1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsix View Post
Agreed! I was just trying to find some earthly reason why the mag safety exists. I hear that some police depts, train their officers in weapon retention where they may drop the mag if they feel they are about to lose the gun. I always thought this was nonsense but I am not a cop so what do I know.

I have been a Police Officer for over 14 years and had various duty sidearms with and without mag safeties. I subscribe to both, because I have actually seen a mag safety save the life of my fellow officer and friend. He was on a domestic and the thug knew he had an active warrant on file and when my buddy ran his want check he looked towards the female in the domestic awaiting dispatch return and the thug sucker punched him shattering his jaw then grabbed his duty weapon at the time we had sucky snap holsters with no retention and while my buddy in unimaginable pain fought with this dirtbag to retain his weapon he realized he was losing conciousness so he had the prescence of mind to hid the mag release rendering the gun usless, the thug pulled the trigger after he put the gun up to my unconcious buddies head atleast that was the account of the victim girl on scene and then he ran outta the apartment as we arrived and we kicked his ass because he still resisted and he joined our buddy at the ER. SO, tht event and the fact that when you get off duty all you have to do is drop your mag or keep ur mag away from your gun incase kids in the house pick it up it takes seconds to recover the mag and put the gun in to action. But I do agree in the Browning it makes the trigger oh so sweet to have it removed.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Anyone know what sized punches (or nails) are required for this?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Not off the top of my head but they are pretty small. If you have a 1/32" that should be plenty small enough.

If you are looking to buy punches for this job, my advice is to get a good set. A cheap set of punches is worthless. You can skimp on some tools but certain ones need to be made of decent steel and made well. A good set of punches will outlast several cheap sets so even if you only break even in the end, you are still up because you have had better tools.

I bought a cheap set so I know from experience. I got a set from Harbor freight and the steel ones bend like they are made from brass. The brass ones snap as if they were made from glass. Brittle brass and sooft steel? Who needs it?

I want to stress that this is a mod that can be easy or hard. It depends on your tools, gun and skill. The first time I did it, I didn't have decent punches and that combined with the fact that the pin was hard to get out made it a tough job that really pissed me off. The last time I did it (with my FEG), it was so easy I almost thought I did something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklbucla View Post
Is it easy to do on the SFS models or is it only the SA's that are giving people problems?
Yes, it works. I just did it to mine. The small trigger pin was a pain to get out, but after a few good whacks is came out. It REALLY improves the trigger.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:03 AM

Another HUGE thanks for posting this little DIY.

I just did it and after some dry-firing drills, I have to say, my trigger feels a lot better.

(its about time I signed up here seeing as my only pistols are a 1911 and a BHP)

-Brit
Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 AM

Thank you for these detailed instructions. It took me very little time and effort with a hammer and 2 mm punch to get rid of the mag safety. Now the mags fall off the gun as they IMHO should and the trigger feel is really nice considering my Mk III has seen very little use so far - but that'll change now.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

Fall to half cock upon slide release?

After removal of the magazine disconnect, has anyone experienced the hammer falling to the half cock position?

Thanks,

salty
Old 04-30-2008, 03:15 PM

did mine and a friends too. both shoot great now. thanks for the info.........and pics
Old 05-25-2008, 12:55 AM

Bought a 9mm Practcal NIB. The trigger was brutally stiff. What a difference! That totally fixed the things I didn't like about it (couldn't drop the hammer without the mag, stiff trigger). Many thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 AM

works great!!!

i bought my '76 hi power standard about a week ago and i hated the mag safety cause it would make the mag stick and i'd have to do pull it out by hand. but it took like 10-15 mins BETTER TRIGGER PULL and the mag slides right out like my old 1911 mags so im really happy and thanks for posting this. now i just need to work on changing the spur hammer to a commander style and extending the thumb safety.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog452 View Post
After removal of the magazine disconnect, has anyone experienced the hammer falling to the half cock position?
Hello Salty,

I don't think it should affect that either way. My disconnect has been removed, with no problems.

