1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmm guy View Post
that showed up in the mail today. I guess that it will do.
nice!!!!!
Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 AM

Not a big knife guy but I own a Union Cutlery Ka-Bar Combat Knife and my late fathers WWII Camillus Cutlery Ka-Bar. They seem adequate for a SHTF scenario.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:15 AM

Back when Man vs. Wild and Survivorman were both running, besides spending more time in REI and Bass Pro I felt the urge to get a fixed blade knife.

I first got a CRKT M60 for my theoretical survival knife but later a Mora knife. Even though the latter cost less and isn't as robust, if I had to choose between the two for a duel, I'd make the survival knife my combat knife for being lighter and better complementing my compact hands.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 04:40 PM

If it comes to using a knife, yer doin' something wrong.
All the cool kids use a haleberd (aka poleax)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTVC25hYJaY
Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 PM

Halberds are so hot right now.

As an adolescent I was a sucker for the Highlander sword in the mall's fantasy blades store. When I could afford it, I got myself a more functional falchion from Valiant Armoury plus regular and compact katanas from Cheness Cutlery.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AT306
https://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers...s-Cutlery.html

That has to have been over 10 years now. I just haven't gotten around to some HEMA training.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
Although void of a compass, built in GPS or map/fishing line storage within the handle, I find the Ontario M9 a perfect companion for such a scenario. Itís versatile enough as is, rugged and wonít break the bank. Plus, I donít need to hunt down itís location, I always know where itís at.

The M-9 is my choice, too

Old 11-28-2018, 10:52 AM

I'm not sure it's a "Combat Knife", but a good production fixed blade "Do Most Things" knife I like is the Gerber LMF II. Very well thought out system and good value for the dollar. Worth more then it costs in my opinion.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 AM

No knife, but I do have a functional Katana.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 11-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post
No knife, but I do have a functional Katana.
Same here, but unless I suddenly find myself inside the Walking Dead universe I don't think it's really too practical. Every time I take it out to clean and oil it I'm more worried about impaling furniture or slicing myself than anything else.

For a serious use knife it's important to avoid cheap ones as well as the so-called survival knives with a compass and hollow handle. Under pressure they can break off right where the blade meets the handle. Better to go with something that's solid from one end to the other.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:53 AM

For fixed blades, I think it's still hard to top a 7" Ka-Bar. For those uses, I have a traditional issue USMC Ka-Bar, an Ontario "499" with a 5" blade, and a vintage stainless Wenoka 5" dive knife. My only serious folder is a BenchMade Auto Stryker. Those serve every possible need that I might have.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:48 AM

All the really cool kids are now carrying dedicated combat hockey pucks!
https://abcnews.go.com/US/university...ry?id=59468711

Last edited by John Joseph; 11-30-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Same here, but unless I suddenly find myself inside the Walking Dead universe I don't think it's really too practical.
LOL! My ownership predates TWD and Michonne.
(It's actually a Duncan MacLeod Highlander sword, made by the same propmaster who made the originals for season 1 of the TV show.)

We ARE talking about a SHTF situation here though, so I think it would be applicable.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 11-30-2018, 03:44 PM

Breakdown of society/TWD------> high likelyhood of combat lifestyle I would have a dedicated fighting blade and then some kind of more utilitarian instrument/knife for tool work. Maybe a hawk.

Once a blade has been used it is going the edge is going to be picking up some wear or damage that requires honing/fixing and if I had to fall back on my blade I would want it in top shape to help me scrap my way through the situation giving me every advantage in an already bad situation.

Mine tends to be a longer bladed weapon, more of a short, light sword to put my sabre fencing to better use. Can maintain some good distance and cause quite a bit of damage if one knows how to use properly. I will use my tomahawk or utility knife for camp work.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:37 PM

Two handed broad sword?

