Taurus Millenium Recall? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 AM

I have to do the same thing when I shoot my Husqvarna Model 1907 chambered in 9mm Browning Long . Most of the 9mm Browning Long ammo I have is WWII era and is corrosive.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
I guess I'm more worried about the toxic chemicals in starter fluid/ brake cleaner/ electronic cleaner as often times I don't wear gloves and am worried about absorption through the skin. Looking at the SDS (Safety Data Sheets) for them, there is some pretty nasty stuff in each one. My logic is that Isopropyl alcohol is pretty safe stuff, especially since it is used as "rubbing" alcohol. I just want to stay away from 70% and 91% Isopropyl as they each contain 30% and 9% water respectively...which is why I went for the 99.9% version. I don't think 0.1% water is going to hurt anything.
That's a good strategy with the alcohol - I might try it next time. BTW, the water won't be a problem. The alcohol makes it evaporate quickly. If you were still concerned you could use a spray lube that also displaces water.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:45 AM
Administrator

WD-40 is a godsend for anyone who shoots blackpowder firearms. As soon as I've rinsed the parts they immediately get soaked with the stuff out of the blue and yellow can. Aside from that though I never use it on my firearms.

Anyway... talk about a serious thread drift. Weren't we discussing Taurus guns going boom unexpectedly?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Stories are stories. Unintended firings (it just went off!) are probably the biggest pack of lies in the gun world. Went off while cleaning; went off while playing with; etc., etc. I basically don't believe any of those tales because 99% of them are cover stories - you know, make up a story to cover your butt because you simply messed up and you know it. I can see Taurus doing what any manufacturer does in such cases - basically put and end to it by buying the guns back and coming out with the new model they had in the hopper anyway. You see a gun that can be made to fire without using the trigger on You Tube - you don't know what may have been done to it to cause that. Somebody shoots somebody because the gun 'went off' during loading - you don't know where the guy's trigger finger was, and BTW, what was he doing loading a pistol with several people around and the muzzle not pointed in a safe direction? There are just too many angles to these stories to accept them on face value. And once a few 'incidents' occur, people 'jump on the bandwagon' hoping to snag a big settlement.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Ask anyone in the auto industry and they'll concur. How many millions did Toyota spend chasing down "sudden acceleration" issues, when they couldn't find a single thing wrong with their cars? Of course it was impossible to prove that the idiots simply hit the gas instead of the brake pedal and were too panicked (or stupid) to take their foot off. Instead Toyota paid out the injured parties and tried their hardest to find something to fix on their cars to make it look like they solved the problem. Of course once you make something idiot-proof, along comes a better idiot.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:30 AM

Well, the recall has finally been approved, and it now includes a repair option as well as instructional material in addition to the refund/return option, so I get my pistol 'fixed' even though there's nothing wrong with it and I get to keep it!

"Eligible Settlement Class Members have options:
1. Cash Payment: From October 9, 2017 - February 6, 2018, you can file a claim for a cash payment. Upon processing your claim and shipping your Class Pistol back to Taurus, you will receive up to $200 depending upon the number of claims submitted. You will not be charged for the cost of shipping your Class Pistol. Your Class Pistol must be shipped pursuant to the instructions available on the Settlement Website.
2. Enhanced Warranty: You may send your Class Pistol to the Taurus Companies at no cost to have your Class Pistol inspected by the Taurus Companies to address the alleged safety defects. Your Class Pistol will be repaired or replaced at the expense of the Taurus Companies subject to certain state law requirements described below. There is no time limit to take advantage of this benefit. A separate claim form must be completed for each Class Pistol claimed.
3. Safety Training: Special and particularized safety training addressing the proper operation and handling of Class Pistols is available online at www.tauruscartersettlement.com, or you can request a printed copy by contacting the Settlement Administrator at 1-844-528-0180 or Chris P. Carter v. Forjas Taurus S.A., c/o Heffler Claims Group, PO Box 230, Philadelphia, PA 19107-0230. Safety Training is an additional benefit available to all Settlement Class Members."

