20190308_210351_1557979178516.jpg  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 AM

Rare giant Yorkie.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi808 View Post
Rare giant Yorkie.
Since your screen name is hachi, I was expecting an Akita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachi:_A_Dog%27s_Tale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 05:39 PM

My girl is part Border Collie and part Terrier of some sort. Very very sensitive, easily trained and barks her head off when she sees something that's not supposed to be there. Highly visual. Being where I live, it's only occasionally annoying. She's about 40lbs, 10 years old and is such a great companion.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:51 PM

Oops

Last edited by hachi808; 05-19-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Since your screen name is hachi, I was expecting an Akita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachi:_A_Dog%27s_Tale
Haha! Yeah. His name is Hachi but we named him after the number 8. Never thought about the famous akita until after.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:21 AM

American Bulldog. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bulldog
Old 05-29-2019, 12:52 AM

We lost our 70 lb dog Dingo to old age last year so now it's up to..... 12 lb Izzy! She's a terrier but thinks she's a Dobe/Rott mix. Lives for belly rubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Izzy_blanket2.jpg  
Old 05-29-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrieverman View Post
All I ask out of my “guard” dog is to alert me when someone/anyone comes to my house, and our wiener dog fills the bill nicely and doesn’t eat much. I’m convinced she can hear a fly fart...
They are a very sensitive noise maker.

Even smaller dogs do fine.

Mine occasionally go off when there is a random noise from the house at night.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:02 AM

I have three Siberian Huskies. Whenever anyone approaches the house, they begin to howl like a pack of wolves. Anyone who understands Siberian Huskies, knows they make terrible watch dogs. The key is to not let those approaching the house, know that the howling pack are just that, Siberian Huskies.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazz View Post
I have three Siberian Huskies.... Anyone who understands Siberian Huskies, knows they make terrible watch dogs.
Maybe not good guard dogs, but this statement below is pretty much the definition of a watch dog.
Quote:
Whenever anyone approaches the house, they begin to howl like a pack of wolves.
They are alerting you to a potential threat (OK, we know it's just the mail man, UPS guy, kid walking to school, trash truck, neighbor mowing the lawn, ...), but you still love them.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:42 AM

The one thing I am absolutely sure of is the more people I meet, the better I love my dog...jus sayin...My girl is a yellow lab...85 lbs of cookie eating dynamite...She sounds like she will eat you whole but I have no doubt she will fold if confronted....Fortunately by that time, I am usually awake an armed so she has done her job up to my expectations.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:36 AM

For every day life I think you can indulge whatever you want. For long term SHTF scenarios I'd be a fan of mutts/mongrels/bitzas rather than pedigree animals.
Less expensive, less genetic issues/disease and generally longer lived.
Something with some herding/working dog in the mix with a smaller sized hunter or fighter blood like bull terrier would be good. Gut, brains, good immune system and doesnt eat too much when food is scarce. A big dog will be eat more than one of the kids you have to feed...
Old 06-06-2019, 09:38 PM

I like common mutts/mongrels. Cheap, resilient to disease, no genetic disorders and long lived. Some herding/gun dog blood and a bit of fighter like bull terrier/bulldog/boxer in there is good. Brains+ brawn. Not overly large, save on money/food for your kids.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:45 AM

So many watered down and poorly bred breeds that were once great. Dobes, back in the Magnum PI and prior days were great. Alot harder to find legit DObes without congenital health issues. just google dobes health issues. Within the Dobe, there are offsets - american european, which are the same but different.
Even more so Within the "German Shepherd", many variations and most what is bred in America is not the same dog it was 30 years ago.
Let's see the variations consist of:
Czech
West german working lines
West german show lines
American show lines
East German/DDR
"American backyard" lines

I have had 5 GSD's and all were working lines (mix between WG/DDR/CZECH), and 2 I imported from the Czech Republic.

Anyway, a well-bred, real GSD is hard to beat IMO. I could give a rat's ass about bite force. If the bite force wasnt there, they wouldnt have been used by the military and police for the last 70+ years.....

They are smart, most have a high desire to please their handler, and they are suspicious, and lastly, loyal.
Attached Thumbnails
Urijah Aritar Bastet 2.5 years.jpg   tori Kato 3.19.jpg  

Last edited by EB_KC9; 06-13-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteboy View Post
This is my boy Django. He guards our house & property......