Seriously, my circa 1979 Buck General would be pressed into service.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems View Post
Two handed broad sword?
Like my Albion "Sempach" hand-and-a-half sword?:

Old 12-01-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
Like my Albion "Sempach" hand-and-a-half sword?:

ie: "This is a KNIFE!"

that's a very fine looking blade there!
Old 12-02-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems View Post
ie: "This is a KNIFE!"

that's a very fine looking blade there!
Thanks!
Old 12-03-2018, 01:54 PM

A dedicated combat knife will only be useful If you put time In to learning how to use It and learn how not to get cut to shreds by someone else who's using one.
I personally Will be using a dedicated suppressed semi-auto with 2-3 high capacity(33rnd) magazines Instead of the combat knife but, that's just me.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:31 PM

I keep one of these around along with my D2 tool steel 1281 Kabar
Attached Thumbnails
Shellelech.jpg  
Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post
LOL! My ownership predates TWD and Michonne.
(It's actually a Duncan MacLeod Highlander sword, made by the same propmaster who made the originals for season 1 of the TV show.)

We ARE talking about a SHTF situation here though, so I think it would be applicable.
Mine is a katana made using the proper old-school methods, but in China where it's a lot cheaper than ordering one made by actual Japanese swordsmiths (which easily run in the five figure range).

As much as I'd love to own a real Japanese-made katana it's just not in the cards for me. In the meantime, when it comes down to personal survival I also have this monster to fall back on:

Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:27 AM

BECKER Magnum.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:31 AM

I was in a few "knife fights" while in my teens, and I've got
several scars to remind me that I would rather be in a gun
fight. (I've had a few of those too).
Old 04-07-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainjones View Post
Hello everyone. I have a random question for yíall. Say thereís a break down of society as we know it. Say it goes long term. Youíll be using blades frequently for a lot of the survival related tasks we practice now. Would you have a ďdedicatedĒ combat knife that you didnít use for other tasks? Obviously, any blade can be pressed into any role and a lot of ďtacticalĒ knives have features that make it less then idea for bush related tasks. Thatís besides the point. Would your daily carry fixed blade be a utility/combat knife? Would you have a different one you carried to leave the combat one as sharp as possible? I know most modern soldiers use their knives mostly for utility, anyway. Am I over thinking it? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

The thing people miss out on with the whole survivalist thing is weight. Knives are heavy.

I waited my year, like every good soldier, for my Randall Model 18 Combat/Survival. By the time I got it, I realized it is beautiful and useless :-)

The leatherman tool had been invented, making other survival tools a bit underwhelming.

At the same time, combat knives? Knife combat... pretty rare. I carried a Gerber Applegate/Fairborn combat knife, a leatherman tool... and sometimes had my issue bayonet.

In the field, I have always carried a little backpacking axe for chopping.

I still love the Marine Combat knife, my favorite is my Case XX.

The entrenching tool may be the thing I would probably use if I didnít have anything else.

Now, I collect blades; I have a few Randallís and a nice Japanese sword and a whole drawer full of folders and a box full of big fixed blades...

But they are all just tools. I think if I was going to be stranded with any single knife it would be my leatherman tool and use it to fashion a bludgeon with it. But that doesnít stop me from shopping :-)
Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat22 View Post
Back when Man vs. Wild and Survivorman were both running, besides spending more time in REI and Bass Pro I felt the urge to get a fixed blade knife.

I first got a CRKT M60 for my theoretical survival knife but later a Mora knife. Even though the latter cost less and isn't as robust, if I had to choose between the two for a duel, I'd make the survival knife my combat knife for being lighter and better complementing my compact hands.

I got a Mora like that for $11 on amazon and I've been doing my hardest to kill it. food prep, chopping through bones, using it as a pry bar, throwing it, batoning 2x8s into firewood, you know that kind of thing. So far no luck! I had to touch up the edge on the belt sander but otherwise it's going strong.

kind of ruining me to the idea that I need a fancy knife. I could buy a dozen. and if it ever dies just grab another. should last a life time.

That said, I carry a Microtech Combat Troodon at work since I can't carry a gun. hope to not get into any combat with it, but it's about as solid and angry as a non-fixed blade can be.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:28 PM

my "keeder pic"

there is such a cool story attached to this knife.

I had a dream one night
I was having a friendly conversation with a Paul Bunion type mountain man who's cabin in the woods I happened to walk upon .

He chuckled at my knife and said "here's a knife, Cap"
He showed me his knife and in deep voice with a slow drawl he called it his "Keeder pic"
I intuitively knew he meant "mosquito sticker"

less than a week later I found the exact very knife in an empty rehab unit .
cleaned it up, polished all the brass and made a burl wood handle for it

..L.T.A.