Taurus Millenium Recall? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 03:00 PM

Taurus Millenium Recall?

Anybody heard anything about a recall on certain Taurus auto pistols (not the 1911) - certain Millennium, 24/7, etc. for drop-firing? I have a 24/7 Pro 4" .45 that I really like, and I would get it fixed if I knew what the problem is. I invested in night sights and a few extra mags for it so I don't want to turn it in for half-price as its also one of my carry guns. It's never had a problem but then again I don't make a habit of dropping loaded guns. I guess I could load a primed empty case and see if it does anything.

Should have looked before asking - found this and it doesn't look good.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...40-and-pt-247/

Last edited by 1saxman; 05-04-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Okay, my pistol is in the judgement. The latest info I could find is that they do not have a repair for it, so it would be replaced with a new 'G2' version. Since I really like this pistol and have modified it to suit me (night sights), I have decided to keep it in service. I am going to unload it and carry it empty. I can rack the slide (which is not difficult) at such time as I think I might have to use it. Otherwise, the pistol is essentially worthless at this point. I registered on the site, so if I change my mind and want to get the new pistol I can do that too. Anyone interested in this deal can go to the Taurus site, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on 'Class Action'. Follow the trail to get registered, which opens you up to additional information. They also have a video showing what is and what is not part of the class action.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:41 PM

Seems like that type of gun has issues for other brands as well from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 04:20 PM

Perhaps, but these are the future. Ruger has just released the Ruger 'American' striker-fire polymer grip frame auto. If I change my mind about owning this Taurus, the Ruger could very well come into play. But like I said, the pistol is accurate and has never failed to complete a magazine. Plus I have a little money and sweat equity in the Heinie night sights and installation, in which I was successful and didn't mar the slide! The other thing is, the reason I bought it in the first place was how it fit my hand. I had picked up dozens of pistols at shows and the Taurus PT24/7 Pro was the only one that brought a smile every time. Of course, now there are many more models to choose from and most of them come with adjustable back straps for fitting. Since I got a .40 S&W pistol-caliber carbine and put it into service, that will most likely be my 'go-to' at home, but the 13-shot Taurus .45 still has a place in the scheme of things.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 PM

The Taurus recall is kind of a weird one. I've heard both good and bad about it. No way am I sending my 3rd gen PT-145 MilPro back. For what it is, it's a heckuva .45.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:15 PM

I have both the Taurus Millennium PT111 G2 9X19mm & PT140 G2 40,nothing bad had happen with either.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:12 PM

I'm not familiar with the newer model numbers/names. You can go to the Taurus site and they have a very clear explanation of what is and what is not involved.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:02 PM

I am somewhat familiar with the situation with the Taurus lawsuit. There is a website dedicated to this very subject. Google... Taurus Class Action. The models involved are all the striker fire models prior to the G series release. The effected weapons are no longer made, Taurus is not releasing parts, including magazines, to service the effected guns. If you send the weapon to Taurus for service under their lifetime warranty, they will keep the gun advising you of same.

According to the website I referred to earlier, the law office representing the plaintiffs involving the class action advises that the final hearing on the pre determined settlement will not come to fruition until July of this year. The settlement involves Taurus to either replace the effected models with a G2, or the latest 24/7 model upon the return of the effected firearm to Taurus. The owner may request Taurus to buy back the firearm for between $150. and $200, depending on how many request the latter option. Taurus is not liable for any more than 30 million dollars, which includes the payout to the original plaintiff who was either killed or injured by one of the effected firearms discharging after being dropped.

Until the case is finalized, Taurus is not promising anything. If you call Taurus direct and ask regarding the settlement, they will ask for your model and serial number, and in turn one will be advised if the firearm is effected in the recall. It is up to you whether or not to return the gun, but without the return, no compensation will be granted, and as stated before, Taurus will not return the firearm.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:52 PM

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3867539.shtml

The recall includes 9 of their more popular models manufactured between 1997-2013, to include:

PT-111 Millennium
PT-132 Millennium
PT-138-Millennium
PT-140 Millennium
PT-145 Millennium
PT-745 Millennium
PT-609
PT-640
PT-24/7

I just heard of this today, when I walked into the local pawn/gun shop to look at a supposed Gunto WWII Japanese sword for a friend that works there - as I walked in the door my friend was explaining to a man and his wife that because of the class action aw suit he could not have any dealings with them over their PT-609.

