crazy?

Here’s what I can tell you about the Model 700 with the original, Walker-designed trigger (the new 700 trigger, the X-mark Pro, is a different design).

• I got my first 700, actually a Model 725, in .222, in 1960. There has never been a time since then when I have not owned at least one 700. I’ve never had an accidental firing with any of them, nor have I seen one, and we are talking hundreds of rifles and tens of thousands of rounds over 50 years.

• I’ve seen one 700 that should not have been handled. It was an ADL in 6mm that was made in the late 1960s. Its owner allowed a shooter who supposedly knew how to do so, to work on the trigger. He botched the job.

•And there we come to the crux of the matter. If the original 700 trigger has a fault, it is that it can be fooled with by anyone who has a small screwdriver. The adjustments are delicate, and if you don’t know how (or know enough) to keep sufficient engagement between the sear and the trigger connector, the rifle can slam fire, or fire when it’s dropped, or fire when the safety is flipped off. The same thing happens when you set the trigger pull lower than 3 pounds; it is not designed to function below that level, and there are some fools who love to take it down to 2 or 2 ½.

Right now I have an old 700 with a Walker trigger that has had over 5,000 rounds put through it with never a problem. But give me 5 minutes and a jeweler’s screwdriver and I can make it dangerous.

Enough. I eagerly await Mr. Cohn’s next program. I’m hoping it will be on why the public has so little confidence in news reporting.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 AM

I find it difficult to believe Michael Moore's stuff if viewed by so many. Hopefully, others have seen through his smoke and mirrors. He is a propogandist with an agenda in the worst kind of way. I haven't heard much of him lately, but then, my faith in mainstream journalism was lost long ago.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Not.

Are there legal issues pending? Sure - as with thousands of companies every day...

BUT - Remington was founded in 1816 by Eliphalet Remington in Ilion, New York, as E. Remington and Sons.
It is the oldest company in the United States which still makes its original product, and is the oldest continuously operating manufacturer in North America.
It is the only US company which produces both firearms and ammunition domestically, and is the largest US producer of shotguns and rifles.

They make a "dangerous product" - it's designed to be dangerous even when used and handled in the safest of manners - in fact, ESPECIALLY when handled in the safest of manners; that's its intent and sole purpose.
That product remains dangerous whether it's used safely and correctly for what it was designed for - aiming at something with intent to do severe harm... or used incorrectly without regard for standard firearm safety and firearm safety protocols.

The gun does NOT "go off" accidentally UNTOUCHED while in a safe, on a rack, sitting against the wall, in a gun case, etc, etc etc. It DOES go off when it's TOUCHED (and handled) properly AND TOUCHED (and handled) IMPROPLERLY.

There HAVE BEEN and WILL BE continued incidents of personal injury WHEN THE FIREARM IS IMPROPERLY HANDLED (loaded, aimed, pointed, handled in an unsafe manner) CONTRARY TO THE DIRECTIONS that EVERY gun manufacturer puts in the manual that is sold with the gun.
( hence the term "accidents" )

EVERY SINGLE ONE of these tragic accidents has been PREVENTABLE - but people who make the simplest of mistakes must find blame instead of taking responsibility.

as reported... The weapon in question has ACCUMULATED... "more than 75 lawsuits" while documenting "at least two dozen deaths and more than 100 injuries"

With "over five million rifles produced and billions of rounds fired over nearly five decades" - even though tragic, these are not statistics that will drive a company to ruin over litigation.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
You better watch the tv program better. Jmo

No thanks. Don't know that I have ever learned anything from TV. I would suggest that you get out from in front of yours and find out what is REALLY going on.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM

TALK ABOUT THREAD DRIFT! lol

Every hunting season there are about a dozen AD/ND and or deaths, with about a dozen different types of firearms. All makes, all models.

MUZZLE DISIPLINE PEOPLE!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Remington R1 Problems Continue

I started this thread, citing concerns with Remington's quality control and customer service.

As previously discussed, I sent my brand new, never fired R1 back to Remington because of a faulty grip safety. According to their Platinum Warranty, I was to have the gun back in my hands within 7
(I assume "business") days.

