1911Forum banner

Renewed my CCP yesterday.

2K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  TRX302 
#1 · (Edited)
Jefferson County, Alabama. We can do it on line now. Choice, of one, two, three, four or five year renewal. Just take the basic $7.50 annual fee and multiply buy number of years you want. Doesn't make sense to me to do it for less than five years so I charged $40.00 to my credit card (including $2.50 to get it laminated.) At age 74 five years may suffice for my duration.

The permits are issued by county sheriffs and the fee is set by them so it varies by county. The last democrat I ever voted for was many years ago. Our one-term republican sheriff had increased the annual fee to $21.50 and young demo candidate Mike Hale promised to return the fee to $7.50 if elected. Done and done. Hale switched to the Republican Party during his first term and recently retired after a long career as sheriff.

The idea of having to obtain a permit to exercise a right is basically odious, but Jefferson County Alabama makes it as easy and inexpensive as any I know of.

#2 ·
I live in AZ where we “don’t need no stinking permit” for conceal or open carry. I have a permit however for traveling outside of state. Planning a car trip to N.C. and I can drive from my state to yours and beyond on the AZ permit. As long as I take the Red route and not the Blue route.

#5 ·
Arizona resident here too. Our licenses....bypasses the federal background check when buying or transferring a firearm.
I've said this before...

CA wouldn't accept my valid CA CCW as a form of identification to transfer a rifle into my name.
All the documents I needed to get the CCW and it doesn't help with ID.
What are your CCW cards/permits made of in your state these days? For the longest time ours were paper, and not the kind you'd have a business card made from either. Shoot, my library card was plastic with a barcode, and that allowed me to borrow a book and it was more official lol

#7 ·
My current one expires in October. So I gotta jump through the hoops again after the summer.

Btw, it only makes sense that licenses from whatever state that has the most stringent criteria should be good in all the less-stringent states.

Plus CCW's from other states should be good in all equal or less stringent states.

The whole "reciprocity" Quid pro Quo --- I'll Rub Your Back, You Rub Mine thing is corrupt and reeks of cronyism. Buddy-Favors should not be a factor.

If you are going to have a license-sharing system it should be based on qualifying criteria only. Nothing else.

But then again, complaining about corruption in a corrupt program is pointless. The 2A says we can bear. So the whole CCW License concept is fundamentally unconstitutional.

But I guess this choir doesn't need a sermon on that!

#10 ·
My current one expires in October. So I gotta jump through the hoops again after the summer.

Btw, it only makes sense that licenses from whatever state that has the most stringent criteria should be good in all the less-stringent states.

Plus CCW's from other states should be good in all equal or less stringent states.

The whole "reciprocity" Quid pro Quo --- I'll Rub Your Back, You Rub Mine thing is corrupt and reeks of cronyism. Buddy-Favors should not be a factor.

If you are going to have a license-sharing system it should be based on qualifying criteria only. Nothing else.

But then again, complaining about corruption in a corrupt program is pointless. The 2A says we can bear. So the whole CCW License concept is fundamentally unconstitutional.

That is all about the money - those who wish to control want to reduce everything to fees - even fundamental rights. Nothing new here, it has been this way since the early dynasties in China, Emperors/Kings in Greece and the Middle East and North Africa, Rome and you name the place.

But I guess this choir doesn't need a sermon on that! You are right, I think we here on the forum are of a like mind on that score.
See red highlights above MM.

#9 ·
Concealed weapons permits should be like drivers licenses. Available to anyone who can pass a basic standard set of requirements and be good in all 50 states.

#11 ·
Exactly. Plus the SCOTUS ruled gay marriage was legal in all 50 states under the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment even though marriage of any kind isn’t mentioned in the Constitution, yet legal possession and carrying of a firearm isn’t allowed in all states under the same clause even though private gun ownership IS protected by the Constitution.

#12 ·
I keep my AZ CCW renewed (fee paid) even though I don't need it to carry concealed. It is good for me to have in case of contact with Law Enforcement.

I just hand the officer my CCW with my drivers license and usually get the grin - wheres it at, just dont reach for it. :)

Hey its not like I am a criminal, but my heavily modded Camaro just has a hard time with speed limits occasionally. :eek:

#13 ·
I am a bit at odds with the county in which I live.

In Virginia, by law the fee for the CCW is only supposed to reflect the cost that it takes to run the background check. For some time now the fee for Floyd county has been running ten bucks per year. Fifty bucks for a five year renewal.

I never really had a beef with this until recently. It has become common knowledge that it does in fact cost considerably less than fifty bucks to perform the required background check for renewal. Some of the county's here in the commonwealth have subsequently reduced their renewal fees to be compliant with State law. Others have not, my own county to be one of those.

We will see what happens going forward.

#31 ·
In Virginia, by law the fee for the CCW is only supposed to reflect the cost that it takes to run the background check. For some time now the fee for Floyd county has been running ten bucks per year. Fifty bucks for a five year renewal.

I never really had a beef with this until recently. It has become common knowledge that it does in fact cost considerably less than fifty bucks to perform the required background check for renewal. Some of the county's here in the commonwealth have subsequently reduced their renewal fees to be compliant with State law. Others have not, my own county to be one of those.

We will see what happens going forward.
There are 3 fees rolled into that, which add up to $50:

§ 18.2-308.03. Fees for concealed handgun permits.

