1911Forum banner

RO Elite quality control question

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  OttoLoader 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I would like your opinion on this. Here it goes:
Just got my RO Elite Operator in the mail not long ago. The gun appears to be in full working order, but cosmetically it has a couple minor problems. On the safety cut-out of the slide there is a small gouge and a couple slight indentations, all finished-over from the factory. On the slide-stop there are some minor scratches.

I've been selling handguns in retail for quite a while now, and even on new firearms a price-point cheaper than my elite operator, like a CZ SP-01, I can't say I've seen flaws like these. Honestly, for a handgun the price of my RO I'd expect the finishing to be perceivably perfect.

However, I've never sold Springfield, so I'm not sure what their QC is like, nor do I know if the cut-out gouge & marks are merely common, QC-acceptable biproducts of their manufacturing techniques. The rest of the gun is fine (minus some material caught within the g10 grip material, but I haven't really picked away at that).

Do you fellas think it's worth trying to send it back on warranty to get a replacement? Or do you think this quality of finishing is typical of Springfield and the chance of getting one with the same flaws mine has is really common and acceptable?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Shouldn't have made it out the door of the factory that way, but these days that type of QC (or lack thereof) seems to be happening. (from multiple manufacturers)

At the very least, I would e-mail the pic of the slide stop to SA customer service and ask if they could send you a replacement. Shouldn't be a big deal for them to rectify.

Good Luck.

#9 ·
Level headed strait talk . 1911 Rocker

Hear is the deal . what you find bad . I may not . Its really your taste .
Me I would probably never see stuff like that or maybe I would . The point
is I'am not you and your nor me . If it bothers you call CS and send them
an Email see what they say . You should see the nick I put in my trigger
guard on my TGO . NP3 plating is not cheap . Needless to say the gun still
has the nick in it .

#3 ·
Hey guys, I would like your opinion on this. Here it goes:
Just got my RO Elite Operator in the mail not long ago. The gun appears to be in full working order, but cosmetically it has a couple minor problems. On the safety cut-out of the slide there is a small gouge and a couple slight indentations, all finished-over from the factory. On the slide-stop there are some minor scratches.
Do you fellas think it's worth trying to send it back on warranty to get a replacement? Or do you think this quality of finishing is typical of Springfield and the chance of getting one with the same flaws mine has is really common and acceptable?
Yes, I'd think it worthwhile to get S.A. to make it good.

The safety cut-out I'd find intolerable on an "entry-level" m1911. The finish flaw on the slide-stop ... well, it's not gonna stay flawless forever anyway. But together, yes. If S.A. gives you difficulty over it, I'd be shocked. And no S.A. fan-boy I (mixed results with S.A. products).

#4 · (Edited)
Honestly I would have probably never noticed the slide.

These threads show how many people have not worked in a factory. I have worked in manufacturing for a lot of years. Some of it in the auto industry. We done interior plastics there. Our inspection process was arms length for 3 seconds. If nothing popped out at ya it went in the box. Because ya ain't got day to stare at the product. And amount of product that is 100% inspected after production is less than 5%.

And in all seriousness if a scratch on slide stop upsets you, please do not look that close at your vehicle. You will not like what you find.

#5 ·
Honestly......I'd never notice those marks, nor would I consider it to be a defect if I did notice them.

If you ask me, it looks like you're picking the flysh!t outta the pepper.

#6 ·
I’ve owned several Springfield’s and haven’t seen issues like that. If they were able to blend the rear of the slide and frame instead of that god awful overhang, I’d be happy.

If you have to zoom in that close to see the dings, maybe they aren’t that bad. On the other hand, you spent good money and if you’re a dealer then the products you sell represent you as a business. If you’re not happy, send it back. Springfield has a good reputation for customer service.

#8 ·
I’ve owned several Springfield’s and haven’t seen issues like that. If they were able to blend the rear of the slide and frame instead of that god awful overhang, I’d be happy.

If you’re not happy, send it back. Springfield has a good reputation for customer service.
You know what SA would do to fix the "defects" you guys see????

They'll put a big ole chamfer on the edge the the TS notch to make those miniscule edge marks go away, so be careful what you ask for. New slide??? Not a chance.......and the "scratches" on the SS will be deemed as "acceptable". Sending it back for those things???? Not me.

I've said it a million times....the absolute worst job in the world would be a CS rep for a production 1911 shop. Putting up with requests to fix every little stinking mark on a frickin $500 1911...... I'd slit both my wrists before I'd take that job.

Not hating on the OP. I'm just not prone to fretting over this stuff.

