Caspian Custom Gamble/Alchemy Arms 1911 5" - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 AM

Caspian Custom Gamble/Alchemy Arms 1911 5"

I decided to post pics of the Bespoke Full build Custom 1911 I had Built by what would be two masters when the project was finished. (Jim At Alchemy did the Pictures).

This Weapon was started By master Gunsmith and US ARMY AMU 1911 Bullseye gun Builder; Michael (Mike) Gamble. He Developed Health Problems Before he could finish it for me and recommended that Jim at Alchemy Arms Finish the build. Mike knew that this was going to be his Legacy build when he started it for me, and wanted it to be reflective of his style and soul and a perfect classic old school Combat/defensive weapon.

Jim took the weapon in after Mike fell ill and was unable to work anymore; and completed the build maintaining the old school Look and feel that Mike had intended, with Jim's Attention to detail, and incredible quality of work he is justly famous for. Jim was able to get the work completed so that Mike was able to See, Inspect, and Approve of Jim's work before his passing. Mike Said of Jim, "He is the New generation of 1911 masters." Mike died 2 weeks ago of Sudden Cardiac Death.

This is a Testament to two generations of Master 1911 Custom Smiths, with the older generation passing the torch to the next and being fully satisfied with the results...A case of the student becoming the master.

I will miss my Good Friend Mike; may he find the rest he so richly deserves, He was proceeded in death by his Wife and Daughter in an air crash.

I wish to thank Jim and those at Alchemy Arms for taking the time (often after hours and on weekends), to see that this Weapon was completed so that Mike could see the project to completion and it become my Carry weapon as he intended. Both Mike and Jim are and were Kind, Compassionate, Gentleman. The weapon is so much more than I could have hoped for. From the rest at 50 yards it shoots groups that are scary small...and it is dead Nuts reliable as well. It sits on my Hip everyday as a tribute to the artistry of these two gentlemen.

Endoguy
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0131.jpg   Frontside.jpg   Muzzleshot.jpg   safety.jpg  

Last edited by EndoGuy; 09-07-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:49 AM

Very nice 1911. With two sets of skilled hands building it I am sure it's a great shooter. Best of luck.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:48 AM

Beautiful gun. Jim and his family were passing through Little Rock earlier this year, and we met up for brunch. He's just as nice as he is talented, and it was fun getting to know the person behind the hands that were working on my custom build. I'm hoping to meet Rob face to face in the foreseeable future as well.
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM

I'm sorry to here about your friend Mike. May he rest in peace.

Buying a pistol out of the gun case at a LGS doesn't come with a story like yours. You have something special there.

Happy shooting.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:21 PM

Prayers for Mike and his family.

Story and gun...impeccable. Pistol unembellished yet stirring...
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Endo,
It was an honor to be chosen for this project. Never having met Mr. Gamble I am humbled that he had seen Alchemy's work and that he chose us to finish your dream gun. I am very pleased that he was able to see and hold the finished project before his passing. I hope you get many years of faithful service out of your Gamble/Alchemy 1911.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:27 PM

That is a beautiful pistol!
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S, EDC X9 Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Old 09-08-2013, 03:47 PM

Mike had just finished with the gathering of the parts and fitting the slide and Frame as well as breaking some of the edges and cosmetics when He suffered the Fall that resulted in the chain of events that lead to his Death.

Jim At Alchemy did the lion's share of the work, and with each conversation he made sure to keep in mind Mike's original Intent and Idea's often with me Calling him back after discussing the matter with Mike. Mike was a devotee of using original NIB GI 1911 Spring steel Extractors on his builds because they were the right material for the job and that is what JMB wanted. Jim and I had an interesting conversation the day after he fit the Extractor and the EGW firing pin stop. Being a Professional myself; I know how hard it is to pick up someone Else's torch and run with it and not completely turn it into your own project. It shows the heart of a true master to be able to do so with such elegance as Jim demonstrated during this project. Of course we did infuse the whole project with Jim's touch and style...Mike was so very impressed with Jim and his work and was unabashed when he showered his praise on it.

I must also thank Dave Severns who rushed through the Hard Hat treatment in what seemed like record time. Another testament to the brotherhood that lives within the small group of 1911 Masters.

I am the luckiest man alive to have the touch of two masters on my dream Gun Project...Now I will have to Let Jim do another for me that reflects his whole heart and soul and philosophy...

