1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone else noticing the growing divide between Governors and the POTUS

13K views 214 replies 41 participants last post by  Grandpas50AE 
#1 ·
I think POTUS kinda spoke off the cuff the other day when he said he is the one who will decide when and where to reopen as well as what to do. Not sure on the legal beagle aspects of who’s actually in charge.
But what I did notice was several governors including a couple republicans saying POTUS doesn’t make that decision they do.

So just curious what happens when POTUS says ‘we are open for business!’ and some governors say ‘not so fast!’?
Anyone think democratic governors like the ones for NY and MI will go along with him when he does make the decision or for their own spoiled reasons say they aren’t ready yet?
It may never happen and I’m just thinking out loud here. But as much as they dislike him they may want to prolong this as long as possible for obvious reasons.
Heck they are even floating the idea that the presidential debates should be via video and not live due to fears of virus when we all know it’s because Biden can’t get two sentences together and if he gets on stage with Trump he’ll get eaten alive.
You could have a conflict between the POTUS and the governors where he ‘opened shop’ weeks ago and some states are still locked down. Who’s gonna side with who? Who’s gonna obey who? The re-opening of America could get real interesting.

See less See more
#2 ·
That divide has been growing over time. But Trump really stepped in it big time when he claimed to have "Total Authority" over the states and their governor's. That was a truly ignorant thing for anyone to say, much less the pOTUS.

And then he backpedaled, claiming that he "authorized" the governor's of each state to open when they saw fit. Sorry buddy.....you can't authorize what you don't have the authority to authorize.

Damn that pesky little 10th Amendment.

#4 ·
Lets be real. The lib governors are playing nice with potus to secure all the federal money they can get their hands on. But lets not kid ourselves, at whatever their right time is, they and the media will resume their criticism and hate for Trump (not that it ever stopped).
Trump was not wise to state it was His call alone.

#6 · (Edited)
Which in my view, shouldn't have to happen. States should receive Federal Monies based on needs alone. That pOTUS does or doesn't like certain governor's shouldn't mean squat. Anyone is free to criticize pOTUS or any other elected official. Is pOTUS so thin skinned that he takes criticism to heart and his revenge is skipping over the states governed by libs and doleing out favors to states governed by Repubs?? Gee....how childish can the leader of the Free World get?. Does he not realize there are supporters of his in all states?

#5 ·
Federalists vs. Anti-federalists started before the ink was dry on the constitution.

Intrastate state commerce should be a states rights issue. Interstate/international commerce falls under the Federal Government.

The honeymoon is over, people are getting their payouts, the next two week is going to be very interesting! The first 10 amendments are the results of the first American Revolution. The Second Revolution is about to start for the same reasons!

But what should I know? Never stayed in a fancy hotel!

Smiles,

#8 · (Edited)
The issue is a whole-lot of nothing (this time around)...POTUS and the Gov's will either work together, or at the very least, give the impression of working together. They all know as politicians they don't want to stray too far from what the CDC advises. Straying too far from the CDC advise will pose too much political risk if something goes wrong. And the CDC is under the executive branch.

Of course the media will blow everyone words out of proportion and try to bait both sides whenever they can. Last week they baited Cuomo, but later Cuoma backed off on his heavy push-back.

If thing go well all participants can take a bow, pres and gov's, there will be plenty of acolaids (spelling ;-)???) to go around. Trump has already softened his tone also, and he is smart to do so in case things do not go well. Why take all the blame if things do not go well. As matter of fact, Trump may have been baiting the Gov's when he initially came out strong on this. Baiting them (Gov's) to go on record as being the responsible party. (This would not be the first time he used this tactic). This is the difference of playing "Chess vs Checker's".

And guess what, the only "important" person who can't take any credit if things go well is Sleepy-Joe. -Get the picture!

Important to watch POTUS press-conference this afternoon, he is rolling out the plan (he spent a lot of time with CCalls with all the Governors over last few days).

#199 ·
If thing go well all participants can take a bow, pres and gov's, there will be plenty of acolaids (spelling ;-)???) to go around.

I wish I had the extra cash right now to start up a trophy/plaque shop. All the trophies and awards that are going to be given out to all of the "Government defined heros" will be astounding. I call them Government defined heros because the government decided who gets to still work and who can't (who gets to be the hero). I bet that if the government had left open the nail salons, hair salons, department stores, waiters and waitresses, etc, that those people would have kept working.

#9 · (Edited)
Trump does have a loose tongue. Speaks imprecisely....and please reduce the twitters.

That being said. Garbage politicians/governors....90% are reeking piles of crap. Cuomo DEMANDING 40,000 ventilators...right.

