Removable Beaver Tail for Hi Power - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 05:30 PM

Removable Beaver Tail for Hi Power

I've been able to make a metal beaver tail for the BHP. It's screwed in to a tapped hole that needs to be drilled into the tang near the top of the back strap.

I've patented this and am thinking of making it for sale. Does this seem like something that Hi Power owners would consider? Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2020, 06:12 PM

Everyone that gets hammer bite is a possible buyer. Unles the HP is collectable or the user never had a hammer bite them.

Pics?
Old 01-10-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDMD View Post
I've been able to make a metal beaver tail for the BHP. It's screwed in to a tapped hole that needs to be drilled into the tang near the top of the back strap.

I've patented this and am thinking of making it for sale. Does this seem like something that Hi Power owners would consider? Thoughts?
Drilling & tapping a vintage pistol puts me off almost as bad as welding on.

If someone would design a Grip with half a Beavertail - that joined flush in the middle - & was attractive - I bet it would be excepted a lot better.
Just my $.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 08:04 PM

Not for me.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:23 PM

Post a photo.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:40 AM

While many, me included, suffer hammer bite from the Hi Power, having to drill and tap a precisely located hole is going to put off most HP owners. Especially now that the HP has been discontinued, and prices for even well used surplus examples have risen.

FWIW, there are, or at least used to be, beavertails available for the Swiss SIG P210, attached with an adhesive. Might adhesive, or something as crasig suggested, be an option with your design?
Old 01-11-2020, 04:24 PM

Here are some photos as requested. Take special note that all modifications were done on a Tisas - no Browning Hi Powers were harmed in the process.

Now bear in mind that this is still just a prototype. It was installed by a ham-fisted gunsmith. A slightly cockeyed fit resulted - the original is VERY well adapted to the tang. Note also that the gunsmith decided to install it PERMANENTLY with a ribbed pin AND bobbed the stock hammer while he was at it (Arrggghh!!). Bobbing the stock hammer is NOT necessary.

So now I have another Tisas. This time in stainless steel.

I can still alter the final design(s) as needed. For example, one version can have a countersunk hole to accept a flat/oval head fine thread machine screw while the other could be for a thin adhesive strip. Separate versions or a universal version could be made for either intended application or both. Either blued (black) or Stainless Steel or any finish.

The countersunk version provides a countersunk pilot hole for an included drill and tap so that, in theory, it could be installed DIY with a hand drill. The adhesive version would perhaps need to extend a bit farther down the backstrap to allow more grip surface area and mechanical resistance to being dislodged. (Of note, this adhesive version has been done by another Interneter before but in thick plastic - it was flimsy, very bulky and, frankly, butt-ugly which not becoming of the sleek lines of the Hi Power!)

Anyhow, this beavertail has completely solved the hammer bite situation for me. I tried the Cylinder & Slide "no bite" hammer which for me did not work at all. Besides, it involved replacing the hammer to an aftermarket which also involved changing the sear and fitting the two. This has now become a gunsmith-level alteration so it's not cheap or easy.

Best of all, this beavertail might not involve altering the gun at all. At most a single hole would be drilled which would be easy to spot repair. The adhesive version although perhaps more conspicuous would not require any alteration of the gun whatsoever.

Let me know your thoughts as I can incorporate suggestions into the final design. My next step is to cast up the final and show it on here.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0751.jpg   IMG_0736.jpg   IMG_0738.jpg   IMG_0745.jpg   IMG_0732.jpg   IMG_0748.jpg  

IMG_0747.jpg   IMG_0775.jpg   IMG_0771.jpg   IMG_0773.jpg  
Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 PM

Aesthetically, yours looks better than some photos of professionally welded on beavertails I've seen. Along the same line, I think your version might look better if it didn't taper down so much from the width of the Hi Power frame. Best of luck in your endeavor..
Old 01-11-2020, 10:34 PM

I see you had to remove some metal from the back end of the hammer.

I wonder if when the hammer is being recocked and the slide is powering the hammer backward if there is enough space in the beavertail recess to never be hit by the hammer?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:26 PM

"and am thinking of making it for sale. Does this seem like something that Hi Power owners would consider? Thoughts?"

Since my T-series Hi Power is shaped differently from my Tisas BR9 in that area, probably not.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:32 PM

To gnappi: The gunsmith I used for install did this - the stock hammer remains untouched. There is internal dip in the tail to accommodate the round shape of the hammer with clearance when the slide slams rearwards. This is why I was so pissed when the smith did this.

