Will a 22 cal really have any value? - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: a 22 cal rifle or pistol if SHTF would be my?
22 cal would not be first choice 349 75.87%
22 cal is my first choice 111 24.13%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 AM

Shtf

22lr,223/556, 9mm and finally my 45acp.
I have at least 1000 rounds for each, 2000 on the 223 and I know at least 2 guys with over 10,000 rounds of each of those.

I routinely shoot the 9mm and 45 acp at 100 yds with 3 inch groups slow fire into a plain sheet of white paper.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Never mind....
Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn0tty View Post
22lr,223/556, 9mm and finally my 45acp.
I have at least 1000 rounds for each, 2000 on the 223 and I know at least 2 guys with over 10,000 rounds of each of those.

I routinely shoot the 9mm and 45 acp at 100 yds with 3 inch groups slow fire into a plain sheet of white paper.
10,000 rounds is ammo hoarding....some never have enough ......just saying
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 AM

If another democrat gets elected, we may all wish we had stocked up 10,000 rounds while we could afford it. I suspect it will make the "shortages" under Obama look mild.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead eye View Post
10,000 rounds is ammo hoarding....some never have enough ......just saying
10k rounds isn't much for one who shoots regularly, trains or competes... its not hard 5o burn through 1k rounds a month. Having seen more than one retail shortage of ammunition and reloading components, I've learned to aquire what I can, when I can. When I find a good deal, and have the disposable cash available, I'll buy.

When M198 was going for $1 a round or more, IF you could find it, I was shooting about 300- 500 rounds a month.

I did get caught short on my pet .22LR load ( had plenty of various other .22) and I've just been able to find it again. I've picked up 3k over the last month or so, and I'm nowhere close to done buying.

I only reload .45, but have enough components on hand- bought after the initial 2008 panic subsided- to last probably 5+ years of heavy shooting, which I haven't done in a while.

The line between hoarder and preparedness is rather blurry...I like to be able to shoot what and when I want, regardless of a market trend.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 10-09-2015, 11:47 AM

I think it depends a lot on your location. In a rural area for putting food on the table it works great.

For example, Both my parents lived through the depression when they were young, Both grew up on small farms in rural Arkansas. Although there was ammo available to buy, Most people had very little money and stretched what they did have as far as possible.

.22 was the cheapest ammo available and most everyone carried a .22 rifle everywhere they went in case the chance for meat presented itself.

The deer herd was thinned fairly early but squirrel, rabbit, birds, possum and coon could still be found throughout the whole thing although they became more scarce by the time it was over.

A few older folks or those with bad eyesight used shot guns but it was very rare to see anyone with a center fire since ammo was so expensive for them. The meat to ammo expense ratio was the most important thing in those days and the little .22 made the most sense. Home made box traps were used by every one, whether they lived in the country or in town.

My Dad never forgot how hard it was to come up with the money for a box of .22 cartridges and always kept a couple of thousand rounds stored for the rest of his life. I do the same thing, Which really helped when the .22 shortage hit recently and I had plenty on hand and it didn't affect me.

I live in the country on a small farm and the .22 makes perfect sense for me, It might not be as useful for folks in a large city or high crime area. JMO.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:57 AM

I've got a lot more components than loaded rounds and I too stockpile when I can. I make sure I have enough loaded rounds to fill my needs. If I have a match coming up, I'll load for that. If I'm going to plink or practice, I keep some loaded rounds ready to go do that. I do keep as much .22lr on hand as I can find/afford since I can't make that. At least one daughter and I shoot a couple rimfire matches a month. Had a match last month the whole family shot, 6 of us. Just now have that ammo replaced.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyk View Post
If another democrat gets elected, we may all wish we had stocked up 10,000 rounds while we could afford it. I suspect it will make the "shortages" under Obama look mild.
Thats nuts.....if ammo becomes unavailable.....thats it.. were done.
No one will shoot if they cant get anymore....end of story
10, 000
If you can't get more you're done shooting ....having 10, 000 rounde means zero if you can't shoot it.
What you're talking about is just pure hoarder mentality...
Old 10-09-2015, 06:05 PM

I never said it would become unavailable, just overpriced. How many people say they bought X number of rounds of X cailber before the latest scare for cheap. Well next phoney scare will just make it go up more and perhaps that's their plan, price us out of the market. But as long as I have ammo, I'm not done shooting.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:00 PM

Same thing too expensive to shoot = no shooting
same thing
Old 10-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Same thing too expensive to shoot = no shooting
same thing
Not really.