When I asked, after they left as I was unaware of this he told me of a story of a PT-609 owner that, while re-inserted a freshly loaded mag in his Taurus, with the slide back and when he sent the mag home then tapped it to make sure it was seated, the slide went into battery and discharged the round it had stripped from the mag, shooting him in his hand, his wife in the arm and their 11 year old son in the neck, killing him.

I have not found that story yet but did find the one above........, but wait here it is:

http://www.guns.com/2015/11/10/lawsu...ng-settlement/

Glad i do not own any of these Taurus pistols.
TSRA Life Member
LEAA Life Member
Old 08-02-2016, 06:42 PM

I just finished going over my 24/7 Pro .45 and refreshing myself on the 'manual of arms' for it. After doing a few take-downs and re-assemblies, and with no ammunition in the work area, I put it into single action (striker cocked) by racking the slide. I then engaged the thumb safety and started throwing the gun around - hard. I was looking for the fairly loud sound of the striker releasing, but could not make it happen. I was throwing it down onto a carpeted floor in all aspects. I also tried it with the safety off and again could not induce a drop fire. So I'm pretty sure I'm keeping it and will continue to use it in any way I see fit.
The take-down involves the step of pulling the trigger, but bear in mind this takes place after removing the magazine and locking the slide back, which would have ejected a chambered round. Then the take-down pin is removed, the slide is released to go forward to its closed position and the trigger is pulled, which releases the slide to be removed from the frame.
Assembly is more violent. You have to get the slide started in the rails and then snap it back into position to be locked so the pin can be re-inserted. Going slow usually jams the slide.
So, you have to learn different ways with it but it is a very rewarding .45 ACP pistol to shoot, and it has the ergonomics I'm looking for. Plus, I installed night sights on it myself and did a pretty good job, so that's a consideration.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:19 PM

I got lucky and was able to get the 'real' Heinie Night Sights installed in the Taurus slide (came with the Taurus licensed 'Heinie sights) without disfiguring anything. Amazing what pictures show - I can see the wear and dirt build-up from holstering and carrying in the pictures that just doesn't show to my unaided eye. Anyway the original rear sight had to be cooked out which melted the white dots. The new sights were rather much too big so I did some careful filing with an assortment of small straight files until I could tap the sights into place with moderate force. Then I treated the disturbed area with straight cold blue to blacken it and 'rust' the sights into place. I had already put in the corrections based on field shooting. When I took it out to test, it was right on line.
I think you can see why I decided to keep it. Believe me, if I had been able to make that striker pop the gun would be outta here, sights and all. I might be stupid but I ain't crazy!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:19 PM

Took it to the range today and shot two mags of hardball. Function was perfect. Got home with it, cleaned/lubed and put it back into service. I just don't see any need to be concerned about a problem it doesn't have.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
I just finished going over my 24/7 Pro .45 and refreshing myself on the 'manual of arms' for it. After doing a few take-downs and re-assemblies, and with no ammunition in the work area, I put it into single action (striker cocked) by racking the slide. I then engaged the thumb safety and started throwing the gun around - hard. I was looking for the fairly loud sound of the striker releasing, but could not make it happen. I was throwing it down onto a carpeted floor in all aspects. I also tried it with the safety off and again could not induce a drop fire. So I'm pretty sure I'm keeping it and will continue to use it in any way I see fit.
The take-down involves the step of pulling the trigger, but bear in mind this takes place after removing the magazine and locking the slide back, which would have ejected a chambered round. Then the take-down pin is removed, the slide is released to go forward to its closed position and the trigger is pulled, which releases the slide to be removed from the frame.
Assembly is more violent. You have to get the slide started in the rails and then snap it back into position to be locked so the pin can be re-inserted. Going slow usually jams the slide.
So, you have to learn different ways with it but it is a very rewarding .45 ACP pistol to shoot, and it has the ergonomics I'm looking for. Plus, I installed night sights on it myself and did a pretty good job, so that's a consideration.
You don't pull it and hold it back - the slide won't release. Pull it and immediately release it - there will be a click and the slide can then be pulled off.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:35 PM

