1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-26-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjfred View Post
My first HP was new mkIII. $1100 at a gun show. Nice finish, Lousy trigger improved with an SFS modification plus BHSS optimizing ($275) resulted in FAIR accuracy.
Then I bought a SS Tisas at Gunbroker for $550. Superb fit and finish! Same lousy trigger improved with Optimizing at BHSS plus SFS for $275. Superb accuracy!

Why take a chance in today’s market with an overpriced hit and miss used browning when you can get a new high quality Tisas for half the price?

This assumes of course that your looking for a BHP type to shoot or carry, not for collection purposes.

Added note: The Tisas SS I bought a few months ago for $550 are now being priced around $580 but even then are pretty scarce.
I think word is starting to spread about their quality. I guess the “fanboy” base is growing.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rbH...CJS3l6hDQ#Home

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0191...kDseu6Cjw#Home
What make one believe that the Tisas is not also going to be hit or miss? Turkish guns are inconsistent in their manufacturing. Just because they are good today does not mean they will be good tomorrow. I would argue that FN Browning gives you a higher chance of getting a good gun. You are basing your conclusion on a sample size of one gun. I am not sure that is enough to draw any real conclusions from. The Tisas seem to be good. They seem to be selling well. I am interested to see how well they hold up to higher round counts. I can't wait for reports from owners who have 10,000+ rounds through them. I can't wait until we have 5+ years of consistent manufacturing out of them but until then if I have the choice of a true FN production pistol under $700 and the Tisas I will choose the FN every time. YMMV

People keep talking about the over priced market. The market is only overpriced because people are willing to pay more the MSRP for old new stock MKIIIs and older guns. People are overpaying. People have always overpaid. It is not just not that they have been discontinued. In the last 30 days I have seen some very nice commercial BHPs go for between $600 and $650 on GB. I am not talking about surplus guns I am talking about commercial BHPs in VG to excellent condition. The market is well on its way to normalizing. I have always been able to find VG to LNIB BHPs for under $600. I have never paid more than that for a stock BHP even after they were discontinued. The market is only overpriced because buyers are will to pay too much. If you are patient you can pay a lot less than most people are trying to sell for.

Last edited by rellascout; 05-26-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:28 PM

Also please do not assume I do not like guns from Turkey or that I do not like the Tisas. I just believe it is too early to proclaim these clones are as good or better than the real deal.

Just to prove my point that I do own a few Turkish clones.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
Also please do not assume I do not like guns from Turkey or that I do not like the Tisas. I just believe it is too early to proclaim these clones are as good or better than the real deal.

Just to prove my point that I do own a few Turkish clones.

I've been admiring those myself, & favor the way you've set them up.
Just can't afford yet.
Attached Thumbnails
29ola37.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 02:26 PM

They are just starting to come back into the country. There have been 2 shipments this year after almost none for 18 months.

I had the Z-5Rs on back order with Kelly Enterprises when someone put one the Z-5P up for sale on a local forum. So I ended up with 2.

In NC SBRing the gun has some disadvantages to it so I am leaving them braces for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
Quote:

Just to prove my point that I do own a few Turkish clones. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Just can't afford yet.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:01 PM

used mark 3
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 12-10-2019, 12:40 PM

I've owned my T-series Browning for 50 years. Recently acquired a BR9.
I have a sentimental attachment to the T, but the BR9 seems to be higher quality.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:20 AM

My consideration would be resale value. If you buy a Brand new Tisa and then decide to sell it later, will you loose money on it?

Most who shop and buy a Genuine High power seem to indicate they either make money or at worst break even. That is the reason when I had the opportunity to get my first BHP it was a genuine made in Belgium HP.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:27 AM

My 2 bits, if you find a FEG Hi Power try that as your 1st one. The only reason I bought my POS Tisa was I wanted a clone "shooter" to keep the round count on my "shooter" FN one down.

I found a FEG after I bought the Tisa, getting a trigger job done on it and in the past month I've passed up 2 other FEG's that have popped up at LGS's.

That might change after the holidays if the last one is still at the pawn shop I saw it at, and I have some extra dough in the bank after Xmas
Old 12-11-2019, 11:13 AM

There are just too many good FN/Browning Hi Power pistols--in various conditions from '..very good..' to '..like new..'--out there on the re-sale market, at affordable prices, to consider ANY '..clone..' as a 1st choice. The TISA Regent BR9 is a nice pistol...but the '..original..' is still very difficult to beat.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Why buy the cheap one when you can buy a LNIB Browning for $650 + Shipping and Transfer?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/813865477

That's a very valid point - But there are some of us who like a Stainless Pistol. In my case the ONLY browning I want can't be had for $650.
IF I see one for that - I never leave home without my credit card.
After all, nothing shabby about my plated FEG/MAUSER or Stainless TISAS HP. Love both.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:30 PM

To answer the OP- old Hi-Power, without a second thought. Reasoning - if you get yourself a Tisas and have the bad luck your particular gun to have been manufactured on Monday instead on Wednesday and to need start chasing failures from different kinds...well not the best start in Hi-Power world...

The above represents my (Slav's) opinion...

BHSpringSolutions.com - Hi-Power, 1911, CZ75 and Makarov Springs, Grips and Tools
Old 12-12-2019, 02:46 PM

I strongly agree with Rellascout and WilsonCombatRep-get a FN/Browning Mk III or Standard. You're getting a high quality firearm with a known, and very consistent component and assembly quality.