Endoguy

Last edited by EndoGuy; 09-08-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Endo.....first of all, sorry for the loss of your friend. Second, congratulations on your pistol. Very nicely executed by your buddy Mike and Jim at Alchemy. Obvious tip of the hat to Jim for doing such a nice job with a project started by your friend.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Beautiful build, sorry about your friend.

pretty much exactly what I want to do with my first build. Everything you need, nothing you don't.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like a great pistol and one that'll be cherished as a tribute to a friend that has gone to his reward. Thanks for sharing the story.

Rosco
Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 PM

I think you mean Rob at Alchemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoGuy View Post
Mike had just finished with the gathering of the parts and fitting the slide and Frame as well as breaking some of the edges and cosmetics when He suffered the Fall that resulted in the chain of events that lead to his Death.

Jim At Alchemy did the lion's share of the work, and with each conversation he made sure to keep in mind Mike's original Intent and Idea's often with me Calling him back after discussing the matter with Mike. Mike was a devotee of using original NIB GI 1911 Spring steel Extractors on his builds because they were the right material for the job and that is what JMB wanted. Jim and I had an interesting conversation the day after he fit the Extractor and the EGW firing pin stop. Being a Professional myself; I know how hard it is to pick up someone Else's torch and run with it and not completely turn it into your own project. It shows the heart of a true master to be able to do so with such elegance as Jim demonstrated during this project. Of course we did infuse the whole project with Jim's touch and style...Mike was so very impressed with Jim and his work and was unabashed when he showered his praise on it.

I must also thank Dave Severns who rushed through the Hard Hat treatment in what seemed like record time. Another testament to the brotherhood that lives within the small group of 1911 Masters.

I am the luckiest man alive to have the touch of two masters on my dream Gun Project...Now I will have to Let Jim do another for me that reflects his whole heart and soul and philosophy...

Endoguy
Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 PM

Alchemy:

It is my understanding Rob is your Bullseye Guy...I do Believe Mike and Rob knew one another from the old days, and at Camp Perry.

Endoguy
Old 09-14-2013, 12:55 PM

No. I (Rob) own the company. Jim Budde is the Custom Shop Manager here. A friend of ours, Jim Knapp used to run in the same circles as Mike. The only work Jim Knapp does for me is bluing. I finished the frame/slide fit, and fit most of the parts. Jim Budde did the blending and prep work for finish as well as final assembly. The gun was barreled by Mark Brand. He is probably one of the best "hard fit" barrel guys I have seen. We actually did put the gun in Jim Knapp's hands when it was complete and he called it an "X Ring" gun. Our testing proved that out.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:26 PM

Sorry ROB: I am SO bad with names! I am an Endo Geek! My Nurses and I ran into a Patient at lunch one day a few weeks ago and I had a wonderful 5-10 minute conversation with them. When they left My nurse ask if I knew the patients name, I told her I didn't have a clue, but I recognized them and the Thyroidectomy scar and knew the case well. They kind of laugh at me on a daily basis and accuse me of only knowing my name because it is on my script pad. My Nurse on the other hand knows every patient by name.

What I do know is that the quality of service I received from Alchemy was above the top! and that I want another weapon done by them.

Sorry about that ROB! All my conversations with you were wonderful as we progressed through the build. I couldn't have ask for a Better experience or a more responsive shop. But I really suck at names.

Endoguy

Last edited by EndoGuy; 09-14-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 PM

Grats on a nice 1911, thanks for sharing the story
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM

I, too am bad at the name thing. I just thought I would straighten the whole thing out.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Great work Rob!! I love these Alchemy jobs.....Gets my lips wet for when mine is done!!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Beautiful Gun EndoGuy, I too enjoyed the craftsmanship and professionalism of Alchemy.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:30 PM

That's a gorgeous 1911!

Pretty much exactly as I'd spec one myself. You have good taste!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 AM

I would love to get back in touch with James Knapp . . . I toured with him and he built my .45 ball gun, back in '86.

Beautiful craftsmanship . . .
Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM

PM me, I can give you his contact information.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:14 PM

Dang thats a pretty pistol and pretty close to how I like mine.

Makes me more excited about mine.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 PM

Rob at Alchemy Custom is truly makes it easy to have the gun you want. I purchased an off the shelf 1911 and sent it to him to get what I wanted in it. I am glad I called on him, even if he is on the other side of the continent from me.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 PM

Beautiful pistol! I appreciate the simple elegance of your 1911.