1911Forum banner

Plunger tube damage...how likely?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Nipperdog 
#1 ·
I was reading somewhere (I don't remember where) that one of the objections to the plunger tube being cast into the frame on the SR1911 is that in case of damage, it can't be replaced like a plunger tube on other 1911s, that are not integral to the frame, and are staked onto the frame. (Of course, one positive it that being cast into, or a part of, the frame it won't come loose.) So, I've been wondering, what kind of damage can occur, and has anyone ever experienced any damage to a plunger tube?

The only thing I can think of is if the pistol is dropped, or banged against something (would have to be awfully hard, I'd think) to dent in or damage the plunger tube.

If that happened, would the only option be to have the frame replaced? Or is this something that can be repaired (obviously at the factory) ?

#2 ·
Caspian has been offering the integral plunger tube for years. IF it gets damaged, the repair is to machine it off and drill for a conventional plunger tube.

I've been into 1911s since D-Day 2004, and have yet to see a dented plunger tube. However, I've seen plenty of lose plunger tubes, including one of mine from the factory.

YMMV, but I don't see the integral plunger tube as an issue.

Robert

#3 ·
Caspian has been offering the integral plunger tube for years. IF it gets damaged, the repair is to machine it off and drill for a conventional plunger tube.
That's a good fix.

I wasn't really worried about it...of course, if it can happen to anyone, it will happen to me. :dope: :grumble:

But, knowing Ruger, they will take care of it....if it ever does happen.

#5 ·
As stated above the odds of the plunger tube becoming damaged is highly remote. Since the tube is machined as part of the frame, I suppose that a suitably sized piece of drill rod tapped into the tube would displace the dent if it is not too severe. It is far more likely that a staked on plunger tube would become detached and reqiure re staking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.