1911Forum banner

Another RIA sight question

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  red_zr24x4 
#1 ·
I have 2 RIA Tactical models, 1 is 9mm, 1 is .45. I know they are Novak style cuts.
Here's my problem I shoot about 6" low with both pistols, no matter what ammo I use. I have to hold it so I see the complete front sight, basically I have to cover the target with the front sight.

Looking at the sticky thread about sights I see they are 0.180" tall, to raise my POI up 6" do I go with a 0.160"? shorter yet?

My other pistols (revolvers, Sigs) are pretty much a 6 o'clock hold, this is what I want for my RIA's.

#2 ·
Start by using a flat file on your current sight and keep track of measurements. My Tac9 shot 12" low and I filed it down to a nub. If you have a FO sight it might not be possible to file it down. I ended up sending it back to NV and they replaced the entire gun for that and another problem.

#3 ·
They are Novak style cuts. Not quite the same. A tad smaller. Unless the have changed them??
I put Trijicon #600145 Govt cuts on my GI Compact 45.
They shoot to point of aim at 15 yards for me.
PS: as I have a heavy file finger. I let my local GS put them on for $65 a pop.
I don't remember what model number the sights are on my 9mm Compact Tactical sorry.

#6 ·
Google front sight height calculator for pistol. Brownels has a good one. if you are shooting 6" low at 25 yards the front sight needs filed down very little maybe .001 of an inch. Or you can use it to know exactly what height you need to order. Call RIA and ask them what the sight base measurement is. The formula is distance from rear sight to the front sight divided by 3600 and that gives you the correction you need. I could figure it for you but i don't know which model you have Gov't, Commander?

#12 ·
Google Brownell's pistol front sight calculator. Multiply the distance from your rear sight to your front sight times the amount your front sight is off at the yardage you want to zero it and divide by 3600. If you are hitting low you will either need to file off very little or add the amount to your front sight you want to replace it with. I would email or call RIA and find out what there front sight base measurements are and that way you will be able to know which sight you want to order.

#14 ·
Shooting the same amount low with both pistols ?
Sounds more like a shooter problem.

Have you tried a ransom rest or at least shooting from a bench on sandbags to verify a sight problem before you go filing or changing sights ?
Or have a knowledgeable person shoot both pistols to see what they do for him/her.

#17 ·
Sorry for the delay in replying, had to travel for work

I know its a shooters issue, with my Sig's or Revolvers Im GTG. I believe its the grip angle, it has me all messed up.
As to the quote below, why wouldnt I want to change or file the sights? If I cant hit with it the pistol is worthless to me, it doesnt matter if anyone else can shoot it just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.