A. The clerk shall charge a fee of $10 for the processing of an application or issuing of a permit, including his costs associated with the consultation with law-enforcement agencies. The local law-enforcement agency conducting the background investigation may charge a fee not to exceed $35 to cover the cost of conducting an investigation pursuant to this article. The $35 fee shall include any amount assessed by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation for providing criminal history record information, and the local law-enforcement agency shall forward the amount assessed by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation to the State Police with the fingerprints taken from any nonresident applicant. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5 to cover its costs associated with processing the application. The total amount assessed for processing an application for a permit shall not exceed $50, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who receives the application. Payment may be made by any method accepted by that court for payment of other fees or penalties. No payment shall be required until the application is received by the court as a complete application.

#16 ·
Here in Indiana you have a choice of buying the CCW either for a year at I believe $25 or a lifetime permit that is around $100 once everybody gets their cut, I went With the lifetime.

At one time VP Pence (former governor) was trying to get it where you could just legally carry open or concealed for no fee or permit required but haven’t heard anything on that since he moved up. As an interesting side note Pence was the only governor that had a ccw lifetime permit, not sure if that’s still the case but he is a big 2a supporter, believes in the constitution, didn’t think there was any of those guys in Washington anymore.

#17 ·
Viper_29 and mickeyd ------------- you guys said that dsk's Standardized Requirements concept was BS.

May I ask why?

Because what we have now is a state-by-state and even county-by-county capricious mess of petty feudal fiefdoms.

Look, I think the 2A is all the CCW Law we need. It says we can carry. However we choose to as there is no mention of open or concealed.

BUT, if there IS going to a a license/permit system it would be good to have a standardized, or close to standardized, set of requirements.

Because right now I'll be shooting qualifications left handed and bringing bank statements and a consent letter from my wife.

And that's just IF my Sheriff doesn't retire before October. If he decides to move to Vegas then all bets are off.

The new man in town might just say no to all CCW applicants.

THIS is BS on a whole 'nuther level.

#22 ·
I was being facetious. It would be wonderful if there were no gun laws whatsoever, and a person could just walk into a gun store or hardware store like they did in the 1880s and buy a gun right out of the glass case with no forms to fill out. Back then people carried everywhere without a permit, even convicted killers freshly released from prison. Of course towns often had laws banning the carrying of firearms within city limits, but those were either ignored or people simply carried concealed. Of course automobiles were just being invented at that time as well, and there were no laws requiring licensing of those either. There weren't even any traffic laws at first, and you could drive them wherever you pleased and as fast as you wanted.

#24 ·
I was being facetious. It would be wonderful if there were no gun laws whatsoever, and a person could just walk into a gun store or hardware store like they did in the 1880s and buy a gun right out of the glass case with no forms to fill out. Back then people carried everywhere without a permit, even convicted killers freshly released from prison. Of course towns often had laws banning the carrying of firearms within city limits, but those were either ignored or people simply carried concealed. Of course automobiles were just being invented at that time as well, and there were no laws requiring licensing of those either. There weren't even any traffic laws at first, and you could drive them wherever you pleased and as fast as you wanted.
It was that way until 1968; I miss those days - a lot. When there weren't any traffic laws, there also weren't many drivers on the road, and most "roads" were gravel at best, which limited the speeds you could go anyway. Fast forward a few decades, after automobile mass production came along and automobiles were generally affordable, and presto! new laws and regulations needed because of the boneheads that wanted to drive recklessly. At least that generally cleaned up the gene pool...:eek:

#25 ·
dsk said:
And here I thought you were pro-gun...
Golly-Gee-Willakers!

I think you just flushed out two more dem'z. :eek:

If I'm wrong, then I'll need a REAL explanation of the "horse feathers" they presented! :mad:

#26 ·
No, I think they're quite the opposite. Many people oppose gun laws in any form and feel that carry permits are nothing but permission slips from the government to exercise a constitutional right. I don't necessarily disagree with that line of thinking, but at the same time I'm a realist and know that 50-state constitutional carry is about as likely to happen as Andrew Jackson popping out of his grave and running for president again.

#28 ·
People allowed the states and courts and supremes to neuter the 2A. Shoving it right back up their collective ass is the solution: they never, ever had the RIght to limit our BOR. Period.

The Supremes have been deliberately, malice aforethought, avoiding this issue for about 60+ years. Americans have let them - the friggin' NRA let them.

#29 ·
A major problem with standardized carry license is most states already have shall issue. Any standardized requirement would be California New York restrictions. So no way .

If your state has arbritrary gun bans cc limits restrictions etc. then you need to figure out a way to get them changed .

#30 ·
Quite obviously I was suggesting CA and NY be forced to accept shall issue CWP. Driving may be a privilege and not a right, but the truth is drivers licenses are are closer to being shall-issue than may-issue. Imagine applying for a drivers license, taking the written and driving tests and passing each with flying colors, and then having the licensing agent tell you "Sorry, but you haven't shown a compelling need to own or drive a car so we're not going to approve your application for a license". So far at least that has never happened, at least not in this country.

#33 · (Edited)
I still oppose the concept.
No way do I agree to universal criteria.
For example look at CA. There is no way I would agree to any of the California ccw laws .
By the way I used to live in Santa Cruz county and am very familiar with their ways.

Regardless fed legislation will not happen so this is not an active or open item.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.