Hankster
Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 PM

For those that removed the trigger pin left to right. Have you had any problems with the trigger pin walking out?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 PM

VERY simple....thanks for all the pics and directions! 5 to 10 mins.....trigger tricky to get back up in there at the right spot....need 3 hands!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 AM

Old mechanic\machinist trick......

Just bought a used hi power 40 cal..yep, you knew it..trigger pull issue which fast became a trigger pin and trigger spring pin issue...immediately logged onto forum and found this thread....THANK YOU... for the pictures and every one's feedback. Let me share some of mine which might save someone from marring their gun or damaging receiver frame... Taping frame is good...using a 1/4" brass punch and hammer I "whacked" trigger pin a good wallup. No move. Read some threads..whacked a harder wallup...Stopped. Got out oil, applied. Placed receiver back on hard surface and lightly tapped punch in repetitive strokes allowing oil to vibrate into the metal with each tap. Then wacked a wallup and pin moved. Once pin moved flush with frame I downsized to appropriate sized punch to remove pin. Repeated same process with small pin punch, only longer to move the trigger spring pin. Light taps first to work oil in and then kept hitting punch harder until moving pin.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

salty

Never.............

Keith Richards
Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 AM

I assume everyone's seen this, too?

http://230grain.com/showthread.php?t=1521
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial.

Everything wend smoothly except for the pin removal holding the mag safety "plunger" to the trigger. The nail method would not work as the nails kept bending. Came out fine with the proper sized punch.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I assume everyone's seen this, too?

http://230grain.com/showthread.php?t=1521
I would not recommend removal of the pin whilst the trigger is still in the frame. The reasonably high potential for damage to the pistol is not worth the risk.

Keith Richards
Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 PM

For some reason the pictures aren't loading for me. Is there some other site or area on here for the same procedure?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 AM

Pictures restored and moved to new server. Enjoy and be safe.

Keith Richards
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM

Trigger job with less over travel and reset, CHEAP!

If you really want to make it better, disassemble the trigger/mag safety from the pistol. Take out the mag safety pin, mag safety plunger will shoot out if not held in place with a piece of black electrical tape. Press down on the tape and it will make an impression where the pin is. Knock the pin out, take the tape loose while holding the mag safety. Remove the spring and tape, clean the trigger assembly and the mag safety with brake cleaner. Let dry, then apply #609 green Loc-Tite to the mag safety tube and install in the trigger with the claw side down. Let assembly sit for 3 hours with the trigger upright on the mag safety on a piece of wax paper. The claw with act as a trigger over travel/reset reducer. With the hammer down you will notice just under 1/8" travel, with the hammer fully cocked just under 1/16" to sear engagement. You probably could mill off a minute bit off of the back of the trigger before installing the mag safety, but it will only improve it by a minute fraction. Any more than doing it this way will result in the trigger bar hitting the slide on reassembly. Even though the mag safety is in there it no longer is a mag safety. The mags drop free and you will have a much more likable trigger job without more over travel and reset and for only the cost of a small tube of #609 Loc-Tite and 3 hours of patience.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Salty........re your hammer falling to the half cock after removing the mag disconnect......field strip the gun and look down on the trigger in good light and make sure the tail of the trigger return spring is in the correct slot. There is a slot on the right, near the lifter, which is the slot it's supposed to ride in. But a lot of guys mistakenly put it into the junction of the lifter and trigger body, which is a false slot to the left of the slot it's supposed to be in. If it's in the wrong place, your trigger might not be returning to battery after the shot. I don't know if this is the problem or not, but it's a common error and a place to start. Best wishes.

JayPee
Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 PM

ok, so if none of the tricks mentioned above work. its either:

a) im not hitting the hammer hard enough.
b) i need a 1 ton press.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
im not hitting the hammer hard enough
Your supposed to use the hammer to do the hitting

Now crack a beer, drink it, quit hammering that punch like a girl.

Keith Richards
Old 01-30-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadz View Post
Your supposed to use the hammer to do the hitting

Now crack a beer, drink it, quit hammering that punch like a girl.

lol maybe i had too much beer to begin with. i need to get some steel punches, my brass ones can't take it. they all look like ~ now