Who is using Bullseye rear sights on WC-guns - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 AM

Who is using Bullseye rear sights on WC-guns

Folks, TE2 is back in Berryville, and while they have it I may ask them to switch over from the adjustable combat sight to a bull’s-eye blade (this would leave me with 1 TE with fixed combat; and 1 TE with bulls-eye).

This is what I mean by bull’s-eye sight: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Lo-Mount...uctinfo/428SB/

----Anthony, does WC have a similar bulls-eye sight blade with horizontal serrations?

So my question is, which rear bulls-eye sight are you using?

And would appreciate your thoughts on any disadvantages as far as acquisition of targets/speed shooting applications (vs. combat sights) based on your actual shooting experience using a bulls-eye sight? (If you used them in any run/gun/steel/uspsa/idpa matches for example; or even your own speed shooting set-up).

Thanks,
C.A.
(Hopefully I will get some replies because it looks like the vast majority use combat sights).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-26-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:17 PM

I used flat blades before moving to battlesights. They are outstanding for their purpose and make target/bullseye a lot of fun and a lot easier than any other sight. There is no better sight for that purpose IMO.

It's entirely use case dependent though, so if you are running your gun in anything other than bullseye I'd recommend staying with battlesights due to the difficulty needed to acquire the front sight at speed with blades. That's not hype, it's real and I've experienced it. If one gun will be for bullseye go for the blade. If you'll use both for IDPA etc I'd stay with U-notch battlesights.

What's really fun is to get good at bullseye with a battlesight then pick up a gun with a rear blade and watch how insanely good your scores are.

Last edited by goaround28; 04-26-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaround28 View Post
I used flat blades before moving to battlesights. They are outstanding for their purpose and make target/bullseye a lot of fun and a lot easier than any other sight. There is no better sight for that purpose IMO.

It's entirely use case dependent though, so if you are running your gun in anything other than bullseye I'd recommend staying with battlesights due to the difficulty needed to acquire the front sight at speed with blades. That's not hype, it's real and I've experienced it. If one gun will be for bullseye go for the blade. If you'll use both for IDPA etc I'd stay with U-notch battlesights.

What's really fun is to get good at bullseye with a battlesight then pick up a gun with a rear blade and watch how insanely good your scores are.
Very good POV from actual shooting experience, it helped me with the decision...Thanks my Friend!

I do have flat blades on my Kimber 5" and used them in a match or two about 1.5 years ago. But I was still kinda new at "speed-shooting" so couldn't tell if the sights (vs a host of possible other items) were gatting the speed.

I'm leaning toward having 1 TE as fixed-combat; and 1 TE as adjustable flat-blade. Will help me decide what gun to bring to range any given day :-).

I would use the combat-sight in the speed/run'n-shoot matches.

I would use the flat-blade in 50 yard range sessions. Not bullseye perse, but shooting at a 1/4 area IPSIC plate at 50 yards, you have to take a concious second to line up the sight (I do anyway). Last year I was up to ~50% hit rate at 50y with the combat sights, perhapes the flat-blade will help me get to my 2014 80% hit rate goal.

Finally, at 25 yard range sessions, I can use either sight - should be a "blast" comparing the two sights given I have 2 TEs.

PS and the beauty of the wislon adjustables is I can always "reverse" my decison.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-26-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 PM

Sounds like a sound approach given the different use cases. I'd probably do the same. Bet you'll see an improvement with blades from the already good shooting of 50% at 50 yards behind the battlesight. Don't like it? Screw in a U notch.

Let us know.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:31 PM

ca,

I'm sticking with the wide notch combat sight for my purposes but it's nice to have choices. Tell me, why is TE2 back in Berryville? Did you have another issue?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 AM

I have a very old Wilson Combat pistol built on a Series '70 Colt that is topped with a Bomar BMCS and a very narrow front post. I really like the sight picture for Bullseye. For my crummy, aging, prescription eyeglass-wearing eyes, I have found (and this is contrary to the experience of many others, so YMMV) that I shoot that sight picture very fast as well as very accurately. I found out about the fast when I used the old Wilson gun and a Harrison gun built as a clone of that old WC pistol to shoot IDPA.

In fact, I had John Harrison build me two guns with fixed rear sights with the BoMar notch width and front sights that duplicate the narrow BoMar front that I currently use as carry weapons.

My issue with the rear sight in the link is the lack of rear serrations based on my experience with rear sights without them.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
I have a very old Wilson Combat pistol built on a Series '70 Colt that is topped with a Bomar BMCS and a very narrow front post. I really like the sight picture for Bullseye. For my crummy, aging, prescription eyeglass-wearing eyes, I have found (and this is contrary to the experience of many others, so YMMV) that I shoot that sight picture very fast as well as very accurately. I found out about the fast when I used the old Wilson gun and a Harrison gun built as a clone of that old WC pistol to shoot IDPA.

In fact, I had John Harrison build me two guns with fixed rear sights with the BoMar notch width and front sights that duplicate the narrow BoMar front that I currently use as carry weapons.

My issue with the rear sight in the link is the lack of rear serrations based on my experience with rear sights without them.
Thanks Farscott, great info on a kinda contrary view on use of "bulls-eye" sights.