If ammunition it too expensive to buy for a period of time, and you have none, you don't shoot. If ammunition is too expensive to buy for a period of time, but you have a large stockpile, aquired at acceptable prices, you can continue to shoot... until such a time as prices drop or you make a determination that you're supply is too low for continued expenditures.

I probably shot more 5.56 and .45 in the year or so immediately after Sandyhook than I have in the last year. I had the ammunition and reloading components on hand in sufficient supply to do so. I haven't shot as much in the last year simply because my time has been spent elsewhere. I haven't stopped buying ammunition or components though.

I DID get caught somewhat short on my preferred .22LR ammunition, and severely curtailed my use of it. Its only in tbe last month that I've been able to find it again, and re stock.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 10-10-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Not really.

If ammunition it too expensive to buy for a period of time, and you have none, you don't shoot. If ammunition is too expensive to buy for a period of time, but you have a large stockpile, aquired at acceptable prices, you can continue to shoot... until such a time as prices drop or you make a determination that you're supply is too low for continued expenditures.

I probably shot more 5.56 and .45 in the year or so immediately after Sandyhook than I have in the last year. I had the ammunition and reloading components on hand in sufficient supply to do so. I haven't shot as much in the last year simply because my time has been spent elsewhere. I haven't stopped buying ammunition or components though.

I DID get caught somewhat short on my preferred .22LR ammunition, and severely curtailed my use of it. Its only in tbe last month that I've been able to find it again, and re stock.
Thanks, I thought is was rather self explanatory.

Shooting is a perishable skill that must be maintained through practice. That's why I maintain inventory both loaded and unloaded. I can't see the need for 10,000 rounds for self defense no matter how bad things got. But I do want to maintain my skill level when I can't get more.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Not really.

I probably shot more 5.56 and .45 in the year or so immediately after Sandyhook than I have in the last year. I had the ammunition and reloading components on hand in sufficient supply to do so. I haven't shot as much in the last year simply because my time has be
en spent elsewhere. I haven't stopped buying ammunition or components though.

I shoot a metric ton of ammo a year
when it got to 1.00 a round ( self defense ).I stopped shooting it
I bought a pallet.of 22 RF back when you could. ....I got 5,000 rounds left
Thats about a 50 cal ammo can full of loose rounds......yeah I shoot a lot
but I don't hoard it...when it is gone it is gone........
hoarders are stupid.....IMO
Old 10-12-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Thats nuts.....if ammo becomes unavailable.....thats it.. were done.
No one will shoot if they cant get anymore....end of story
10, 000
If you can't get more you're done shooting ....having 10, 000 rounde means zero if you can't shoot it.
What you're talking about is just pure hoarder mentality...
Wow! I kinda thought you were kidding at first, but apparently not.

10,000 rounds means you have 10,000 rounds, not zero. I'm not a math genius (well, actually I might be), but you don't have to be to see THAT! If I have 10,000 rounds when it becomes unavailable in the store, it means I have 10,000 more rounds than the guy that has none and goes to the store to buy some once it is unavailable. That's sort of the idea here. It also means I have 10,000 rounds of PAID FOR ammo if the feds place a tax or other abusive levy on ammo to make it unaffordable. And if they try to confiscate it? Well, I have 10,000 rounds to dispute the notion.

Oh, and if 10,000 rounds bothers you, then you would find my inventory absolutely loathsome! Frankly, I usually see the "hoarder" accusation coming from people that just have sour grapes over their failure to have thought ahead and bought ammo when it was plentiful and cheap(er). One thing I won't do, and that's apologize for having more ammo than YOU think I should have!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Let's look at the reality of SHTF. We most likely will collaps due to our financial mismanagement and in all probability it will be slow and painfull You could use use the template of the USSR collapsed in the 90's, it broke up into local regions with groups banning together for protection and economic benefit. So I looked to a place closer to home, Detroit Michigan. This my frends is our vision to the future SHTF. It appears that Detrot is well on its way to flush all but the 7 mile zone that encircles the downtown, leaving all outside of the zone to fend for themselves (they currently have limited city services). Your wits and weapons are your assets that will keep you alive weather you are in groups or alone. Some of us are suited to be in groups others to be mountian men but in any case the more life skills you posess the greater your chances. As for the mythical weapon that I would take with me.....what ever I could get ammo for or whom ever I could take it from.

