Will a 22 cal really have any value? - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: a 22 cal rifle or pistol if SHTF would be my?
22 cal would not be first choice 349 75.87%
22 cal is my first choice 111 24.13%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2015, 11:16 AM

You can kill just about anything with a well placed shot to the head
Old 12-11-2015, 10:53 PM

For small game. Putting meat on the table.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 12-12-2015, 05:17 AM

a good .22lr pistol, with lots of ammo at hand, will be a force that i'd be intimidated to reckon with, red dot or not. and to talk the silly talk, zombie head shots at 10 yards would be like shootin fish in a barrel

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 10:01 AM

I think more about feeding everyone. Rather than waste bigger calibers on game.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:12 PM

Skills, and the tools to use them will always be worth more than anything else. Learn a new skill, share what you know with others. Be a good neighbor. Then, when it hits the fan, be as ready as you can. And good luck to all.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:21 AM

If you read the books on TEOTWAWKI like One Second After and One Year After, or Lucifers Hammer or Alas, Babylon, not that they have the ability to tell the future, but they do present some logical approaches to human dynamics, how folks may react. One thing is constant is that 22's were valuable in gathering food which was the next huge challenge. In several books mentioned, 22 shells were used as currency.

So the poll may be a bit off. The title said will it be of value, but in actuality, asks if it is your first choice. I think, yes it is my first choice. Its just not my only choice.

Last edited by fast eddie; 12-13-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Banned

A .22 definitely always has value and would indeed be ONE of my choices but as to whether or not it would be my "first choice" is entirely dependent on the specific set of circumstances.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
A .22 definitely always has value and would indeed be ONE of my choices but as to whether or not it would be my "first choice" is entirely dependent on the specific set of circumstances.
This is what I was thinking.
George MacDonald
Old 12-14-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
I used to keep a .22 take down and a brick in my plane, just in case I could walk away from a forced landing (aka crash) in a remote area. I also would have had an edc handgun with limited ammo.
^^^This^^^
Only I'd stay with the wreckage if possible---it gives searchers a bigger target to look for.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:29 PM

For a true SHTF scenario, learn to make black powder, scrounge lead for melting, get a mold or two and flintlock.
That's how your great-great grampas did it.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Banned

Who knew that a cache of a million .22 rounds might make one the holder of the greatest currency in a disaster situation? Wish I had stocked THAT away instead of monetary investments.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:42 PM

The USAF thought highly enough of the .22 lr to include them in their aircrew survival kits.
Outside of wilderness survival food gathering scenarios the little .22 still has value---

Dispatch livestock for slaughter
Pest control
Beats using your fists against an attacker
Maintaining shooting proficiency without burning through expensive center fire ammo
Provides some feeling of security during times of civil strife when LEO resources are being taxed.
Training others to shoot.

Hey all this stuff is why the .22 is useful in real life outside of your paranoid disaster scenarios!
Old 12-16-2015, 02:45 PM

in a short barrel pistol and fired at 10 feet through 4 layers of denim into ballistic gel, a typical .22lr will not expand but it will have some serious penetration. i don't take the little bugger as inferior to a .38spl and upwards, it's still a deadly cartridge for certain applications.

ruger sr22 w/3.5" barrel, cci stingers @ 10 feet ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVY4gT5P20
Old 12-16-2015, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
in a short barrel pistol and fired at 10 feet through 4 layers of denim into ballistic gel, a typical .22lr will not expand but it will have some serious penetration. i don't take the little bugger as inferior to a .38spl and upwards, it's still a deadly cartridge for certain applications.

ruger sr22 w/3.5" barrel, cci stingers @ 10 feet ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVY4gT5P20
On something as big as a person, hitting them in the body (unless you get lucky with a heart shot) will most likely result in them dying an hour or so later due to internal bleeding. Which while they are in fact dead, hardly qualifies as viable for self defense since they would still be able to kill you before their demise.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
On something as big as a person, hitting them in the body (unless you get lucky with a heart shot) will most likely result in them dying an hour or so later due to internal bleeding. Which while they are in fact dead, hardly qualifies as viable for self defense since they would still be able to kill you before their demise.
i totally agree.

the sd weapon of choice is based on more than a few factors, choose wisely.

while a .22lr pistol may not, is probably not, a good choice for me or you, it could be the right choice for someone who truly isn't capable of handling a 9mm let alone a 45acp.

point a gun at most people, gang bangers included, and it will usually be intimidating, as will those few stings of 40 grainers zipping through their bodies, ricocheting off bones and tumbling through guts.

yeah, there's always the chance a zombie will not even feel those stings and continue to attack. that's a calculated risk. but i believe that's a lower risk potential for anyone, and a risk that some people will feel ok about as that sr22 was far more comforting and usable than a pocketbook or fist.

ymmv, and that's cool, too.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:34 PM

I been thinking about the 22cal, shorts, longs, long rifle and WMR to put meat on the table for years if need be. But recently I'm thinking a pellet gun or co2 BB gun would work too.
Save ammo. Plus it's quiet.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:31 PM

Well I think that .22 rimfire guns are plenty useful.