#7 · (Edited)
Hmmm ... zooming in I see the cut-out doesn't appear to be actually mis-shaped; just chips / dings in the corners. But it doesn't look like what normal wear would cause ... so I'd at least consider any effect on re-sale value; and weigh that against the trouble it'll take to get S.A. to address it. Not so clear cut as only seeing the thumb-nail.

#10 ·
I do qc for a living in a machine shop. I have so for many years.

The only folks who know what gets through their QC is them. The only way to know how their QC is compared to any other 1911 company's QC would be them telling you and not lying. I don't see either happening.

If you dont like it, call them and have them take care of it. If they can't, live with it or sell or dont buy again. What ever floats your boat. Same with any firearm, vehicle basically anything.

#15 ·
I do qc for a living in a machine shop. I have so for many years....
My first job out of college was a QA Engineer. Fresh out of college and I had 15 inspectors working for me. All women.... LOL... Did that for 2 yrs.

Don't you love it when production makes crap, but QC gets all the grief for bad parts?? Gotta love it.

#13 · (Edited)
All from the guy that said this : I won’t buy a SA just because it’s ugly. - QUOTE

Interesting and what models are those ? The loaded models ,and the Custom
models Have always been very good , Some of the RO models and Emp's
in the beginning runs have have had some issues . Also like every manufacture
some things slip by , but I have seen nothing to back up your statement .

You name the manufacture that is perfect . It does not exist .

Colt is far from it . So is Wilson

#14 ·
I am always amazed that 1911 model pistols are as inexpensive as they are. At every price point. It would seem that a Glock could be made for $100-150 in manufacturing cost. 1911, not so much. Lots of machining operations to bring a 1911 to completion. And then all the parts, with tolerance stack, have to function perfectly. Every time. For almost forever.

I don’t worry too much about the small things. Depends on how it works. If it functions flawlessly, things are good. Maybe more accuracy can be achieved later (at a price). Then appearance/beauty. I am inclined to accept imperfections in less expensive 1911’s more than in the upper echelon 1911’s. Sometimes even those need tweaking too.

I have found Springfield Armory pistols to be fundamentally of good quality. Some have required tweaking. At a minimum, the ILS stuff, if there, has to go.

I am constantly amazed that one singular design can be the basis for bullseye, action shooting, ccw, home defense, military, hunting, plinking, etc.

You can make virtually any 1911 into anything you want. Depends on what you are going to have to go through to make it happen. Assuming that the holes are in spec. And the feed ramp is more or less stock.

This has to be the Golden Age of the 1911. 40 years ago, you had fewer options. The stock gun, new, may or may not have run. New. Now you can buy anything you want. At almost any price point. They all run.

I would shoot it. After a while you won’t notice the little things. If they bother you in 6 months, change it.

#16 ·
I am constantly amazed that one singular design can be the basis for bullseye, action shooting, ccw, home defense, military, hunting, plinking, etc.
Lots of firearms can do all those things and some do it better depending on who you talk to. I do find there's bias. There also ignorance and stupidity on both sides of the fence with any brand or type of firearm.

#17 ·
Wow, gentlemen, thank you! Lots to consider here. I've been taking it all in and there are several of you on both sides of the issue.

I live in Canada, so I don't know what dealing with Springfield directly would be like. I initially reached out to the company I bought from, and they are trying to contact the Canadian company that deals with Springfield warranty on this side of the border, Grech Outdoors. Unfortunately they've been closed for COVID, so who knows if they'll get back to me anytime soon. I was told that Springfield will not help me directly, so it looks like I'm at the mercy of Grech.

The idea of them chamfering the edges scares me. I'll just keep the thing if they'll butcher it like TRSOtto figures they could. But, maybe it would look nice :p

On the bright side, it has its own character, but that's optimism I may or may not actually believe. Lol time will tell.

#19 ·
I have always pondered machining a small groove there for the slide stop install. Then the scratch would be a nonissue.

#20 ·
Bricks
My experience with SA was with a stainless loaded .45 ACP. Manufactured in 2014.
The problem was with the serial number. It was not deep enough for ATF requirements. Two numerals were difficult to read once the laser etching wore . Easy to read when new but not with use.
SA in IL customer service rep said shoot it about 300 rounds make a list of anything they should check out too. SA practice at the time was to completely disassemble and inspect repair as part of warranty but be sure to point out your observations.
The manual safety engaged fully but was too easy to disengage. So I mentioned that.

SA emailed the fed ex label.

It took about two weeks turn around.

The frame has perfect numbers and finish. This is a stainless model so no coating.
The safety was fine but they put in a new plunger tube. But that may have been done to resurface the frame.

I would talk with the CS rep. Also keep track of round count and make a note of any observations.

As covid is complicating things and if functioning I would hold off sending it in but definitely call them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.