Bought a Bench, Bought Another - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 11:16 PM

Bought a Bench, Bought Another

I was so pleased with the look and feel of my $99 Rural King workbench that I bemoaned not buying 2. Long story short, I found a stack of bench kits at Rural King this Sunday for $64.93 each...so NOW I bought 2. I wanted to see how long it would take to put one together without assistance (and since my wife wasnít home). About an hour for the frame. The drawers will likely take another 1/2 hour.

With the wood vise removed from both benches they fit nicely side by side. My powder shelf and portable drawer set didnít have to move.
Attached Thumbnails
B3F97FFC-D77C-4B1D-970B-C7FE519E2408.jpeg  
Old 12-03-2019, 11:23 PM

Very nice setup... Much better than my corner of the garage. It's gets a bit chilly this time of year.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer131 View Post
Very nice setup... Much better than my corner of the garage. It's gets a bit chilly this time of year.
Thanks...Iím blessed with a wife that insisted I take one of our empty bedrooms (at 65 finally an empty nester) and use it for my reloading/AR building. Truly a marvelous woman! She even made me buy 2 more benches to fill up the room a bit more, but I think 3 5í workbenches will be overkill. Iíd rather have some shelves or cabinets to hold powder and other components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 06:24 AM

No matter how big your bench is, you will find yourself wishing it was bigger.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz in Clayton, North Carolina. He WILL rip you off.
An armed society is a polite society--Robert Heinlein via The Guru
Old 12-04-2019, 07:10 AM

Now you are going to stare at that empty bench and start to figure how many more presses you need to buy!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:39 AM

I think benches are like gun safes... they don't stay empty for long and when they are sparse they cry out for "filler."
Old 12-04-2019, 12:41 PM

Good, you will need more room. Work/reloading benches, like tool boxes and tackle boxes, shrink with use. Unless one is diligent (like OCD diligent) there will soon be little open space on the new bench...
Old 12-05-2019, 01:01 AM

Finished the drawers. They are different on this table - metal, vs carved wood. Hard to say which I prefer, but helps to set the tables apart. The bottom shelf is also more rigid, but Iíll still add lateral supports underneath. Lithe artificial lighting makes the new table appear much darker...it isnít. But itís definitely empty. Gotta find something to clutter it up.
Attached Thumbnails
0AF435F2-14D6-4491-82AD-B85FA5F25658.jpeg  
Old 12-05-2019, 07:00 AM

Do you have them attached to the wall? Reason I ask is that I donít see any presses mounted. You will have to consider that....
Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Do you have them attached to the wall? Reason I ask is that I donít see any presses mounted. You will have to consider that....
I have a Hornady Quick Detach mount on the first bench, and my Hornady LNL Classic and Lyman All American 8 Turret presses are on their respective mounting plates sitting on the floor out of view. But youíre still right...the benches are not mounted to the wall. Thatís part of the plan, but I donít want to do that until Iím satisfied with the room layout. One of the reasons I loaded up the bottom shelf is to stabilize the bench for loading. It really made a huge difference just getting off of the portable WorkMate conversion and onto a real bench. It works beautifully for processing and loading handgun ammo. Iíll have to get it hard mounted before forming .300 AAC from 5.56 cases.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:02 AM

Better than a workmate for sure. Trust me....the minute you anchor that to the wall, you will be amazed at how much better things are. I played that game for way too long before I just built a 16í monster with 4x4ís and 2x6ís. Lag bolted it to the bowels of the house!
Old 12-06-2019, 09:12 AM

I too have a OCD for benches and reloading stuff in a spare bedroom. So after 40+ years of reloading there are 5 Dillons mounted on 24"X60" benches with plenty of drawers for storage. It does seem that it is an ever growing system.

One bench is located at a right angle to the wall and in the center of the room. The front side is clear for access to the drawers. The back side is where the presses are located. Works for me!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 12-06-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:47 AM

You have some great real estate there, Markr6754.

Expansive top surface as well as shelves & drawers. Excellent plan.

You are also in bidness, too....if extra stability is needed. You'd be able to easily bolt those to the wall studs.

Nice looking finish on them, too. Much, much more wife-friendly than what my bench will look like, lol.

Putting my bench together today, in fact.....taking a break at the moment waiting on the coffee maker to get a pot ready.

I'm doing so in a spare bedroom that was able to negotiate the space with my wife. My bench isn't even assembled yet and I can saw with absolute certainty that I already wish I had more space on it.

I'm planning on this being a temporary solution, though.

We've decided to move in the next few months...will begin house hunting soon. Wife & I both want to downsize now that son is wrapping up college and soon moving out.

We'd like a single story.....or at least only a single bonus room above the garage.

She said I can have a man-cave room. I'll do some built-ins or similar for my presses and gun bench. Gun safes, leather chairs, big screen television with surround sound. Gonna be a great place to load, read, hang out and she's invited in on movie watching times, lol.

