1911Forum banner

I've got the Glock "bug" - someone help me!

10K views 127 replies 46 participants last post by  Nitro.45 
#1 · (Edited)
For people who know me, I am a HUGE DA/SA guy. Have been for years. Sure, I've owned several striker fired guns over 20+ years - but they really have not been my thing for the past 12-14 years or so.

Anyway, the Glock 48 caught my attention a few months back. But, I have bought so many guns over the years (3 digits worth), and didn't like them after I owned them. I didn't wanna make that mistake again.

Well, my local range finally got one to rent. I rented it a couple of weeks ago, and I loved it. This gun is fantastic for a guy with smaller hands. But, it still has a 4" barrel. I had the shop order me a blue label one with Ameriglo sights. It came in a few days later, and I took it to the range. Shot very tight groups compared to some of my other guns. Now, it is in my carry rotation.

The gun is very accurate. I like the way it shoots, and it fits my hands better than the double stack G19. What I like it that while it is thinner, it's not TOO thin. The Shield and the XDe seem almost TOO thin. But, the width of the G48 fits my hands just perfect. I only added a Hogue Jr grip to it, because I like rubber grips on most of my guns.

Now, I'm wanting a Glock 43X. Damn, what is happening to me... :eek:

See less See more
#91 ·
Before I retired I carried a personally owned and authorized for duty use Sig Stainless Elite P229 .40. The agency issue weapon was a .40 Sig P229 with DAO trigger. I never liked being issued a weapon and having to carry "their" guns, so I got my own Sig without the crap DAO BS trigger. I too got the Glock bug and decided to add a second personally owned handgun and bought and got approved a Glock 17 Gen 4. I hated it, especially that crappy, mushy split trigger.

During our quarterly firearms qualifications, my brand new Glock would run fine until halfway through a string of timed multiple shots with a combat reload, where right in the middle of the string of firing the Glock would release the striker pin and do a light primer strike (not enough to ignite the cartridge primer) and I would pull the trigger and the Glock went "click." Of course I would have to engage the tap, rack, bang drill to clear that round and resume shooting.

I would pick up the ejected round to see the light primer strike and I could re-chamber that round and it would fire after the striker pin hitting it again. This was a common issue with that pistol. Out of a box of 50 rds one round would get a light primer strike. This would happen every quarterly qualification.

The other issue that I had was when it was winter time and we had to qualify in the freezing cold. I would wear gloves and that crap mushy Glock trigger was doubly mushy while wearing gloves making it difficult to fire off multiple accurate, timed rounds within the time limit with gloves. I've never, ever experienced that issue while wearing gloves on any revolver or any of my other semi-auto pistols, ever. I sold off that Glock after I retired and never looked back.

#92 ·
It’s refreshing to see an honest Glock owner.
Most would never admit to such sacrilege amongst the Glock brotherhood.
They fail like anything else. A simple (decent) trigger assy will cost you north of $100 all by itself. A couple other items and you should be questioning why you bought it in the first place. The competition in the plastic market has sailed right past Gaston. Their marketing departments have not.

#94 ·
a simple trigger assy will cost you north of $100 all by itself. A couple other items and you should be questioning why you bought it in the first place. The competition in the plastic market has sailed right past Gaston. Their marketing departments have not.
And how many 1911 owners put $$$ into their guns even before shooting them?

Waah, it won't fire for me now. [emoji46].

Millions of G.I.'s managed to kill many hundreds of German and Japanese soldiers without fancy expensive dimpled grips on their Government issued roscoes. [emoji143]

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

#103 ·
Well I for one am shocked....shocked I tells ya', that an EXTREMELY wealthy geezer 10 yrs my senior has chosen to dump his wife of many decades for a hot blond 1/2 his age.

I think this may well be the first time this sort of thing has ever happened?...…. I 'could' be mistaken? - LOL

Polymer&steel guns work, and work well. All steel guns work, and work well. IMHO it's ALL good. At day's end I only gotta keep ME happy, that philosophy applies to all who share this planet.

#112 ·
I'll help you - the gun is okay except for the lack of a manual safety. Since the striker is always cocked after the slide is cycled, the trigger lever safety is all that prevents accidental firing. Since anything that would touch the trigger also touches the safety lever, it is of questionable effectiveness. IOW it might as well not even be there for all the good it does.
Carrying a Glock to me is the same as carrying a 1911 loaded, cocked and safety off, a condition you never want to see unless the pistol is being presented to fire.
I didn't understand all this when I bought a G23. I loved the pistol but as soon as I realized how it worked, I sold it at the next gun show.
I carry a striker-fire, but it also has a manual safety - I won't come near one without it.

#117 ·
Since the striker is always cocked after the slide is cycled, the trigger lever safety is all that prevents accidental firing.
Not completely. The striker is only partially cocked after cycling. Squeezing the trigger completes the cocking action. There are two other safties besides the trigger safety (firing pin safety and drop safety) that help prevent an accidental discharge.

And just for grins, here is a 10 shot group I fired at 25 yards with my Glock 19 gen 5 on it's first outing. While not as accurate as my ACW or Wilson Combat, etc., I only paid $500 new for the Glock.

Attachments

#113 · (Edited)
Testimony time Brothers and Sisters,

I must admit I went over to the dark side about 9 yrs ago.

I like my .357 mags and my .45ACP.

Alas I decided to go to the dark side and get me one of those 9mm lugers.

Since going that far why not even darker.
Got a gen 3 Glock 26.

As it was Perfection , no way was I changing anything .

Well,
After about 7 yrs or so never had a misfire, misfeed and no Glock leg. So decided to keep it around.

Finally went to perfection and beyond and put Glock OEM night sights on it.
Don't get me wrong,

I still like my 1911 in .45 . But all steel is getting heavy to lug around in my golden years ( even though not quite there yet, but Workin on it).

Also like my .357 mag S&W but also use .38 spec +P if not carrying the Glock 26.

I do have another Glock. It is a gen 3 Glock 19.
But I changed the plastic stock dovetail protectors for Trijicon HD night sights.

I am looking for another 1911. It will not (maybe) be a 9 mm .

And I am not getting into a caliber war about that either.

#115 ·
Am assuming that no one here who has enjoyed the pleasure of being seduced by a high-end 1911 would never lower themselves to lay w/ the $2 whore of plastic.

#119 ·
I have a friend and fellow forumite with a Wilson (nice gun) with genuine ivory grips and other nice steel and he still has a few Glocks around. He appreciates all kinds, as do I.

#120 ·
Glocks are made out of pretty flimsy parts and in my view, they are very ugly. But they work very well their accuracy is pretty good and their price is also good. I own one Glock. I also have a couple of Polymere80's and prefer them they have a better grip angle and they are not quite as ugly as the factory Glock. Plus if you spend the time hunting parts you can build a gun that has all of the good aftermarket parts for about the price of a factory Glock.

I like metal guns better than plastic. But plastic guns are good also. They are much comfier to carry around all day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.