Then shoot at least 500 rounds through it to empirically determine what mods, if any, you'll benefit from (or simply desire). Rellascout's list he enumerated earlier in the thread is an excellent one.

Best, Jon
Old 12-12-2019, 06:43 PM

I own a couple dozen FN/Browning High/Hi Powers. All post WWII, all the sight configurations, most finish variants, all calibers, 30 cal Luger, 9mm and 40 S&W, a few alloy frames, several SFS pistols, so on and so on. I typically carry an alloy frame FN.
I'm sure the clones are OK pistols for the money but I gotta tell you, there is goodness about owning or carrying the real thing. And, I can easily sell mine for a "modest" profit if the need arises.
My recommendation. Buy an FN/Browning.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:53 PM

I like my T-series Hi Power, but I'd get the BR9.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:38 PM

>>>...there is goodness about owning....the real thing...<<<

Apart from a stainless steel model and available as '..new..'....Is there any '..advantage..' to the TISA Regent BR9 ??

None of this is to suggest that the TISA 'clone' isn't a perfectly good pistol. The BR9 is a tribute to the genius of John Moses Browning (who is rumored to have carved his original plans on two stone tablets carried down from atop Mount Ogden in the Wasatch range) and the innovative design of Dieudonné Saive (2nd cleverest Belgian...after Hercule Poirot) of the original Hi Power, which remains one of the most successful and widely adopted handguns since the Chinese began experimenting with gunpowder...in production for eighty-two(82) consecutive years.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:06 AM

To say that Tisas is a tribute to JMB is an insult. The Tisas in stainless looks nice...aaaaand that's about it.

BHSpringSolutions.com - Hi-Power, 1911, CZ75 and Makarov Springs, Grips and Tools
Old 12-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Mark 3 Browning
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
Just can't afford yet.
I finally gave upon ever being able to afford ANY of the H&K MP5 Clones, & after doing my home work - & evaluating the necessity of Roller Lock vs Blowback - I bought a NEW generation 2 STRIBOG, which is a knock off of the Swiss B&T APC-5 (the US army just ordered) The 9mm Slovakian Stribog
is about 1/4 of the price, & is Very well made, & IMO the ideal home defender. I like it !
Attached Thumbnails
Stribog 2 ultimatestribog__47581_1559747760.jpg   STRIBOG Stribogportraitsmall-892220.jpg  
Old 12-13-2019, 02:26 PM

>>>...To say that Tisas is a tribute to JMB is an insult...<<<

Is there some fundamentals difference(s) in the TISA '..clone..' (other than than the type of steel used in some of their 'clones') that alters the basic BROWNING/Saive design that was in production and use for 82 years ?? That this design is STILL as relevant and practical all of these decades after its creation is a glowing tribute to the men who created it. Are FM, FEG, Kareem 'clones' (or all of the other Hi-Power 'platform' pistols modeled on it) "..an insult.." to the genius and cleverness of the men who conceived and created it ??

It's often been said that "..Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.."
Old 12-13-2019, 02:44 PM

No fundamental difference. My BR9 is higher quality construction than my T-series Browning.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKSAIL View Post
>>>...To say that Tisas is a tribute to JMB is an insult...<<<

Is there some fundamentals difference(s) in the TISA '..clone..' (other than than the type of steel used in some of their 'clones') that alters the basic BROWNING/Saive design that was in production and use for 82 years ?? That this design is STILL as relevant and practical all of these decades after its creation is a glowing tribute to the men who created it. Are FM, FEG, Kareem 'clones' (or all of the other Hi-Power 'platform' pistols modeled on it) "..an insult.." to the genius and cleverness of the men who conceived and created it ??

It's often been said that "..Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.."
Haven't heard about FM, FEG, Arcus, Inglis or any other clone to break extractors and retaining plates, develope cracks in under 1000 rounds, have off center barrels... From what I know, yes there are differences between Tisas and Hi-Power. If they can be called fundamental ,depends on your personal point of view, for me they can be called "considerable".

Last edited by slav; 12-13-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:37 PM

"we never needed to create FN, FEG or Arcus "Reliability Package" because of a design issue and we never needed to chase FTEs in those guns, just like FN, FEG".

I think I'll wait on my BR9 to break before I fix it. In the meantime, it is much nicer all around than my T was when I acquired it fifty years ago. (I do love that T though, it was and is still nice).
Old 12-13-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I think I'll wait on my BR9 to break before I fix it.
JimCunn...

I think I got a good one, too. The extractor broke after I had already installed an SFS Kit, C&S Wide Combat Trigger and a Free Recoil Spring (courtesy of BHSS), but those were things I would do to almost ANY High Power I acquire. It now features its own buffered guide rod and shares a BHSS barrel. The barrel gets swapped around until I can afford four more.

It shoots great and it sure is pretty!
Old 12-14-2019, 07:09 AM

My vote would be a Browning every time, used an FEG for a while, not at the same level as my own (or issued) HPs.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Indeed pretty. There are very slight differences in frame shape between the T-series and the BR9. If I ever refinish the BR9 (blue instead of Cerakote), I will probably take that opportunity to make the frame edge detailing more closely match the T. The only visible difference that can't be easily modified to match is the vertical width of the frame taper above the grips immediately below the slide serrations (that taper is wider in the BR9 than it is in the T). All esthetic stuff rather than functional.

I do wish the frame/slide fit on the T weren't so sloppy, but it's been that way for the fifty years that I've owned it, so I guess I can live with it &#x1f642;

The T rattles when you shake it; the BR9 doesn't.

Last edited by JimCunn; 12-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.