Same people who for decades never prepared for this day. Same people who let production of all essential goods/essential components to be moved offshore/controlled by foreign countries. Feds had to sign off on many of the sales of essential industries/companies to overseas owners....have you heard of the asshats saying NO...even once? Smithfield Foods...40% of US pig production/processing /distribuition....Dummy Obama OK's the sale to the Chinese. They weren't after the pig meat they were after the Heparin (blood thinner) extracted from the pigs intestine. Flash...the Chinese control 90% the drugs/pharmaceuticals we rely on every day...as well as the consumables such as PPEs and subject of Cuomo's theatrics...ventilators.

But Trump is supposed to wave a magic wand and this stuff will magically appear....maybe the same magic wand we heard Obama talk about when he said production will never move back to the US or how we can never drill our way out of high fuel prices....and all the other minstrel show BS that spilled out of his vacant head.

I prefer Trump's imprecise language to Obama's well crafted fabrications. Trump can get things done. Obama and the rest of the politician/media traitors just want us to stay asleep....better a distracted victim than self reliant, successful and strong.....and what the hell...the Dems/politicians/media can give us lip service about how concerned they are about the body count.

#10 ·
The President doesn't have "Total Authority", but neither do the Governors. Most of them are acting as if their state legislatures, senates, and assemblies don't exist, and are operating with executive fiat.

Hopefully after the dust settles there will be a serious discussion in this country about returning to sanity, but I am not holding my breath.

#12 ·
This is just a hunch, but I have to wonder if President Trump didn't make that statement with the following in mind.

If the re-opening for business and spooling up the economy goes well, President Trump canl say "See! I was right to tell the Governors to open up their economies again."

And if it goes wrong, President Trump can say "Well, the Power was the Governors, it's not MY responsibility it went wrong."

It pays to remember that with President Trump:

He's a salesman, and has been a salesman for decades.

He knows how to play Politicians, Burrocrats and Union Reps in order to get what he wants. He knows how corrupt and in many cases inept they are.

And... He's a New Yorker.

I have a Range Buddy that I've been close friends with for a couple of decades now.

He was born and raised in Queens NY.

He is a transplanted, New York, Italian (1st Generation American) ******* Kansan.

I keep expecting to hear my buddy's frequent refrains come rolling out of Trumps Mouth and quite frankly, have been extremely impressed that we haven't heard "F*** You, Talk To My Attorney!" or some variation thereof.

Another phrase I've fully expected to hear when Trump is frustrated with the dumb masses that are the media, and a great number of the Politicians is "The dopey ignorant moronic mother-******* are so stupid they wouldn't know how to pour p*** out of a boot if the directions were written on the heel."

That we haven't is, quite frankly in my opinion, testimony to President Trump actually knowing when to hold em, fold em, bluff em and call em.

"Them The Government" have been underestimating him ever since he started his Presidential bid, and typically he's been two steps ahead of both the Burrocrats and the Lame Stream Media.

Which is largely why the Ctrl-Left has been having a hissy fit with a crocheted tail and pink eyebrows ever since their flawed candidate lost the election their party rigged in her favor, and lost it to Donald Trump.

At a guess, I'd bet that he's re-elected and will serve until January 2025.

When the Votes are tallied November 3, if/when he's re-elected, I'm cracking the cork on a fresh bottle of Glenlivet 18 Year Old Scotch in Celebration.

#13 ·
Oh, and just wanted to add, concerning "Re-opening" the economy?

One Thing That Public Sector Politicians and Bureaucrats Really Need To Keep In Mind.........

If we don't have Private Sector Businesses and Employers doing business, then you receive
NO TAXES to fund the Public Sector.

The only Net Source for Tax Revenue is from the Private Sector.

The Public Sector DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to add to Net Tax Revenue.

So if we continue to keep all of the Private Sector Producers, Businesses, Employers, and TaxPAYERS locked down, sooner or later you're going to run out of money to spend and your own jobs and pensions will disappear.

#17 ·
True. But even WITH the private sector, our government ran out of money decades ago. They just "solve" the problem by printing more.

#16 ·
Word of Advice

Watch the POTUS press-conference daily - which includes a variety of subject matter experts daily...This is the closest you can come to getting pure truth and reality...

Any other source is a derivative (driven by political, organizational, and personal biases) of what is going on concerning the war on CV9, meaning you get further and further away from truth and reality. Fox a little away, and MSNBC and CNN very far away from reality.