Attachment 555132

Attachment 555134
He is the real deal!!
Old 07-14-2019, 07:22 PM

If guard dogs require obedience and trainability this guy (Chow) was a total fail, but I will say he had the most common sense of any dog I owned. Guarding the house and walking the perimeter came natural, I just couldn't get him to back down on command without physically removing him.

This is my Airedale Terrier I have now. Not really sure what she can do but at least she minds.

The most obedient dog I ever owned was a Lab mix. I really miss her.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Cane corso Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4096.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	559900Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4571.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	559902

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2020, 11:24 AM

Guard dogs can be any breed, but obesely a larger dog is more menacing---also, I believe the guard dog attitude is born into the dog---the "real" guard dog can also "teach" another dog to respond to strangers by barking and growling at people it doesn't know or like.
We rescued an 6-8 month old little female Pit Bull my wife found on the street---sweet, loyal and smart---we tried to find her owners as the vet told us this was a $1000+ pure bred Pit---no luck. We kept her as our two existing dogs were getting old and slowing way down. Within 6 hours our new dog had taken over all guard dog duties---patrolling our large fenced-in yard and growing at strangers who approached our house---even me until she figured out who I was! Our other dogs made it quite clear they were now "retired" and our "Lucy" (so named by my wife as she was running loose)---she was born to guard---yet if I bring in an young child into the yard, she will play with and protect that child as part of our/her property... Amazing dog---we've had her for 7 years now and she just gets better!
Old 02-18-2020, 03:17 PM

I didn't read more than just a few, so pardon me if I am redundant.
As many said, any dog is good at being a warning system. The next is if there is anything behind the bark. I have no tolerance for "toy" breeds, which is probably an unfair judgement, but is seems few small dog owners understand that all dogs need training. We have Rottweilers, and have for over 25 years, usually two. They are very alert to their surroundings, and people take them very seriously. The folks/ neighbors on either side and friends and family know that they are very gentle and friendly, unless they don't like you.
All big dogs require more commitment from their owners in training and responsibility. Very many big dog owners quickly find they are not up to the reality of owning big dogs...despite how cuddly they are small, or wonderful the well grown and trained adults appear to be. For myself, I cant imagine owning any other breed, and actively discourage folks form getting them for themselves. To follow up....
There is a very big learning curve with big dogs...much less with smaller dogs. A mutt from the kennel can be an awesome guard dog as an alarm system. You take it from there.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:57 AM

I realize that the O.P. has probably had a couple dogs live out their lifespans since the thread was started......but I have had and known many dogs in my 63 years and I can't recall ever seeing one of any breed that didn't ferociously jump in to attempt to defend a pack member in even a roughhousing "threat". That being said, I wouldn't want a "teacup" anything as a guard. I will sometime in the not too distant future be moving to some acreage and from what I have found from research the dog that I will choose as companion, alert, protector is an Anatolian shepherd.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:40 AM

The best guard dog is a goose.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:21 AM

Any dog that will wake you up so you can get to your gun if the down gets busted open. Even Chihuahuas.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:28 PM

In 2016, my Mastiff died of age.... I was without a "guard" dog for some time. I had (and still do) a Carolina Dog that is a solid alarm, and very aggressive... but at 50#, her ability to actually DO anything are limited by the laws of physics.
In late 18, at a patrol base deep behind the lines in Pineland, the subject of dogs came up, a coworker had just recieved a pair of Rottweiler pups... I'd had rots in the 90s, good, solid, loyal dogs... long story short, he put me in touch with his breeder, and late winer of 2019, I recieved an 4 week old pup- damn peer pressure and scotch...
I waa pushed back into the operator force and deployed a couple money later, and missed several formative months- I left a 2.5 month old pup and returned to a year old, 120# adolescent. The last couple months have been an interest reconditioning and bonding experience.
Fortunately, his caretaker did well with conditioning, fundamental training, and establishing both dominance and developing protective instincts. He's adjusted well to me as a new alpha, but still struggles when both the caretaker and I are present- divided loyalties. However, alone with me, there's no question. Visitor are greeted with suspicion, and then- with my approval- ignored. Without, suspicion turns rapid to hostile. Best of all- due entirely to the work of another- push button control. Regardless of what the dog wants or thinks, he obeys without hesitating....
I think there's a difference between an alert, watch, guard, and working dog.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams

Last edited by wccountryboy; 02-29-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:15 PM

Is the Carolina Dog dominant over the new Rottweiler?

Following my example of retiring last year our 9 year old Rott has decided he is retired. We will be getting a new dog soon. We've had a string of Rotties but that doesn't guarantee the breed of our next dog.