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”
– Lewis B. Chesty Puller, USMC
Old 10-25-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed2death View Post

10,000 rounds means you have 10,000 rounds, not zero. I'm not a math genius (well, actually I might be), but you don't have to be to see THAT! If I have 10,000 rounds when it becomes unavailable in the store, it means I have 10,000 more rounds than the guy that has none and goes to the store to buy some once it is unavailable. That's sort of the idea here. It also means I have 10,000 rounds of PAID FOR ammo if the feds place a tax or other abusive levy on ammo to make it unaffordable. And if they try to confiscate it? Well, I have 10,000 rounds to dispute the notion.

Oh, and if 10,000 rounds bothers you, then you would find my inventory absolutely loathsome! Frankly, I usually see the "hoarder" accusation coming from people that just have sour grapes over their failure to have thought ahead and bought ammo when it was plentiful and cheap(er). One thing I won't do, and that's apologize for having more ammo than YOU think I should have!
The amount of ammo one has...is of no concern to me....it is a free country.

I was disssing a mental aberration where one can not satisfy their OCD for ammo. Hoarders.
Estate sales. ..I love them.

We all do what makes us feel good.....secure...comfortable.
push on brother. ...
Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed2death View Post

Si senor!

Then there's the next door neighbor with only a few magazines worth of ammo, if any at all, and also electrical power is out but you have fuel and a generator.

Now your next door neighbor who thinks you're a whack job for being prepared is suddenly your new best friend!

Just like ever other 'thang in life, when the SHTF, there aren't really any friends.

As far as the SHTF, i wouldn't rathole .22LR, or even 9mm or .45, although it would be nice to have some.

I'd want a truck load of every thang 12 gauge bird shot to slugs.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Administrator

A couple weeks ago I bought 500 rounds of .45 ammo at Cabelas. While perusing through the rest of the store the weight of all that ammo really became a pain (no I'm not smart enough to think about grabbing a shopping basket when I'm at the entrance). It made me realize that I could easily pack 3-4 bricks of .22 ammo for what that stuff weighed. If I'm hunkered down I want a .223, but if I have to stay on the move out in the deep woods and carry everything with me my lightweight Remington Nylon 66 and a couple bricks of ammo is looking better by the day.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 PM

Years ago, an old bounty hunter told me that his favorite weapon was a .22 rifle just for the reason of it being light and he could pack a lot of ammunition. He had done most of his work in south Texas during the 1930s recovering cattle and the men who led them astray. He preferred .45 Colt double action revolvers if close, but used the .22 for harassment and sniping.
So, applying his life experiences to this, hm. Makes one think.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:07 PM

.22lr is a fine hunting cartridge in most parts of North American bush. Shotgun is probably the most versatile hunting firearm because you can take a Grizzly with a copper slug or a rabbit with some shot, and everything in between. It's also good for two legged critters in oo buckshot. But the weight of a shotgun loadout is significant. I would prefer to hunt with a. 22lr with minimag or a. 22 magnum in a 16"+ barrel, suppressed. African hunters have been using. 22 for many years for game as large as waterbuck. Think of the Welrod and other. 22 covert close in weapons platforms. A suppressed twenty two rifle is exactly what you would want for recon in a domestic environment. If you were doing recon with a trained military foe, you would want a supressed nato rifle. Your women and children can handle it and you can carry two thousand rouds easily, what more could you ask for. Having seeds that produce fertile seeds would be critical in a doomsday scenario and keeping critters out of your garden would be the real challenge. I've worked overseas and been involved in numerous humanitarian operations and I've done recon behind enemy lines, and I've seen the system break down. I was in a position to assist and develop security to get things setup and running. Water is often the first thing to go and electricity. The store shelves will be bought out and pillaged often before the actual event. I think most rural Americans would be fine as long as you can pump water and grow a garden. The time between garden harvest will separate the survivors from the latter. Working as a community and helping each other, hunting and gathering will be required. The cities will see opportunistic criminals and they will rove the countryside to pillage, but the militias will kill them because they won't be well fed and well armed. Just like Noah Webster the founding father of standardized educational publications we will all want to be active members of the local militia. I bet they don't teach this to the children the importance of the right to bear arms... Every little war zone I've been to has one thing in common, the tyrants have all the guns. I hope we don't fall into the same fallacy here in the USA.
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding. Article VI
Old 10-26-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
A couple weeks ago I bought 500 rounds of .45 ammo at Cabelas. While perusing through the rest of the store the weight of all that ammo really became a pain (no I'm not smart enough to think about grabbing a shopping basket when I'm at the entrance). It made me realize that I could easily pack 3-4 bricks of .22 ammo for what that stuff weighed. If I'm hunkered down I want a .223, but if I have to stay on the move out in the deep woods and carry everything with me my lightweight Remington Nylon 66 and a couple bricks of ammo is looking better by the day.
Truth ........
Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
The amount of ammo one has...is of no concern to me....it is a free country.

