1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armed protestors enter Michigan capital and demand end to lockdown

26K views 452 replies 72 participants last post by  RetiredRod 
#1 ·
#56 ·
Yes...yes we should.

The MSM's message is "Cower before the law!" and "Be legal at all times! Our leaders decree it!"

I think gun owners are finally starting to figure out that the FFL system, any sort of licensing, and concealed carry permits are BAD things and only serve government interest.

#7 ·
Maybe I am missing something here. Pro gun people who were dressed similarly held a protest in VA and most everyone here supported them. I don't recall many post saying they were hurting the pro gun cause. These people are peacefully and legally protesting their rights just like the people in VA did. Maybe if there was a whole lot more of these protest a few more politicians would pay attention.

They are protesting for a different but still important right and they are wearing mask which was frowned upon in VA but they may not all be basement dwelling mall ninjas playing dress up. That kind of sounds like something the Don Lemon crowd would say.

#8 ·
No don lemon fan here. But as one who fully supported the 2A event, this event had isn’t 2A related.

Constitutionally related?, ok. But I stand by my statement. Further, despite repeated requests to dress ‘appropriately’ at the 2A rally by the organizers, many of the out of breath, chunky monkey wannabes couldn’t resist an occasion to play dress up, nor respect the wishes of the organizers.

No different in my mind to many other professional protesters, just look at the ‘traveling Bundy circus’ hangers on.....

None of them do the rest of us much if any good.

#65 ·
BLUF: If its Constitutionally related and valid, we should be supporting it- regardless of the outliers that go overboard. We can address how to put the best foot forward at such denominations, but the principal is sound.

What's sad is that the membership here seems to limit their suppo of the Constitution to the 2A only. Crush other Constitutionality enumerated rights- and all sorts of excuses and justification comes out. The arguments are exactly the same as the pro/anti 2A debate; the only difference is the # of the Amendment....

#9 ·
I am in no way a Don Lemon guy, a liberal or a democrat. I posted the same sentiment on the Va march. Half of this country hates guns, they don't understand why anyone would need one, and see us as a bunch of irresponsible ********. These goofballs playing dress up and carrying AR rifles with chest packs and tactical gear only because they "can" just confirms this.

Ever see a "gay pride" parade in a big city? Bunch of lunatics dressed as the opposite sex in short shorts bobby socks and carrying 6 foot long foam penises down the street. It's ridiculous and a bad representation of the group as a whole.

Gentlemen own guns. Sportsmen own guns. Mothers and grandmothers own guns. But what we see and what everyone sees as the "gun owner" in America are these knuckleheads trying to prove a point in the wrong way.

#20 · (Edited)
Jos. A. Bank

Its too bad that the mothers, grandmothers and gentlemen aren't willing to get out and protest like the "knuckleheads". If these same guys would show up in a nice single-breasted suit or Khakis and Polos WITH an AR-15 would it make a difference?? I mean, is it just the Mossy Oak outfits and matching caps that make em look ignorant...or is it the rifle?

Perhaps if someone one instructed them to "dress as if you're appearing in court as a defendant". :D

#10 ·
As a Michigander, I am appalled that those morons chose to come to this protest armed. Especially those in tactical vests and AR platform rifles. The flippin protest was supposed to be all about our idiot Governor and the ridiculous stay at home order, with the goal of opening up the State to get business rolling again.

#12 ·
I am a citizen of Michigan and have been reluctant to comment on this situation. This protest was in no way related to the 2A. With that being said it WAS related to the Constitution. Which does include ALL of the Constitution. I really wasn't thrilled by seeing all these people in their tactical gear. Did they have the right? Bet your ass they did. Were they breaking any laws? No they weren't. I'm thinking that these individuals thought it would be more "news worthy" by doing this. All involved were peacefully protesting. I just think that they could have toned down the tactical gear thing and still could have made their point. I really don't think they needed to wear all that gear to make their point. I've also read a lot of posts in other places of how if they were black they all would have been arrested and/or shot. Which I DON'T agree with. But I do agree it does put a negative picture upon the 2A crowd. Especially the way the media loves to protray us all. Just look at how they covered the first protest with most everyone in their vehicles.

#16 ·
No, and that thinking is part of the problem.

Inability to stay on topic, and not dress up like the morons is a pretty basic thought process.

Argue the issue. That behavior is legal. They were within their rights. Including their rights to act like morons.

It wasn’t breaking any rules......except those concerning maturity, IQ, and common sense.

