Removable Beaver Tail for Hi Power - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 11:34 PM

I only have thick tape so it won't snuggle down yet but it fits flush.

I have to finish the edges to remove gaps but this is the general ideal. It will be even thinner in metal.

Any thoughts for revisions?
Attached Thumbnails
0-2.jpeg   0-6.jpeg   0-1.jpeg   0-3.jpeg   0-4.jpeg  
Old 01-18-2020, 11:42 PM

Also wider when viewed from above. And again, ignore the gaps in fitting. It will be flush once in metal.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0815.png  

Last edited by MaverickDMD; 01-18-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:00 AM

You asked for opinions, so here's my $0.02.

The first handgun I ever bought was a BHP. I have owned several over the years. Hammer bite has never been an issue for me with either 9mm or .40 cal. I prefer the spur hammer over the round combat hammer. My hands are long, wide and thin, but not meaty. Think piano player. So I personally have no need for a beavertail on BHPs or 1911s.

But, there are lots of people who would benefit from a beavertail. Your solution seems a viable and economical option. Innovative. You say you have patented it. Approved vs "applied for" I assume.

If it were me, I wouldn't even attempt to start up a machining, manufacturing business the firearms industry in the current environment. I would, instead, work toward licensing my patented innovation to an established and highly esteemed firm that is already successful in the business.

Yep. I'd go door to door with the top tier companies capable of manufacturing, selling, and performing quality custom work to install my innovation.

...and the first door I would knock on would be Mr. Bill Wilson's. Nobody has been more successful in designing, manufacturing and selling premium quality parts / accessories. Failing that, I would go talk with the folks at Brownell's.

Just saying... and best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 10:28 AM

I like the look of the Gen 2. I think it would be a great option for us with big hands that don't want to swap hammers or go to an SFS system!
Old 01-19-2020, 12:36 PM

Thanks Thunderin300. I don't like how the SFS system alters the look of the gun either. Hammer swapping as you say is a bigger job than it seems as well. I think a reversible option to eliminate hammer bite is the best option as well.

As another reader has suggested, there is likely little profit from such a device. However, if brought to market by whomever if the price point were affordable, then it would improve the user experience when using the Hi Power.

There have been so many improvements to the Hi Power by many companies and as of yet an easy option to eliminate hammer bite is the missing piece of the puzzle.

Last edited by MaverickDMD; 01-19-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:41 PM

Looks good
Old 01-19-2020, 10:40 PM

Someone made a plastic backstrap/beaver tail a few years ago for the BHP
I have one somewhere
Idea was interesting, but changed the feel of the grip too much
The grip screw was used on each side to secure the plastic piece
The wings fit under the grip panels
This idea might work better than drilling and tapping

Not my monkeys
Not my circus
Not my problem
Old 01-20-2020, 10:29 AM

I can't guess the marketability but it would sure serve a purpose.
I am not much subject to hammer bite, but recall the friend who handed back my P210 and said, "You might want to wipe the blood off your gun."

If I had a Tisas or one of those well worn Israeli turn-ins to bite me, I would more likely start grinding on the hammer until it let me alone.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:32 PM

I think the option of returning to original, as if nothing ever happened, is a seductive alternative - whether the gun is a beater or collectable. JMHO YMMV
Old 01-28-2020, 03:23 PM

Prototype fits Tisas, Inglis and T Series Hi Power so it will be a universal fit for us.

T Series shown below.
Attached Thumbnails
0.jpeg