1911Forum banner

Accurate 1911's for Regular People?

8K views 87 replies 48 participants last post by  1911crazy 
#1 ·
I'll probably regret asking, but what's a good, accurate 1911 for someone who wants to shoot well at up to 25 yards?

I have an SW1911 and a Colt "ELCEN" .38 Super. I find them both accurate, as in most shots go into 1.5" at 7 yards offhand, but I've started to think I would like to feel really good about my pistol's accuracy so I will learn more about what I'm doing wrong.

I just shoot in my backyard. I don't plan to compete, and I'm not so desperate for accuracy that I want to buy a weird-looking competition gun.

I don't know if I'm ready to blow $3K on one hobby pistol. I see that the Gold Cup Trophy is not too expensive, and it's supposedly better than run-of-the-mill guns.

Also, if I want to improve my existing guns, will new barrel bushings make a big difference?

#47 ·
A story I have told before. When I shot Bullseye I was mediocre. My favorite gun was a Sig Stainless Super target. A friend usually won with his Les Baer by keeping all rounds in the "X & 10 ring" so much so that actually counting the holes was impossible. One day we switched guns. I was still mediocre. He still kept all round in the same spot with the Sig. Maybe it isn't the gun.

#48 ·
dsk------------ I'm not a Quick-Draw pistolero by any stretch, nor am I trying to be one. I carry in my RF Pocket, so speed is not on the menu.

But it sounds to me like you haven't watched many Active Self Protection videos on YouTube.

This is a massive, multi-year collection of of real-life shootings & gunfights as caught, mostly, on home & business security cameras.

To my knowledge there IS NO more comprehensive source of authentic incident footage than this.

This includes people drawing while at gunpoint & no end of variations of defense.

And absolutely, YES, the first guy to get shots on target usually prevails. And by On Target that does not mean the Central Nervous System as guys here speak of. It's ankles, elbows, butts, any hits on the villain count.

I know the OP here is looking for Sporting / Recreational accuracy. But for defense work it seems that most incidents where the vic wins, pinpoint accuracy was not a deciding factor.

#53 · (Edited)
EDIT....Congrates at the new CS S&W. I've heard good things about their higher end 1911. The cosmetics of their CS pistols never did much for me but I've heard they were shooters.

My answer WAS going to read...........

Maybe you should save the expense of a new pistol. Your existing pistols may not need much upgrading.

Have them looked over, pick the best and fix obvious defects.....then take a week long shooting camp.......sounds like great fun.

Like the idea of a good quality .22 conversion too.

My problems with accuracy start with me not my pistols.....Sad but true.

#56 ·
I was told in 1987 when I bought my first 45. Shooting a hand gun is about sights and trigger. Get the best sights and trigger you can. This may improve your shooting more than a better gun.

I shoot a 45 with an SRO red dot sight and a 2.5 lb trigger. I can shoot little groups @ 25 yards.

A gun with a loose barrel bushing in the slide or on the barrel can be improved for a few $ by installing an EGW angle bore bushing made to fit the gun.

David

#58 ·
Your S&W and your Colt should be capable of good accuracy out to 25 yards and more if you get some ammo and train with them.

Things like a bushing swap and a trigger job are always good modifications to make to a base gun to help with accuracy and shooting.

As long as that barrel to frame lockup is good, you have a great foundation with what you have.

Some dry firing and some extended range sessions would be great.

#61 ·
I agree that you should generally not draw when someone has the drop on you. But sometimes people still can & do get away with doing just that.

Factors (that you CANNOT count on!) can be:

1.Gunman is high / drunk

2. Gunman is distracted by other victims, his partners, the cash drawer, whatever

3. Gunman's weapon is fake, unloaded, not in battery, safety on, etc.

4. Gunman does not anticipate any resistance at all / has no intention of firing

5. You can conceal your draw.

Ya gotta assess & make (or not make) your move as the situation dictates. I don't set action rules, about fluid situations, ahead of time.

#62 ·
Most 1911s I have shot can be impressive for small groups at 25 yards. I usually shoot a new one against an old one I have shot for years like a Baer, Colt SCG, or Colt Gold Cup. I also often shoot over bags as shooting with a Ransom Rest is sort of like watching paint dry these days. Also try a few types of different ammo.

#63 ·
You have to hand it to the West Freeway Church security member who was shot dead. He didn't cower behind a wall like the famous Broward County deputy.

I don't know why he didn't wait for a better chance to shoot. Maybe he had a reason.

#65 ·
My main problem with handgun accuracy is I took too many handguns to the range to shoot at onetime because I didn’t shoot enough. Once I focused on one gun my accuracy picked up. Then I installed a NM barrel bushing in my norinco project 1911 and now I’m accurate with it at 25 yds. Accuracy is in the barrel bushing fit.

#66 ·
Accuracy is in the barrel bushing fit.

The bushing only amount to about 10% of the accuracy of the gun, mostly it's in the upper and lower locking lugs, because if the bushing fit is where it's at, then why those high end gunsmiths spend so much time to get the lug engagements to be perfect.

