Mag safety removal pics - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-23-2006, 12:38 PM

Success!!

With the pictures on that post I was able to remove the mag disconnector. Hardest part by far was getting the big pin out. Many thanks to Mr. Camp.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Tried as hard as I could, I couldn't do mine on my own. I had to have Alan Tanaka use a press to get the pins out for me.

It was a newer SFS model.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Just a note of thanks for the instructions. I'm new to BHP, being a 1911 fan. I soaked the pivot pin with "Kano Kroil" lubricant prior to pinching it out from the right (domed) side. It came out like butter - only a light tap got it to move. The rest was very easy - thanks to the pictures you posted. Now, the trigger feels smooth and breaks clean...

Thanks again...

Decker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the clear instructions and the pictures. This took 10 minutes with both my FN HP and my Charles Daly HP.

The difference in both of their trigger pulls is amazing!
Old 03-03-2007, 04:20 PM

Just did it to my new .40 new production HP. Worked like a champ. I'm getting reaady to bob the hammer next...
Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM

OK... I just removed the mag safety but now I can't seem to get the trigger assembly back together.

Not sure what the long piece is that sits in the trigger, but I CAN'T get the trigger assembly back together in the pistols frame.

Any tricks or ways to get this to work? Does this go in as one piece or separate?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM

I just did mine yesterday, and without a doubt, getting the trigger assmebly back in was the tricky-est part. I didn't discover any trick to it, I just kept working at it, and made sure I didn't force it in (after all, it did come out ok...)
Old 03-08-2007, 03:54 PM

thanks... about 20 minutes after posting... I managed to get it all back together. Now I need to go shoot and see how she does.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:25 PM

My first one took an hour. 5 minutes to get everything out, 55 minutes to get the trigger back in. It gets easier with practice.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:02 PM

I finally got some time to tinker around with my mag safety. I broke out the magnifying glass so these old eyes could get a close look at what I was doing. Referencing nomadz post and then reading some of the other posts about having troubles getting the pin out I wanted to know exactly what I was getting into before I started banging on my baby.

Here is something I observed. The trigger pin groove ( which the trigger return spring slips into to lock the trigger pin into place) is beveled on one side but rather squared off on the other side of the groove. On my particular pin, the bevel was on the left side and the squared off side was on the right (looking down into the top with the butt towards you). This means that if I tapped my pin out left to right, then the trigger return spring would slip easily up the bevel and over the pin. If I were to try to tap the pin out from right to left, then the spring would catch on the squared off edge and would not slip over the pin, thus making it impossible to remove the pin in this direction.

So....I lay the gun on its right side and give the pin a gentle tap and out it came. Now came my second observation. The trigger pin itself seems to be slightly beveled lengthwise since the further I tapped it from left to right, the tighter it got. I was able to tap it completly out with only slight effort. Once the trigger was out, I tried inserting the trigger pin through the frame from both sides and found it went through the frame smoothly from right to left but got tight going from left to right.

My assumption is....the pin was designed to be removed from right to left. However, the groove in the trigger pin may be the determining factor as to which way you actually have to remove the pin.

I hope my observations will possibly help someone else out there who would like to remove their mag safety also. Once I finished examining the gun to see how things were put together the actual work only took about 5 minutes. Probably one of the simplest things I have ever done on a gun. Even the EASY button couldn't have made this any easier.

Thanks nomadz and everyone else who posted their experiences....it was a big help.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:15 AM

trigger pin removal

The use of a gunsmiths /Machinest's concave punch will help, it sits right on the dome of the pin. Mine are all made to be removed from the right (domed end of pin) to the left and installed the opposite way. I have made a jig to hold the frame from moving (blocks of Poplar screwed in place to hold it over the base that has a 3/4" Hole about the same depth directly under the pin) and a small metal plate that I have drilled the proper hole size of the pin. I have taped the back with duct tape to cushion it against the frame. Two small pieces of sticky carpet tape cut to size hold it in place. After I buggered up the first one, I made this and have since done all four of my browning Hp pistols. (I also learned how to refinish with KG Gunkote after the first episode, and now will refinish all but the hardchrome .40. I then put the wolff guns springs kit for reduced trigger pull in all. Massive improvement in all , immediately.

Last edited by ray2001; 04-13-2007 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:39 AM

Just finished doing a Mk III S with no trouble. One note: if the trigger pin or the mag disconnect pins are stuck, put a drop of "Liquid Wrench" by Gunk on each end of the pin and give it a few moments to soak in. After doing so, both of my pins came out with minimal tapping.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Can't get trigger pin out, but?

