Don Williams custom Hi-Power - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 11:36 AM

Don Williams custom Hi-Power

Hi-Power home. A ton of C&S parts, Ghost Arrow serrations on top, KKM barrel, Heinie 8's, weld on Beavertail, IonBond Diamond Black, Spegel Delrin grips, C&S Magwell, welded rails and fitted, too much to list.
Don hit a home run!
Mark II 9mm, was NIB when it hit the bench.

Last edited by Intercessor; 05-14-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:41 AM

It's weird to see a beavertail on a High Power. Nice gun though :-)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun Shooter View Post
It's weird to see a beavertail on a High Power. Nice gun though :-)
I know what ya mean! Have large hands and the Hi-Power gives me hammer bite, so this was the solution!
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 12:17 PM

Love his thumb safeties. Very nice. That is an heirloom.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:22 PM

A beautiful gun.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:31 PM

Very nice. I am a fan of his safeties as well.
I was just looking at the magazine wells from cns a few days ago. If you ever have the grips off and have time to snap a pic of the distance outside of the frame that the magwell sits, I would appreciate it. I wonder if one could be attached to an aluminum frame...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Don Williams

Wow. Once again Don W shows his work is truly amazing. I can't wait to own one of his from start to finish. He has done some work for me in the past and one of the true gentleman in the business today.

Last edited by mlg; 05-14-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:00 PM

Outstanding piece.
Love Don's work.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisekise View Post
Very nice. I am a fan of his safeties as well.
I was just looking at the magazine wells from cns a few days ago. If you ever have the grips off and have time to snap a pic of the distance outside of the frame that the magwell sits, I would appreciate it. I wonder if one could be attached to an aluminum frame...

C&S Magwell is welded on after the frame is cut down by same thickness. I would consult with Don since your frame is aluminum. Grips are also cut at the bottom to fit against the magwell.

Will add a picture of the magwell tonight.

Thanks for all your kind comments!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercessor View Post
C&S Magwell is welded on after the frame is cut down by same thickness. I would consult with Don since your frame is aluminum. Grips are also cut at the bottom to fit against the magwell.

Will add a picture of the magwell tonight.

Thanks for all your kind comments!
Thank you sir. I am making an ongoing list for him and my lightweight as I have time to research things. I hope he can make a matching pair of his safeties out of my sfs left and mk3 right safety paddle. The right sfs paddle is plastic, so that's a no go. I have heard of the c and s magwell being silver soldered on in lieu of welding. My metullurgy knowledge is lacking so I was just thinking out loud if the two metals can be fused somehow.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:46 PM

Old 05-14-2017, 11:57 PM

Added photos of Ghost Arrow serrations, C&S Magwell (Had Don serrate back side of it), and Ambi Safeties Don hand made.

Need to warn, the Magwell takes away 1/4", does not sound like much, but even with the high cut under the trigger my small finger does not rest on top of the Magwell, it's forced my little finger to wrap around the front edge.

If you have small hands you're gtg, my hands are big, I didn't realize 1/4" was much, but the P35 is petite and this single issue will most likely force the sale of the pistol before it's ever fired.

Last edited by Intercessor; 05-15-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:10 AM

Beautiful work, done by a master. Looks like you have everything you could want there.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:34 AM

Intercessor - good luck with your sale if you go through with it. Afraid you'll have to give up some of your investment to move it.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercessor View Post
Added photos of Ghost Arrow serrations, C&S Magwell (Had Don serrate back side of it), and Ambi Safeties Don hand made.

Need to warn, the Magwell takes away 1/4", does not sound like much, but even with the high cut under the trigger my small finger does not rest on top of the Magwell, it's forced my little finger to wrap around the front edge.

If you have small hands you're gtg, my hands are big, I didn't realize 1/4" was much, but the P35 is petite and this single issue will most likely force the sale of the pistol before it's ever fired.
My guess is that you would take less of a loss just having the front lip of the magwell machined flush and stippled. I have one gun from Don and another soon (fingers crossed) to be finished so I have an idea what you have into it cost wise. Unless you have a friend who wants it I don't expect you'll get close to even on a public sale.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:33 PM

Beautiful BHP - My next one is going to Don...WOW!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:35 PM

Intercessor, I've visited with Don a few times and he has done some good work for me. A real gentleman to work with, but you already know that. I wasn't going to comment, but since you mention the mag well. Looking at the photos, that's the only thing that gave me pause. Almost looks huge and out of place on a Hi Power. We've all probably seen the really Huuuge mag wells on competition guns. But if not for some type of open competition, not so practical IMHO. Don't think that mag well would work for me either. Good luck whatever you decide to do with it. I realize that pistol required a sizeable investment.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
Intercessor, I've visited with Don a few times and he has done some good work for me. A real gentleman to work with, but you already know that. I wasn't going to comment, but since you mention the mag well. Looking at the photos, that's the only thing that gave me pause. Almost looks huge and out of place on a Hi Power. We've all probably seen the really Huuuge mag wells on competition guns. But if not for some type of open competition, not so practical IMHO. Don't think that mag well would work for me either. Good luck whatever you decide to do with it. I realize that pistol required a sizeable investment.
While it might not help the OP, a good size radius machined on the front side of the magwell should allow for a better grip. A very nice piece though and makes me look forward to seeing what Don has done with mine.

Last edited by mcs1564; 05-18-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:36 PM

I sent my Detective to him this week, cant wait to get it back
Old 05-24-2017, 09:35 PM

OP that is unfortunate about the magwell. It does look like it extends quite far past the front strap. I wonder if you could have the front of the magwell blended more to make it more comfortable for you. Like in this picture of build from CnS I stole from the interwebs. It looks as if it is not as far out as yours.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Don has done a couple of HP for me, and a 9MM Colt 1911. He is a pleasure to work with, and his work is outstanding. I know that you will enjoy shooting yours.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisekise View Post
OP that is unfortunate about the magwell. It does look like it extends quite far past the front strap. I wonder if you could have the front of the magwell blended more to make it more comfortable for you. Like in this picture of build from CnS I stole from the interwebs. It looks as if it is not as far out as yours.

Same C&S part, they may have used a different profile back then, or modified the profile from the stock part. I'm not sure, but is interesting.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:30 PM

What ever became of this? Did you have the mag well reprofiled?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2018, 01:19 PM

Don does nice work. The gun I carry most is an alloy-framed hi-power that he did for me several years ago
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:28 AM

Very nice OP. I really like the "subdued-not flashy" look.