After waiting for two weeks with no communication of any kind from them, I called their customer service number today. I was told that the piece was in the repair shop, but needed a part that was on backorder before it could be repaired. I was given no timeline on the repair or any other options to resolve the matter (like an exchange?). The phone Rep. made no attempt to "make things right". Even a simple apology would have been nice!

I am amazed that Remington employees such impersonal Reps. to deal with their customers. I am amazed that Remington won't take the time or effort to communicate with customers when a problem arises. I am amazed that the best Remington can do to appease a customer is to tell him that the only option is to wait... and wait... and wait!

I've purchased many Remingtons in my lifetime, and still own several, but this experience has really soured me on the company. At this point i'd say it's unlikely I'd ever purchase from them or recommend one of their products again.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:48 AM

Kbrock, your experience is nothing like mine has been with the company.

Ask your dealer if they have the number for the local Remington rep and give him a call, more than likely he will have more success and more communication with you.

As to the part being not available at the moment, well, stuff happens, but they should be able to give you an approximate timeline.

As to making it right, when the time comes, ask them, if you want mags, ask for them, if you want ammo, ask for a voucher.

The only firearm I have had to ship back to remington for a problem was a 40xb. When it showed up, there was some serious discoloration of the stock as if some sort of solvent was left on the metal work and it ate at the finish in shipping. The stock was gorgeous otherwise, with really terrific figure in the wood, I asked for a refinish, and they said that was going to be hard because they were not sure what had eaten at the finish, and if it was in the wood, well, the same thing might happen. I was promised a new stock with as good or better wood, what showed up was as nice a piece of wood as I have ever seen, absolutely spectacular, and it was fitted as if the action and barrel had been planted in the tree and the wood allowed to grow around it.

Other guns sent back when I worked in the shop all were dealt with promptly and I only recall one needing a return visit out of maybe 200 that went back over a period of many years. That was a 1100 that a new bolt fitted, and for some reason, it would hang up.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:35 AM

Maybe a call to the supplier of the back ordered part would be in order. That issue is obviously not in Remington's control. And after all those good firearms, you'd not buy another because of this one instance?
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM

As a business owner, I understand that stuff happens. However, I also understand that if I don't contact the customer when stuff happens, I'm likely to lose that customer.

I'm also still not at ease with them sending out a firearm with a non-functional safety.

I'm glad some have had good experiences with Remington. Maybe in the end they will do right by me.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 AM

I don't know why they can't get that grip safety right

I had an R1 and traded it in. I had several qualms about it
besides the appearance of being a 'hackjob' gun with a weirdly sized slidestop that hangs over the frame and thumb safety that overlaps onto the rear tang- the grip safety was way far out to the rear of the gun creating these painfully sharp "shelves" where it should have melded to the frame. It was painful to shoot and I knew it wasn't unique to my gun as you can see it on virtually every picture of the r1. Who ok'd that design?? inside there were peening marks where the barrel feet were grinding against the frame resulting in pieces of the barrel feet being sheared off into the dust cover of the gun. It just looked badly done. It never jammed once but other than the nice finish and grips it didn't seem artful or crafted to me. The barrel feet and grip safety problem were just deal breakers to me. I sent a couple messages to customer service but only received their generic "your claim has been sent to the r1 dept and if you don't contact us again we will consider your problem resolved' or whatever.

I'm not a remington hater but this did't exactly make me super pumped to spend 600 bucks on a remington product.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 PM

I've had mixed experiences with Remington Cust Svc. The last one wasn't up to par.

I bought their 5-round AR magazine for hunting in OK. Oklahoma has a 7-round magazine limit for 22 cal centerfire rifles when hunting deer. Imagine my surprise when I had no problem putting 10-rounds into this magazine sold as a 5-rounder. Blatently defective product - sold as 5-rd, holds 10-rds. I paid more than double the price of the C-Products mag I ultimately bought to replace the Remington with. Had an OK game warden been the one to show this to me I would have been in deep kimchee. I didn't intend to hunt deer with the AR but wanted to stay in compliance with all regs for doing so just to be on the safe side as I was in the woods during deer season with an unfilled deer tag.

I contacted Rem, they said they would get back to me. Never did. Oh well.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by GregM; 11-14-2010 at 01:44 PM.