Last edited by MaverickDMD; 01-11-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:34 PM

To Jim Cunn: The beavertail fits exactly to my Inglis. I am unsure of the T series but I'd be surprised to find a difference there.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:40 AM

OK, if you say so.

I've owned my T for fifty years. It is unmodified and still stock in that area. So is my new Tisas. There are many rather subtle differences in shape between the two. This area is one of them.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:57 AM

How about a photo of the two together?
Old 01-12-2020, 04:37 AM

Of all the HP that I own, or have owned, only two have bit me: my Practical and a FEG. A C&S No-bite Hammer cured the Practical and the SFS fixed the FEG. There are existing fixes for HP hammer bite. For me, a beaver tail on a BHP is not attractive and drilling/tapping a Classic firearm is not a option.
Good luck in your endeavors.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."

Last edited by tractor; 01-12-2020 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 AM

There are definitely some dimensional differences in High Powers thru the years.

That said, I believe that learning how to properly hold the High Power for shooting cures any hammer bite and improves accuracy.

Adding the SFS device also cures hammer bite and without any permanent modifications.

For beaver tail fans, I suppose this is an option. In the photos it looks pretty cool! I would never do such a mod.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:52 PM

Thank you to all of you for your responses and comments, they have been very useful. From what I see, the focus towards developing an adhesive based attachment is likely the way forward, and I agree that avoiding the need to permanently alter the gun is preferable.

In response to those of you who were concerned that the beaver tail would only fit certain models, I have discovered that the particular area of attachment has in fact not been altered throughout the evolution of the gun and therefore this part is a universal fit.

As with any aftermarket part, this is intended for those of us who want to have a simple fix to hammer bite. As a man with large hands, initially I made it only for myself. It wasn't until I saw how well the piece complimented the gun and how significantly it changed my enjoyment of using it that I decided to see if there was any interest in the rest of the Hi Power community.

If there is anyone here who would be interested in product testing, I'll take the contact info of the first few people and can send you one to try out once I have them manufactured. All I ask is that you give honest feedback! Hopefully, one of you who is NOT certain that it is a good idea will also be a product tester, as your feedback would also be helpful once you have tried it.

Remember this is just a removable, and completely reversible instant fix to hammer bite for the Hi Power. It does not permanently alter the look of the gun and its slide stop or safeties or trigger pull, nor does it require major surgeries to its internals like the SFS system does.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:52 PM

Though the profile of the beaver tail does nothing to improve the appearance of the elegant Hi Power design....I suppose if potential '..hammer bite..' is a problem for a shooter, then it's probably a good, low-cost solution.

But, as there is some question as to the slightly altered dimensions of various vintages of Hi Powers and clones, it would certainly be a good idea to verify that this after-market part will fit without modification.

More research may well be required and/or....Back to the drawing board BEFORE you go into production.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:58 PM

Hence the product testing offer.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:58 PM

I don't have a problem with hammer bite on either of mine, so won't be mounting one.
But, if you send me one, I will check the fit on both the T and the BR9 and return it to you.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:14 PM

Great! Thanks so much Jim. I'll send you a PM for particulars once it's ready.

FWIW I've tried it on a Tisas, an FN Inglis and a friend's C series and so far they are all a sleek fit.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:31 PM

If I had a hammer bite develop on one of my collection of Hi Powers drilling a hole in it would not even rate consideration, I think I would simply put one of my shooting gloves on. I find your device aesthetically unpleasant on the Hi Power but I should think there are others who differ in opinion.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:57 PM

It's not my cup of tea either, but I respect and support his efforts.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:29 PM

I've made a new prototype type, made strictly for a 2-sided tape application. This version requires no alteration of the gun as it is completely removable.

I've had to lengthen it down the back strap slightly for better adhesion but by keeping it a millimeter thick it doesn't change the grip in a detectable way.

Please let me know your feedback as I can still alter its shape in any way.

Thanks! (I'll post pics shortly once I get a recharge)
Old 01-18-2020, 07:41 PM

Without shooting gloves a box of ammo will leave me bloody with my HP. for perspective I stretch 2XL gloves when I get them so they are comfortable. I like the idea of not having to wear shooting gloves when I shoot the HP. Count me as interested and a willing product tester.