pouches hi power - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 03:17 PM

pouches hi power

I'm seeing some pouches marked Talon on the zipper.
What years would they be?
Old 11-19-2019, 04:49 PM

I have several vintage Hi Power Browning rugs. From what i understand, most of the brass zipper pouches were from about 1964 to about 1982 or so. The black zipper pouches, marked many YKK started around 1982.

I have brass zippered Hi Power rugs made by Talon and all have the Browning logo on the spine, the Conmar pouches have the Browning logo on the side panel, and the Scovil zippers have the Browning logo on the spine.

I dont know if they used one supplier for pouches at a time, where they could be dated or if Browning used multiple suppliers at the same time. I would think they used multiple supplier simultaneously.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Talon, YKK and probably the others are zipper brands.
It's possible that one pouch mfg used different zippers at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 12:11 AM

Sorry....no specific dates of production for pouches but

I think the sequence of zippers began with CONMAR...then SCOVILL...then TALON...all in heavy-duty brass....then YKK in black nylon (??) at the end.

BOTH CONMAR and SCOVILL heavy brass zippers were used during the primary 'T' series production runs.

The late-'69-/early-'70 'T' series came with the pouch that came with it from or gun shop where it was originally purchased back then. It has faint 'graining-effect' on the black leatherette exterior, the gold 'BROWNING' imprint on the side, with a CONMAR zipper.

I also have a pouch with the paper tag still attached (NO. BR9...MADE IN U.S.A.), with the serial number '..T245633..' (1968 ??) penned onto the paper tag that is exactly the same.

I also have a beat-up pouch with a SCOVILL zipper that is exactly the same as those with CONMAR
Old 11-24-2019, 05:31 AM

My 1993 Captain tangent has a YKK zipper and some butt head tore off the paper tab (I acquired it used).
Old 11-24-2019, 11:10 AM

The black nylon, YKK zipper came into use sometime in the late-'70's--1980...and remained the standard until they stopped issuing pouches with new pistols during the 1990's (when they replaced the 'pin-striped' cardboard outer box w/ fitted foam liner with the gray, hard-plastic case)...though the rest of the pouch remained pretty much the same as earlier ones with heavy brass zippers.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:52 PM

I have a 74C in near perfect condition that I would love to keep in one of these cases. Which one would be the right type for a 74? Anyone here have one to sell in excellent condition?
Old 11-24-2019, 02:15 PM

KDKSAIL, The tangents from the nineties must have been a clean out of existing parts as they dropped them from the line years earlier. Mine has a beautiful high polish finish and is marked with Browning info and no FN markings, perhaps because of the extra care taken with these pistols a rug was provided for protection. Unfortunately the fellow I received the pistol from Could not find the box or instructions, since I do not sell any of my acquisitions it did not dissuade me from the trade ( E G Makarov) as I truly love tangent sight pistols.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjb1911 View Post
I have a 74C in near perfect condition that I would love to keep in one of these cases. Which one would be the right type for a 74? Anyone here have one to sell in excellent condition?
A Hi Power pouch (approx. 10" x 7") with either the CONMAR, SCOVILL or TALON...heavy-duty, brass zipper and the '..Browning..' imprint in gold ink on the side... is what you're lookin' for. You can often find them (in varying conditions from like-new--to--less so) are usually available for sale on e-Bay and GunBroker. The buy prices may run in a range from $40-$50--to--$100 (depending on the bidding).
Old 11-24-2019, 04:11 PM

Thanks KDKSAIL.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
KDKSAIL, The tangents from the nineties must have been a clean out of existing parts as they dropped them from the line years earlier. Mine has a beautiful high polish finish and is marked with Browning info and no FN markings, perhaps because of the extra care taken with these pistols a rug was provided for protection. Unfortunately the fellow I received the pistol from Could not find the box or instructions, since I do not sell any of my acquisitions it did not dissuade me from the trade ( E G Makarov) as I truly love tangent sight pistols.
Ibmikey, I have a 1994 Capitan, like yours high blue polish. Although I dont agree on your comment about the MKIII Capitans being a clean out of existing parts.

I believe FN stopped manufacturing the tangent model in the late 1970s with some probably running over, then reintroduced the MKIII Capitan around 1993.

My MkIII Capitan has the firing pin block in the slide, which was introduced around 1988 or so. With that feature, I dont think the MKIII Capitans could be a clean out of earlier parts from the earlier manufactured tangents.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:58 PM

ToddSig, Good point, you quickly changed my guess on the reissue of a tangent pistol as a check of mine found the firing pin block to also be present. I doubt a slide would be reintroduced for milling the necessary cavern for the added parts...and then the high polish blue is an obvious deviation from offered finishes in 1993. Now my next question is did they make a special consecutive run or just grab frames at random? Mine is serialized: 245 NX 85017.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
ToddSig, Good point, you quickly changed my guess on the reissue of a tangent pistol as a check of mine found the firing pin block to also be present. I doubt a slide would be reintroduced for milling the necessary cavern for the added parts...and then the high polish blue is an obvious deviation from offered finishes in 1993. Now my next question is did they make a special consecutive run or just grab frames at random? Mine is serialized: 245 NX 85017.
Sorry OP for the hijacked thread.

My 1994 Capitan is 245NW82416. The production marks on the slide's firing pin block and the barrel are also for 1994, corresponding to the '94 serial number on the frame. With that I would guess they were manufactured and assembled annually based on quotas and orders. Hard to say with FN.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the Browning import marked MKIII Capitan's did not have the slotted backstrap (mine does not) while the FN and Browning SA marked Capitan's did , such as the later slotted FN Vector imports (but I am sure there are some exceptions).
Old 11-26-2019, 12:30 AM

Quite correct my Browning marked tangent does not have the stock cut, I have a Belgian Army issue that has the rear sight elevation ramp cut for a shoulder stock and of course it is slotted.
To keep the thread intact my Captain came in a YKK zippered pouch marked Browning on the side seam but is cheap compared to a pouch that has imitation fleece inside and issued with my T series pistol.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKSAIL View Post
A Hi Power pouch (approx. 10" x 7") with either the CONMAR, SCOVILL or TALON...heavy-duty, brass zipper and the '..Browning..' imprint in gold ink on the side... is what you're lookin' for. You can often find them (in varying conditions from like-new--to--less so) are usually available for sale on e-Bay and GunBroker. The buy prices may run in a range from $40-$50--to--$100 (depending on the bidding).
After researching these pouches and what they are selling for I'm thinking that maybe I don't need one after all.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:31 PM

It is a darn shame everything is being priced out of sight, I do not sell my firearms or accessories so I can say “It’s not my fault...man!)
Old 11-27-2019, 11:43 AM

I find it a little disturbing that sellers strip
the manuals and cases from hi power
pistols. I guess that is their perogative
Old 11-27-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimallen19$ View Post
pistols. I guess that is their prerogative
I suspect the accessories just become orphans when a pistol is sold without them. I have a number of cases and original accessories which I hope will stay with each gun at some future point.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimallen19$ View Post
pistols. I guess that is their perogative
As often as not, ancillary accessories like original manufacturers' boxes, owners manuals, etc. simply get put in a box at the bottom/back of a closet and forgotten, lost, misplaced, damaged or just tossed out by owners over time. So when older guns are sold/passed on (and on...and on...) perhaps like balladeers' "..old soldiers.."......."..they just fade away..".