Hey guys I have a Browning Hi Power MK.III in 9mm. I love my Hi Power, but the trigger is pretty bad. I was looking at the C&S wide combat trigger, but I wanted to see what difference it would make with just removing the magazine safety from the factory trigger first. I removed the slide and put some electrical tape over the pin and used some gunsmith punches and tried to drift out the pin from left to right, and right to left with no luck. I used some WD40 and let it soak, and still no luck. I put the frame in a smooth jawed vice and gave the pin a few good whacks, but it still wouldn't budge. I thought just for the heck of it I would try to drift out the pin that holds the magazine safety in. A couple of gentle taps and that pin came right out. My question now is, is that the only pin holding the magazine safety in? And if it is should I put that pin back in or leave it out. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info
Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 PM

Good info in this thread !!

Nomadz...I want to thank you for the good info and easy to understand pix you posted...I did my mag connector removal in about 20-30 minutes. It woul've been quicker but I thought I would never get that pin out of the spring-disconnector. My trigger pull is much improved and the mags fall free now. Thanks again...HHersh
Old 01-19-2008, 05:36 PM

No go. I hit the pin so hard that I bent my punch. I guess I will just have to live with it. I don't have a press

EDIT: One hour later I got the pin out. It had to come out right to left. It was a bit of a bugger to put back together though. All is well now. The mag just falls out when you push the mag catch button now. That is what I wanted the most. I was tired of having to pick out the mag with my fingernails.

Last edited by leecreekkid; 01-19-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:17 PM

I know this is an old thread

But I just did the removal

It's 11pm the wife is visiting relatives and I'm bored so I just used the tools I had on hand

Pipe wrench for a hammer and an 8penny nail and an old ice pick for punches

Took the requisite 10 to 15 minutes and the FEG does not even feel like the same gun
Beautiful light crisp trigger

The factory mag drops free cleanly but the after markets don't
I have to help them out to even get them started
Looking at them the notches need to be reamed out a bit

Now I just have to bob this vicious hammer
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 PM

Removed my mag safety over the weekend. Took about 1/2 hour. Told my friend I removed it. He asked me to help him with his because this site was down over the weekend. His took about 10 minutes to do. It would have taken less time but the mag safety pin wouldn't budge with the punch. In fact he bent the punch doing it. I told him to use a finish nail. It didn't bend and the pin came right out. Funny though. His mag safety boot was smooth and mine had serrations like the treads on a tire. In any case we both have 2 brand new guns compared to when the mag safety's were still in. The gun is even more accurate with the safety removed. Thanks for the pics and the procedure!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:21 AM

I took my mag safety out yesterday. I left the trigger in the gun, and braced the trigger with a block of wood to support the trigger and frame at the same time. I knocked the mag safety pin out, but the plunger would not come out, so I then knocked the trigger pin out right to left, and rotated the trigger up and back, and the plunger and spring shot out. I then rotated the trigger back down, and replaced the trigger pin left to right. About 5 mins. and the trigger never left the gone completely. Just glad I didn't have the stubborn pins you guys are experiencing.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 AM

I just wanted to say thanks for this posting. I bought my HP in 1980 but I could never hit anything with it, so it alway sat in the safe.I let a couple of friends shoot it over the years, but they both said it needed a trigger job and I never wanted to spend the money. I happen upon this posting by accident. After spending thirty mins. taking the mag safety out, all I can say is WOW!! I wish I could known this 27 years ago.

Thank You
Dave S.

Last edited by baddog59; 03-10-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:57 AM

Glad I did this. Stay Safe and enjoy those P-35's

Keith Richards
Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the info and pics. Just did one of my .40's and my 9 mm. Worked great!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:06 PM

I just did this on my FEG I got on Sat. It worked great and no problems with the action after. It actually had a decent trigger to start with so it didn't make a huge improvment in the pull but it did improve it.

I also love the drop free feature now! That was a PITA to have to pull the mags out of the gun.

It is worth doing this mod just to get rid of the mag safety. Now I can check the gun even without a mag in it and return the hammer to the down position. Without getting too much into it, I feel mag safeties are less safe than gun without them. If you count on your mag safety to protect you in any way, you shouldn't have a gun in the first place. Mag safeties are true idiot devices. Unless you are a cop on duty, I can't think of a single reason why you would ever want on on a gun.

BTW, the mod went pretty smooth on my FEG HP clone. That was the second time I did it. The first time I removed a mag safety from a HP was when I had my FM Detective. That was a BEAR! I had to really fight with that pin!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Unless you are a cop on duty, I can't think of a single reason why you would ever want on on a gun
The Last thing we want on a Duty gun.

Keith Richards
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadz View Post
The Last thing we want on a Duty gun.
Agreed! I was just trying to find some earthly reason why the mag safety exists. I hear that some police depts, train their officers in weapon retention where they may drop the mag if they feel they are about to lose the gun. I always thought this was nonsense but I am not a cop so what do I know.