1911Forum banner

and you trust these people to teach your kids?

10K views 143 replies 44 participants last post by  longarm 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
“I have explained to my son that he did nothing wrong,” Sperry said. “He said, ‘I’m just sad because I thought the teachers were my friends.'”
Kid just learned a hard lesson at an early age - no authority figure is your friend. Not your teacher, principal, the police, nor the judge you might end up facing. Hopefuly his mother also learned the same lesson, and won't be allowing police in without a warrant in the future. Doesn't matter if you don't think you have anything to hide, there's a good chance they can find something you weren't aware you should have hidden. No warrant? No search.

#5 ·
Obviously, this prissy poindexter teacher should be publicly stoned. All parents need to do a blackout curtain behind their kids. If only they would have known that the reaction would be that way.........I would have set up some elaborate scheme to make that teacher look like a fool for not minding their own business.

#6 · (Edited)
As an 11-12 year old, I had one of these displayed on my dresser top in the mid 1950s in St. Louis. Even used to drag it out to play Army with my friends all around the neighborhood without a peep from any of the parents.
It was brought back from France in 1945 by my dad, along with two 98k Mausers.
It is now in the vault of the Military Museum at Camp Mabry in Austin Texas.
(Not my picture)

Attachments

#57 ·
:) What a fantastic gift for you to receive from your father, and for you to donate to the Museum. That was a wonderful thing you did.

Stay safe, Emily

#9 ·
The virtual class extends to the home...

What the hell? So now these clowns are believing that they control the kids entire environment...not the parents.

No warrant, no enter. If they are concerned...then say so. Calling the cops is a chicken move...arse covering.

#10 ·
The story is heavily biased to the Right. Look at the first sentence. Saying that the teacher called police to say she had seen a BB gun in a kid's room.

Baloney. That's very unlikely to be what she relayed to LE (it being a BB gun) I think the school folks thought that there was a REAL firearm stored in the child's room.

And I think the police went there under the impression that this might be the case.

THIS scenario that I have outlined actually makes sense. And the article lets that slip by saying that the police, when shown they were simply airguns, left without further action.

Relax, guys. This was a non-event. Same deal would have happened if the teachers thought there was anything potentially dangerous to the child in there.

Like storage of household poisons or water pouring in from a leaking roof.

#15 ·
The story is heavily biased to the Right. Look at the first sentence. Saying that the teacher called police to say she had seen a BB gun in a kid's room.

Baloney. That's very unlikely to be what she relayed to LE (it being a BB gun) I think the school folks thought that there was a REAL firearm stored in the child's room.
I hear what you're saying, but it's a Red Ryder BB gun. The teacher must live under a rock if she doesn't recognize it for what it is.

#11 ·
I would talk to an attorney & suggest the teacher & staff be investigated for invasion of privacy & punitative damages, & harassment!
I would make it as uncomfortable for that school as I could. I might seek damages for a counsler to help my child overcome trauma inflicted deliberatly by the teacher & staff.

#12 ·
Teachers are "mandated reporters" and are legally REQUIRED to report when they think a child may be in danger. Take the other side of the coin- what if they were real and this kid went out and committed another mass shooting? There is a moral piece and a liability component at play here.

#28 ·
Yeah, yeah, but they have a responsibility to use reasonable care to know what the frickety frack they are talking about. ANY school resource officer could have easily said......”settle down Nancy, it’s just a pop gun”. End of story! Call the cops, what a total overreaction and waste of resources.

#13 ·
I'm with Frank.

Let this also be a warning to everyone, kids and adults. Be careful when engaged in virtual meetings, working from home in a video conference, or simply video chatting. When my wife was doing teacher staff meetings from home I had to be careful not to walk by her in the background. Had she adjusted her computer just a little more to the side my gun safe would have been in view. Fortunately, most of her fellow teachers wouldn't have said much. Maybe a few personal "Oh my" but nothing that would have gotten much more A few might have even said cool if I'd walked by carrying openly. Which I do around the house and just toss on a button up shirt when we go out.

As more of the video interaction for business and education increases we have to think about these things. For that matter, how hard would it be to include in the fine print for apps that we give them the right to monitor and report what they see in the background. Or that we give permission for access to our cameras and mics even when not logged in.

I don't have a camera on my current monitor. If I did, I'd do like I used to. Cover it with tape when not in use.

#14 ·
I can’t wait to take my 9 yo grandson shooting 22’s he’s way past bb / pellet guns it’s time to take him to the next step. Target shooting is a great sport.

#16 ·
The teacher took a screen shot of the kid and his bedroom. I smell an invasion of privacy suit. I would get the sleaziest attorney in the area to take the case and force the school to make a settlement. Part of that settlement would be the teachers resignation.
And yes have a black back ground in the future, the leftists are looking everywhere for something to rage about.