Another trip to the range with perfect function. I'm getting ready to clean it now. Polymer pistols are really easy to clean - blast out the lower with a polymer-safe aerosol solvent like CRC Electronics Cleaner. Do the barrel and spring as you would any pistol and use the CRC/spray lube for the firing pin and extractor areas. Lube with another aerosol like Strike Industries 'Antivenom'. Wipe off excess or blow out with air and you're ready to go.
Polymer grip frame tip; If it starts looking chalky, use a silicone spray on it like '3-n-1' Garage Door Lubricant. This stuff refreshes the polymer and it lasts.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Polymer pistols are really easy to clean - blast out the lower with a polymer-safe aerosol solvent like CRC Electronics Cleaner. Do the barrel and spring as you would any pistol and use the CRC/spray lube for the firing pin and extractor areas. Lube with another aerosol like Strike Industries 'Antivenom'. Wipe off excess or blow out with air and you're ready to go.
Polymer grip frame tip; If it starts looking chalky, use a silicone spray on it like '3-n-1' Garage Door Lubricant. This stuff refreshes the polymer and it lasts.
My choice for cleaning polymer guns is Pyroil engine starting fluid. The aerosol blasts out bits of brass, lead and powder from all the nooks and crannies of the lower frame. The ether dries really fast and doesn't hurt the polymer/plastic. Just don't spray it while working around any type of ignition source.

Last edited by Martensite; 08-16-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Don't use starting fluid to clean things. The vapors are extremely harmful to breathe in, and I swear a fart is enough to ignite the fumes. If you want a fast-evaporating gun solvent look for non-flammable brake cleaner at the auto parts store. Still bad to breathe in, still iffy on certain plastics, but at least you won't blow you and your house up.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 AM

The plastics concern is exactly why I use CRC Electronics Cleaner. I no longer use auto brake/carb cleaner on guns. Its simply too strong.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Pulled the SDS for CRC electronic cleaner. Pretty damn flammable too!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 PM

I don't smoke while using solvents of this nature, and I use them outdoors. No problem.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:22 AM

I've decided to try 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol to clean my polymer frames. I went to Fry's Electronics (only place I could find it locally). I'll be putting it in a spray bottle and using it to spritz the guts of my frames clean after pulling the slide.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:26 PM

That's interesting. I've thought of using various bulk chemicals in pump-spray bottles, like mineral spirits or Naptha, but in the end I like the forceful spray of the aerosol can, especially with the 'straw', as well as the convenience. And I can tell you this - using it outdoors and getting buzzed by mosquitoes, a blast in their direction drops them like stones. I was outside earlier and had to scrape out two mower decks before cutting the yard, and I had a can of 'Flying Insect Killer' with me. The wind was calm and it was the perfect opportunity to fog around my area and down to the ground. It worked pretty well.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
...I like the forceful spray of the aerosol can, especially with the 'straw', as well as the convenience.
I'll let you know how the pump spray works. I like the forceful spray too!

They actually had 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol in a spray can (pic below), but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $10 a can for the stuff!

Old 08-19-2017, 12:24 AM
Administrator

In my experience brake cleaner will not hurt modern polymer frames. What it WILL eat are clear plastic items like many of the Ruger 10/22 mags on the market (don't ask me how I know this). It can also damage some wood finishes. As always the usual disclaimer applies: always test on an inconspicuous surface (or a Glock) first.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:15 AM

I guess I'm more worried about the toxic chemicals in starter fluid/ brake cleaner/ electronic cleaner as often times I don't wear gloves and am worried about absorption through the skin. Looking at the SDS (Safety Data Sheets) for them, there is some pretty nasty stuff in each one. My logic is that Isopropyl alcohol is pretty safe stuff, especially since it is used as "rubbing" alcohol. I just want to stay away from 70% and 91% Isopropyl as they each contain 30% and 9% water respectively...which is why I went for the 99.9% version. I don't think 0.1% water is going to hurt anything.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Administrator

It's like each time I clean my cap n' ball revolver I use hot soap and water to wash out the powder residue. Then the race is on to dry it and apply oil before it starts to rust!