#68 · (Edited)
I hand honed my Usgi surplus barrel into the nm barrel bushing for 100% lockup. My lug engagement is with in spec. I can’t push down on the chamber when it’s in full battery. I have no barrel spring in either direction. I only shoot at 25 yds.using the sights anything closer I look down the barrel. This is my first build. I purchased every how to work on 1911’s there was available. I really paid attention to the nm bushing fit. Even with the normal fitted usgi slide rails she shoots 1 1/2” clusters and cloverleafs at 25 yds. Using Russian wolf ammo. This tells me most of the accuracy is in the bushing fit. I haven’t touched the slide to frame rail fit yet.

I shoot at 100yds after practicing at 25yds. My Redhawk 44 mg, python 357, cz85db 9 mm, I haven’t tried my norinco project yet.

#73 ·
I have the Smith & Wesson now. It's extremely tight, and it has a weird spherical bushing. I have to read up on that. I haven't shot it because my NICS check took a day. I guess the rioters are doing a great job stimulating gun sales.

I was thinking I might follow up with a Colt Gold Cup Trophy in .38 Super, but having looked at the Smith, I wonder if it's as good. The Smith has a hand-fit barrel. Don't know if the Colt does.

#74 · (Edited)
As the Colonel, OIC of the pistol team advised in the late 60's, if the trigger is absolutely crisp then run 500 everyday and you'll get the hang of it in a year.
That applies to most any firearm.
Some days that could be doubled or more.
Your tax dollars at work. :rock:

Back when the Beretta 92s were available to the public, a buddy bought a new
one.
Cleaned/oiled it and his new Thompson as well and went out to the range.
Shot a cloverleaf offhand at 15 yds and gave it back to him.
"She runs fine so let me have that Thompson as shooting this reminds me of swimming laps", was what I replied when he said to empty the 9mm.
I told him the same thing the Bird told me. :biglaugh:

Have fun with your new 1911s!!!
When a 45 ain't enough, get a 460 X frame as it can run the same bullets slowly.
That's the long and short of it.

Attachments

#75 ·
I finally had a good opportunity to shoot the PC1911 today. I bought a box of Aguila FMJ because I didn't want to find a defect during the 1st 50 rounds and then have S&W blame it on handloads. I shot 3 8-round magazines.

I'm very happy. The feeling I got was that I was better able to tell how my own technique issues were causing trouble. I think once I've practiced more with it, using my own loads, I will do considerably better than I did in the past.

I will put up a target. I shot from 7 yards, standing.

I don't know what to make of this ammo. When I approached the target to take a photo, I saw a bullet lying on the ground. I don't see how that could happen if the ammo was working correctly.

Attachments

#86 · (Edited)
Sergeant Pork,
My tip to you is to fine tune your grip technique trigger finger placement and trigger press. This is the same that I do and found to be beneficial.
Assuming you are right handed notice most hits are left and low.
Classic symptom of breaking wrist down and too much trigger finger. By too much I mean too close to the finger tip . This matters because at the time of trigger break anyone will apply slightly more pressure but because of your trigger finger being in contact at the far end you will apply slight amount of torque on the trigger push it he trigger Bach but also to your right. This cause the nuzzle to drift left and downward. Plus if not holding your wrist rock solid, the nuzzle drifts even more.
Hand grip. Use one hand technique to develop the proper trigger squeeze and importantantly the proper alignment of the hand gun . I use the online with wrist and elbow withbarrel level . Thisputs the barrel axix parallel toa projected line from elbow to wrist and pointing fingers if pointing fingers is actually inline.
This is a training techninique, to experience once found you proper sweet spot .
Once you discover that you can move on to all the other styles, Weaver etc.
How efficient is this?
I have demonstrated and used this meth to improve others results with as little as two 7 rnd magazines. Last time was a guy at the range inherited a very nice Colt gold cup but could not even get hits on a target at 5 yrs but we're on paper.. Hits looked more like a shotgun pattern

I used his Colt then shot 7 dead center shot
The cleared the cold demonstrated how I grip and place trigger finger and press. At the point where you know the trigger trips make sure sights are on target the squeeze directly back
His results were firs 7 very close.
I observed and gave feedback as to what he was doing.
Next mag pretty much on target.
Training courses are great however they tend to skip over this fundamental step.
Also everyone need to hone their techniq. That could be withdry fire and relatively few quality not quantity shots.
You can check your 1911 performance with sand bag resting your hand and see how good the groups are.
From your targets I say you need to refine what you are doing. I would not tinker with the gun.

Remember to keep the front sight on target during the trigger press and use the follow through technique.

#76 ·
Most run of the mill 1911s can be made better (more accurate) in three ways:

- Proper instruction. I am a precision shooter...that’s sort of my thing. I competed two full seasons in bullseye wild a Ruger 1911

- Trigger work. I spent $50 on a trigger job from a great smith.

- Match grade, crowned barrel.

The first two will make a world of difference

#77 ·
Smith & Wesson says I have a precision crowned muzzle and a spherical barrel bushing. They supposedly hard-mount these things.

I like the trigger much more than the one on my SW1911, but it seems like there is still a touch of grit. Maybe I can find the right surfaces to polish and grease.

#81 ·
I'm regular if I get my fiber.
I used to shoot at a 25 yard range pretty often.
Using both hands, any good quality, well taken care of .45 should be able to get all your rounds inside the black at 25 yards if you do your part.
Dropping in a Group Gripper is an inexpensive way to coax a bit more accuracy out of a GM according to 1911 expert Maj. George Nonte.

If you opt for Gold Cup remember these are built for lighter target loads. More than one front sight has been launched into the grass by a Gold Cup fed with ball ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.