Feedback on Taurus Spectrum - Anyone have one yet? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Feedback on Taurus Spectrum - Anyone have one yet?

Looking for some feedback on the Taurus Spectrum. I see that some are listed on Gunbroker and various other websites.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:08 AM
Administrator

I handled one at a gun shop today. Ugly as sin, but it felt really good in the hand and the trigger was very nice, for a striker-fired pocket gun at least. Unfortunately I don't think it's anything special in a market already saturated with Rugers, Kahrs, Diamondbacks, and other pocket .380s.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 AM

dsk, the one you handled must have been dry fired a couple thousand times. I almost bought one last week while at my favorite FFL. Brand new, never handled. It had the longest, most gritty trigger I have ever pulled. ($265 OTD.) I passed. Great LOOKING little gun though.

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

61 & COUNTING

Last edited by LEATHER NECK; 03-12-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 PM

I'm gonna get one when they can be had for $200 or under. Most reviews online and on YouTube are positive. I've read and heard glowing reviews about the trigger pull straight out of the box. So I'm not quite sure what to think about Leather Neck's statement. One man's opinion...
Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEATHER NECK View Post
dsk, the one you handled must have been dry fired a couple thousand times. I almost bought one last week while at my favorite FFL. Brand new, never handled. It had the longest, most gritty trigger I have ever pulled. ($265 OTD.) I passed. Great LOOKING little gun though.
Actually I think that's just Taurus' famous inconsistency. When looking at PT-111s I've handled ones with a really decent trigger and some that had what felt like a gritty 20-pound one. When I found two with decent triggers I bought 'em both, only for each one to develop the same malfunctioning problem and end up back at the mothership where they've been sitting for the past 2 1/2 months. I guess in some ways they ARE consistent.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:57 PM

So I picked up my Taurus Spectrum last week from my FFL. I purchased it "lightly used" off of Gunbroker for $200 shipped. It also came with an Elite no-slip pocket holster from elitesurvival.com.

So I took it to the the range this past Monday. What a fantastic little pistol! This piece was more accurate than the Polish P83 Pistol I had with me. The P-83 was extremely accurate in its own right but the sights on my little Spectrum were dead accurate at 15 yards. The front sight was a bit hard to see though. However, I took care of that when I got home with a little dab of Testors White Enamel paint.

Now the bad...I had about 10 to 15 light primer strikes out of the 300 rounds I put through it. However, all light-strike rounds lit-off successfully with a second trigger pull. After performing a Google search on the issue, I found that several other Spectrum owners have had the same problem. Some have resolved the issue by cleaning the firing pin and tunnel. Others have switched ammo manufacturers. I was shooting Geco .380 FMJ ammo. I will personally clean the firing pin and tunnel, take it back to the range and report back with my findings.

I love this little pistol. It feels fantastic in the hand (with the 7 round mag with the finger-grooved grip extension). The trigger is pretty damn amazing too with no stacking and a nice even light-weight pull. But, the light primer strikes have me concerned. If it weren't for the light primer strikes, I'd quantify this pistol as the best compact / pocket pistol I have purchase recently. As of late, I have purchased a Bulgarian Makarov, Polish P-64, Diamondback DB9, Diamondback DB380, Star BM (largest of the group) and Polish P-83.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:57 PM

Thought I'd post an update on my Spectrum. I have roughly put about 600 - 700 rounds through my Spectrum. It still has the light primer strike issue along with the slide being forward offset to the frame. This offset is similar to that of a 1911 that has a poorly fitted slide.

Apart from the above two issues (I can live with the slide/frame offset), I so badly want to love this little pistol. But...the light primer strikes are holding me back. I use it to shoot steel silhouettes at 15 yards. It is the most accurate ultra-compact pocket pistol I have ever shot.

I've attached a video I made of my Spectrum failing the pencil test. This shows how weakly the firing pin hits the primers on chambered rounds. So far I have tested Geco and Remington UMC .380 ammo in this pistol. Both have had light primer strikes.

https://youtu.be/c_0E4Zgs7C0

Last edited by Martensite; 06-01-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:36 PM

Here's a pic of a light primer strike (all my brass looks like this).

I'll be honest, I joined the TaurusArmed.net forums to help figure this out. Those guys are useless. Half the folks responding to my posts don't even own a Spectrum. In addition, their Moderators are very sensitive. One of them went postal on me because I posted the word "***t" with the asterisk in place. I was responding to a thread about Taurus Customer Service at the time. A forum member had complained that when he got his pistol back from them it still didn't function correctly. I responded back with "Sounds like Taurus didn't do ***t" and almost got banned. Some of those mods over there need to put their big girl panties on...

Anyways back to the pics...first a picture of my Spectrum:

Typical primer strike (light):

Shooting steel at the range. Soooo much fun with this little gun.

Last edited by dsk; 07-12-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 PM

Called Taurus today. Decided to send my Spectrum in for repair for the light primer strike issue. Was on hold for 20 mins and finally reached a Rep. They emailed me a FedEx shipping label and the gun is currently on its way back to Taurus. Easy-peasy. I'll summarize what they replace/fixed once I get it back.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:37 PM

Welp...Taurus received my Spectrum. The wait is on...

