Supergrade unplugged - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-30-2017, 06:48 AM

Supergrade unplugged

Meanwhile many of you know about the "Photobucket blooper".
Millions of photo links broken and an expensive ransom to have them working again.
Unfortunately, I also was a Photobucket user/customer and many of my photo links in this forum are broken.
Since I don't have modify rights to my former threads, there's nothing I can do to re-link the photos.

Therefore, Grandpas50AE and I decided to open a new thread with the Supergrade(s) photos.

In case you want to read the former comments, these are the links pointing to the older threads:

Supergrade Unplugged: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=417494
Classic Supergrade, Baron blued: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=488324
Supergrade dressed: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=420268
Classic Supergrade ready for action: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=497787
CQBE Turnbull/Challis eye catcher - https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=430679
Classic fashion show - https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=494081
Ultralight Carry - Visual tour Part 1 - https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=454697
Ultralight Carry - Visual tour Part 2 - https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=454770

And if you want to see some photos of other Wilson 1911 models or other 1911 brands,
here's the link of my photos collection: https://birdy.imgbb.com/albums?sort=date_desc&page=1

Enjoy!

PS: Some clever developers made a browser extension that allows to see the broken Photobucket photos:
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...hotobucket-fix
Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg
Or search for “Photobucket Fix Extension”.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:49 AM

Wilson Combat Classic Supergrade, 9 mm Stainless, 2012 Model
  • 9 mm bull barrel
  • Stainless steel, satin (rounds) and brushed (flats) finish
  • Fluted barrel
  • Fluted chamber
  • Flush cut reverse crown barrel
  • Countersink slide stop
  • French walnut grips with sterling silver grip medallions
  • Gold bead front sight
  • Serrated rear sight blade (made by Alchemy Custom Weaponery)

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=417494
Old 12-30-2017, 06:50 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2017, 06:51 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:51 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:52 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:52 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:53 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:54 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:54 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:55 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:56 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:56 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:57 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 06:58 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 07:00 AM

Wilson Combat Classic Supergrade, .45 ACP Turnbull blued, 2013 Model
  • Standard Supergrade config +
  • Turnbull charcoal blue high polish complete pistol
  • Nitre blue small parts
  • Solid medium trigger, nitre blue
  • Grip screws, torx head, nitre blue
  • Countersink slide stop
  • French walnut grips with sterling silver medallions
  • Gold bead front sight
  • Lo-mount adjustable rear sight with Battlesight blade
  • Omit front cocking serrations on slide
  • Flush cut reverse crown barrel
  • Flute chamber
  • Ball endmill cuts
  • Heavy machine chamfer on bottom of slide
  • Thumb safety, ambidextrous, wide
  • Flat recoil spring update with GI plug
  • Challis mammoth tooth grips

Photography
All photos made with a Canon EOS 6D and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens.
The lighting comes from a 100W/3200K LED lamp mounted on a parabolic silver/black umbrella with a white diffuser.
I used some black, white and silver deflectors to form the light. For instance, the black background is blackened
by using one black deflector. To avoid having fingerprints on the gun by manipulating it, I wore one silk glove on my left hand.
Gun preparation as usual by fully disassembling it and meticulously cleaning all parts and reassembling it without lubing anything.
I digitally post processed the photos using Aperture and Pixelmator.

Nitre blue
This is an aesthetically pleasant option. The blue on the photos is natural
(as long as playing with the light to reach this level of saturation can be qualified as natural).
If you plan to use and clean the gun, be aware that the blue on the narrow rounds and edges
will melt as fast as a snowball in hell. The parts will then have a mixture of blue, purple and gray.
I digitally restored some worn portions of the thumb safety, the slide stop and one lateral side of the grip safety.
I left them untouched on the hammer, the back of the grip safety and the one piece magwell.
Maybe in combination with a CCH frame, a worn blue would look nice.
I don't regret having this option on one gun, but since I'm shooting all guns, I'm not going to choose it again.

Brian Challis mammoth tooth grips
Some of you already have seen pictures of Challis mammoth tooth grips on this forum and on his Facebook page.
What makes this very special pattern is that they are made of the molar. Mammoth ivory comes from the incisor (tusk).
The genesis and development of this project makes for an interesting story. Here are a few highlights:
June 2013, I asked Mr. Challis if he would like to work on a mammoth molar and he accepted the challenge.
I did some research to find a good supplier and finally I sent him the mammoth molar.
This was the easy part of the story...
It was very interesting for me to be informed about every step and all the hurdles such a material can present.
The most notable challenge was to find a method to stabilize the tooth in a way that would enhance the original pattern and color.
My grips didn't come from the tooth I sent him, but from the second or third molar he stabilized (he did give me credit for the grips he got from my tooth).
Different tools and tooling were required to deal with the hardness of the material. Woodworking tools were inadequate.
If there is interest, we could invite our member "Sculptor" to give us more insights about the whole process.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:01 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 07:02 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 07:02 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 07:03 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 07:04 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 07:06 AM

Wilson Combat Classic Supergrade, 9 mm Baron Blued, 2014 Model
  • Full size, 9mm
  • Mirror polish salt blue (Baron), complete pistol
  • Countersink slide stop
  • Bullet proof one piece magazine well, full-size, carbon
  • Grip screws, torx head
  • Grip exchange: cocobolo starburst grips, flat bottom
  • Wilson Combat grip medallion, gold plated, set of 2
  • Omit slide markings (keep wilson eagle right rear of slide)
  • Laser etch wilson combat logo on left rear of slide
  • Artwork, laser engraving, special art, left side of dustcover | Edwardian Script ITC font | Supergrade
  • Artwork, laser engraving, special art, right side of dustcover | Edwardian Script ITC font | Wilson Combat
  • Front sight gold bead
  • Lo-mount adjustable rear sight, battlesight blade
  • Omit front cocking serrations on slide
  • Flush cut / reverse crown barrel
  • Ball endmill cuts
  • Flute barrel
  • Flute chamber
  • Bull barrel upgrade, full-size
  • Heavy machine chamfer on bottom of slide
  • Flat wire recoil spring upgrade, full-size
  • Bullet proof thumb safety upgrade, ambidextrous, wide, carbon
  • Customer specified trigger pull weight: 3.0 lbs
  • Extra fitted and finished extractor on checkered rear of slide
  • Reverse plug, closed with collar (mirror polish and blueing by Alchemy Custom Weaponry)

Additional grips
  • Challis mammoth tooth grips
  • Challis spalted Oak grips

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=488324
Old 12-30-2017, 07:06 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 AM

Old 12-30-2017, 07:08 AM