1911Forum banner

S&W post-2000 year models

8K views 76 replies 40 participants last post by  Austin_TX 
#1 ·
Why so much dislike for post-2000 revolvers? Is it JUST the internal lock, or are there other reasons?

#45 · (Edited)
Old or new, Smiths run just fine.

Below from the S&W site:
"Plus I have done many hundreds of action jobs on Smith & Wesson revolvers both old and modern over the decades

In many ways the newer guns are superior to the older guns

However time always colors our vision, so for many people the old ones are always better than the new no matter what model we are taking about

I am also glad that Smith & Wesson kept the 4 screw frame that was introduced with the Heritage series revolvers. While the 4th screw really does nothing, it adds a nice nostalgic touch.

The modern nickel is the prettiest nickel I have ever seen come out of the Factory. I have several other modern nickel plated revolvers that all have the same great look

Can you change hammers and triggers, of course you can. However at the moment we do not have the wide selection that Smith & Wesson developed over the better part of a century for some of these old models. Hammers and triggers evolved, and I am sure they will evolve for the newer firearms as well.

The MIM parts offer a smoother out of the box action than the older guns. (yes I expect to get flamed over this) While the older guns might have smoother action NOW, this is after how many tens of thousands of times the trigger has been pulled? We also forget that we have zero knowledge of all of the old guns that went back to the factory just after purchase. There was no Internet back then. The only stories we heard were at the range or perhaps at our P&R club meetings

The MIM parts also have cut the time in half to do action jobs due to their uniformity. Thee is much less time spent cleaning up the vatious moving parts in these new revolvers

Most importantly of all, these Modern wheel guns are some of the most accurate Smith & Wesson revolvers I have ever shot"

Pizza Bob, like me... Bob with pizza, likes revolvers and Smiths old and new have their merits.
Only holes down range matter. ;)

If you don't hang on tight, the big one becomes a .... hand ejector. :biglaugh:

Have fun/Stay safe
RT

Attachments

#48 ·
To me its not just the bowing down lock system...

Compared to the fine craftsmanship and quality offered by S & W in the past; I just cant get over the fake barrel system. The idea of a plain white steel tube covered by a 'barrel shroud' just smacks of cheapness to me, especially when you consider what they charge for their revolvers.

(Yes I know about Dan Wesson fireams...)

#49 · (Edited)
Compared to the fine craftsmanship and quality offered by S & W in the past; I just cant get over the fake barrel system. The idea of a plain white steel tube covered by a 'barrel shroud' just smacks of cheapness to me, especially when you consider what they charge for their revolvers.

(Yes I know about Dan Wesson fireams...)
Well, do you know about Korth revolvers?

There’s nothing inherently “cheap” about a revolver with a barrel tensioned by an external shroud. I love the design on my Korths. I hate it on S&W revolvers not because it’s necessarily cheap, but simply because I’m a traditionalist when it comes to firearms, and a shrouded barrel just looks completely alien on a S&W.

#52 ·
Having the mim parts and loc or not I’m happy to buy them. My RedHawks handle magnum loads no problem. My s&w are safe queens.

#74 · (Edited)
This is the one I was considering, but the bid went to just over $1600 which was more than I was willing to pay.

Although that's $800 less that Altamont is asking.
I'd say you won by losing.
You no likey the gun...or the price?
The gun. I don’t mind paying many multiples of that price for the right pistol or revolver.

I don’t care much for engraved guns in general, but I think the pattern on that one is particularly hideous, and the idea of engraving a S&W revolver with the lock is just beyond absurd to me.

All my opinion, of course. To each his own.
You no likey the gun...or the price?
It would be just the ticket, to go along with my 1970 Caddy and pimp chalice.
LOL. OK. I thought it was kinda unique. I get a lot of flack for my gold tiger stripe Desert Eagle too.

#61 ·
The S&W Revolvers that are out now are not as aesthetically pleasing as the older Revolvers.

The fit and the finish on the older Revolvers was second to none.

If you have never held a Blued 19-3 or a Nickel 27-2, you don’t know what you are missing.

They new guns have that abomination called a key lock on it. The lock ruins the aesthetic of the gun. S&W has also had a lot of problems with the Crush fit barrels being over clocked, and then sent right back to the customer saying they are in spec. B.S.!

Some of the new Revolvers do have some merit though. The 586’s and 686’s continue to be excellent. The 586 L Comp, the 19 L Comp and the 610 are all excellent revolvers.

There are other modern S&W revolvers that are also very good.

The Key Lock is just awful.

If they did away with the Key Lock, their sales would go up by a very large percentage.

#62 ·
The Key Lock is just awful.

If they did away with the Key Lock, their sales would go up by a very large percentage.

I agree however I think that is something that S&W will sadly never consider. I think to retool the factory for anti-lock guns would be at tremendous expense, considering every revolver they make has the Hillary hole in it. Doesn't it? I would buy one just to show my support if they would reconsider the lock device

#63 ·
S&W has made a lock-free J-frame since the locks became part & parcel of all their revolvers. S&W was purchased in 2001 by the Saf-T-Hammer company, who are the ones responsible for the locks (along with the agreement with the Clinton Admin). I don't think it will be leaving us anytime soon. The retooling costs would be negligible.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

#66 ·
It absolutely is the company line.

I pointed out to him that some of the J-Frames on display didnt have the safety and they should consider making all they revos without them or at least an option.

Thats when I got the everyone likes them line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.