Old 07-01-2018, 10:27 AM

Welp...Taurus has officially acknowledged receipt of my pistol. Now the wait begins.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:00 AM

is there some spec on primer-strike-ignition-energy?

I have asked this many times

how much impulse energy is required to
light-off a small pistol primer

please be specific

Kahr blames the ammo.
the ammo blames Kahr
who doesn't get this?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:30 AM

I think it is based on the thickness of the metal of the primer (how hard the primer is), the power of the firing pin spring (stored energy) and the "depth" of the primer hit.

Sorry I can't be more specific...
Old 07-05-2018, 01:06 AM

Not a Spectrum, but a revolver - bought it new and it was gooched from the factory - STUPID me didn't examine the gun close enough at the dealer. Barrel was drilled off center! So the fixed sights were way off, but the barrel itself was offset to one side a good 1/16" of not more. MY fault for buying it. So, had it 2 days, called Taurus - took a while to get them to accept responsiblity, but they finally did and sent call tag. After SEVEN MONTHS of waiting on it, I finally called and yelled. Gun was sent home a week later. Did they fix it? Yeah, they TWISTED the barrel shroud so the sights lined up. So they may fix it, or they may half ass it just to get back to you. I have had a LOT of GOOD Taurus firearms, this one is the first not great one.... and again, my fault for not examining it at purchase. Best of luck with yours.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
I'll be honest, I joined the TaurusArmed.net forums to help figure this out. Those guys are useless. Half the folks responding to my posts don't even own a Spectrum. In addition, their Moderators are very sensitive. One of them went postal on me because I posted the word "***t" with the asterisk in place. I was responding to a thread about Taurus Customer Service at the time. A forum member had complained that when he got his pistol back from them it still didn't function correctly. I responded back with "Sounds like Taurus didn't do ***t" and almost got banned. Some of those mods over there need to put their big girl panties on...
Ummm... I hate to say this but this forum doesn't allow profanity either, not even hiding a letter or two with an * unless there's not enough there for a young child to figure out what it is. I know we're all grown men and probably say even worse when we're at home, but this is a public forum and the content is supposed to be family friendly.

And yes I've read the threads on that forum several times when I was looking for a solution (or at least pinpoint the problem) on my PT-111s. I found a few guys complaining about the same problem but nobody ever answered them, or if they did the suggestions were useless like "did you clean it properly?". Having shot firearms for 30+ years I don't need somebody telling me I don't know how to clean a gun, or use the right ammo, or hold it properly while shooting, or that I need to try a different magazine (I have several). I need to know why two identical, new firearms with no obvious defects are suddenly malfunctioning on me.

Last edited by dsk; 07-12-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblur View Post
Not a Spectrum, but a revolver - bought it new and it was gooched from the factory - STUPID me didn't examine the gun close enough at the dealer. Barrel was drilled off center! So the fixed sights were way off, but the barrel itself was offset to one side a good 1/16" of not more. MY fault for buying it. So, had it 2 days, called Taurus - took a while to get them to accept responsiblity, but they finally did and sent call tag. After SEVEN MONTHS of waiting on it, I finally called and yelled. Gun was sent home a week later. Did they fix it? Yeah, they TWISTED the barrel shroud so the sights lined up. So they may fix it, or they may half ass it just to get back to you. I have had a LOT of GOOD Taurus firearms, this one is the first not great one.... and again, my fault for not examining it at purchase. Best of luck with yours.
A prospective gun buyer shouldn't be having to look for obvious cosmetic flaws like that. That's like buying a new car and being expected to crawl underneath to make sure the transmission and drive axle line up with each other. And yes many gun companies couldn't care less if their products look decent as long as they still work. That's why many of them refuse to warranty finish flaws.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Now shows waiting on parts...

Old 09-13-2018, 09:27 AM

I like the Spectrum so much...I bought another one while my first sits at Taurus awaiting repair. Got it for $129 shipped (incredible price) from Brownell's. They had a sale on the "Torch" model a couple of weeks ago. Has had two light primer strikes out of 200 rounds so far. This was with Russian Barnaul bi-metallic cartridges that use Berdan primers. I've also shot Remington UMC from the same lot that had multiple light strikes with my other Spectrum. Not one single light strike with Remington ammo with the new Spectrum. Overall, very pleased with this pistol.

Last edited by Martensite; 09-13-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:19 AM

You are likely looking for something like 1.84 in-lbs of firing pin energy to reliably ignite a primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excess3 View Post
I have asked this many times

how much impulse energy is required to
light-off a small pistol primer

please be specific

Kahr blames the ammo.
the ammo blames Kahr
who doesn't get this?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:41 AM

Well...after 4 months...it's on its way back to me.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:51 AM

Late to this party

I have only fired mine with about five varieties of ammunition, it chambered, fired, and ejected all. Shot reasonably soft, sights are usable, but marginal. I need to shoot mine more and will soon. My son has one too, and has shot his a lot more than I have and is carrying it regularly.