Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Administrator

More truth in reporting: "live" grenade found in a thrift store

Quote:
Live grenade found in dresser donated to thrift store

A live grenade was found in a dresser donated to a North Carolina thrift store. An employee noticed the explosive in one of the drawers after the furniture was donated to the Habitat for the Humanity ReStore in Durham on Saturday afternoon, according to a Facebook post from the store.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/li...6EC?li=BBnbcA1

Quote:
The store opened a few hours after the incident began, according to WTVD. The store was evacuated for 90 minutes, and the bomb squad determined that the grenade was inert.
So now inert grenades are considered live" and "explosive"???

Several years ago I was eating in a Wendy's restaurant when I noticed a brass shell case lying on the floor. I suddenly realized it had to have come from me and got trapped in my clothing somehow when I had been shooting at the range earlier. Now imagine if it had been found by the restaurant staff? I can imagine the headlines:

Quote:
Live ammunition round found in Wendy's restaurant, SWAT team evacuates building

A live and potentially explosive 9mm ammunition round was found in a Wendy's store this afternoon. Police cordoned off the area and arrested a short, white male with incriminating mayo on his face as he tried to leave the parking lot. Police found a huge arsenal of weapons in the trunk of his vehicle, consisting of two 9mm fully semi-automatic assault pistols, 10 rounds of ammunition (all he claimed he had left), a folding knife, NRA membership card and a very sharp pen. The police bomb squad investigated the round of ammunition inside the Wendy's restaurant and confirmed that it had been expended, but that somebody still could have cut themselves on the sharp edge of the case had they handled it improperly.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 12-09-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:22 PM

Stupid lefty media
Old 12-08-2019, 10:57 PM

I remember a news event some years back where a DC parking garage was evacuated due to shots fired. SWAT went in... they determined it was contractors working. FWIW, I hate when someone fires one of those Hilti sets right behind me. The %$#@s never give any warning...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 12:40 AM

Stupid media, and I used to use a hilti nail gun all day we used to have to yell fire in the hole. Funny my foreman actually shot me with a ricochet from one. I had to take a drug test. He on the other hand sat out in the parking lot drinking Jack's finest and wouldn't give me a drink. Jerk.

The second amendment is just a start. What's next? The First amendment? 3rd? 4th?
Old 12-09-2019, 07:39 AM

I’m known for yelling at the TV. I have not broken one yet, but darn close. The most nauseating thing for me is the intense over dramatic voices that you hear. The injection of “public outrage” (when it’s two people) and “this is a disastrous and far reaching event” (a grass fire that got out of control) is just ridiculous. They come up with these reporters that try their best to outdo one another with hokum.
I too dropped a rather loud 45 casing on the floor once. Those that saw it kept an eye out, but didn’t stampede for the door. Of course, this was way before all of these media frenzy shootings. I would bet, if they quit publicly covering these events, the shooting would stop. No more glory for the nuts! Kinda like these fools that used to run out on ball fields. Now they won’t show it on TV, so the idiots quit doing it. I think it’s time that we prosecute the media for the deaths associated with these events because they are giving the nuts glorification. No different that suing Remington or going after Juul for making e cigarettes.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Nitro. 45------------ 1st Amendment, Bro. Ya gotta take the good with the bad if you want to keep free speech.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:03 AM

Nice job on the Wendy's story, got a good chuckle out of that. You should've added that the spent casing can indeed be reloaded, thus making the situation even more dangerous had this fallen onto the wrong hands.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:38 AM

These media people are not stupid - their function is to frighten people with stories like this. And then introduce some politician who will lead you to safety. Oldest trick in the book. Our politicians have been doing it for at least two centuries now.

Last edited by drail; 12-09-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
Stupid lefty media
The left media doesn't have a monopoly on "Stupid".
Old 12-09-2019, 01:45 PM

But...

Quote:
The police bomb squad investigated the round of ammunition inside the Wendy's restaurant and confirmed that it had been expended, but that somebody still could have cut themselves on the sharp edge of the case had they handled it improperly.
Good thing they found that dangerous device... it could have resulted in someone getting cut and making a rush to the medicine cabinet for a band-aid.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:00 PM

This brings back a childhood memory for me. When I was probably about 10 years old, I went with my Dad to visit a friend. I was playing in the front yard, and I found a pineapple grenade in the grass, close to a drainage ditch. There was no arming lever or pin on the grenade. I remember picking it up and thinking it was kind of heavy.

I took it inside and showed it to my Dad and his friend. They were both WWII vets and looked it over. They deduced that since the lever and pin were already missing, it must be a dud. They both wondered where it might have come from, but just figured that someone must've had it as a souvenir and lost it somehow. They told me to be careful with it and not throw it at anything that it might break.

This was during the time when the TV show "Combat!" was on. It was my favorite show. I went back outside and used it to blow up several imaginary German machine gun nests.

In retrospect, it might've been wise to have it checked out. But, I think the attitudes that we had then vs. what would take place today are a sign of how times have changed, and not necessarily for the better.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
This brings back a childhood memory for me. When I was probably about 10 years old, I went with my Dad to visit a friend. I was playing in the front yard, and I found a pineapple grenade in the grass, close to a drainage ditch. There was no arming lever or pin on the grenade. I remember picking it up and thinking it was kind of heavy.

I took it inside and showed it to my Dad and his friend. They were both WWII vets and looked it over. They deduced that since the lever and pin were already missing, it must be a dud. They both wondered where it might have come from, but just figured that someone must've had it as a souvenir and lost it somehow. They told me to be careful with it and not throw it at anything that it might break.