By the 'training' I believe they are saying there is no mechanical defect and the 'problem' has been in improper handling. I certainly believe that based on my experience with this pistol. I will also view the training materials anyway. I guess the 'repair' then must consist of installing or modifying parts to make the pistol more safe when mishandled. I don't have a problem with that - after all, even I could conceivably make a mistake.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 PM

Well, I think I spoke too soon. Apparently, there still is no 'fix', so if you send a gun in, it will be replaced with whatever they think is the closest current replacement. If I did this, I would lose my night sights and all the magazines I scrounged up for it would be of no use. Nobody will buy magazines for a recalled pistol that is simply being replaced. Plus I may not like the new pistol ergonomically.
However, a trade might be good; my night sights are about halfway through their working life so maybe that's not a big deal. And, in the final analysis, there's no reason I couldn't sell the replacement and get something I want. Food for thought, but I'm leaning toward letting them replace it which seems to be the way to extract the highest value from this deal.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:44 AM
Administrator

The early Millenium pistols are just about worthless on the market (even Hi-Point owners scoff at them), so if they're offering a newer replacement I'd take it if I were you.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:12 PM

I know - I'm balancing sending in a pistol that I like and which works fine against getting a new pistol without night sights and that takes different magazines. But hey, there's no time limit on the 'repair/replace' option. Monday is the 9th so I'll make up my mind then, maybe.

BTW; the pistols may be worthless because of the recall, but depending on how the individual ones perform, they may have a lot of value to their owners. Mine, for example, was my 'go-to' for a long time before I got a .40SW Kel Tec carbine. Assuming a pistol is reliable, 13 rounds of .45 is not to be sneezed-at. I'm still using and depending on it so I don't know if I'll ever give up a perfectly good pistol for an unknown.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Replacement

I spoke with a representative of the class action group, and she said the if I returned my pistol, it would be replaced with a newer model of the same caliber. I have a PT Millennium .45. The only .45 they have now is the 1911. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:46 AM

That's interesting - I did not know there was no .45 G2! I'm guessing they would send the closest thing they have of the same type of pistol which would be this:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=MP1
Old 10-08-2017, 10:55 AM

The thing is, if I have to take a .40 with a MSRP of $319 in exchange for my working .45, I don't think I will take part in the recall. I would like to have a Glock 23 (G3) but I really don't want to give up a good working .45 pistol for it or accept their cheap .40 for which I could only get $250 brand new. I'm not opposed to selling/trading guns but I never do that with a gun I like - it has to be something I'm not using and has no family connection or bequeathal value. The 24/7 Pro .45 ain't much but its mine and I like it, so I guess this is definitely the end of the recall story as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:01 PM

I like my Pro .45 too, but if what their rep said holds true, I'll probably send it in.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:32 PM

Since there's not time limit on the 'repair/replace' option, I'll keep using the 24/7 Pro .45 until either it breaks or the night sights fail, at which point I may as well let them give me a new pistol of some kind. Based on everything I could learn, the whole problem stemmed from mishandling the pistol - something to do with partially pulling the trigger while engaging the safety; IOW, not something you would normally think of doing. This is why there is no repair possible - they'd have to modify the whole operating system to make it impossible to do something stupid.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM

I filed my claim today. You must file a claim before Feb. 6, 2018 even if you elect the 'Extended Warranty' option which has no time limit. As I said, I have no intention of turning in the pistol at this time but I thought it prudent to reserve the option for the future.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Well, it looks like I might be trying my luck with Taurus' customer service as well soon. One of my PT-111 G2s is double-feeding constantly. Really annoying.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 AM

You might be having 'inertia feed' which causes a round to pop out of the magazine before the slide starts forward to push the next round out, resulting in two rounds in the space reserved for one. Have you tried some different mags?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 PM

Kerosene, really
Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
You might be having 'inertia feed' which causes a round to pop out of the magazine before the slide starts forward to push the next round out, resulting in two rounds in the space reserved for one. Have you tried some different mags?
I've got different mags, but I need to mark them next time I have a malfunction.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:05 PM

Correction

You don't have to register in order for the extended warranty to continue to be available. From the class action site: "If you do nothing during the 120 day claim period you will not get a cash payment, but you will still have the enhanced warranty benefit. Also, if you do nothing, the safety training benefit is still available to you."
Old 10-24-2017, 02:19 PM

Also, contrary to the information I got from the folks administering the class action suit, if you send back a .45, you'll get a PT111 9mm replacement. I just got that clarification directly from Taurus customer support.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfRange View Post
Also, contrary to the information I got from the folks administering the class action suit, if you send back a .45, you'll get a PT111 9mm replacement. I just got that clarification directly from Taurus customer support.
Get the replacement, then call them back and complain that your bullets no longer fit. I'd be interested to hear what they say.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Get the replacement, then call them back and complain that your bullets no longer fit. I'd be interested to hear what they say.
Knowing Taurus, they'll probably say "try them in your ass"...or at least imply it. That PT111 is a $175 pistol. What's the .45 run?
Old 10-26-2017, 03:10 PM

They no longer make a .45 G2. Doesn't matter. I'm not sending mine back for a PT111.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfRange View Post
Yes, they no longer make a .45 in this class of pistol, just the PT1911. They do have a .40 though.