1911Forum banner

Worst 1911 you have ever owned

30K views 197 replies 176 participants last post by  IronFilex 
#1 ·
These days it seems like 1911's are all fairly high quality even the cheapest, but there was a time when such wasn't the case. So which 1911 that you have owned in the past claims the worst spot.

I'll start off with my AMT 1911 hardballer. The biggest pos in the 1911 realm I have ever owned. It jammed and when I got it fixed it broke at the frame.

#89 ·
I agree with you Artburg. When I was a kid I swore I'd never marry a red head. Guess what......got the prettiest, sweetest, kindest, most loving Redhead in the world and I wouldn't take a Wilson for her. Premediated conclusions if that is good terminology just isn't good thinking. I have a Taurus 9mm PT1911 and love it. But as always, beauty and sentiments are in the eyes of the beholder....

#90 ·
I have a Colt Government model made during the UAW strike in 1985 or 86 and it was pretty bad as far as machining and fit. The damn thing wouldn't run a whole magazine without some kind of jamb, but with a some fitting and polishing it is still one of my best pistols. I kind of think 1911's are like sex, the worst one I ever had was wonderful, it's just that some of them take more love and attention.

#93 ·
Kimber with an external extractor. Sent back to the factory 4 separate times.
They never did get it right.....and their attitude SUCKED.

Never again. The experience did steer me towards high end 1911s...
LOVE my Wilson. The quality is head and shoulders above the kimber crew.

#94 ·
It's a three-way tie between my previously owned: Kimber Grand Raptor, Taurus 1911s (yes plural, gave them a second chance), and my currently owned Ruger SR1911. All giant pains in my rear.

#101 ·
I have had lots of 1911's over the years, and I really haven't had a bad one, or even one I disliked. Some that I have had include:

Randal
Norinco
Colt governments (about 8)
Colt commanders (2)
Gold cup
Springfield GI

No problems in the bunch. I have stopped buying 1911's as I figure if I keep buying them, sooner or later I'll get a lemon! This also makes my wife happy (happier).

#103 ·
sooner or later I'll get a lemon!
I finally got my lemon

RIA 9mm mid size 1911 only made it through maybe 2 magazines out of hundreds or rounds without having problems with ejection. At the shop now and waiting to get it back so I can get rid of it.

#102 ·
Absolute worst for me was an early '90s AMT Hardballer. It was horrible in almost any way you can imagine, fit, compatibility with standard parts, reliability, etc. Took a huge loss to trade it away and I had to practically beg the dealer to make the deal with me. It so substandard that every 1911 I've handled ever since has seemed like a high end gun.

#108 ·
Colt Gold Cup Stainless. Purchased on order from a small shop. Not sure of the year but it was the first year or two for stainless GC from Colt. The trigger felt like it was running in sand, the front sight was falling off, the safety barely had a detent and many things I can't remember because it was over 20 years ago. Sent it to a Colt warranty station and the smith agreed with everything I found wrong and added some stuff of his own. Took a couple visits to the gun smith and changed a couple things to make it better. Its fine now, but if I had to sell one it would be the first to go just because of the bad memories. It was the last Colt product that I purchased, the first was in 1978.

#109 ·
Worst would have to be my Kimber TLE II, but only because it's the only one that has gone to a gunsmith with issues. After the simple fix of having the extractor tuned, it's been 100% flawless. So in reality, I don't feel I own a bad 1911. They all run like a gun is supposed to.

#112 ·
It won't be long until another is needed. Just got the safe we have not Quite a year ago, and it's just about full. lol Asked the Mrs about getting another safe, and she just told me to get less guns. We both know that won't happen, though. Already have an XDm waiting for me when I get back into town, and a Springfield Professional on order. lol

#114 ·
Metro Arms American Classic II, piece of poop; When you rack the slide with a full mag the the slide stop pops slightly out and causes the slide to stick. also the mag seems not to seat proprly as the nose of the bullet will get stuck on the freed ramp. (this is with FMJ) also the grip safety sticks engaged every once in awhile. sent it back and they changed some parts and worked it a bit. they got it feed FMJs and did one Hell of a trigger job(was heavy at first) but would not think of feeding hollow points. ended up selling it. hell my Llama .380 especial has been flawless and is one of my favorites!

#115 ·
My first 1911 when I was a very young man..........A Daisy C02 BBgun.
What a "hunk or junk"
When I got it, there no mags that came with it, heck there wasn't a hole to put one in?
And the barrel?................... 1 1/2" long? I think I got jipped!
Accuracy was terrible. I couldn't hit a broad-side of a wall if I was standing in a closet. Even my little plastic army men would start laughing because I couldn't hit em in the sand box.
Not sure what I did with it eventually. I think I taped the slide to a broken broom handle and used it for a make-shift hockey stick

#117 ·
Let's add one more to the list. My Ed Brown Kobra 5 inch has had two trips back to the factory. Reason it upset so much, was the sacrifice made to pay for the finest 1911 made. Emptied out the gun cabinet, o/u shotguns, a long gun, several others, all my sock drawer hidden funds and I finally owned an EB Kobra. Few hundred rounds and it froze. Metal migrated to the inside slide rail at the slide stoop notch. $50 UPS to EB only to be told they felt I was forcing the slide stop into the slide stop notch during reassembly in such a manner that I caused metal to be pushed into the rail causing the malfunction. BS. They lapped the slide rails and returned it. It started peening again. I did a little work on the slide stop and it worked for a while. Finally sent it back for two new fitted slide stops, and EB sent it back to me with a complementary ding on the rear edge of the slide. I took it out with a very fine stone, but I still know its there. That said, the Kobra is my competition pistol, IDPA and USPSA, had fiber optic front sight put on it and I shoot it way more than my Wilson, Kimber, Colt and Nighthawk. I just expected more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.