#17 ·
Do these guys know that if they'd just join the military, they could dress like that for real every day? Plus, good ole Uncle Sam would pay for all their duds, weapons, ammo and MREs. I think they're missing out on a real opportunity to play Rambo for real. Ole Uncle Sam would be more than willing to put them in places where they can shoot at real bad guys. Of course the bad guys shoot back, which can be a drag. But they do get all the free stuff anyway.

#69 · (Edited)
Best post of the thread IMO...The pic didn't copy over, but it is post #18 with a patriot carrying a firearm and holding his child's hand and looking at the child in an attentive manner. Humanizes Gun-Owners - good to counter the Lefty Propaganda which 24X7 tries to de-humanize gun owners.

Please post the pic here again if you can Quasi, it is a reminder of who we are, and the 2A legacy we want for our kids...I'd be proud to walk next to that man with his son any time any where (camo-jacket or not LOL).

#27 ·
I guess I was going back to the comment about about the Virginia organizers asking folks not to dress like soldiers. I totally agree you shouldn't bring a weapon to a protest regarding forced-sheltering, but brandishing a rifle at a 2A rally is sort of the point.

#23 ·
I was brought up to believe that brandishing weapons like that is only for making threats. Showing up with guns just to argue with your representatives about something not directly related to guns is very irresponsible in my book, unless you're threatening to use said weapons if you don't get what you want.

If you don't see a problem with that, then bring your AR with you the next time you decide to argue with your neighbor about his barking dog and see what happens. Same thing as far as I'm concerned.

#119 ·
Bravo! You are 100% exactly correct. We will not always have a gun friendly congress. When that changes, these people are just adding fuel to the anti-gun fear, and stroking the anti-gun sentiment that will result in gun bans. What next? They taking their AR rifles down to the ballpark to protest a referee ruling at their kids t-ball game? By doing this they are showing the public a lot of people dont have the sense to own an AR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Some people love suits and driving Ferraris, others like pick up trucks and military gear. I am not going to dump on anyone that took the time and made the effort to come out and support all or any part of the Constitution. Maybe the ones with guns felt there was a link, or wanted to make the link themselves to put a light on gun issues. Whatever their thoughts, I'm not going to turn up my nose at anyone who showed up. The folks in tactical gear are fine with me. They've stood beside us many times. They have my respect and support.

#25 ·
The big difference here is.

That the people in Michigan were all boiled up about things put into place to protect us all from a highly lethal pandemic. Not things that were put into place that would curtail the right to keep and bear arms.

In contrast the demonstrations in Richmond VA on lobby day this year were completely different. These demonstrators, (myself amongst them) were there for a completely different reason. This being that the right to keep and bear arms itself was coming under fire. Thus it being entirely the time and place to do so. This being to show up armed. Totally different sets of circumstances calling for entirely different responses.

Some people just do not get it. If you wish to send a message, by all means do so. But it is important to keep things within the proper context. Getting all militant about your right to get sick and cause others to get sick as well. Let it suffice to say that this says a lot about you, but nothing good.

#311 ·
That the people in Michigan were all boiled up about things put into place to protect us all from a highly lethal pandemic. Not things that were put into place that would curtail the right to keep and bear arms.

<snip>
WRONG. 3% crude mortality rate is not "highly lethal". God I cant believe I originally missed your post. This is NOT about "protect[ing] us". This is about CONTROL. This is the largest government experiment ever carried out on the citizens of our country...its your 30-day free trial of Communism. The seasonal flu killed 60,000 people last year...they didnt shut the country down. If they were truly concerned about saving lives, the speed limits on every major highway in every state would be 25 miles an hour because fatal traffic accidents kill 30,000 people each year. They have known about the opioid epidemic for years, and havent gone after big pharma.

Wake up, man...this isnt about protecting you.

#26 ·
The way I look at it, those that were armed were exercising their 1st & 2nd Amendment Rights at the same time.

In all probability, they might well be the reason that the protest stayed Peaceful.

And, given the proclivities of the Michigan Governor, it's not surprising that she continues to ignore the Protesters and Dictate nonsensical Executive Orders.