I was disssing a mental aberration where one can not satisfy their OCD for ammo. Hoarders.
Estate sales. ..I love them.

We all do what makes us feel good.....secure...comfortable.
push on brother. ...
Actually, I re-read your post and got a better understanding of what you meant...I think. Stockpiling without intent to use, yeah that's hoarding. I stockpile because I shoot, a LOT! 10K rounds of 22lr is barely a 6-month supply. Hell, 10K rounds of 45acp may not last me much longer than that at the rate i currently shoot. I learned the value of practicing a long time ago in a land far away, and I guess it stuck. Anyway, I think I understand now where you were coming from.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:06 PM

What it comes down to is simple.

Anything has a "Value" based on its usefulness at the time.

.22lr can be "Valuable" for a number of reasons.

I don't "Hoard", but I'd gotten in the habit of shooting a brick and buying 2 bricks and dis so until I had a decent supply built up. Now that .22 is back, when I find some, I buy a brick or two when available and will continue to do so.

I also have a "Bank" account of ammo in different calibers in addition to a "Bank" account of loading supplies. (Primers, Powder, Bullets)

I don't think if it as "Hoarding", I just like knowing I have a supply on hand. It's the same with Toilet Paper. I don't just buy 4 rolls at a time.

But then we live in a rural town without a 24 hour 7 day a week store. If I wake up in the middle of the night with Montezuma's Revenge, I have a supply of TP, Imodium, Pepto and Antacids. I do not have to figure out how to do the 30 mile round trip to get it. It's here.

As for:

Quote:
This will sound crazy to many butI like the idea of bringing an old outdated obsolete M1 Garand with me. The gun is heavy, the ammo is heavy and bulky but if you hit something it will go down.
My "Oh S***" gear includes a cartridge belt with 10 clips for the Garand, two clips on the Garand Sling and the cartridge belt has a holster for the 1911 along with mag pouches for eight full 8 round mags in addition to the Marine Fighting Knife my FIL carried on Guadalcanal. I will probably grab the 1911 that's handy, which means I'd have 73 rounds of .45acp and 96 rounds of .30-06 for the Garand ready to simply sling on and ready to go.

It won't keep me "Armed" for an eternity, but it's ready to go and it'll certainly be a good
"Critter Deterrent" tool belt.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:48 PM
Administrator

If you actually go through what you buy it isn't hoarding. To me an ammo hoarder is one who has his garage stacked with cases of ammo that he will never be able to shoot up in his remaining lifetime, yet he keeps buying more. He may even have lots of ammo in calibers he doesn't even have guns for!
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:10 PM

5 bricks of .22lr hi-vel and a ruger 10/22 w/peep sights.

5# of 3F bp, 4 dozen flints, a few square yards of linen cloth, and a 28" barreled 20ga flintlock smoothbore.

a few dozen carbon fiber shafts with twin blade broadheads, a 60" hybrid longbow, a pair of 10p nails, and a roll of dyneema bowstring fiber.

any other firearms or added ammo would be icing on the cake.

Last edited by rfd; 11-20-2015 at 06:13 PM.