Finally.....at age 51-ish Ill have some play room of my own.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:05 AM

My practice usually ends up being stuff cluttered all over the bench so my wife canít really judge how fugly it really is. Then again, itís usually her that puts stuff there. Anything random lying around the house will eventually find its way there!
Old 01-06-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
My practice usually ends up being stuff cluttered all over the bench so my wife canít really judge how fugly it really is. Then again, itís usually her that puts stuff there. Anything random lying around the house will eventually find its way there!
Old 01-07-2020, 07:21 AM

Reloading bench

I also have a room in my house for my gun safe and reloading equipment.

Years ago, a friend was remodeling his kitchen, so I asked him what he was going to do with his old kitchen floor and wall cabinets.....he said he was going to haul them to the dump.... I asked if I could have some, and he readily agreed, since it was less work for him!

I modified the base cabinets to sit lower by cutting them about 6 inches at the base so the doors would have about 1/2" of clearance from the hardwood floor.

I removed the formica counter tops, placed several cabinets together and used long wood screws to secure them. I purchase 3/4" exterior plywood, and cut it to overhang the top of the base cabinets about 4" in the front, then stained it with a mahogany color wood stain. Once I set it up in the room, I secured the cabinets to the wall studs so there was no movement when I was reloading......I think I spent less than $50 for the plywood and screws.....and I have now used this set up for about 15 years without issue....I use an adjustable office chair to sit in air conditioned comfort when I reload....I use the wall cabinets for storing primers on the shelves and other reloading stuff, and use the lower cabinets for storing brass and gun powder. The sliding drawers hold tools and various reloading die sets and other equipment. The middle reloading press in a STAR machine set up strictly for reloading .45acp. I set it up with a Pacific bushing system, rather than the older 00brass sliding powder bars....it works great, and is very easy to change a bushing for more or less powder charges..... The Star machine was my first progressive press, and I purchased it used for $800 around 1974....In 1974, Mike Dillon had not started marketing his Dillon machines.....The Dillon machines were very good progressive reloading machines and much less expensive compared to the Star machine. The success of Dillon machines and their marketing strategies put Star Machine works out of business, since a new Star machine was selling for roughly $1,200 dollars since it was more expensive to manufacture......
Attached Thumbnails
Reloading Bench.jpg  

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 01-07-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:28 AM

Ummm, yeah.....I wouldnít even get a participation ribbon competing with that!
Concrete floor and a bench that looks like it came from Mad Max is my entry!
One thing though, my presses will snap in half before the bench moves!
Old 01-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Bought this from Sam's Club a couple of years ago. It is all heavy steel with a really heavy butcher block top. It was under $200

We should be thankful to both
Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 AM

Somethingís missing!!
Old 01-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Somethingís missing!!
Hmmm......a clock? Calendar? Oh, you mean one of those thingamajiggys?

NRA Life Member
Old 01-08-2020, 12:25 PM

Dedicated room in the house now for 34 years. Only problem is that after all this time, the room is "growing" into the center of the space.

An understanding wife really helps us old guys have our "man room" uninhibited.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:53 PM

I did well for years with just my twelve foot bench.

It is not tied into the wall. But at +/- 500 LB. it is pretty stable. The top is 5/4" white Oak on top of two layers of 7/16" plywood. Six legs instead of four.

More recently I made a freestanding bench with drawers on both sides for gun maintenance, scope mounting etc. Some Brazilian cherry flooring left over from a house addition made for a nice top.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0012.jpg   IMG_0011.jpg  
Old 01-08-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
I too have a OCD for benches and reloading stuff in a spare bedroom. So after 40+ years of reloading there are 5 Dillons mounted on 24"X60" benches with plenty of drawers for storage. It does seem that it is an ever growing system.

One bench is located at a right angle to the wall and in the center of the room. The front side is clear for access to the drawers. The back side is where the presses are located. Works for me!

Smiles,
I believe you may need two more Dillonís. 😀

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Dedicated room in the house now for 34 years. Only problem is that after all this time, the room is "growing" into the center of the space.

An understanding wife really helps us old guys have our "man room" uninhibited.
A very understanding wife. I have one also. My reloading room is a 10 X 14 building outside, she visits me about 6 times a year, no questions asked.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Old 01-08-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
It is not tied into the wall. But at +/- 500 LB. it is pretty stable. The top is 5/4" white Oak on top of two layers of 7/16" plywood. Six legs instead of four.

More recently I made a freestanding bench with drawers on both sides for gun maintenance, scope mounting etc. Some Brazilian cherry flooring left over from a house addition made for a nice top.
You have a great deal of superfluous equipment cluttering up your space; canít you find another place to park your car? You have a nice setup.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1-A, 1968 - 1977