This was during the time when the TV show "Combat!" was on. It was my favorite show. I went back outside and used it to blow up several imaginary German machine gun nests.

In retrospect, it might've been wise to have it checked out. But, I think the attitudes that we had then vs. what would take place today are a sign of how times have changed, and not necessarily for the better.
I'm in my 60's and I remember Combat TV series vividly. Vic Morrow and the other actors often had a cigarette lit (as was the custom on TV those days) and as a kid around 10 years old I decide to steal some of my dad's cigarettes and have one in my mouth lit while my buddies and I played army in a vacant lot. I just thought it made everything more realistic.

... and no, I never became a tobacco smoker.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condition_2 View Post
Nice job on the Wendy's story, got a good chuckle out of that. You should've added that the spent casing can indeed be reloaded, And then I would thus making the situation even more dangerous had this fallen onto the wrong hands.
A
Had I seen that I would have yelled “SHELL”! Then I would have dove on it to absorb the blast !’fun with idiots
Old 12-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Nitro. 45------------ 1st Amendment, Bro. Ya gotta take the good with the bad if you want to keep free speech.
I actually have an inert grenade that I use for a display. It was a dummy practice grenade used during the post-WW2 period and has a hole in the bottom to let people know it doesn't contain any explosives. I can understand people freaking out if they saw it, but for cryin' out loud never say it's a LIVE grenade in your news article because it clearly isn't. That isn't 1st Amendment rights... that's purposely making a false or misleading statement to shock readers and get their attention. Had the headline read "Dummy grenade found in thrift store" like it should have nobody would've bothered to click on it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 12-09-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:58 PM

Try to not shudder when you read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post

I was about 10, out in the woods by our house. Was jumping over a ditch and noticed something shaped like a bomb. It was about a foot long, with an aluminum nose and a wooded body. If there were ever fins they had gone away. I split the wooden body open with a hammer and chisel and found a cylinder of purple stuff connected to the nose by what I think was a (water-soaked) fuse. Then I applied my hammer and chisel to the nose but was unable to open it up anywhere. Don't know what happened to the remains.
Was I lucky or what!!!
Old 12-09-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
But...

Good thing they found that dangerous device... it could have resulted in someone getting cut and making a rush to the medicine cabinet for a band-aid.
Or, maybe some 90+ year old fossil carrying a scalding hot cup of joe could have slipped on it, and the hot coffee could have landed in their crotch rendering them temporarily impotent thus causing them to have to instigate a lawsuit against the fast food chain.

Wait a second, didn't something like that happen?
Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Gotta be careful with those inert grenades. Many a Branch Devidian died because they had those to sell at gun shows.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:37 PM

I'm still laughing about the Wendy's story.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
I was about 10, out in the woods by our house. Was jumping over a ditch and noticed something shaped like a bomb. It was about a foot long, with an aluminum nose and a wooded body. If there were ever fins they had gone away. I split the wooden body open with a hammer and chisel and found a cylinder of purple stuff connected to the nose by what I think was a (water-soaked) fuse. Then I applied my hammer and chisel to the nose but was unable to open it up anywhere. Don't know what happened to the remains.
Was I lucky or what!!!
Actually, if you check out YouTube videos of WW2 artifact hunters in Russia you'll see where a lot of them find land mines, live mortar rounds and grenades, and they don't seem to care as they casually dig them out of the ground and pile them up. In one video they found a German anti-tank mine in a bog that was so well-preserved that they were able to flip the arming switch on it. Again, no worries that it would blow up in their face.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
I'm in my 60's and I remember Combat TV series vividly.
If you liked that series, I see full episodes are on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2VH...o5C7KN&index=1
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Truth in reporting? HAH it's been a looong time.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I actually have an inert grenade that I use for a display. It was a dummy practice grenade used during the post-WW2 period and has a hole in the bottom to let people know it doesn't contain any explosives. I can understand people freaking out if they saw it, but for cryin' out loud never say it's a LIVE grenade in your news article because it clearly isn't. That isn't 1st Amendment rights... that's purposely making a false or misleading statement to shock readers and get their attention. Had the headline read "Dummy grenade found in thrift store" like it should have nobody would've bothered to click on it.
I get what Magman is saying, but this is exactly the problem. They are allowed to yell “fire” in the theatre with zero repercussions. Just as bad are the facts that are intentionally left out. Goes back to my plan of stripping these jerks of an issued journalism “license” if they are proven to simply falsify or fail to do their due diligence. Several networks would be shut down if I was the judge!!
Old 12-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/li...6EC?li=BBnbcA1

So now inert grenades are considered live" and "explosive"???

Several years ago I was eating in a Wendy's restaurant when I noticed a brass shell case lying on the floor. I suddenly realized it had to have come from me and got trapped in my clothing somehow when I had been shooting at the range earlier. Now imagine if it had been found by the restaurant staff? I can imagine the headlines:
That's a riot!
Old 12-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Actually, if you check out YouTube videos of WW2 artifact hunters in Russia you'll see where a lot of them find land mines, live mortar rounds and grenades, and they don't seem to care as they casually dig them out of the ground and pile them up. In one video they found a German anti-tank mine in a bog that was so well-preserved that they were able to flip the arming switch on it. Again, no worries that it would blow up in their face.
A ten-foot pole wouldn't be nearly enough for me!
Old 12-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
They have found an entire T34 tank in pristine condition in a bog and they were able to just start up the diesel engine with minimal restoration.

Those peat bogs in the northern latitudes preserve anything and everything. The chilled water has a neutral ph and the water is deprived of oxygen because the vegetation will decay to a certain point and use up all the oxygen.

They have found corpses fully preserved for thousands of years in those bogs.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/who...bog_watch.html