#22 ·
Trump may not have “total” authority but he does have A LOT of authority. The idiots like Cuomo and mayors like DeBlasio want all the glory and the recognition but they want none of the responsibility. They want to put that on Trump. How many of these democrat governors squandered state funds on bullsh*t instead of preparing for disasters? DeBlasio was on TV claiming how great NYC is. The best police department, the best fire department, blah blah blah. New York residents are taxed at some of the the highest rates in the country yet the state is broke. Why is that? The blame needs to be put on these democrat governors for screwing their own people. Look at Newsom. He’s wants to give $150B in stimulus money to ILLEGALS. What the hell!?! You watch, CA will be the next state to say they’re broke and need federal taxpayer money to get by. I say to hell with every one of them.

#23 ·
I had to laugh when Cuomo said today that "you can't pass the buck without passing the bucks."

Wasn't it just the other day that he said, quite indignantly, that he was in charge? Now he wants us to think that he has had this dumped on him by the feds, and thus they need to pay for it. Typical of politicians. They talk a good game until it is time to take the field.

#24 ·
I am amazed that the Democratic governors were screaming and yelling about President Trump exceeding his authority. Then when Trump decides to let them open up their states as they see fit, then the governors start screaming and yelling that he isn't doing anything. They really wanted to blame him for everything no matter what and now he sprung his trap and they are stuck making the big decisions thmeselves.

#28 ·
Federal authority vs. states rights.

I worry that because the POTUS flip flopped on saying he has the final word on reopening businesses and then says it's up to the Governors, the liberal media will seize on that.

We are all Americans, Demicans and Republicrats alike. As our CO used to remind us, "We succeed as a unit."

#29 ·
Well, since a bunch of these governors got their undies in a wad because “T” said he had ultimate power, perhaps a nice PSA is in order. POTUS has adopted the mentality of slowly opening this country back up for the sake of the economy. Many are pushing back just to push back. Cuomo and his asshat statement “I’m not going to do anything he says” is total BS! The announcement should squarely lay the economic responsibility of those states on their governors. Point them out, make the public look to the guy in charge of the state and hold them accountable. No one has EVER said to load the subways with millions of people tomorrow afternoon! These jerk Democrap governors are trying to act like heroes. They will go down like fools. Slow is the course, let’s get this machine running again........even if it means burning a few governors mansions in the process!

#30 · (Edited)
POTUS is doing great...He was wize to hold these daily press conferences to keep the record straight and counter the fake news. No wonder so many on the left, and even a few Rhino's called for him to stop them a few weeks ago.

Anyone with half a brain can see POTUS' Leadership in Spades...He has reached the perfect balance of Federal vs State control. The Governors can take a bow for their individual states. So what, this isn't going to make one iota of difference. POTUS and his team takes the most important bow, like 50X more important.

And Sleepy Joe takes no Bow...Although the Left establishment continues to push the narrative of every CV9 death is on "Trump" it is not sticking, not even a little...POTUS has cemented his role as the leader of this country to bring us out of the CV9 mess. He has also cemented a humongous landslide in November (even more so then before CV9 came here).

Once again, politically, POTUS has outsmarted the Left. He knows how to win, and he backs it up with hard work and most importantly RESULTS!

He even exceeded my already high expectation's on his CV9 Leadership and response.

#37 · (Edited)
As far as playing fair with all Gov's independent of party, give me a break, POTUS has given way more to NYC than any other place...Facts do matter!

Here is the political conclusion from CV9:

1) Those who always loved POTUS will love him more because of his outstanding Crises-Leadership.
2) Those who always hated POTUS will hate him more due to an inability to see any good in him, ever, driven by extreme bias.
3) Those in the middle will also recognize what POTUS is doing to defeat CV9 and will vote for him in November.

Could anyone imagine how F'ed things would be right now with CV9 if Sleepy-Joe or Lazy-O'boma were at the helm?

#38 ·
BTW, POTUS has been far too "fair" as far as I am concerned, he has been praising Gov Murphy left and right as working hard. Cheeze, I cringe when he says that, I want Gov. M. defeated in a few years here in NJ.

POTUS will go after a republican just as fast if he senses irresponsibility and laziness...POTuS is likely the fairest "Politician" who ever lived in this country.

#51 ·
I love Trump. The dims are always trying to get the best of him but in the end, they are the ones that look like idiots.

Yes, his tweets are outrageous at times. And he does say the wrong thing sometimes. But he doesn't let the dims run all over him as the past republican presidents did. It is so funny every time he sticks it to the dims. They almost have a meltdown every time he gets them.

#52 ·
Seems like what's important is the "debating society" attitude here.

But what concrete actions are being planned regarding the food
supplies, continued need for medical supplies, fuel supplies?
These are the points that should be up for discussion on a
national scale. Such planning needs to be implemented right
now with the federal government and the governors.

In the end perhaps it will be the career bureaucrats in such
agencies as Agriculture, Labor who will bring forth what is
needed. But leadership is needed and time should not be
spent on daily attacks, now even to the point of picking
on the Drudge Report! Good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.