#17 ·
When kids shoot people on purpose or accidentally guys here are quick to call out their folks for Bad Parenting.

Yet they also seem to think that keeping a loaded AR in their 10 year old's bedroom is perfectly okay. Because that's essentially what's being said here.

Look, you can't have it both ways. If you believe that every gun should be considered real and loaded

then you have to accept that the teacher, per her observation, did the right thing.

#35 ·
This is not analogous to a child shooting someone. The teacher did not report that the child was talking about putting his firearms (BB gun or otherwise) to use in any unlalwful manner. There is a clear and obvious difference between Broward County for example, where the shooter was reported to police and the FBI over 30 times, and even the school's councilor basically said 'this kid needs a for real psychologist because this is over my head levels of dangerous' (my words not theirs).

In this case we have a kid with a gun like object hanging on a wall over top of 2 other gun like objects that have orange tips - which should clearly indicate they are a toy.

I don't see anyone in here advocating for a child having a loaded AR-15 on their bedroom wall. I don't even see anyone advocating for a Ruger 10-22.

But if I were a parent, and I made the executive decision that my child was mature enough to handle an airsoft rifle, BB gun, pellet rifle, .22, whatever - that is my decision. Not the school's or the state's. As is the manner in which the weapon and/or ammunition are to be stored and whether or not they are accessible to members of the family. Especially within the confines of my own home and/or boundaries of my property.

P.S. I can scarcely remember a time as a child I didn't have a shiner or bruise the size of a man's fist. But no man ever laid hands on me, the only adults that ever meted out corporal punishment were my mother and grandparents - they never left bruises. But falling off bikes, skateboards, fences, out of trees, off roofs, scrapping with my younger brother (or wrestling with friends) meant I usually had a new sizable bruise before the previous one healed. We played hard when I was a kid, and quite frankly I pity the kids growing up now that will likely never know what any of that is like because their Hover-moms won't let them play anything but a Nintendo Switch for fear the teacher will call CPS if little Johnny gets a scrape from the asphalt.

#19 ·
We drove farm trucks to high school. On the gun rack in the back window was a lever action in almost every truck. Some even had pistols under the seat and in the glove box. No one said a word, no one complained. And no one commited mass anything.
God how i miss those much more simple and satisfying times.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#21 ·
dsk------------- No, I never said I agreed that Virtual School is the same as real school because it isn't. It's similar in many ways and different too. It's not apples to apples.

Plaidad. It was not only a Red Ryder ------- it was apparently a few "BB guns" which could also be Airsoft guns. Some which look very authentic.

#22 ·
P.S.... If the school's position is that their Duty To Report extends to Virtual School YES, I totally agree with that aspect.

For example, if a teacher suspects physical or sexual abuse because of what they see online. Or criminal situations such as prostitution or drug use, they should report it.

I think if your grandchild appeared on Zoom with a black eye and a man-sized fist print on her face you'd want her teacher to do something about it.

At that point your sketchy son-in-law can do all that lawyering-up proposed here. From jail. Hopefully in Gen Pop.

#24 ·
The teacher would have been within their rights to contact the parents and inquire about the realistic-looking guns he/she saw in the background. They were not within their rights to call the police. This is the very thing that is getting cops in trouble these days, as they're being called in to be the fix-it men for everything from loud music complaints to welfare checks to armed bank robbers. They are not the do-everything problem solvers of society. If you see a problem with a child talk to their parents first, and if you see a serious problem that they don't seem willing or able to answer THEN call the police.

#25 ·
Cases such as this are exactly why you DO NOT want a live camera on any computer in your home. Every time I buy a new computer the first thing I do is place a piece of black electrical tape over the camera. You don't get to come into my home uninvited. And NO, I would never trust the Govt. to educate my children.

#27 · (Edited)
My partner and I won the two man 50/100 yard smallbore competition at the Western Nations in El Monte Ca. in '68.
The mom should have told the Cops that it was a BB gun, to have a nice day and goodbye!!!

My partner grew up getting rid of critters that dug holes and damaged his horses/cattle with his 22-250 since he was 8.
He dropped three less points than me and we outshot the Masters that day.
I poured a real beer in the pewter mug I won, as I just turned 21, and poured a root beer in his.
He just turned 12 that week.

Great parents as well.

#32 ·
Well according to your scenario, if it is 'xyz' policy in the school, than the same 'xyz' policy applies in the remote virtual school. Right? Those virtual zoom school sessions are generally a video matrix screen with all the members of the class appearing simultaneously. If the school has a policy against provocative political messages that may lead to a school disruption whether it is a message on a T-shirt, hat, book cover, etc; they could also in theory (according to your scenario) take action if that message appears in the video feed visible by other classmates.

We can't have a virtual cycberspace class disruption now can we? ;)

Schools are known to ban T-shirts with the NRA logo and other symbols. Anything that doesn't fit their lefty commie agenda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.