#28 ·
I can only speak for myself, the problem I had with the governor and her stay at home rules made no sense at all to me. During all this time I went to a local store that sells country items. Kind of like a Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply store. Was able to purchase more than enough ammo to last me for awhile. All be it only 4-50 round boxes of any cal. at a time but when these protests started we were NOT allowed to go to the same store and buy garden seeds for crying out loud. Couldn't buy lumber, clothing, landscaping materials of any kind. So, for me, if I can go to the local dispensary and get all the weed I want and the local liquor store and fill up on all the beer, wine and booze I want, what sense does it make that I can't buy seeds to plant my garden? For crying out loud we weren't even allowed to hop in a boat if it had a gas motor to do a little fishing EVEN if our backyard was the lake! There were other things that we weren't able to do as well but I'm starting to get a bit hot under the collar right now and don't really have the strength to list them all. Although some restrictions have just recently been lifted I don't think we are close to the point where everything should be open. We are getting there but not just yet. Time to learn some patience and try to find the best in these times. For instance, a new member of my family was introduced to us 7lbs 20" at a time on April 2nd. That's what I'm trying to concentrate on. Hopefully I will be able to visit her without fear of breaking some kind of "rule" very soon. Please be safe and careful everyone.

#29 ·
You also have to be aware of the possibility that the anti-gun people are going to hire shills to put on army fatigues and stir things up.

This happened here in CA.
They had "Protests" that were heavily cast with shills who where conducting street races and other dangerous activities,
as a manufactured comment on the "type of people who would protest",
and how "dangerous and foolish they all are".

And, sure enough, social media had a bunch of memes that next day depicting protesters as misguided.

It's funny how every tactic in play has an exact Contitutional provision,
denouncing it as illegal.
The founding fathers sure knew what they were doing.
I miss those guys.

#30 · (Edited)
They did the right thing by protesting...These lock-downs may have had there place but it is time to lift them in places it makes sense...Keeping the economy closed is a clear and present danger to our economy and our freedom's. Moreover, it will facilitate the slide into Socialize which has already gone too far in our country and the world.

If one is at high risk, stay home for now, wear a mask and gloves when out in public, consider it a very extended flue season. That is exactly what I intend to do for the foreseeable future as over 60 and on chemo. I wouldn't expect the country to be destroyed on my account and not sure why anyone else would expect it on their account either...

There are very simple ways to combat this to protect the vulnerable which don't take people's rights away or destroy the economy: Like fortifying the practices and standards at nursing homes (40+% of the CV9 deaths), and doing things to give the "vulnerable" easy and safer access to food and other basic human needs, like a freaking "Senior" hour in the AM. Even places like shooting ranges should have a senior hour. Be creative, this is not rocket science, 4th major pandemic in USA in last 100 years.

Luckily, I shoot at an expansive outdoor range, and 2 weeks after it is open (let the mass back-log go through) I'll be shooting without my mask :).

Whether people should go arm to this protest is debatable. In the past I would say no, but these days, I'm more inclined to say yes. It is important for people outside our community to know 2A is a right on par with any C-right. And that all these C-rights support each other and all of them are needed for the Constitution to be self-sustaining. (They are all connected).

#31 ·
I’m sure we have all seen the way some people dress up for a college or NFL football game.
Body paint, bare chested in 0 degree weather etc, some pretty crazy stuff; you get my point. I wouldnt go to a game that way, but I’m also not going to say they cant or shouldn’t if its within the law. This Michigan Governor is clearly getting carried away with the power “high” she’s been enjoying at the people’s expense. The people pushed back.

#33 ·
Nobody is questioning whether it's legal or within their rights. The question is whether it is smart.

#32 ·
I was thinking about this, after my post last night, & came up with the same analogy that dsk posted this morning:

It's like if an angry neighbor comes to my home carrying a rifle.

At that point I don't care if his Parking Space beef is valid or not. And I don't give a rat's butt if he's Multi-Tasking supporting the 2A while also confronting me, armed and dressed like a commando.

He has now escalated a parking disagreement into an implied deadly threat.

Thus I would be entirely justified in drawing on him & holding him at gunpoint until the police arrived.

And the responding officers would also not give a damn about his parking beef either, legitimate or not.

His complaints would fall on deaf ears. Later, the judge would also ignore the parking issue.

#37 ·
In Atlanta there were a couple dudes with flags & signs standing on the median yelling stuff.

I initially dismissed them as "The End Is Near" or "Save The Porcupines" type kooks.

But as I drove closer I saw they had AR's and were Open Carry / 2A guys.

The motorists who were not ignoring them altogether, were either honking in support or giving them the finger.

Clearly they were not creating any new supporters.

Give me a Pro 2A Million-Man march on Washington. With every single one of those million people dressed normally & respectfully. No signs, no chanting, no guns, no NRA patches, none of that stuff.

Just regular men & women in mass support of the 2A with zero nutcase factor. They show up on time, make some reasonable speeches, pick up their litter, then disburse without conflict.

Normalize the issue. Show us as most of us are: Sane & rational. Nobody wants to listen to you if you are acting the fool. Your points are lost if you are perceived as nutty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.