Yea, I am wondering myself why wilson dosn't have serrations on thier bullsye sights. I am thinking they have a reason for this and perhapes Anthony can tell us if he reads this thread.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-27-2014, 10:09 AM

Interesting "data": I just did a quick calculation from the dimensions on the WC site comparing the adjustable sight blades of the combat vs the flat blade notch's:

The flat blade notch is only 12% more norrow then the combat notch.

The flat blade notch is 30% shorter then the combat blade. <-So this is the key difference as far as, let's call it, "speed shooting" applications.

It is kinda a double edge sword, the flat blade, even for speed-shooting kinda fources you into a more precise sight picture (potentially requiring the extra instant to achieve it). More precise is "good" even in speed shooting; traded off against that extra instant needed.

For bullseye, the flat blade wins hands down (as stated by all above). It is just so much easier on the eyes and mind to line up that wide "wide-horizontal-ledge" with the top of the front post.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-27-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM

We only offer the standard blades without serrations. That gives you the option of having the rear hand serrated if you like.

I like a fully serrated rear and a serrated front but that is my personal preference. Everyone has a different opinion on this topic.

Adjustable rear sights are a very small part of sales also so it is't something we are that focused on updating.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
We only offer the standard blades without serrations. That gives you the option of having the rear hand serrated if you like.

I like a fully serrated rear and a serrated front but that is my personal preference. Everyone has a different opinion on this topic.

Adjustable rear sights are a very small part of sales also so it is't something we are that focused on updating.
Thanks Mr. Anthony, Yep, the "small part of sales" is reflected on the WC-Folder.

-C.A.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-27-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 PM

I'm using those sights on one SG and the Classic. The serration comes from ACW.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
I'm using those sights on one SG and the Classic. The serration comes from ACW.
They look very sharp with the serrations...Did you notice a difference with your shooting?

I googled ACW and come up with ton's of stuff but nothing to do with guns...What is their long name?

Thanks,
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-27-2014, 01:13 PM

Alchemy custom weaponry. They do excellent work. Very poplar destination for Baer and all 1911's for that matter

Last edited by tarheeldoc; 04-27-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeldoc View Post
Alchemy custom weaponry. They do excellent work. Very poplar destination for Baer and all 1911's for that matter
Ah, those guys, thank you Sir.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-27-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
They look very sharp with the serrations...Did you notice a difference with your shooting?...
Not really, maybe because I only shoot indoor. But it looks cool.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Ah, those guys, thank you Sir.
I can only recommend those guys.

Nighthawk - Alchemic Falcon
Ed Brown - A very special 9mm
Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 PM

We have serrated some in the past. I believe it was a 1/2 hour labor.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
We have serrated some in the past. I believe it was a 1/2 hour labor.
Anthony,
Just got TE2 back, and looks like (I) will be changing the blade (to flat-style) after all. I had asked them to change while they had the gun (and agreed to pay for the blade). When they called about the gun being ready to ship back they said they had changed it, and the invoice I recieve shows the 29.95$ charge for the blade, but LO! original combat sight still on.

They are two-daying the blade to me on my dime - which is fine, but I don't want to muc-up this change. The CS rep said to be carefull about the springs comming out of the sight when removing the blade.

Any other tips changing the blade besides turning the screw on the side and counting clicks?
-Does the screw need to come all the way out to remove the blade?
-Is there any thing I need to do to prevent the springs from comming out?

Thanks, sorry to be such a lame-'O about this little job, but don't want to have to send the slide back again.

C.A.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Hey CA,

It's not a big deal and the two small springs are not going to jump around when you open the sight.
Regarding counting the clicks... well, it never worked for me.
I usually need 6-10 rounds to have the sight almost zeroed.

If you still need some visual instructions, I can take some pics...
Old 05-10-2014, 05:44 PM

Location: ARKANSAS-30 min.from Wilson, Nighthawk & GunCrafter Ind.
I'll take some of your pics, Birdy, if for no other reason than to see your pics! I also have a Classic Two Tone & am interested in anything I can learn about its workings.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
Hey CA,

It's not a big deal and the two small springs are not going to jump around when you open the sight.
Regarding counting the clicks... well, it never worked for me.
I usually need 6-10 rounds to have the sight almost zeroed.

If you still need some visual instructions, I can take some pics...
Thanks Birdy. Does the screw need to come all the way out?

On the pics, only if it is not a bother. We always enjoy seeing your great pics of your guns anyway.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 05-11-2014, 06:47 AM

Here we go

1. Turn the up/down (UP ⤻) screw out. You can, but don't have to remove it completely (precautional measure to avoid to scratch the slide on step 2).
  2. Turn the the right/left (R →) screw out.
  3. Remove the blade holding with your finger the spring.
PS: If you count the clicks, you will notice that they are going to stop before the screw is completely removed from the internal thread.

The other photos are for reference:
  • Up/down construction without screw, "click-nib"
  • Up/down construction open, two small springs
  • Up/down screw
  • Two blades: standard (serrated) and Battlesight, right/left screw with spring

Last edited by Birdy; 05-11-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:48 AM

Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 AM

Last edited by Birdy; 05-11-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 AM