But if you are up in your hooch hunkered down with your .22 auto, suppressed whatever. If you have something that I want. It will not be that difficult for me to get it.

Just sayin.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01746.JPG  
Old 01-14-2016, 01:58 PM

It's not the gun but the person behind it.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:38 PM

Any rifle, shotgun or handgun that's available when people need it will have a value.

Its utility just goes up even more when there's an emergency (natural disaster, violent crime or during civil unrest), when gun itself is reasonably priced, when the ammunition it fires is ultra-common and fairly inexpensive (I know that .22LR isn't as dirt cheap as it once was, but it's still less expensive at .05 to .20 cents a rd than the other common calibers such as 9mm, 7.62x39, .223 or 12 ga) and almost every gun owner has one.

Plus even forgetting about hunting for food as a means of survival or as a lower cost training tool and just focusing on using it as a primary means of defense a .22LR round to the torso or the head isn't something to sneeze at.

Because of their low cost, accuracy, complete lack of recoil and low noise they can make for an adequate means of home defense for some segments of the population who might not otherwise be armed.

For instance my mother is 73 years old and is unable to shoot larger caliber pistols or rifles, most of this is due to decreasing hand strength. She can however shoot .22's without issue. Against burglars or home invaders that's much better than colorful language, hard looks or a clenched fist that has arthritis in it. Half a mag of CCI from a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 into the sternum or the face down a hallway will stop most people.

http://youtu.be/rmWVZNZF9kE

For some people that might be all they have due to their finances.

Some shooters today also tend to overestimate how many gunshot wounds the average bad guy will soak up and still keep shooting or attacking. Most of the GSW patients I've had over my career didn't want to do anything other than cry/moan, self splint in a position of relative comfort and occasionally pee/crap on themselves regardless of what they got shot with.

Fortunately the number of bad guys with a Scarface/Tony Montana-like ability to stay on their feet and keep shooting or physically attacking after sustaining a mortal wound like Michael Platt or Raymond Maddox are rare. That's why we hear about them occasionally, because they almost never happen and its newsworthy.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM

.22LR is a near perfect caliber for shooting fans. Anything larger would be overkill.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
.22LR is a near perfect caliber for shooting fans. Anything larger would be overkill.
Ah, but if you shoot your fan, it won't keep you as cool!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
Ah, but if you shoot your fan, it won't keep you as cool!
Nor will it continue to fling sh!t all over the place
Old 01-15-2016, 07:43 PM

In this order.

large caliber pistol
shotgun
large caliber rifle

What exactly is a .22 going to do for you that a shotgun won't. Nothing.
A shotgun will defend you and put small game on the table better than a .22.
Anyone who has had to do any subsistence hunting knows that a .22 isn't the best choice.

You take the large caliber pistol to the bank. You ask the teller for all of the money in your account. Then you go to the grocery store and buy as much food as you can haul away. Then you go to the LGS and buy a shotgun, a rifle, and more ammo. If anyone wants to give you any trouble you just say you'll just take it if they don't want to sell it to you.

Of course you will be better prepared than that but if you aren't you need something bigger than a .22 to impress people. First impressions are important.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 01-15-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 PM

I would probably take my Glock 9mm and my Oly Arms 9mm carbine.
I can't seem to find .22 anywhere and 9mm is everywhere.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheOzone View Post
In this order.

large caliber pistol
shotgun
large caliber rifle

What exactly is a .22 going to do for you that a shotgun won't. Nothing. A shotgun will defend you and put small game on the table better than a .22.
Anyone who has had to do any subsistence hunting knows that a .22 isn't the best choice.
You mean other than being able to . . .
• Carry 1,100 rds in two small cartons weighing only 8 pounds for both cartons.
• Allow an elderly, disabled shooter or younger shooter to use a lightweight, accurate weapon without a lot of recoil.

The .22 is actually a great game-getter if you know what you're doing and you can actually hit the rabbit or squirrel.

Quote:
You take the large caliber pistol to the bank. You ask the teller for all of the money in your account. Then you go to the grocery store and buy as much food as you can haul away. Then you go to the LGS and buy a shotgun, a rifle, and more ammo. If anyone wants to give you any trouble you just say you'll just take it if they don't want to sell it to you.

Of course you will be better prepared than that but if you aren't you need something bigger than a .22 to impress people. First impressions are important.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but what you very seem to be saying is that everyone should buy/carry scarier looking guns for the purposes of intimidation so that their robberies after TSHTF go a little easier or to try and intimidate people into doing what you want by brandishing a gun.

Was that what you're saying?

During disasters or civil unrest a thief, armed robber or looters chances of getting shot, stabbed or beat in the head with something heavy are way better than what they are currently and around here they're dying and getting jacked up with some regularity.

Might work for a little while, but that sort of thinking will get you killed eventually.